MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
Am I making progress?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Am I making progress?
Hi!

My first time here, great site! I have about -2.5 on both my eyes. I have been testing the Bates techniques the last couple of months and it seems really exciting, but I'm not getting anywhere.

Lately I've been trying to relax while practicing central fixation and letting my eyes wander about as I look to the horizon. Suddenly I feel a strong stinging in my eyes and I start to cry (but I don't feel emotional at all). Felt like I wanted to blink even though I was blinking regularly.

Read somewhere that stinging in the eye was common and could actually be a sign of improvement. The "problem" is that I don't really notice any (even glimpses of) improved eyesight afterwards.

Just wanted to hear if anybody else has similar experiences? Need some encouragement if I'm gonna keep on practising! Smile

Regards,

Per
Per82 Wrote:Am I making progress?

I think people who constantly ask themselves this question are the ones that fail to improve as quickly and for me i get frustrated and anxious when i ask myself that and sometimes i think i haven't gotten anywhere since i started this.

Its normal to feel this way, but some people even quit because they think they aren't improving when they actually are...

Im not really sure about stinging but I'd start off with palming and if you can see even a bit clearer afterwards you'd have a good start...and a good start is halfway to success! Tongue
Hi Per,

Yes, stinging is common. The thing to do is release into it. Don't try to stop it. See if you can just let it happen, and sit there for a while noticing it. My feeling is that if it's something harmful, it wouldn't be there when you're relaxing, since relaxation is the antithesis of harming yourself. And I've never heard a story of anyone allowing that sting to happen and ending up with any kind of pain or damage when it's over. I say that because it can get really intense sometimes when you let it happen.

That being said, I'm as clueless as I've ever been about what the sting is. Some adjustment that's being made, I think.

Dave
Site Administrator

"Half of our funny, heathen lives, we are bent double to gather things we have tossed away." - George Meredith
I see alittle better after palming, but only until i blink, so I dont know if its because som water in my eyes (I dont feel any water in my eyes) or if its because of the palming. Is it normal that you only see clearer til you blink?
Hi,

The stinging you are talking about is wonderful I think.
When I start read the snellen chart while relaxed, the eyes start stinging. I personally think that it is somesort of adaptation. I love it and let it sting for long as I can stand it, and my eyes begin to water. After a few blinking, my eyes see better, and temporary flashes appear.

Maybe it is ralated to bringing the eyes out of the habit of glasses. My eyes were too -2.5 diopters each and now I think I have progressed to -1.75 diopters. but my eyes are definitely better when flashes come. The flashes come when I look at the distance and blink. Looking to familiar things such as edges, numbers, etc make flashes come too.

My opinion is that, outdoors is a benefit to the eyes.
elias Wrote:The stinging you are talking about is wonderful I think.
When I start read the snellen chart while relaxed, the eyes start stinging. I personally think that it is somesort of adaptation. I love it and let it sting for long as I can stand it, and my eyes begin to water. After a few blinking, my eyes see better, and temporary flashes appear.
Are those really flashes though? Isnt the water making like a lens or something and that makes you see better for a short time?
Well, I really think that they are clear flashes!

I have got several reasons:
1- I see improvement in vision even without watering.
2- I don't think personally that a thin layer of water can be strong enough to imitate a clear flash.
3- When I blink the clear flash does not always disappear. Blinking should wipe the water away.
4- I feel better and relaxed afterwards, I feel the improvement.
Thanks alot for the quick replies you guys Smile

I'm starting to think that the stinging may actually be that I feel the tension in my eyes that the mind has been ignoring for all those years, and hopefully it's a sign that I'm improving.

Agree with Elias that practicing outdoors is nice, feels more relaxing to look at the horizon than looking at some chart. Definitely gonna keep on practising to see if I can get some results!
I'm starting to experience the stinging mentioned here pretty regularly when I do the chart and focus on smaller and smaller areas -- this only started happening in the past few weeks. I'm taking it as a sign that I'm doing something right. Also, I found this related thread in Effortless Vision you may want to check out:
http://www.effortlessvision.com/forum1/v....php?t=498

Perfect Sight Without Glasses free download