MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
choosing prescription

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
choosing prescription
I am unsure about which prescription to get for my glasses, and hope someone can direct me. I am just starting to learn the Bates Method. My prescription is for distance, -4.75. Also have I got a pair made for the computer about -3.75 ( could be -3.75). I am using these to go to work with. The distance is blurry, but can get by. The problem is when I have to do close work inspecitng things. I need to look over my glasses to focus or hold at arms length. I suppose this will get worse unless I fix my presbyopia as well as the myopia. 

Would like input on how to deal with this issue. I plan to see my optometrist, so I need to know what to bet for a prescription. I have had astimatism, but has switched from eye to eye and has only been -o.25.

Thanks,

Joe
(08-05-2016, 08:33 PM)Joe100 Wrote: I am unsure about which prescription to get for my glasses, and hope someone can direct me. I am just starting to learn the Bates Method. My prescription is for distance, -4.75. Also have I got a pair made for the computer about -3.75 ( could be -3.75). I am using these to go to work with. The distance is blurry, but can get by. The problem is when I have to do close work inspecitng things. I need to look over my glasses to focus or hold at arms length. I suppose this will get worse unless I fix my presbyopia as well as the myopia. 

Would like input on how to deal with this issue. I plan to see my optometrist, so I need to know what to bet for a prescription. I have had astimatism, but has switched from eye to eye and has only been -o.25.

Thanks,

Joe

Joe, hi. A big contribution to increasing myopia is people using distance glasses for close work, then needing stronger glasses. Take your glasses off for close work if you can, or get another weaker pair for that.
I am guessing I would need a prescriptiion for close a little less than what my eyes are focusing at. I find when I focus close without my glasses I need to hold things pretty close. Also my eyes tend to not want to focus well.  I'm not sure how the myopia and presbyopia work as far as getting prescriptions to work with Bates. I work in a job where I need to see far as well as near. So I would need a set of bifocals with a reduced prescription with the near and far. Where would aI find an optometrist to prescribe those. or juggle 2 pairs of glasses. This seems compolicated.

Thanks,

Joe
If minus lenses for myopia screw up the system, I can only imagine the confusion that bifocals cause. I feel for you.

Instead of trying to tackle the hardest part first, that being the conditions at your job, practice at home or somewhere when you have some time and don't have to deal with immediate demands.

And instead of worrying about the complexity of reducing a bifocals prescription, take it a day at a time and work on improving your vision so the issue becomes moot. It can be tempting to concentrate on something that's quantitative like the prescription, but that isn't the important part. People sometimes improve their vision and are forced to get weaker glasses whether they wanted to or not, rather than the other way around of getting weaker glasses first.
Site Administrator

"Half of our funny, heathen lives, we are bent double to gather things we have tossed away." - George Meredith
(08-07-2016, 09:43 PM)David Wrote: If minus lenses for myopia screw up the system, I can only imagine the confusion that bifocals cause. I feel for you.

Instead of trying to tackle the hardest part first, that being the conditions at your job, practice at home or somewhere when you have some time and don't have to deal with immediate demands.

And instead of worrying about the complexity of reducing a bifocals prescription, take it a day at a time and work on improving your vision so the issue becomes moot. It can be tempting to concentrate on something that's quantitative like the prescription, but that isn't the important part. People sometimes improve their vision and are forced to get weaker glasses whether they wanted to or not, rather than the other way around of getting weaker glasses first.

Thanks for the reply.
I want to use reduced lenses, and I think I will use single vision lenses. My prescription is -4.50 in each eye with +2.00 for reading. I think this would make my glasses for reading -2.50 with a single vision lense. The question I have is if I want to reduce that to -2.00 or lower how will this affect my presbyopia. Will that affect how far I can lower the prescription? I'm trying to understand how they work together.

Joe
(08-25-2016, 07:54 PM)Joe100 Wrote:
(08-07-2016, 09:43 PM)David Wrote: If minus lenses for myopia screw up the system, I can only imagine the confusion that bifocals cause. I feel for you.

Thanks for the reply.
I want to use reduced lenses, and I think I will use single vision lenses. My prescription is -4.50 in each eye with +2.00 for reading. I think this would make my glasses for reading -2.50 with a single vision lense. The question I have is if I want to reduce that to -2.00 or lower how will this affect my presbyopia. Will that affect how far I can lower the prescription? I'm trying to understand how they work together.
Joe

David said it well -- we are not robots who need to be calibrated, and the numbers on a prescription are the eye doctor's best guess of what will give you decent vision at that moment. Vision is variable, and any prescription traps it to the level of the lenses instead of letting it roam free. The holistic eye doctor I originally trained with would not prescribe bifocals for his patients unless they insisted. You might try reducing your distance correction, then getting inexpensive reading glasses if you find you really need them. If you keep doing the Bates work you'll be surprised at how your eyes respond.
That's a good idea, get separate glasses. Of course, then you'll have to keep switching them, but at least it gives your vision slightly more freedom to roam around the full size of the lens and not be so constricted. Still, it isn't actually necessary to do anything with them. I have a cousin that had to get weaker glasses after an acupuncture treatment. He did nothing else. He didn't need the weaker glasses first.
Site Administrator

"Half of our funny, heathen lives, we are bent double to gather things we have tossed away." - George Meredith

Perfect Sight Without Glasses free download