MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
Recognizing Myopes

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Recognizing Myopes
Is it possible to recognize myopes just by looking at their picture?If it is, can anyone tell me how?
Here are some pictures:

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.iblindness.org/books/perfect-sight-without-glasses/ch9-cause-cure-refractive-errors.php">http://www.iblindness.org/books/perfect ... errors.php</a><!-- m -->
Thanks. But that's not what I was asking for. Maybe I should make my question clearer: How do you tell when someone is straining to see?
If you see a person with glasses "spaced out",looking to the floor for a few minutes is certain a myope.
an intense, unmoving (and often unblinking) stare

or looking like they are spaced out and staring at something which isn't there
seetheleaves, when I first read your post I thought you had written "unloving", not unmoving! Anyway, to me people's eyes who are stuck in a myopic pattern look distant, not present. Plus they seem to have cut off their peripheral vision and often don't notice people to the side of them, getting startled when they pop up "out of nowhere". I used to belong to a gym with a water fountain near the entrances to the locker rooms, and every time I was there I'd see 2 or 3 myopic people get visibly surprised by someone appearing at their shoulder when they stood up from taking a drink.
Yes, we myopes have a dull unfocused look in our eyes when without our glasses.
I have this look. I wear a slight undercorrection that requires me to squint when I need to see better..
I was formerly farsighted,and became nearsighted,by wearing minus glasses to reverse the farsightedness.
When I was farsighted my appearance without glasses was quite different than now.
You can read about my transition under the thread Farsightedness.
If you look at enough people with vision problems, you can generally point them out with a 70% accuracy ratio. "That dude just looks like he wears contacts. Can't explain why, but it just seems to be the case." "Sir, do you wear contacts?" "Yes I do." You can also roughly tell folks who don't have eye problems. There was this three year old I knew who just had eyes and a personality that totally said he could see fine. Someone who in interviews also looks similar in the eyes is Bailee Madison. I might be wrong, but her totally relaxed funloving demeanor goes straight through her eyes. I think she's an example of someone with perfect vision outwardly.
Got 2 school friends. Both of them have perfect sight. But when I'm observing them how they are looking at things, they do it different. First of them is a rather calm person, so when you look at his eyes, you can see steady, calm shifts, just like his personality. Second guy is a volcano! He's talkative, can't stay in one place for longer, so do his eyes(some form of ADHD maybe). When you look at his eyes, you would think that he might have some eye-problems and he's using (well incorrect) shift method described by David by forcing shifts and doing them mechanical. His eyes are in infinite movement, even when he's thinking about something (you know this feeling, looking at empty space and being unpresent) his eyes also move! He's also nervous person, got high blood pressure. I wouldn't say he's deeply relaxed or something. So I think relaxed state isn't indicator of having perfect sight. Of course it helps but I wouldn't say it's the only way to correct sight. Well it's not always sure who's myopic or who's not. You can be surprised.
Skywalker Wrote:Got 2 school friends. Both of them have perfect sight. But when I'm observing them how they are looking at things, they do it different. First of them is a rather calm person, so when you look at his eyes, you can see steady, calm shifts, just like his personality. Second guy is a volcano! He's talkative, can't stay in one place for longer, so do his eyes(some form of ADHD maybe). When you look at his eyes, you would think that he might have some eye-problems and he's using (well incorrect) shift method described by David by forcing shifts and doing them mechanical. His eyes are in infinite movement, even when he's thinking about something (you know this feeling, looking at empty space and being unpresent) his eyes also move! He's also nervous person, got high blood pressure. I wouldn't say he's deeply relaxed or something. So I think relaxed state isn't indicator of having perfect sight. Of course it helps but I wouldn't say it's the only way to correct sight. Well it's not always sure who's myopic or who's not. You can be surprised.

That's why I said 70% likelihood. It's really just an educated guess. But, it hardly matters anyway. Just a curiousity. If you're helping them, or just analyzing, then it sorta matters, but it's a case by case thing.
"Contradictions do not exist. Whenever you think you are facing a contradiction, check your premises." - Ayn Rand
Site Administrator

"Half of our funny, heathen lives, we are bent double to gather things we have tossed away." - George Meredith
David Wrote:"Contradictions do not exist. Whenever you think you are facing a contradiction, check your premises." - Ayn Rand

So are you saying that if you're wrong about someone being or not being a myope, then your calculations are off? If that's what you're saying, I understand, but (at least for me), I don't have much data to go off of in finding them.
David Wrote:"Contradictions do not exist. Whenever you think you are facing a contradiction, check your premises." - Ayn Rand

Disagree most heartily. It sounds good as a quote, but it ain't necessarily so. Ayn was very influential and a very good writer. That doesn't imply her logic was impeccable. I would suggest that contradictions do exist. Just a thought.

Be well,

Jim
Labels are dangerous. I may still fall back into some myopic patterns when I'm not paying attention, but I don't consider myself a myope. This feels like trying to decide someone's racial heritage, whether you're black or white or Hispanic or Asian or .... when there's been so much inter-marriage. Is someone with one Asian grandparent, one Cuban one, and the other 2 Caucasian, "white"? Yes this is frustrating to those who like to categorize things, but freeing to those like me who don't like limits. Us vs. Them doesn't work.
Nancy Wrote:Labels are dangerous. I may still fall back into some myopic patterns when I'm not paying attention, but I don't consider myself a myope. This feels like trying to decide someone's racial heritage, whether you're black or white or Hispanic or Asian or .... when there's been so much inter-marriage. Is someone with one Asian grandparent, one Cuban one, and the other 2 Caucasian, "white"? Yes this is frustrating to those who like to categorize things, but freeing to those like me who don't like limits. Us vs. Them doesn't work.

Thanks for the reminder. Along those lines, I tend to get frustrated seeing glasses on little kids (or anyone's) faces, which has negative stuff. I'm not sure what word I'm thinking of there, but you're right. We need to make sure we don't label things like you stated. It's there, but we shouldn't pay much attention to it. People are still people, just unique DNA and brainwave makeup.

Perfect Sight Without Glasses free download