MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
Tackling Skepticism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tackling Skepticism
One of the important part of following the 'Bates Method' is handling skeptics. I've read a lot of recurring questions that are never answered in other websites, forums, blogs etc. I would like to start a question & answer thread that will help the people who wish to face critics head-on.
I'm beginning by posting some of the most common criticisms I've come across with answers to them. Additions are always welcome.

Q. Bates Method is useless. It doesn't work for me. Why do some say it works?
A. That's because you haven't understood anything yet. It always works when done correctly.

Q. If the Bates Method really works, why isn't everyone doing it already?
A. Try applying this logic to Law & Order, why is crime so common? Do you believe everyone will necessarily follow what is right?

Q. If palming rests the eyes, why doesn't sleep do the same?
A. Most people do not realize that the mind works overtime during sleep. The entire reparation of the body takes place during sleep - the mind does not rest during sleep.

Q. Why do the majority of the doctors discredit the Bates Method entirely?
A. The opinion of the majority isn't always correct. Accepting the Bates Method for them is to discredit their life's study (& financial earnings). Not everyone is courageous enough to admit it.

Q. Why hasn't the Bates Method become mainstream?
A. There are a lot of things that don't become mainstream for a long time. Take Heliocentricism for example, first proposed in 3 B.C. but became mainstream in the 17th century.

Q. Wouldn't the Sun treatment (or looking at the Sun) burn the eyes?
A. In very simple words : NO.

Q. Why shouldn't I use glasses for emergencies?
A. Reverting back to a bad habit is easier than reverting to a good one. Its just like smoking - you'll have to let go completely.

Q. How can you see only one point at a time? I see everything.
A. Misunderstanding. Seeing perfectly is paying attention to one point at a time - the area outside this point is in the lesser attention region. Imperfect sight occurs when this process is disrupted.

For those itching to post about Aldous Huxley :
Picture yourself a large crowd, you're recovering from almost complete blindness & you are to speak in front of the crowd. You are extremely nervous - legs shaking, voice trembling. Isn't there a possibility you would strain yourself to the extent that you are unable to read?
Since no one is itching to post about Aldous Huxley or anything else for that matter, I'll just reply to myself.

You're an idiot! Who's gonna read your topic? Wasting your time trying to cure myopia. Just put on your glasses & enjoy crystal clear vision.
I looked up on Google for 'Bates Method' & I found this on Wikipedia. Its about Aldous Huxley who was almost blind & claimed to be cured by Bates.

Wikipedia Wrote:Then suddenly he faltered—and the disturbing truth became obvious. He wasn't reading his address at all. He had learned it by heart. To refresh his memory he brought the paper closer and closer to his eyes. When it was only an inch or so away he still couldn't read it, and had to fish for a magnifying glass in his pocket to make the typing visible to him. It was an agonizing moment.

Its obvious the Bates Method is a complete scam. This Huxley guy claimed he had his eyes cured from blindness but when he couldn't read in front of the crowd. He used a frickin' magnifying glass to read his own address. I mean even though most people do not need to read their own address but this guy...he's a liar & so was Bates.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

BTW, I'm a newbie & I don't know anything about the Bates Method. Can anyone plz explain how do I start? I have about -4 in both eyes.
Do I need to read the book? I'm not really interested in books so can I cure myself by just doing exercises from the forum?

Thanks in Advance,
it simple

just dont care about eyes and what you can see, dont stare on one point and sometimes soft close your eyes ( i mean longer than 0.1 sec Smile )

talk a lot with people, then you will forgot about eyes very quickly and you will see some flash Smile
Hi 2extreme2fit!
Your auto-reply made me laugh!
Just a little word to say that I appreciate your posts! English is not my native language and I still have been able to read (many times) every books freely available on this website and on central-fixation.com! I understand you...

