MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
Releasing Emotional Barriers and Trauma

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Releasing Emotional Barriers and Trauma
Well: some people say that our vision suffers because of genes and some say because of activities like reading too much, etc.

I think Bates hit it right on though about the whole strain thing. Suppose you had a bad night of sleep: naturally your eyes are tired right? When we then strain to read and do lots of computer work, etc it just makes the strain worse: ths producing the blurry vision. We also pick up bad visual habits from our parents.

I also think emotional trauma is a bad form of strain. How can you release it: let go: forgive those who hurt you and become at peace with yourself and life?

And how to not be scared of eye exams and doctors?
In general vision students are able to identify a significant and causal emotional stress when which emotions relate most strongly to which refractive errors are discussed. Usually the events in the 6 to 12 months preceding the start of visual blur are very significant. Visual blur is a form of protection, and the underlying emotional habits that create this protection need to be dealt with to get strong and lasting improvement in eyesight, along with doing the physical activities for the eyes themselves.

Talk therapy can help to identify the issues and emotions, but they are held in the body and usually forms of physical release are most helpful.

The first stage is discovery, what are the emotions most impacting your visual blur. It helps to know that myopia relates to fear, hyperopia to anger and astigmatism to fear plus anger.

Then finding ways to physically and verbally get in touch with those feelings and use your voice and body (various techniques are safe and possible for this) to actually express and get them out of the body.

Then it's important to go back into where those feelings were and set up some positive neurological pathways (feeling thought habits) in their place, so as not to fall back into the old habits.

A good way to deal with the fear of eye doctors and exams is to use the methods above to express and replace the fear with your personal opposite, and we also teach our students to practice their vision activities and good vision habits on eye charts at home to help alleviate the performance anxiety that comes with being tested.
Carina Goodrich, Natural Vision Improvement Teacher, Daughter of and trained by the famous, greatest, long time Natural Vision Improvement Teacher Janet Goodrich! This is so great to have you on iblindness.org Forum!! I look forward to reading all your posts, learning from the best! With You and David's posts on here, people that need help with eyesight improvement will have all they need to succeed.
This is a really relevant thread - maybe it could be moved into the Bates Method section?

Thank you, Carina Goodrich, for this excellent insight and advice. I have found what you said to be absolutely true in my own case. The process of vision improvement has sent me through some very bumpy emotional ups and downs - the ups being the joy of seeing what I have never seen before, and the new experience of being fully present in the moment. The downs have come from a steadily surfacing discomfort accompanying those breakthroughs. I would say that I have moved through the following emotions in various stages of visual improvement: general anxiety, downright fear, sadness, confusion, anger, and bewilderment - all of which seemed to relate more to my past than my present. In fact, when I first took of my glasses 'for good' - I felt like a 10 year old for a couple of months (10 being the age I got glasses). It was terrible! The vulnerability, the general uncertainty about the world. The emphasis you place on getting these feelings out through physical movement is great.

After that, I found that replacing those feelings with positive new connections was a bit trickier and took more time. So, resetting the pathways has been a longer process (though not unsuccessful). Do you have any specific advice about how best to do this? Generally I have used positive phrases that corresponded to the original feeling such as: if I was originally afraid, then I would look around at my environment and reassure myself that all was ok, that I was safe, that I was in control of my life, that nothing was going to jump out at me from around the corner, etc. But I had to repeat this step ALOT before I finally believed myself Smile

I also have found that one of the reasons for fearing eye doctors has to do with a general imbalance between self-belief vs. belief in other people's opinions - for example, I feel that I spent my 'glasses years' listening to the criticism/advice/recommendations/corrections of others rather than trusting my own perception of the situation and my thoughts about it. Once you realize this subconscious imbalance, see that this imbalance isn't natural, and work to build up your own self-belief, much of the fear of the eye doctor's office goes away.
seetheleaves, hi. I know you addressed your question to Carina, and I'm hoping she'll still weigh in. Here's my 2 cents: I'm also going through this and have been for several years, but I know the only way "out" is to keep going forward, noticing my feelings of overwhelm or terror or whatever, then reminding myself I am NOT 5 any longer (when I first got glasses) and that I can cope with the situation. I think, the same as practicing good visual habits like shifting and blinking, practicing good emotional habits is necessary too, and the more you do it, the better you get at it, and the more automatic the healthy response becomes. I heard a talk on the nervous system recently which likened those old pathways to a road that's well-paved, so you have to stop using it and maintaining it, and start using the new pathway and building it up, when it may be only a dirt path at the beginning. The speaker also said "neurons that fire together, wire together" which I've heard before -- the more you practice any habit (good or bad), the more ingrained it gets in your physiology.

I hope that's helpful -- from your post it sounds like you're doing everything right. Give yourself a pat on the back and be more gentle with yourself (I need this advice too!). Take care.
Nancy,

Thanks for this response! I especially needed this particular reassurance:

Quote:practicing good emotional habits is necessary too, and the more you do it, the better you get at it, and the more automatic the healthy response becomes. I heard a talk on the nervous system recently which likened those old pathways to a road that's well-paved, so you have to stop using it and maintaining it, and start using the new pathway and building it up, when it may be only a dirt path at the beginning.

It does take time but I have seen in myself that the above explanation is true Smile
Carina Goodrich back doing in person talks...

Always posts free help, articles on her website.

http://www.janetgoodrichmethod.com/2012/...mment-4884

Perfect Sight Without Glasses free download