MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
Spasms, pseudomyopia, myopia

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Spasms, pseudomyopia, myopia
So I was talking to this ophthalmologist (no, it's not a start to a bad joke) and he argued bates applies only for a small group of people who have accommodative spasm, which is a very small percentage of myopia. Not knowing what that was, I went looking for info on google and what I found was rather vague. Now I see this had been discussed here before. I'm a bit confused.

If I understand correctly accommodative spasm can cause pseudomyopia which is like normal myopia except for the elongation of the eyeballs. So far correct? Are there any other differences? How can I tell which myopia do I have? Also, do I get pseudomyopia when and only when I get rid of my myopia? :Smile
See here:

<!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.iblindness.org/community/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=61">viewtopic.php?f=6&t=61</a><!-- l -->

Short answer - your doctor is wrong.

Dave
Site Administrator

"Half of our funny, heathen lives, we are bent double to gather things we have tossed away." - George Meredith
T Wrote:So I was talking to this ophthalmologist (no, it's not a start to a bad joke) and he argued bates applies only for a small group of people who have accommodative spasm, which is a very small percentage of myopia. Not knowing what that was, I went looking for info on google and what I found was rather vague. Now I see this had been discussed here before. I'm a bit confused.

If I understand correctly accommodative spasm can cause pseudomyopia which is like normal myopia except for the elongation of the eyeballs. So far correct? Are there any other differences? How can I tell which myopia do I have? Also, do I get pseudomyopia when and only when I get rid of my myopia? :Smile

If your eyes are longer than they should then you can feel the eyestrain in the eyemuscles when your eyes are moving by will.
Test 1: Automatically track (follow) an object that moves with your eyes (central vision) and you shall feel that the eyes are moving smoothly without discomfort, you should not feel your eyes, because the muscles have no problem to relax when the mind is not involved, the mind is not involved when you automatically track (snap on to) an object that moves.
Test 2: Then try to by will move your eyes to track for instance a vertical line up/down or curvature of an object that is still, then your eyes also shall move smoothly without jumping or being interrupted that would make you feel strain instead of not feeling your eyes. In the case of elongation the mind gets in the way such that you cannot move your eyes in a relaxed way with your mind by will. So that is the way you can tell it.

If you have pseudomyopia I guess movement is not involved that much in the very strain problem. Instead it might be just an accommodation problem that is solved if you train to focus on different distances and train to release your mind from negative feelings, this is a bit tricky because you cannot control the ciliar muscle by will, you need to relax mind instead and so on,
but as you know Bates method is based on getting your eyes to move, and not just training to accommodate, so I think the ophthalmologist you talked with missed that Bates intention was to get your eyes to move naturally.

If you still are puzzled it could very well be that you have both types of myopia. If you start training and get unusually fast result it is probably due to the cilliar muscle spasm you talked about.
It takes longer time to cure the "normal" myopia, but it is not impossible, at least this is my view.
So people give up to early, they often fall on the finishing line when they needed just to continue.

I have measured the radius of my cornea and it is exactly the same on both my eyes, but I am more nearsighted on my right eye compared to my left eye (it differs actually as much as -1.75 D).
Well, I don't know if one can tell anything out of those measures. I think it is strange that the strength differs when the radius is exactly the same.
It is also strange that I don't have any astigmatism at all, this is also something (a sign) that could mean that the cause could be pseudomyopia instead.
I suspect due to this that I have some spasm in my right eye at least, but I'm not really sure. My eyesight changes during the day. Sometimes it is quite good, sometimes perfect and sometimes it is much worse, I think this could be due to pseudomyopia but I'm not sure. It doesn't mean anything to me to measure my eyesight myself at home. What means anything to me is that I just FEEL relaxed. I actually don't care if it is a little blurry, because what is important to me is to be relaxed and aware at the same time, feel the oneness of space with the world instead of seeing it through a wall of glass.
Dave, that thread doesn't answer me what I want to know. Are you saying pseudomyopia is a made-up term, an excuse for ophthalmologists to explain why vision improvement can happen? Or is there a difference between the two?

Hammer, you're saying myopia=strain presence, pseudomyopia=no strain? If so, it doesn't seem quite right. I believe myopia and strain go hand in hand. Pseudo or not.
Actually pseudomyopia is diagnosed only on those with -1 or even -2. Never seen someone with pseudomyopia and -3. Thats why a person with -1 for example, that is not needing glasses and possibly never wore them, can some times have nearly perfect or perfect vision. If the doctor see him at a time with -1 and after some hours with -0.25, then he will diagnose pseudomyopia.

Here the Army doctors will diagnose pseudo-myopia cause of tiredness to any recruits they have from -1.50 and lower.

