MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
HOW TO USE SNELLEN CHART CORRECTLY ? - Printable Version
Eyesight Improvement Forum
HOW TO USE SNELLEN CHART CORRECTLY ? - Printable Version

+- Eyesight Improvement Forum (https://www.iblindness.org/forum)
+-- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.iblindness.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Bates Method (https://www.iblindness.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: HOW TO USE SNELLEN CHART CORRECTLY ? (/showthread.php?tid=952)

Pages: 1 2 3

Re: HOW TO USE SNELLEN CHART CORRECTLY ? - otis - 05-19-2009

Dear Friend,

One of my great "causes" is the SHABBY WAY that Dr. Bates was treated. Sure, some people don't like Bates prevention, and others don't like Prentice prevention, but these men OBJECTED to "standard treatement" with the minus lens -- AND NO DISCUSSION OF THE PREVENTIVE ALTERNATIVE.

This is why I posted Bates 1913 study.

==============

Quote:Otis, your book is very informative.

I've also been reading posts on sci.med.vision and I am shocked at the reactions people have towards you. It amazes me how these MD's and OD's treat you. You can tell though that they don't want to accept something that can possibly jeopardize their business. Its to bad that Western Medicine likes to find the quick way out of things, and not get to the root of the problem

I am glad that you read all the "trash" heaped on me. And I am just an engineer. Just think of how much WORSE IT WAS FOR DR. BATES. He it the man of true courage. They can't "disbar me", since I am an engineer. But they can and will kick any Bates person out of their "profession" if they can.

This is a sad chapter in medicine -- I am sad to say.

This is why I support Dave's site. Let us LEARN to gether, and respect each other on a scientific level.

Best,

Otis

Re: HOW TO USE SNELLEN CHART CORRECTLY ? - blauw - 05-20-2009

otis Wrote:Dear Friend,

One of my great "causes" is the SHABBY WAY that Dr. Bates was treated. Sure, some people don't like Bates prevention, and others don't like Prentice prevention, but these men OBJECTED to "standard treatement" with the minus lens -- AND NO DISCUSSION OF THE PREVENTIVE ALTERNATIVE.

This is why I posted Bates 1913 study.

==============

Quote:Otis, your book is very informative.

I've also been reading posts on sci.med.vision and I am shocked at the reactions people have towards you. It amazes me how these MD's and OD's treat you. You can tell though that they don't want to accept something that can possibly jeopardize their business. Its to bad that Western Medicine likes to find the quick way out of things, and not get to the root of the problem

I am glad that you read all the "trash" heaped on me. And I am just an engineer. Just think of how much WORSE IT WAS FOR DR. BATES. He it the man of true courage. They can't "disbar me", since I am an engineer. But they can and will kick any Bates person out of their "profession" if they can.

This is a sad chapter in medicine -- I am sad to say.

This is why I support Dave's site. Let us LEARN to gether, and respect each other on a scientific level.

Best,

Otis

I too believe it is a sad chapter in medicine. I hope that holistic and natural ways of healing become mainstream..... but one part of me doesn't think so.

One of the main reasons I believe Bates and Prentice and the like are trashed because these mainstream medical people know that this can jeopardize their business and their shot at making money. Its all about money.

Good luck to all Bates and other method practicers,
blauw

Re: HOW TO USE SNELLEN CHART CORRECTLY ? - clarknight - 05-20-2009

The first day when I learnt to shift I could see the small leaves on distant trees clear.
Threw glasses away.
Then with shifting, switching, central fixation in two days was 20/20 and could see smaller lines on a old chart in nurses office.
Could then move to a seat in the back of the class.
Earlier, during the time my vision was unclear, the teacher let me sit closer when she wrote on the blackboard (messy writing) and that prevented strain and helped during Bates practice.
Tantasqua High, Sturbridge, MA

Re: HOW TO USE SNELLEN CHART CORRECTLY ? - blauw - 05-20-2009

clarknight Wrote:The first day when I learnt to shift I could see the small leaves on distant trees clear.
Threw glasses away.
Then with shifting, switching, central fixation in two days was 20/20 and could see smaller lines on a old chart in nurses office.
Earlier, during the time my vision was unclear, the teacher let me sit closer when she wrote on the blackboard (messy writing) and that prevented strain and helped during Bates practice.

That is amazing.

I also read in Alex Eulenburgs "Bates Method in a nutshell". The catch those flashes part should be helpful. Did you have to do that to? Although this catch those flashes part really hit home. Wondering why success is coming slowly. Its because I haven't really taken the time to catch those flashes.

I also like observing the swing of things. It is very entertaining..... in a way that is.

It amazes me how we are able to do this.

Good luck to all,
blauw

Re: HOW TO USE SNELLEN CHART CORRECTLY ? - psychic24 - 05-29-2010

Guys, I need a bit of help to measure my eyesight (with weak distance glasses on) using a Snellen Chart.

Currently I am -4.50D in both eyes (or was on Jan 2010 according to the eye test). I want to keep track of my improvements using the Power Vision System's method so I need to know how to use a Snellen Chart. In addition, I want to find out what prescription these distance glasses are.

Now, I looked at this one:

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.mdsupport.org/snellen.html">http://www.mdsupport.org/snellen.html</a><!-- m -->

I did the test with my weak distance glasses (unknown prescription) and although it's clearer, I can barely read the second line (size 24) from the worked out distance. It seems the size 24 line corresponds to having 20/100 vision. Using this information, can I calculate the prescription of the glasses?

Re: HOW TO USE SNELLEN CHART CORRECTLY ? - JMartinC4 - 05-29-2010

Here is the truth; I know it is true with every fiber of my being: The routinized medical procedure, begun in the 1900's, which the USA legislatively mandated in the 1930s - and which is still mandated only in the USA, but has never been standardized - of instilling neonatal antibiotic drops or ointment into one eye and inevitably unequally into the other eye, within an hour of birth, results in an indelible but unconscious memory of skewed blur which overpowers the shorter memory of normal eyesight in the otherwise normal newborn, who then accepts the blur after being soothed by the medical personnel, mother, father, etc. For infants with good memories and parents who incline them towards reading, that memory becomes fixated and reemerges (if it ever goes away) during later periods of stress, resulting in the condition called myopia. It is reversible by means of the Bates Methods, but the reversing has become more and more difficult as more and more people have been subjected to the treatment. Lenses bend the incoming light, adjusting it to each of the person's eyeballs; Dr. Bates' methods adjust the whole person to the incoming light.

blauw Wrote:
clarknight Wrote:The first day when I learnt to shift I could see the small leaves on distant trees clear.
Threw glasses away.

That is amazing.

I also read in Alex Eulenburgs "Bates Method in a nutshell". The catch those flashes part should be helpful. Did you have to do that to? Although this catch those flashes part really hit home. Wondering why success is coming slowly. Its because I haven't really taken the time to catch those flashes.

I also like observing the swing of things. It is very entertaining..... in a way that is.

It amazes me how we are able to do this.

Good luck to all,
blauw