MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
HOW TO USE SNELLEN CHART CORRECTLY ? - Printable Version
Eyesight Improvement Forum
HOW TO USE SNELLEN CHART CORRECTLY ? - Printable Version

+- Eyesight Improvement Forum (https://www.iblindness.org/forum)
+-- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.iblindness.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Bates Method (https://www.iblindness.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: HOW TO USE SNELLEN CHART CORRECTLY ? (/showthread.php?tid=952)

Pages: 1 2 3

Re: HOW TO USE SNELLEN CHART CORRECTLY ? - otis - 09-11-2008

Dear Clark,

Subject: Bates was about empowerment.

Re: Bate was FREE. But you must pass the reasonable DMV line. Don't get
"hung up" on 20/20 -- to much.

My book is also FREE. You will find it here:

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.i-see.org/otis_brown/">http://www.i-see.org/otis_brown/</a><!-- m -->

It is very easy to "object" to the minus lens. So we are united in that objection.

But the real issue comes when we try to "prevent" or use various methods, Bates, Plus, you name it.

It is at that point that we "diverge".

But Dave's site is about organizing your "thinking" so that you help yourself as best you can.

Everything else is just friendly (and I think) scientific advice.

Enjoy,

Otis

Quote:Thanks.
Otis; What is the name of your book.

See the Link
Quote:I have 20/20, sometimes 20/5, sometimes to 20/30 if diet off, straining eyes staring at computer 10 hours.
Snellen helps but I dont spend alot of time on it.

Otis> You should know your GENERAL visual acuity -- both outdoors and indoors. 20/20 is very
sharp vision.
Code:
I do it for fun, relaxation, to enjoy that great clarity, self control of mind, body, eyes that Bates method brings.

Otis> I do this analysis for the same reason. I found a long time ago that you can never "tell" a person "what to do". You can suggest some things,
ways of thinking, ways of empowerement, but in the end it is your on mind that decides.

Otis

Re: HOW TO USE SNELLEN CHART CORRECTLY ? - clarknight - 09-12-2008

Thanks.
I put some new eyechart downloads on the web site.
Check it out, suggestions welcome.
Also wrote new directions for adjusting printouts to correct letter size.

Re: HOW TO USE SNELLEN CHART CORRECTLY ? - clarknight - 05-10-2009

Otis
Is 10/10 clarity on the Snellen equal to 20/20?
12/10 is clearer than 20/20?
My wall is 12 feet from chart and I practice mainly at that distance when inside at home.
Also use a mini identical chart up close next to my chair.

Re: HOW TO USE SNELLEN CHART CORRECTLY ? - otis - 05-10-2009

Dear Clark,

Subject: Bates 1913 study -- and you making the measurements.

As you know, I have read Bates 1913 study -- and advocate doing a more complete study in 2013. Only this time it would be with highly motivated scientists and pilots, and OTHER "objecters" to that "first minus" would be an intellectual part of the study.

So far, we get COMPLETE blockage from the National Eye Institute. I think that is tragic, which is why I post on David's site.

The only think I would ask for in this type of study would be that the person be mature, and know how to read his Snellen (and start "prevention" before that first minus is applied.

In the years after 1913, the ACCEPTABLE standard for the public's vision became 20/40 OR BETTER with both eyes open. This is the general standard of the DMV in the United States.

If you wish to get rid of your minus lens -- legally -- then you should personally confirm that you pass, not the 20/40 line, but rather the 20/30 line. This exceeds the required standard, and I think that is wise.

Can you do better than that with Bates/Prentice methods. I certainly hope so, but the readers of this site should NOT rely on some OD in his office to tell you what-is-what. See for your self.

I would also add that I have obtained the "test" equipment required to determine my own refractive STATE -- as part of a preventive program. Thus I confirm myself as passing the LEGAL requirement, and also having a postive refractive STATE of +1/2 dipoter. This STATE is protective of my distant vision, and enhances my night vision.

But I support the concept that we must "change our ways" about these issues. It may not be exactly like Bates suggests -- but other people in medicine have strongly objected to the minus lens as I do.

Best,

Otis

Re: HOW TO USE SNELLEN CHART CORRECTLY ? - blauw - 05-13-2009

clarknight Wrote:Otis
Is 10/10 clarity on the Snellen equal to 20/20?
12/10 is clearer than 20/20?
My wall is 12 feet from chart and I practice mainly at that distance when inside at home.
Also use a mini identical chart up close next to my chair.

