MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
Clear flash after closing eyes for few seconds. - Printable Version
Eyesight Improvement Forum
Clear flash after closing eyes for few seconds. - Printable Version

+- Eyesight Improvement Forum (https://www.iblindness.org/forum)
+-- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.iblindness.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Bates Method (https://www.iblindness.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: Clear flash after closing eyes for few seconds. (/showthread.php?tid=1966)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Re: Clear flash after closing eyes for few seconds. - Skywalker - 11-21-2011

Did some tests on chart from <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.vision-training.com/Download/Eyecharts/Eyechart%20Black%20on%20White.pdf">http://www.vision-training.com/Download ... 0White.pdf</a><!-- m -->

Best line I could read with both eyes was 20/30, best line with only left eye was 20/40 and best line with only right eye was 20/70, strange...
But I'm not sure I'm standing at 3 meters need to do some measurments.

I think I will practice more with chart because after this my eyes are pretty relaxed.

Re: Clear flash after closing eyes for few seconds. - Skywalker - 11-22-2011

Yesterday night I noticed that palming is probably don't helping me. Why? Because I'm practicing palming every evening before sleep and after this I'm not seeing results like after continously closing eyes for short time. Is it normal? Or am I doing something wrong?

Re: Clear flash after closing eyes for few seconds. - arocarty - 11-22-2011

Hi ,

No, it isn't even unusual for somebody to strain more when they palm. Bates often found that to be the case, and just had them learn other techniques and come back to it at a later time, if they even needed to. It seems that closing the eyes has somehow gotten the status of being an inferior technique, and palming, like a rite of passage that one must go through to get to the promise land. It just isn't so. Closing the eyes was one of the most used techniques of Bates, usually the first thing he had a patient do. He used it extensively to help cultivate the memory and imagination techniques, as well as with 'flashing,' - closing the eyes and then just opening them for a second or so, shutting them again before strain reasserts itself.

If you've given it a fair trial, and don't connect with it right now, don't agonize over it. There's a lot of other things that can be practiced and learned. For whatever reason you seem to be able to connect with closing your eyes much better. I found the same to be true, after what was probably years of overlooking such a simple thing as closing the eyes. One day, unexpectedly, it yielded one of my most profound experiences of tension release and awareness. Kick myself for not exploring it more seriously earlier on.

Everyone can learn to relax, but what might work for one doesn't always work for another. Some may not get the benefit that you get from closing their eyes. There's a million ways of doing something wrong. Rather than devoting a lot of time and energy on trying to analyze why such and such doesn't work for you, why not figure out why closing your eyes DOES work for you, and cultivate that awareness. It works for you because __________________?

Re: Clear flash after closing eyes for few seconds. - Skywalker - 11-23-2011

Closing eyes works for me because it produces clear flashes, but is it the right way to go? Isn't it pointless to just sit, close eyes and pray for clear flash? After reading "Stories from Clinic" I gained new hope that my myopia could be cured in no time, just like did the kids in Bate's clinic, but I think that I'm stuck now because I still can't identify what's my strain all about and what's causing it...

Re: Clear flash after closing eyes for few seconds. - arocarty - 11-24-2011

Hi ,

Skywalker Wrote:Closing eyes works for me because it produces clear flashes, but is it the right way to go?

Yes, I realize that it helps produce clear flashes, I was hoping that you would reflect a little more on Why you feel it has enabled you to do this.

Skywalker Wrote:Isn't it pointless to just sit, close eyes and pray for clear flash?

Absolutely. Maybe I'm wrong, but I didn't get the impression from your previous posts that you were sitting, waiting and praying for a clear flash. It seems to me you were actively engaging your memory and imagination, thinking of things that came easily, things that appealed to you, and thinking of them in a way that you could shift your attention on specific details, etc.

Closing the eyes, palming, are not simply passive, hoping-for-something to happen activities. You want to actively engage your mind in ways that promote mental relaxation - and when that is achieved, the byproduct of it is the loosening/release of the grip and tension on your eyes, and clearer sight.

