MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
Infantile Eyes

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Infantile Eyes
Since I have have a 9 week-year-old baby, I have been thinking about how infants are essentially all myopic. They can focus no further than 2 feet away, maybe less.  Not sure what the developmental and evolutionary reasons for this are.  It makes me muse that those of us that developed myopia in their adolescence are reverting to an infantile state. It make some sense that this might be a physiological/emotional response to stress, a subconscious attempt to  retreat into the safety of the infantile state where we only have to focus on what is right in front of us and we are blissfully ignorant of the rest of the world.

What do you all think of this idea? Does it resonate with anyone else?
(01-25-2016, 04:02 PM)otto Wrote: Since I have have a 9 week-year-old baby, I have been thinking about how infants are essentially all myopic. They can focus no further than 2 feet away, maybe less.  Not sure what the developmental and evolutionary reasons for this are.  It makes me muse that those of us that developed myopia in their adolescence are reverting to an infantile state. It make some sense that this might be a physiological/emotional response to stress, a subconscious attempt to  retreat into the safety of the infantile state where we only have to focus on what is right in front of us and we are blissfully ignorant of the rest of the world.

What do you all think of this idea? Does it resonate with anyone else?

Makes sense to me. Before I knew about the Bates method, I've had the sneaking suspicion that my myopia was linked to not wanting to see things and a heavy urge to be left alone.
Otto, first, congratulations on the baby! If interest drives vision, I'd guess the most interesting sight to an infant is Mom or whoever is feeding or holding or interacting with him/her. I've read that most babies are slightly farsighted
(01-26-2016, 08:48 AM)Nancy Wrote: Otto, first, congratulations on the baby! If interest drives vision, I'd guess the most interesting sight to an infant is Mom or whoever is feeding or holding or interacting with him/her. I've read that most babies are slightly farsighted

Really? I thought babies were nearsighted. Anyways, babies kinda make me feel uncomfortable. They stare a lot, and I don't really like that very much. Same with little kids. They stare quite a bit too. It's rather unsettling. I've got the shivers already.
(01-26-2016, 09:43 AM)AlkalineWater7 Wrote:
(01-26-2016, 08:48 AM)Nancy Wrote: Otto, first, congratulations on the baby! If interest drives vision, I'd guess the most interesting sight to an infant is Mom or whoever is feeding or holding or interacting with him/her. I've read that most babies are slightly farsighted

Really? I thought babies were nearsighted. Anyways, babies kinda make me feel uncomfortable. They stare a lot, and I don't really like that very much. Same with little kids. They stare quite a bit too. It's rather unsettling. I've got the shivers already.

This may be more about you. Do you not like being seen? Kids aren't as polite as adults -- if they're interested in you, they'll look without trying to hide it.

I've also wondered many times about the effect on an infant of the mother wearing glasses as mine did, so the baby is never seeing Mom's eyes without looking through her glasses first. How did this affect the baby's vision? How did it affect her ability to connect deeply with others?
(01-26-2016, 06:11 PM)Nancy Wrote:
(01-26-2016, 09:43 AM)AlkalineWater7 Wrote:

This may be more about you. Do you not like being seen? Kids aren't as polite as adults -- if they're interested in you, they'll look without trying to hide it.

I've also wondered many times about the effect on an infant of the mother wearing glasses as mine did, so the baby is never seeing Mom's eyes without looking through her glasses first. How did this affect the baby's vision? How did it affect her ability to connect deeply with others?
Yeah. You pretty much summed it up. I don't like being seen. It makes me feel vulnerable and exposed. It's rather scary in my opinion. Additionally, you may be onto something about the effects of a mother wearing glasses while nurturing an infant. But honestly, I feel that I'm trapped in a vicious cycle; I'm afraid of being seen therefore, I try not to see others in order to avoid unnerving them. I always view looks from people as negative. Did you experience this as well? Also, did you have any siblings? Did they acquire poor eyesight as well? This is rather foreign to me as my mom didn't wear glasses while I was an infant. Another thing to note is that my mom is farsighted; not nearsighted. Not sure what kind of strain hyperopes are under either.
(01-26-2016, 07:20 PM)AlkalineWater7 Wrote:
(01-26-2016, 06:11 PM)Nancy Wrote:
(01-26-2016, 09:43 AM)AlkalineWater7 Wrote: Really? I thought babies were nearsighted. Anyways, babies kinda make me feel uncomfortable. They stare a lot, and I don't really like that very much. Same with little kids. They stare quite a bit too. It's rather unsettling. I've got the shivers already.

Yeah. You pretty much summed it up. I don't like being seen. It makes me feel vulnerable and exposed. It's rather scary in my opinion. Additionally, you may be onto something about the effects of a mother wearing glasses while nurturing an infant. But honestly, I feel that I'm trapped in a vicious cycle; I'm afraid of being seen therefore, I try not to see others in order to avoid unnerving them. I always view looks from people as negative. Did you experience this as well? Also, did you have any siblings? Did they acquire poor eyesight as well? This is rather foreign to me as my mom didn't wear glasses while I was an infant. Another thing to note is that my mom is farsighted; not nearsighted. Not sure what kind of strain hyperopes are under either.
Yes, being seen has been a big problem for me. I've written many blog posts on it. Here's one from almost 5 years ago. https://dreamersight.wordpress.com/2011/...eing-seen/. I have 2 younger sisters, one who wears glasses and one whom I got out of glasses completely (my first vision client!) more than 10 years ago, when the eye doctor wanted to put her in bifocals!

I've said a few times here that most of my work on myself now is more about my emotional state than my looking habits. If I were you I'd check out some emotional release work like meditation or EFT, which has helped me a lot. I truly believe the body, including the eyes, reflects our thoughts about the world and ourselves, and that improvement is always possible.
Newborn babies don't have memories of vision yet and so they can't imagine what it is that they are supposed to see. They could be measured as shortsighted or farsighted within a short period of time. This is something that Bates talks about in length and is actually also a fairly 'new discovery of opthalmology called as emetropization.
(01-30-2016, 01:50 PM)Nadia Wrote: Newborn babies don't have memories of vision yet and so they can't imagine what it is that they are supposed to see.  They could be measured as shortsighted or farsighted within a short period of time.  This is something that Bates talks about in length and is actually also a fairly 'new discovery of opthalmology called as emetropization.

Good point, Nadia. I just read about this in Moonwalking with Einstein, a book about memory and how we can improve our ability to memorize with ancient techniques. But it's true what you say, if we can't contextualize what we see through memories, we can't register it.

Anyway, It's a fascinating book that I'll probably start an Off Topic thread on it. I highly recommend it to anyone that wants to understand memory better and is interested in improving their memorization ability.

5 TIPS TO IMPROVE YOUR VISION IMMEDIATELY!

Quickly prove to yourself that vision improvement is possible, with this free PDF download.

Download Now