Hmm good question..... Perhaps 10/10 is 20/20??? Maybe 20/40? I'm not sure..... 12/10 is probably clearer then 20/20 or maybe just 20/20......

My answer was probably not really helpful.........

Re: HOW TO USE SNELLEN CHART CORRECTLY ? - clarknight - 05-13-2009

I see 20/20 line clear at 20 feet and when doing the 'right things' can see 20/10, 5.
Like to sit on my chair 12 feet from tv and look at the chart at 12 feet.
Am most relaxed, happy in my chair and vision goes very clear unexpectedly and I like to confirm its measurement on chart.
I think seeing the 10 line at 10 feet is considered normal vision as in Bates magazines.
Have gotten to where I just find the 20/20 line and practice to see the smaller, smallest lines, not really caring about exact distance.

Otis; where can I read Bates 1913 study. What is the title?
I have a idea: Instead of using the plus lense (which doctors prescribe for close vision) to attempt to improve distant vision;
I think using the eyes at close distances, relaxed, no strain also has a similiar but safe effect.
Example; If the eye is too long causing myopia and if Bates statements are true about the eye changing shape to accommodate, then: Looking at close objects; Shifting point to point on the patterns in a tiny rock, reading fine print relaxed, will cause the eye to accommodate, shorten to a round and only slightly lengthened shape to focus the light rays from close objects on the retina. If done without strain, when the person looks to the distance and avoids strain, staring, this might train/coax the eye to un-accommodate/change to a normal round shape for clear distant vision instead of the abnormally long shape that causes distant blur.

Thanks,
Clark

Re: HOW TO USE SNELLEN CHART CORRECTLY ? - blauw - 05-13-2009

clarknight Wrote:I see 20/20 line clear at 20 feet and when doing the 'right things' can see 20/10, 5.
Am most relaxed, happy in my chair and vision goes very clear unexpectedly and I like to confirm its measurement on chart.
I think seeing the 10 line at 10 feet is considered normal vision as in Bates magazines.
Have gotten to where I just find the 20/20 line and practice to see the smaller, smallest lines, not really caring about exact distance.

That is awesome!

When I read these situations about people who've practiced the Bates Method, and improved their vision... it just encourages me further....

I have noticed one thing my eyes feel smaller??? I am wondering if this is release of stress on the "myopified" oblique muscles and other culprits.

I have noticed my daily vision get clearer.... and I also notice a lot of clear flashes.... this to me suggests a upcoming permanent improvement, even if it may be slight, I will still be ecstatic...

My goal right now is 20/70 or so, once there I will be happy and then I will continue to 20/40 and then 20/20....

Good luck to all,
blauw

Re: HOW TO USE SNELLEN CHART CORRECTLY ? - otis - 05-14-2009

Dear Clark,

That is indeed impressive

Clark> I see 20/20 line clear at 20 feet and when doing the 'right things' can see 20/10, 5.

However, your statement "see 20/10, 5" is a little difficult.

I have looked a quite a few Snellens, and the go, 20/20, 20/15, 20/13, and 20/10.

I have not seen any have a 20/5 line.

Could you post a source of that Snellen for us to check our vision at the 20/5 line?

Thanks,

Re: HOW TO USE SNELLEN CHART CORRECTLY ? - clarknight - 05-14-2009

A relative of mine had myopia. Wore glasses for years.
Her eyes were too long. Eye doctor said she had football shaped eyes, front protruding out.
After Bates Method and pregnancy her eyes became round, no more protruding effect.
Stopping use of eyeglasses was main thing that improved her vision.
She can use computer all day and see distant no glasses.

Re: HOW TO USE SNELLEN CHART CORRECTLY ? - blauw - 05-14-2009

clarknight Wrote:A relative of mine had myopia. Wore glasses for years.
Her eyes were too long. Eye doctor said she had football shaped eyes, front protruding out.
After Bates Method and pregnancy her eyes became round, no more protruding effect.
Stopping use of eyeglasses was main thing that improved her vision.
She can use computer all day and see distant no glasses.

I wish I could help my myopic relatives.... but sadly they are the type that would put the Bates Method in their brains crazy file.....

I wish I also could have helped my grandmother who had a cataract operation a few years ago..... she had a terrible time with her eyes ever since she was a child. She had astigmatism (I gather thats gone because her cornea has been replace???), and other things..... Her vision was much better after the operation.... but not perfect..... It would have been interesting to see what the Bates Method could have done to her eyes and their situation....