Regards,

Andrew

Re: Clear flash after closing eyes for few seconds. - Skywalker - 11-24-2011

arocarty Wrote:Yes, I realize that it helps produce clear flashes, I was hoping that you would reflect a little more on Why you feel it has enabled you to do this.
That's hard question for me because to be honest I don't realize why it's happening. After I close my eyes I really feel how tired they are and then somehow when I'm feeling it I can concentrate on that feeling of tireness. After short time this feeling get's less noticeable and after that, I'm opening my eyes and if I'm lucky enough there's 20/20 clear flash waiting for me. But most of the time I get only half of it. Also if I imagine something during eyes closed effect is amplified. Maybe that's the way to go? Try to feel that tireness and meet the enemy? : ) I will try!

arocarty Wrote:Absolutely. Maybe I'm wrong, but I didn't get the impression from your previous posts that you were sitting, waiting and praying for a clear flash. It seems to me you were actively engaging your memory and imagination, thinking of things that came easily, things that appealed to you, and thinking of them in a way that you could shift your attention on specific details, etc.

Closing the eyes, palming, are not simply passive, hoping-for-something to happen activities. You want to actively engage your mind in ways that promote mental relaxation - and when that is achieved, the byproduct of it is the loosening/release of the grip and tension on your eyes, and clearer sight.
Thank you for reminding me this. Maybe I just really didn't realize that mental strain is all about my myopia? Going to fight it.
Also I'm not giving up palming, I will just try to make it little longer and few times a day (especially morning). I will try to achieve mental relax. After week I will decide if it is benefiting my sight or not.

Re: Clear flash after closing eyes for few seconds. - arocarty - 11-25-2011

Skywalker Wrote:That's hard question for me because to be honest I don't realize why it's happening. After I close my eyes I really feel how tired they are and then somehow when I'm feeling it I can concentrate on that feeling of tireness. After short time this feeling get's less noticeable and after that, I'm opening my eyes and if I'm lucky enough there's 20/20 clear flash waiting for me. But most of the time I get only half of it. Also if I imagine something during eyes closed effect is amplified. Maybe that's the way to go? Try to feel that tireness and meet the enemy? : ) I will try!

Yes, indeed, the more and more familiar you can get with the face of the 'enemy,' the more readily you will be able to spot it and eliminate it, or avoid it. Sometimes just the awareness of it and directing our attention to it is enough to make it yield. We can become so numb to it when our eyes are open, it is extremely difficult to realize what's happening under the surface. Closing the eyes and/or palming can be an effective way of developing that awareness. You need not know all the whys and wherefores any more than the fact that it helps you rest your eyes and mind. Good enough. Exploit it any way you can.

Skywalker Wrote:Thank you for reminding me this. Maybe I just really didn't realize that mental strain is all about my myopia? Going to fight it. Also I'm not giving up palming, I will just try to make it little longer and few times a day (especially morning). I will try to achieve mental relax. After week I will decide if it is benefiting my sight or not.

Keep using that good imagination of yours, while palming, the same way when you just simply have your eyes closed.

Regards,

Andrew

Re: Clear flash after closing eyes for few seconds. - Nini - 11-27-2011

Hi,
I just wanted to add an important aspect.
The 'best' way to 'chase away' a clear flash is to try to hold it as long as possible - so try to avoid this. The more you try to get hold of the clear flash, the faster it will vanish.
Most probably because this causes eye strain immediately and the 'fast grip' stops the saccadic movements necessary for clear vision.
If you keep this in mind and - once you have a clear flash - try to relax your eyes even more and just enjoy the clear eyesight as long as it lasts, you have more chances to prolong it.

Re: Clear flash after closing eyes for few seconds. - Skywalker - 11-28-2011

Nini,
Clear flash last until I blink, so I can't enjoy it otherwise than for 2-3 seconds. The longer I'm enjoying it the longer I can't blink which bring me strain again. So if I have clear flash I should try to relax my eyes more for example by instantly closing eyes and doing same think that brought me flash? Or you meant something else by relaxing eyes?

Flashes fascinates me because it's real proof that bate's method is able to work, but at this moment I can't get it working better (by working better I mean having longer flashes).

Re: Clear flash after closing eyes for few seconds. - Deliverance - 11-28-2011

Hi Skywalker,

It seems to me you are doing great, just keep aware of the unnecessary effort you are putting upon your eyes and learn to inhibit it.

