MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
Certain countires people have vision problems

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Certain countires people have vision problems
Has anyone noticed that people that have a name that sounds like they are from the country of India seek vision improvement?
Alot of people that contact my web site, asking for help in vision improvement, have names that sound Indian.
Maybe its a different country.
I cant give the names due to confidentiality.
Is the Indian or other culture/country lacking in a specific food, nutrition?
Some lifestyle... affecting their eyesight? Ozone layer depletion at high altitude?
It's possibly due to the huge boom in Indian cities of information based jobs. The increase of folks now in front of computers all day must be unprecedented. With that cultures history with mind/body arts such as yoga and the fact that English is required for many of these tech jobs it is no wonder our Indian and Pakistani friends are searching for relief for eye troubles through the Internet. A guess, but I bet a pretty good one!
In my opinion, its the asian people who frequently wear glasses. Most people i know that are asians wear glasses.. Maybe due to close work studying?
Sounds right.

I remember a television program about eye doctors going into 'high mountainous country' to remove cataracts for hundreds of people. They may have been of a darker skin color, but not Black/African.
They did the cartaract operations for free.
Does anyone remember this show. I dont remember if they told the cause of the catarcts.
These people may of been poor and lived a primitive life, no computers.
It was broadcast about 8 years ago and I remember being frustrated because the doctors were not saying what the cause and prevention is.
Maybe I missed that part.
I looked on google and found that of all the internet searches for 'eyesight improvement', singapore ranks the highest! I imagine the numbers must have been normalized by population.

I have heard that myopia is most prevalent in asian countries. I don't think that it is because of genetics. I think it's more likely that they have much higher pressure to perform highly in school, many of them studying 14+ hours per day. I guess you can imagine if you have to study that much to get to college, then that's a lot of stress and nearly no sunshine! This is just what I've heard from news and friends coming from China, Taiwan, Singapore, etc...
Yes, Sorrisi, that's exactly what I was thinking: stress to perform well at school.
Dear Sean,

The magnitude of "myopia" has to be "seen" to be believed.

It is my belief that if preventive (Bates/Prentice) methods were started
before that first minus, and Snellens were cleared under the PARENT'S
control -- we would not have this massive problem.

Question: What is done the prevent this?

FIRST-YEAR HONG KONG UNIVERSITY STUDENTS 87.5 % MYOPIC

o Goh and Lam (Goh, W.S. and Lam, C.S., "Changes in refractive
trends and optical components of Hong Kong Chinese aged 19-39
years," Ophthal. Physiol. Opt., 14:378-382, 1994) found that
in 2000 first-year students at the University of Hong Kong,
the prevalence of myopia was 87.5%.

MYOPIA PREVALENCE IS ALWAYS HIGHER THAN 92 PERCENT
FOR TAIWAN MEDICAL STUDENTS

o Lin et al (Lin, L.K., Shih, Y.F., Lee, Y.C., Hung, P.T., and
Hou, P.K., " Changes in ocular refraction and its components
among medical students - a 5-year longitudinal study", Optom.
Vis. Sci., 73:495-498, 1996) found that in a study of 345
National Taiwan University medical students, the myopia
prevalence increased from 92.8% to 95.8% over the five year
period.

OPTOMETRY STUDENTS 72 PERCENT MYOPIC

o Lam and Yap (Lam, C.S. and Yap, M. "Ocular dimensions and
refraction in Chinese Orientals", Proc. Int. Soc. Eye Res.,
6:121, 1990) found that in a group of optometry students at
The Hong Kong Polytechnic University, the prevalence of myopia
was 75% in females and 69% in males.

70 PERCENT MYOPIC AT AGES 16 TO 17 YEARS OLD

o Regarding the prevalence of myopia in Asian countries, Lam and
Goh (Lam, C.S. and Goh, W.S., "The incidence of refractive
errors among schoolchildren in Hong Kong in relationship with
the optical components", Clin. Exp. Optom., 74:97-103, 1991)
found that in 383 school children from ages 6 to 17 years, the
prevalence of myopia increased from 30% at ages 6-7 years, to
70% at ages 16-17 years.
clarknight Wrote:Sounds right.

I remember a television program about eye doctors going into 'high mountainous country' to remove cataracts for hundreds of people. They may have been of a darker skin color, but not Black/African.
They did the cartaract operations for free.
Does anyone remember this show. I dont remember if they told the cause of the catarcts.
These people may of been poor and lived a primitive life, no computers.
It was broadcast about 8 years ago and I remember being frustrated because the doctors were not saying what the cause and prevention is.
Maybe I missed that part.

Hi Clarknight,

From Natural Vision Improvement by Janet Goodrich:

"People in Australia often ask me about cataract formatio nwhen I discuss the possibility of leaving their leaving off sunglasses in this especially brillient landscape. They've likely heard of the survey done in Australia with 10,000 people over all parts of the country. The occurance of cataracts was correlated with the zones of average daily sunshine. In areas of higher ultraviolet radiation there were more and earlier cataracts, especially among the Aboriginies. The researchers made referance to the chemistry of those eyes that were developing cataracts in high sun areas. The clouding of the lens 'is inhibited by physiological levels of ascorbate (vitamin C) and glutathione (a substance that carries oxygen).' (Lancet, 5 Dec 1981)"

Cheers, JW

TEST YOUR VISION AT HOME!
- Free Eye Chart PDFs

• 20 ft, 10 ft, and Near Vision Charts
  • Letters Calibrated to Correct Printed Size
Download Now