Have a nice day of improvements!
-Alexandre
Alexndre Wrote:Hi 2xtreme2fit! Your auto-reply made me laugh!
Finally, I thought I'd lost my sense of humor these last 4 months.
Quote:English is not my native language
Neither is mine.
Quote: and I still have been able to read (many times) every books freely available on this website and on central-fixation.com! I understand you...
I'm not sure what you really mean by "I understand you" ??? but I'd sure like to know.
Since, I'm nearly cured I feel confident in telling you that no other book than 'Cure of Imperfect Sight...' & the magazine 'Better Eyesight' is required to cure oneself without any guidance. The only other piece of text you'll need is a Snellen Eye Chart.
Quote:Have a nice day of improvements!
Instead wish me a 40/20 for now unless you're running low on wishes. Wink

OH, and BTW, its 2XTREME2FIT - look down
I've often thought of that wiki quote. I suppose the entry is the same as when I read it 3 years ago. It's really very disheartening for a beginner. I have always thought that if 'received wisdom' or the 'official view' was that this natural method (Bates method) works rather than (as it appears to be) the opposite, it would be MUCH easier for people to return to clear vision. For any newbies reading: we are not nutters, it really does work but you have to stick at it.
Quote:Did you know everyone has a blind spot? It's true.

I don't mean the blind spot you get behind you when you're out on the road driving -- where you can't see a passing car in your rear-view mirror. Instead, I'm talking about something that's an aspect of human physiology: the "anatomical blind spot" (punctum caecum) -- a place inside your eye where the optic nerve runs through the clusters of sensory cells that detect light.

Because the optic nerve sits right on the space where the light detection cells are (and takes up space where those cells otherwise would be), there's a spot right in the middle of your field of vision where your eye can't detect anything at all (if you're in the mood for a bit of experimentation, check out Wikipedia's test for the visual blind spot).

It's amazing: We go about our day to day lives not noticing that there's a huge empty void right in the heart of our field of vision. Our brain "glosses over" the missing data so that we're not always tripping over the hole in our vision. It's only after interpretive processing (the way the brain handles the missing data) that the deficit in the instrument gets "smoothed over." In other words, two organs need to work in tandem for vision to work -- the power of the mind to interpret turns an imperfect instrument (the eye) into an exceptional one.

* Excerpt from TechNewsWorld.com
From the blog of an Optometrist

I quoted his views in the Critics of the Stupid Kind topic - he posted a typical expected response on his blog regarding the Bates Method.
While I agree that there is no "Conspiracy" among Eye doctors but I do note that this kind of attitude is a modern human tendency.
In my mind, It is being done to avoid Losing Credibility. Once credibility is lost, the profitable career of an Eye doctor goes to hell.

Keep in mind, lots of so-called quackery turns out to be correct in the future. The Heliocentric theory is a good example of such cases.
I watched the movie 'The Prestige' (2006) & I was intrigued by two quotes said by Nikola Tesla. These two quotes make perfect sense in life.

Quote:Society tolerates only one change at a time.

This is true for the case of Dr. Bates as well. Society could not accept two contradicting theories at the same time. His one fell hard.

Quote:The truly extraordinary is not permitted in science and industry.

This is observable in all situations possible in this world. Name one truly extraordinary thing that has been allowed in our lives - none.
The second self-reply

U still haven't grown a brain, have u? I'm gonna say it slowly so u can understand : U...R...A...F...O...O...L (preiod)
Who told u staring "d-grades" vision, eh? I stared for a minute & my eyes magicaly started leakin' water - that's a miracle. I saw clearly for a second then I saw stars, red eyes, pain, a fool in the mirror etc.
Next day I visited an eye doc, my glasses power gone down from -0.75,-1.25 to -1.75,-2.00. I'm happy that I reduced my prescription.
i wanted 0 prescription but now i'm in negative - see how good my eyes r!! woo!! i can't see anything without my glasses!!
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I didn't no anything abt staring. i thought if i concentrate i wud c clearly but my eyes started paining, plz can sum1 tell me what i shud not do???? i cant stop staring btw i'm still staring, shud i stop or shud i wait until my eyes leak blood???
Quote:A critic is a man who knows the way but can't drive the car.
Quote:Pay no attention to what critics say. A statue has never been erected in honor of a critic.
Quote:Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain and most fools do.
Quote:It is ridiculous for any man to criticize the works of another if he has not distinguished himself by his own performances.
Quote:Criticism is prejudice made plausible.
Quote:Critics, like the rest of mankind, are very frequently misled by interest.
Quote:The lot of critics is to be remembered by what they failed to understand.
Quote:Criticism is an indirect form of self-boasting.
Quote:Don't criticize what you don't understand, son. You never walked in that man's shoes.
Quote:All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

Perfect Sight Without Glasses free download