I've always been interested in natural ways of curing things..... It fascinates me the bodies ability to heal itself.

daily I've observing my eyes and I've noticed that they aren't feeling big, as in protruding, the myopic way, almost as if day by day they are rounding.....

I also noticed there was a person today standing about 20 feet away from me and I could read the back of their shirt. Mind you this font might have been the size of the 20/100 or 20/80 line (not sure, maybe I'll see the person and measure the letters on their shirt LOL). But I could read it and it was emerging out of the blur. And it wasn't a clear flash!

I also notice some days when I am feeling down that my vision blurs a bit more.... but then again I try to find something to make me feel happy.

Good luck to all!

Re: HOW TO USE SNELLEN CHART CORRECTLY ? - clarknight - 05-14-2009

You really appreciate the Bates method.
If you want a free E-book send a E-mail to me: <!-- e --><a href="mailto:mclearsight@aol.com">mclearsight@aol.com</a><!-- e -->
Its nothing fancy but good reference and you can help others with the info.

Re: HOW TO USE SNELLEN CHART CORRECTLY ? - otis - 05-15-2009

Dear Clark,

Thanks for asking.

The name of my book is, "How to Avoid Nearsightedness".

Best,

Otis

Re: HOW TO USE SNELLEN CHART CORRECTLY ? - clarknight - 05-19-2009

To Otis,
I just take the ten line (from Thomas Quackenbush's big C chart) and reduce the letters in half to make my own five line.
I seen the five line somewhere. Will try to find it for you.
I have eyecharts with a smaller than 10 line added. Is there a way to post the PDf here Free? If you have a e-mail I will send it to you.
I have not worn glasses for 57 years, since 9th grade high school after reading Huxleys book and applying Bates Method.
I have read a book you wrote on that free website and like the extensive information you have complied! We need people to get the truth out, most doctors aren't telling use how dangerous these lenses are!

Re: HOW TO USE SNELLEN CHART CORRECTLY ? - blauw - 05-19-2009

clarknight Wrote:To Otis,
I just take the ten line (from Thomas Quackenbush's big C chart) and reduce the letters in half to make my own five line.
I seen the five line somewhere. Will try to find it for you.
I have eyecharts with a smaller than 10 line added. Is there a way to post the PDF here Free? If you have a e-mail I will send it to you.
I have not worn glasses for 57 years, since 9th grade high school after reading Huxleys book and applying Bates Method.
I have read a book you wrote on that free website and like the extensive information you have complied! We need people to get the truth out, most doctors aren't telling use how dangerous these lenses are!

I've seen that chart with the 20/5 line on your site. It would be awesome to get to 20/5 that to me would be like eagle vision.

Again your story of clearing your eyesight in Gr.9 and then for 57 years not wearing classes, is truly amazing.

I'm going to keep practicing Bates..... lets hope I can get to 20/40..... I hear acupressure can manipulate the oblique and rectus and even ciliary muscles. I gather that Acupressure would be useful along with Bates to regain lost vision and prevent myopia/hyperopia/presbyopia.

Say in Gr.9 how long did it take you to clear your Snellen from where you were to 20/20?

Good luck to all,
blauw

Re: HOW TO USE SNELLEN CHART CORRECTLY ? - blauw - 05-19-2009

otis Wrote:Dear Clark,

Thanks for asking.

The name of my book is, "How to Avoid Nearsightedness".

Best,

Otis

Otis, your book is very informative.

I've also been reading posts on sci.med.vision and I am shocked at the reactions people have towards you. It amazes me how these MD's and OD's treat you. You can tell though that they don't want to accept something that can possibly jeopardize their business. Its to bad that Western Medicine likes to find the quick way out of things, and not get to the root of the problem.

I-SEE is a very useful site. I've read a lot of things on that site about the Bates Method. I also noticed on Dave's iblindness.org site that their was a story about the woman that Bates helped who had glaucoma, and other things. There was a picture of this woman who was shown applying pressure to her nose (in the area close to her eyes)... this I recognized as a Acupressure point. Here is the link to that story. <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://iblindness.org/articles/bates-blindnessrelieved.html">http://iblindness.org/articles/bates-bl ... ieved.html</a><!-- m -->

Good luck to all,
blauw