MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
Re: To Otis (or others) about using plus lens.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Re: To Otis (or others) about using plus lens.
I found this site when I recently started to get serious about clearing my vision. About three years ago, I tried to get some "fitness" glasses to wear because I read that would help improve my vision. I could not find any doctor that would prescribe me a lens to see about 20/40 - I was told I was crazy basically. I finally got around this by getting a doctor to give me "computer" glasses in addition to a stronger minus lens for everday use.

I wore the lower lens most of the time until about a year ago when I started taking my glasses off more. The prescription was -1 and -1.25 with an astigmatism of -.5 in both eyes. I can now see clearly 20/20 full line out of these lens when my original prescription was -2.75 and -2.50 with the same astigmatism.

I just recently got a new pair of glasses with -.50 and -.75 as the prescription and I can see 20/40 out of them.

I am a little confused about how the plus works. After reading a bit I went out and bought some +1.25 glasses. I have to get 12 inches in front of my computer screen in order to read it clearly. I thought I had read it wrong then and went out to the store and looked at the stronger plus prescriptions. With the stronger ones I found I had to bring things in even closer to see them clearly so I decided not to  buy anymore until I could talk to someone about this here.

I am game to try the plus lenses and have found that my eyes are a bit clearer after doing computer work or reading when I wear them - or at least they are not fuzzier after I'm done. I can see the computer screen clearly at 21 inches without my glasses on.

I would love some feedback on what I should or could be doing. I have already improved my vision enough to know that it can be done.

Thanks!
Lisa
Dear Lisa,

Initially, the "plus" seems like the WRONG idea.

The minus works "instantly" and the plus does not.

This is indeed a paradox -- and takes time to understand.
Time that most ODs can not spend with you because
you expect very sharp vision -- INSTANTLY.

If you do not get this, you think the OD a fraud.

Thus the majority-opinion "sells" what works instantly,
and IGNORES the secondary consequence -- which
must be stair-case myopia with the minus.

Bates pointed this out by stating that is a person is
at 20/70, and wears a full-strenght minus all the time,
well his naked eye vision will go to 20/200 very rapidly.

That is the basis of the second opinion, to OBJECT to
that minus, and work to clear from 20/70 to pass
ALL LEGAL VISUAL REQUIREMENTS -- under YOUR CONTROL.

I personally "give up" on these majority-opinion ODs -- as
Bates did.  We agree on that point.

But the real issue, is that you personally verify your Snellne
(by reading it), and if at all possible -- get rid of your minus -- consitent
with passing the DMV.

I wish ALL ODS would warn us of the proven effect of the
minus on our REFRACTIVE STATES.  The science is very
strong on that issue.  (I have posed scientific proof
to that effect.)

But the real issue is what you can do about vision-clearing.

As you have seen, Bob is clearing his vision from 20/200 or so -- by
Bates.  If he continues -- and PASSES the DMV -- the he
is an outstanding success.

I onlly SUGGEST the use of the plus to "augment" Bates -- consistent
with the second-opinion concept.

I would suggest confirming your BEST Snellen -- by reading
a chart out-doors in sun light.  If you can read the
20/60 line -- you have a good possibility of clearing
your naked-eye vision to PASS the DMV -- and legally
get rid of that minus.

(Obviously more clearing is possible -- but the DMV is
a bench mark for objective SUCCESS.)

David had been supportive of these anti-minus
second-opinions.  We should thank him for
his fourm on these topics.

Best,

Otis
Dear Lisa,

This is a Bates site -- and I respect that issue.

I personally wish that I had support for a PREVENTIVE
second-opinion -- when I NEEDED it -- but never got
it.  I certainly DO UNDERSTAND the difficulties of
true-prevention with the plus. They are not
trivial.  But let me respond:

Lisa> I found this site when I recently started to get serious about clearing my vision. About three years ago, I tried to get some "fitness" glasses to wear because I read that would help improve my vision. I could not find any doctor that would prescribe me a lens to see about 20/40 - I was told I was crazy basically. I finally got around this by getting a doctor to give me "computer" glasses in addition to a stronger minus lens for everday use.

Otis> These majority-opinion ODs have their heads buried in their office -- and never see the "light" of scientific day.  Bates pointed out how destructive they are with their over-prescribed minus.  I object to
their "arrogance", but I do understand their "position".

I wore the lower lens most of the time until about a year ago when I started taking my glasses off more. The prescription was -1 and -1.25 with an astigmatism of -.5 in both eyes. I can now see clearly 20/20 full line out of these lens when my original prescription was -2.75 and -2.50 with the same astigmatism.

Otis>  I advocate prevention BEFORE the minus -- always.  But once you wear the minus -- your eyes "adapt" to it -- and that makes vision clearing very difficult.

I just recently got a new pair of glasses with -.50 and -.75 as the prescription and I can see 20/40 out of them.

Otis>  I am sorry to be in a position to see this "too little -- too late".  But that is part of the harsh reality that we deal with.

Lisa> I am a little confused about how the plus works. After reading a bit I went out and bought some +1.25 glasses. I have to get 12 inches in front of my computer screen in order to read it clearly. I thought I had read it wrong then and went out to the store and looked at the stronger plus prescriptions.

Otis>  The "advocacy" is that the "plus" be started before your Snellen goes below 20/70.  I belive that all ODs should AUTOMATICALLY broach this subject with you -- as professinals.  That way you could make a choice in this matter.  But they profoundly stone-wall this attempt at professional honesty.  That is why I post here.

With the stronger ones I found I had to bring things in even closer to see them clearly so I decided not to  buy anymore until I could talk to someone about this here.

Otis>  That is correct.

I am game to try the plus lenses and have found that my eyes are a bit clearer after doing computer work or reading when I wear them - or at least they are not fuzzier after I'm done. I can see the computer screen clearly at 21 inches without my glasses on.

Otis>  At 21 inches, your "power" would be about -1.75 diotpers (because of that darned minus lens.)  You Snellen would be about 20/100.  I would suggest checking.

I would love some feedback on what I should or could be doing. I have already improved my vision enough to know that it can be done.

Otis>  Because of that minus -- the situation is indeed difficuilt.
You might read:

<!-- w --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.myopiafree.com">http://www.myopiafree.com</a><!-- w -->

for a more complete discussion of this preventive
second-opinion.

Best,

Otis
Hi Otis,

Thank you for your in-depth reply.

Thank you to Dave also for this wonderful forum and his website as well. I take all information to heart and think different methods can often compliment each other well.

Lisa

5 TIPS TO IMPROVE YOUR VISION IMMEDIATELY!

Quickly prove to yourself that vision improvement is possible, with this free PDF download.

Download Now