MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
Can eyes reject contact lenses?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can eyes reject contact lenses?
A couple of days ago I wanted to wear my contact lenses for a few hours because I was going to a party. However after a couple of minutes of putting them on my eyes became extremely watery and fiery red. Plus they were burning a lot. Even after I took them out they were still watering for 2-3 hours.

I have been wearing contacts since 14 years which is a little over half of my life. I never used to have glasses as back up. I had such a high number that the glasses would make my eyes look like dots. Until last month I used to wear contacts almost 12 hours a day. Since last month I didn't wear them at all because I had decided that if I wanted to improve my vision I couldn't wear contacts all the time. So when my eyes burned for the first couple of minutes I thought it would get better but it didn't. Even when I put in new contact lenses they were still burning. There was no way that I could wear them. This has never happened to me before. Of course sometimes my eyes would sting now and then if I had gotten something in them but they would always get better after a few minutes. So is it possible that my eyes are rejecting the contact lenses? And if that is the case is that a good sign or a bad one? Tongue

Any comments would be appreciated.

Also one of my eyes seems to be improving quicker than the other one. So when I order a new pair of reduced glasses should I order a slightly higher number for the weaker eye?
I recently started the bates method as well. Prior to starting, I wore my contacts from the minute I woke up to the minute I went to sleep everyday and I was fine.. but now I notice that when i wear contacts (for work and driving) my eyes become dry and somewhat irritated after a few hours. I don't know if this is a good or bad thing, but considering we are letting our eyes breathe naturally and do their own thing with the bates method, maybe the eyes now realize what the contacts did all along.
In your terms, yes, your eyes are "rejecting" the contacts. As Catie says, they're too uncomfortable now. People with a myopic pattern are used to ignoring signals of discomfort (being told to "get used to" their uncomfortable new glasses doesn't help). If you do without your contacts for a while your eyes will get used to not being covered up by them, and will complain when you put them back in. Your eyes are very wise!
About the difference in your 2 eyes' acuity, remember any pair of glasses is a temporary step toward getting you to seeing well enough without them that you don't need them. I also have one eye which dominates and sees more clearly (my right) and I sometimes play with closing it or patching it to activate the left eye and encourage it to participate more, or actively notice how my left eye is seeing when both eyes are open. The difference for me was about a diopter at the upper levels, -9.5 in one eye and -10.5 in the other, but my behavioral optometrist started me on the same prescription for both eyes. My first pair of soft lenses from him was -9 for both eyes, with the -1.75 astigmatism correction I had before removed. I continued to keep both eyes in step as I reduced my prescription further. However, Robert Lichtman wrote something recently on the Effortless Vision forum that forcing both eyes to adapt to the same prescription is not necessary, and of course if you're straining to see with either eye, the glasses aren't helping you. So what prescription to order is up to you and your eye doctor. Just remember to keep in mind your goal is to do without glasses as much as possible, and eventually all the time.
Thank you for your replies. It's always encouraging to hear of other people's experiences.

I try not to wear my glasses unless absolutely necessary. Even then I try to take them off as quickly as possible. The difference in both of my eyes is about .5 but I think it's probably a little more now. If your doctor gave you the same prescription for both eyes Nancy, I guess I can keep the difference of .5 and not increase it. Thank you for your quick response. I wanted to order some glasses today, and now I can order them.

Catie, are you noticing improvement in your eyesight even though you wear contacts regularly? I was trying to wear my contacts infrequently but I was not really experiencing any improvement. Hence I stopped wearing them and now I don't know if I can ever wear them... Hopefully that will give me a reason to try to improve my vision as quickly as possible as I look horrible in glasses. 8)
Since your eyes do not have the same acuity, they are also not working well together. If you can, think about keeping both pupils looking and moving on the same visual plane/axis, especially while moving, while looking into various distances. Also try to elevate that visual plane (maybe by tilting your head slightly, keeping your chin up) so you are looking a little above where you normally look. Reorient, Coordinate and Synchronize. Just my suggestions of methods that are working for me.
I have only been working with the NVI stuff for two weeks, and so far I haven't noticed any marked improvements.. I wear contacts for work only, as my new prescription glasses are very uncomfortable to wear (they are "coke bottle glasses," my first pair). So I use a much weaker pair of glasses for minor around-the-house things involving food prep, etc, and I just got a pair of pinholes that I use for TV or any other random thing.

How long have you been doing NVI, and have you noticed any improvements? I wish I had some sort of time frame to compare with, I don't know if i should be discouraged right now or what.. Also, my left eye was using -8.5 while my right eye was using -7.5, but I stopped wearing the -8.5 lenses and use -7.5 for both now. The left is a little blurrier than the right for distance, but I'm using that as a tracking method to see if my vision has improved. I'm hoping it will soon!!
I first started vision therapy about 4-5 years ago. Probably 2005. I used to be -10 and -10.5.for contacts which is about -11 and -12 for glasses. I didn't know about zennioptical.com until last dec, (you can get glasses there without a prescription) and so I was trying NVI with contacts. I didn't really see any real improvements, but now I have stopped wearing contacts since last month I am seeing a big difference. I now wear glasses with a prescription of -8.5 and -9.00 and need a lower prescription.

