MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
Palming versus peripheral vision

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Palming versus peripheral vision
I have noticed that palming and peripheral vision in fact actually is the same, since they cause the same effect.
The difference is that peripheral vision is superior and natural,
because it is much more handy and viable in daily life.
I am thus even palming now when I'm writing this message to you,
which I of course couldn't have done if I was forced to palm according to Bates original palming method.
I thus never palm according to Bates original palming method, it is a true waste of time according to me. >Big Grin
Think of it, to be honest I think actually that people have just four minutes left per day to palm according to Bates original method.
Then I am thus palming 250 times more efficiently with just enabling the peripheral vision compared to having to waste time to palm according to Bates original palming method.

But, in order to learn how to enable the peripheral vision I think Bates palming method though can be useful,
but it is thus only an initial learning process.
When you've learnt how to be aware of the periphery you don't need tha Bates palming method anymore !
Wink
Hi Hammer

Could you explain how this is done in practice, how you are aware of peripheral vision while focussing your attention on a small point?
sean Wrote:Hi Hammer

Could you explain how this is done in practice, how you are aware of peripheral vision while focussing your attention on a small point?

Yes, but it is hard to explain.
Try to palm with your hands over your eyes according to Bates method, but let your eyes be open instead.
If you are relaxed then you shall see black all around you and you shall see blackness all out to the widest periphery you can imagine.
The more black you see the more relaxed your eyes are, thus it is a perfect test. Smile
Then try to open your eyes and have the same feeling when watching things with your peripheral vision.
After a while you notice that it is a relaxing state, almost as meditation actually, and you never want to leave this relaxed state.
The purpose of this method is that you shall be relaxed also when you watch things in real life and not just during a minute when you palm according to Bates original method.
You can watch this video, it is a bit boring actually, but the lady in the video actually learns the other lady to use her eyes in a more relaxed state:
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNikbmC4Cqw">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNikbmC4Cqw</a><!-- m -->
I think it is also called "open focus", but I prefer to just call it peripheral vision as the lady said in the video.
Sounds interesting.
I will test it. Wink
Thanks for sharing this stuff with us, hammer!

I liked it so much I ended up walking around for 2 days doing it, because I loved the clarity it gave me. Then my eyes started hurting, like they were about to break out of their sockets sideways, I tried stopping but I couldn't. Then I could finally stop and now just turn it on sometimes... (If there was a competition on who can turn something relaxing into strain the fastest way, I would win gold medal every time!!! :-))
Anyhow, I have something interesting to tell you guys:
When I was a child, I met this girl, who was considered to be the most beautiful girl in Hungary at the time. (There was even an article about her in a newspaper comparing her to Miss Hungary and how everyone thought she was far prettier...) Anyways, she was the daughter of one of my father's friends so I saw her a couple of times. I guess I was staring at her, as everyone else was and many years later I realized something. There was something in the way she looked at things and people. At first I thought it was the look of a person with great self esteem (as in being full of herself - but that's just a nasty way of saying the same thing :-)). Then when I read more about Central Fixation as Bates and others described it, I accidently occasionally felt like I got that look on my face (without becoming gorgeous, of course...) , at those times, I would be regarding something that needed some of my attention, like a piece of apple that I would be peelling and had the ability to pay attention to things around me, too. Also the look would always follow an event of some great achievement, when I was proud of something and felt great confidence in my abilities to do things. But it happened too rarely, as the achievement had to be so great...
So when I watched you-tube and they explained the technique of peripheral vision, I tried it first with skepticism, of course, but tried it anyways, and I said, this is it! This is the look! I now know how to turn this on at will and it made me soooo happy! I don't know if anyone else can do this, or only certain people with certain kind of strain can benefit. Or someone has to get through a few months of strict bates training, as I did now... I don't know... It is definitely something that I will continue to practice (with limit now) and will be part of my Bates tool kit. In fact, as I turned this on, I could just move further away from my laptop screen by a couple of inches! So I highly recommend this to others! Thanks hammer!

Andrea
that's a great way of thinking of central fixation! I think these indirect ways of teaching / learning central fixation are most successful as people commenting have noted. I just wrote a blog post about it actually.

in order to see where you are looking at best, dr. Bates always said you see 'everything else worse'. That's noticing your peripheral vision, and is all you need for perfect sight.

Sorrisi
Andrea Major Wrote:Thanks for sharing this stuff with us, hammer!

I liked it so much I ended up walking around for 2 days doing it, because I loved the clarity it gave me. Then my eyes started hurting, like they were about to break out of their sockets sideways, I tried stopping but I couldn't. Then I could finally stop and now just turn it on sometimes... (If there was a competition on who can turn something relaxing into strain the fastest way, I would win gold medal every time!!! :-))
Anyhow, I have something interesting to tell you guys:
When I was a child, I met this girl, who was considered to be the most beautiful girl in Hungary at the time. (There was even an article about her in a newspaper comparing her to Miss Hungary and how everyone thought she was far prettier...) Anyways, she was the daughter of one of my father's friends so I saw her a couple of times. I guess I was staring at her, as everyone else was and many years later I realized something. There was something in the way she looked at things and people. At first I thought it was the look of a person with great self esteem (as in being full of herself - but that's just a nasty way of saying the same thing :-)). Then when I read more about Central Fixation as Bates and others described it, I accidently occasionally felt like I got that look on my face (without becoming gorgeous, of course...) , at those times, I would be regarding something that needed some of my attention, like a piece of apple that I would be peelling and had the ability to pay attention to things around me, too. Also the look would always follow an event of some great achievement, when I was proud of something and felt great confidence in my abilities to do things. But it happened too rarely, as the achievement had to be so great...
So when I watched you-tube and they explained the technique of peripheral vision, I tried it first with skepticism, of course, but tried it anyways, and I said, this is it! This is the look! I now know how to turn this on at will and it made me soooo happy! I don't know if anyone else can do this, or only certain people with certain kind of strain can benefit. Or someone has to get through a few months of strict bates training, as I did now... I don't know... It is definitely something that I will continue to practice (with limit now) and will be part of my Bates tool kit. In fact, as I turned this on, I could just move further away from my laptop screen by a couple of inches! So I highly recommend this to others! Thanks hammer!

Andrea

I have also noticed this look you talk about Andrea. It is quite common among people that are famous or have really certain skills. For instance the smartest student had this natural look on a university I studied at. I also know that people with very beautiful eyes have this look, because it is a look of relaxation. I think this look relaxes mind such that the whole brain function better. The feeling is oneness with everything and awareness of what you look at. It is really a strong feeling of relaxation. My first goal was to get perfect sight with Bates, but I actually am quite satisfied with this new look I have, because it is the look of meditation. In fact I can control relaxation of the eyes by this look. I look at a detail and the wider periphery I see simultaneously the better I see the detail. For instance if I have a clear flash I can easier keep the clear flash by just be more aware of the periphery. I am also really happy about this, it is a strong driveforce for me. Smile Try also to be aware of sounds around you, it increases the feeling of sharp focus on a detail. So this is awareness. Congratulations, you have learnt haw to be aware. Smile It is strange that your eyes hurts, sorry for that, I don't have these problems, maybe you are not totally relaxed yet.

5 TIPS TO IMPROVE YOUR VISION IMMEDIATELY!

Quickly prove to yourself that vision improvement is possible, with this free PDF download.

Download Now