So, when someone has a low myopia, and he becomes aware of the changes in vision, something that can happen easily and anytime, when he asks his doctor why this is happening, the doctor will tell to that person that he has pseudomyopia.

There is a billion dollar industry that needs constantly fuel and the doctor has to make a living you know!

Myopia=strain presence. Correct.
Pseudomyopia=no strain. Not true actually. Pseudomyopia is, as you said, a made up tern to justify the changes that are not supposed to be happen in the eye.
Perfect vision=no strain. Correct.

Yes, strain is caused by many psychological reasons.

P.S.
Read the Bates Book!!!
T Wrote:Dave, that thread doesn't answer me what I want to know. Are you saying pseudomyopia is a made-up term, an excuse for ophthalmologists to explain why vision improvement can happen? Or is there a difference between the two?

Hammer, you're saying myopia=strain presence, pseudomyopia=no strain? If so, it doesn't seem quite right. I believe myopia and strain go hand in hand. Pseudo or not.

Of course pseudomyopia=strain, but it is strain in the cilliar muscle instead, that effects accomodation of the lens.
Of course myopia=strain, but it is strain in the six eyemuscles that holds your eye into an exact position and movement in your eye sockets, that effects the form of your eye ball.
Look at your eyes in the mirror and ask them, do you eyes feel really relaxed now in your sockets, are you eyes pleased, look your self straight into your eyes in the mirror, you can actually tell by looking at your eyes if your eyes seems to be relaxed, tired or not, probably your eyes both answers at the same time loudly (you know bodylanguage) "oh, no we have been put into a jail of hell for such a too long time, we both eyes feel so stressed and tired as we are not allowed either to move or relax enough and it is too tight here in the eye sockets because of the way your treating us like this, and there is no oxygen her in the jail, probably your eyes would say with frustration. Look at your eyes again, do you see the respect they show, because they really expect you to make a change. Your eyes actually desire to be free." So there is sure a reason why you get myopia, else of course you shouldn't have any eye problems at all. Now, your mind can help your eyes to feel better, get relaxed eyes and thus the form is altered as a consequence such that it becomes much easier for your eyes to do there task perfectly, because your eyes becomes free to adapt to the surrounding visual conditions. There must be an adaptive control mechanism in your visual system that forms (adapts) the form of your eyes to new visual circumstances, but the thing is that I believe it takes some time to recover the form as eyeball form changes slowly but the cilliar muscle can recover more quickly. At least this is my interpretation.
Mind controls nerves, muscles and everything in the body.
If you hit someones leg with a bat, the leg doesn't pain. Mind causes him to feel pain on his leg.
Pain is in the Mind.
Psychological conditions are also in the Mind.
And myopia is one of them.

If you cure the Mind, the body will respond and will work naturally, because the eyes have no problem. Mind has.

Its hard and frustrating, but if someone wants to seriously start Bates Method, he has to admit and accept the Fact that he is Mentally ill. Otherwise any cure will be suppressed from the Fact that is being buried inside the Mind.
Let's not stray too much. Now, Ares, you are saying there's no such thing as pseudomyopia and Hammer you are saying there is. Which is it now?

Maybe I wasn't clear enough when I mentioned the doctor. I wasn't asking if what he said about bates is right/wrong. I'm just curious about pseudomyopia itself.
We are both correct i believe.

Pseudomyopia is a non-existing condition that exists.

Its like a scotoma in vision. Nothing physical, just an illusion.
But a Floater is something that exists in the eye, but seeing it is also an illusion.

Myopia itself is an illusion. Eyes on most people are able to see perfect. But if mind is sicks, then it can cause this illusion. For some reasons, mind doesn't want to see.

To put it clear. If you are not a mutant, and your shape of your Scull is natural, there is nothing keeping you away from perfect vision than the Mind.

Pseudomyopia does exist on people with low myopia. Some times, people with low myopia are more happy, or exited, or the experience personality changes. Or even they got away from that was caused their myopia to develop at first place. But in their Minds, myopia is incurable. But the Mind knows it's not because the mid created the myopia. So the mind doesn't give a damn if you think it's incurable and if you forgot about it and accept it, and decide to live with it, the mind will find a leap-hole to undone some of the myopia when you are not noticing. Specially in times you get more happy and such. But if you for example had myopia caused only from stress in school and you graduated, your myopia will change for -1 to -0.25, then -0.50 and so on. You have to have low myopia, otherwise you won't notice the changes and you will not visit the doctor.

You understand that can't be happening right? I mean, for the doctors, myopia is incurable.
So they came up with the Pseudomyopia theory. And so, if you are a bit stressed, sad, tired or something like that, they say that your vision might get temporary distorted.

Try to understand them. They had to find away to explain away these changes.

Truth is, that vision is not always the same.
Nothing in human body, animals or Nature stays always the same.

Perfect Sight Without Glasses free download