When you got a clear flash, move your attention right away to another object (dodge the clear vision), this means do not freeze your eyes in that moment by staring at it, do not suppress blink. Never run to "test" your vision to see how good it is. The best "proof" here is the fact that your vision is better and that is enough, trust your senses and enjoy your improved vision!

Lord

Re: Clear flash after closing eyes for few seconds. - Skywalker - 11-28-2011

Lord Wrote:Never run to "test" your vision to see how good it is. The best "proof" here is the fact that your vision is better and that is enough, trust your senses and enjoy your improved vision!
Well I have this tendency. I'm always checking how's my vision level by looking at my digital clock or at some carplates I can see from my window. In school to measure my sight level is to look at blackboard and see how sharp the writings are. But when clear flash occurs I'm just leaving that and I enjoy everything my eyes can catch up for this few seconds...

Re: Clear flash after closing eyes for few seconds. - liquidlight - 11-29-2011

Skywalker Wrote:Clear flash last until I blink, so I can't enjoy it otherwise than for 2-3 seconds. The longer I'm enjoying it the longer I can't blink which bring me strain again.

My flashes used to disappear when I would blink too. Are you sure you aren't "hard blinking"? You might want to work on letting your blinks be automatic, soft blinks which are complete blinks but happen lightning fast. It can take a while to get the hang of it, but you might find that if you just *stop* hard-blinking, you might notice you are still blinking even though it doesn't feel like it. Those will be the automatic, soft, fast blinks that we're supposed to have.

Once you allow your blinking to be soft and automatic, you might find clear flashes lasting longer Smile At least, that's how it happened for me.

Re: Clear flash after closing eyes for few seconds. - Nini - 11-29-2011

Skywalker Wrote:Nini,
Clear flash last until I blink, so I can't enjoy it otherwise than for 2-3 seconds. The longer I'm enjoying it the longer I can't blink which bring me strain again. So if I have clear flash I should try to relax my eyes more for example by instantly closing eyes and doing same think that brought me flash? Or you meant something else by relaxing eyes?

Flashes fascinates me because it's real proof that bate's method is able to work, but at this moment I can't get it working better (by working better I mean having longer flashes).

By relaxing the eyes I meant not to strain your eyes by trying to 'hold' the clear flash as long as possible.
I find it helpful, not to concentrate on the clear contours when I get a clear flash, but enjoy the brightness and intensity of the colours instead. Enjoying prevents strain, and the colours are only then really bright and intense, when the image is not blurry. This way it often becomes even more clear and lasts for a few blinks. I don't pay attention to blinking, let it be automatic; I usually blink more often than necessary.

Re: Clear flash after closing eyes for few seconds. - Skywalker - 11-30-2011

Nini Wrote:By relaxing the eyes I meant not to strain your eyes by trying to 'hold' the clear flash as long as possible.
I find it helpful, not to concentrate on the clear contours when I get a clear flash, but enjoy the brightness and intensity of the colours instead. Enjoying prevents strain, and the colours are only then really bright and intense, when the image is not blurry. This way it often becomes even more clear and lasts for a few blinks. I don't pay attention to blinking, let it be automatic; I usually blink more often than necessary.

Thanks, now I'm getting more attention to how I blink and it somewhat gave result today (I think). I was trying to do lightning-fast blinks, and I tried to cause them spontaneusly. In school I had unusual nice vision without closing eyes! I could see very clearly in moments, it seemed like I had a nice period of time with half-clear flashes. Almost whole lesson I could see pretty clear the hour on clock while sitting on last bench. (it didn't happened earlier, only with having short clear flash). I will say it again I didn't close my eyes (maybe one time at start of lesson) and vision was overall pretty nice! So I don't know maybe I'm catching that up but I won't make any promises to myself because I don't want to be dissapointed.

Re: Clear flash after closing eyes for few seconds. - Skywalker - 12-11-2011

Few moments before i havee noticed strange thing. When I relax with closed eyes or I do as usually closing eyes sessions, after opening my eyes im starting to feel very intense stinging pain inside my left eye. Its so painful that it forces me to close eye and after this it fully fades away. Also if i blink its fading away. Dont know what it is.