One lady I had contacted when I first started NVI told me to get glasses that will make you see 20/80 and a pair of glasses that will make you see 20/40. (The 20/40 pair would be for driving and the 20/80 for everything else.

I'll write more later.
I had to leave yesterday and wasn't able to finish or edit what I wrote. The following paragraphs are from the web page <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.visioneducators.org/reducedlenses.htm">http://www.visioneducators.org/reducedlenses.htm</a><!-- m -->.

Dr. Bates had two rules for improving your eyesight - practice the good habits of relaxed seeing (blinking, centralizing, and moving the eyes and head together) and Stay Out of Clarity With Artificial Lenses. If you are wearing glasses or contacts that give you full 20/20 clear vision, there is no room for improvement. The normal eye has fluctuations on a daily basis, depending on your own health, energy levels, blood sugar, stress or state of relaxation, etc. If you are doing vision improvement classes, lessons, studying on your own, you might need to get a pair of reduced lenses to give you room for improvement. Not a big reduction, just a little bit. You know how it is when you say to yourself, "I need a new prescription! Things are a little blurry..." it's like that: you've been functioning ok, but things could be clearer. With vision improvement, it's starting with a little blur, and letting it get clear.

FOR THE MYOPE (Near or Short Sighted)
If you are nearsighted (up-close vision is clear, but the distance is blurry), you need glasses for driving. I don't know about countries other than the USA, and I don't know about each state, but most states allow 20/40 vision. So therefore, 20/40 correction is legal and allowable.

If you need corrective lenses for the near range, say for desk work, computer use, cooking dinner, you should get an even more reduced prescription, because 20/40 glasses are too strong - they are correcting for the distance and cause strain when used for close range. Therefore, many students will also need a 20/80 (approximately) prescription. This reduction, (20/80) will be the equivalent of a 20/40 for the near range: not crystal clear. Do not use these glasses for driving!

The procedure of getting two sets of lenses is just for the first time - as the student’s vision improves, and the 20/40 lenses are now 20/20, the 20/80 lenses will now be correcting the student’s vision to 20/40. If a further pair of 20/80’s is needed, simply take the frames for the original 20/40’s and have new lenses (correcting to the new 20/80) put in.

I copied only a small portion of the web page, but if you read the whole page I think it will be very beneficial.

I looked through my emails and discovered that it was actually 2007 when I first started NVI, but failed. I think the real reason I didn't see any real improvement these past years was because I was still wearing contacts. It is very hard to improve your vision with contacts. Even with glasses you should wear them only when necessary. I had gone to an eye doctor in 2007 and tried to get a 40/80 prescription but he refused. He didn't even agree to a 20/40 prescription. Finally I got glasses in Dec. and found the courage not to wear my contacts last month. So in reality it's really been only a little over a month since I started NVI. I could say I'm on the same boat as you are but I knew about this since some time and would occasionally get flashes. Now I get them a lot.

It is a long process, and it takes lots of time, patience, and energy. But in the end hopefully we get to enjoy better vision! I hope you the best!
I have noticed, since I have been working a lot more recently I have had my contact lenses in much more often than I'd like, but I am noticing my eyes are more red now than before when I wore them ALL the time..it's kind of scary, as I don't have my glasses yet, I'm waiting for them to get here, but I don't know why my eyes were okay the first time I began using contacts compared to now, after taking a short break after 4 years of use.. I hope it's nothing bad, because I have no alternative but to wear them for work until my glasses get here. I think I know now why eyes heal faster without using them at all.
Catie, just a guess, but it's possible your eyes are straining more now against the contacts than they used to. Your vision may have improved so wearing them is more of a strain than it used to be. Or your eyes are more used to moving and blinking in a healthy natural way, and now the contacts feel like an obstruction. This is good! If you ordered eyeglasses from Zenni, I found they take as much as 2 weeks to get to me in in NY, but it's worth the wait. Let us know how things go when you have transitioned out of the contacts. To me your negative reaction to them is even more proof they're not good for you. Your body's wisdom is speaking!
Yes. I think they stopped promoting those contacts you wear for a few weeks at a time, even to sleep, because so many people were getting eye infections from them. The healthy eye is meant to blink, be moist, and exchange oxygen with the air, and any contacts no matter how comfortable are going to interfere with this. The longer you leave them in, the more your eyes will fight this strait-jacket.
Thanks Nance, for this info
I will try to visit your site, but im curios is there any informative statement i could get.?

howtodealwithdepression.org
I'm not sure what you mean by "informative statement". Feel free to visit my blog; that's why I write it. It's a combination of my meandering vision improvement journey and my dreaming. The very first post has a brief summary of my visual history. I'm leaving town for a few days soon to visit family, but ask me a question here if you want something more specific, and I'll answer when I get back, or one of the other helpful folks here will.
Hi,

The only thing i can think of is "'concretions", they are bumps of calcium that build up under your eyes, if you think you might have them go to a doctor. They will numb your eyes, and scrap the bumps off. You must get them removed or they could cause blindness.

Thanks. God Bless

how to treat depression

Perfect Sight Without Glasses free download