MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
myopia in multiple personalities

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
myopia in multiple personalities
There are many cases reported in which a person with multiple personalities has different eye-problems connected to each personaliy; different prescriptions/eye-pressure etc.
It's even possible that one personality has perfect eye-sight and the other one needs glasses.(one example: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.earth-association.org/articles/by-earth-members/could-an-altered-vision-exist-in-an-altered-state.html">http://www.earth-association.org/articl ... state.html</a><!-- m -->)

So, if the vision really depends so much on the state of mind, wouldn't it be more effective - instead of relaxing and training our eyes - to relax and 'train' our mind/soul or at least try to do so in addition to the eye-training?

Or would hypnosis be an easier way to achieve perfect vision?
I heard about a person, who was cured from myopia after experiencing perfect eye-sight by going back into the time of his childhood (when he didn't need glasses yet) by hypnosis.

What do you think about that?
Maybe we should try to remember our state of mind and the vision connected to it during our childhood? Would this be a solution to our problem?
Dr. Bates said something like "If your imagination and memory are perfect, your sight is perfect", so I guess if you could hold onto that memory while you look now, it would work. I don't remember my clear sight (or much else) at age 3 or so, but I've had a little bit of success with imagining it. It's certainly worth a try.
Hm. I don't have a single memory from when I had perfect vision. My childhood just seems like a blur with the occasional moment in which I remember a little something. I can remember certain moments from when before I had glasses (like a photograph, but not a video, if you get what I mean), but nothing vivid or anything. Even stranger, I can't even remember when I first got glasses (was it first grade or second grade?).
Bates also said that hypnosis doesn't work because you are under strain in hypnosis. Nevertheless, I think hypnosis in those days could've been a lot different from what it is today.
Most probably it is even more difficult to come to a relaxed and positive state of mind than to relax the eyes and train correct seeing habits. But since mental strain can be an obstacle to clear vision, maybe it is worth of a little more attention.

The easiest way seems to me - just to enjoy everything I see. Trying not to get irritated by blurr and double images, not always checking how good my eyesight is today....Just concentrate on the positive, enjoy and be interested.

You can make a similar experience when you are reading something very interesting - then you can move the book much further away from the eyes ; they can easily deal with the increased distance and 'zoom' a clear image.
In the beginning of this eyer i attended classes of hypnotherapy-regressive and i thinked that my vision could improve. But the true is that is not possible (at least with this method). I will give you one example,i travel to my first year of school. So in my mind i saw and felt all the violence that i suffered from the teacher,so how could my vision improve if was living a moment under strain and stress ?
But as you said,the vision is a mental process. We have to see with the mind and not with the eyes.
Maybe it could even help to get rid of bad seeing habits if one imagines to have perfect vision (as most of us have experienced long ago) and then look around just as you would do if your vision was really perfect.
This would be a possibility to use 'imagination as an aid to vision', as suggested by Bates (<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.iblindness.org/books/perfect-sight-without-glasses/ch14-imagination-aid-vision.php">http://www.iblindness.org/books/perfect ... vision.php</a><!-- m -->).
Nini Wrote:Maybe it could even help to get rid of bad seeing habits if one imagines to have perfect vision (as most of us have experienced long ago) and then look around just as you would do if your vision was really perfect.
This would be a possibility to use 'imagination as an aid to vision', as suggested by Bates (<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.iblindness.org/books/perfect-sight-without-glasses/ch14-imagination-aid-vision.php">http://www.iblindness.org/books/perfect ... vision.php</a><!-- m -->).

I think also that imagination is a key here, but maybe it is not the imagination that people usually are aware of or think about.
I think instead that the imagination in question has to do with the inner self awareness and comes out of learning to listen to your nervous system.
For instance it doesn't matter if the details you look at is blurry only if you imagine how normal eyesight feels in your eyes.
If you cannot imagine this then you have to use the Snellen chart were you get more visual feedback instead of just pure inner awareness feedback, else you can look at any details.
This also explains the difference in personalities.
I tried that sort of imagination this afternoon on my bicycle tour.
I told myself, that actually my eyesight is perfect and it is available for me to the extent to which I can open my mind for it and let bad vision habits go.

The result was, that my eyes felt very light and moved a lot more than usual, as if they were dancing and flying over the landscape. The blurry double images were reduced and gave me less trouble; I could more easily concentrate on the clear parts.
Now in the evening, my eyes are less tired and feel good. I think, I'll try to make this a new habit...
If you look at vision problems as just a result of the way you use your eyes, including your state of mind, then it isn't really a mystery why vision can differ in multiple personalities, although that's a very rare condition.

So when you try to draw a difference between "relaxing and training the eyes" and "relax and train our mind", I think you must be misinterpreting what training the eyes is about. The eyes don't exist as a separate independent part that needs to be whipped into shape. They just do exactly what you tell them to do, all the time, every time. If the result is blurry vision, then what you're trying to get them to do is at odds with the way they have to function, and your instructions aren't going to be very clear either.
Site Administrator

"Half of our funny, heathen lives, we are bent double to gather things we have tossed away." - George Meredith
David Wrote:The eyes don't exist as a separate independent part that needs to be whipped into shape. They just do exactly what you tell them to do, all the time, every time. If the result is blurry vision, then what you're trying to get them to do is at odds with the way they have to function, and your instructions aren't going to be very clear either.

This aspect is giving me some trouble lately - the more I train my eyes and the more I am aware of the seeing process, I feel, that the direction and control of the mind over the eyes feels more and more unnatural and restrictive.
Maybe this is the reason, why my eyes felt so light - the weight of the direction and control and the expectation to bring good results had been taken off and I could simply enjoy what I saw.

I think, I'll need a lot more 'seeing practice' to find the balance between 'giving instructions' and 'giving liberty', trusting in the natural capacities of my visual system.
Nini, maybe this will help -- it's the way I'm looking at (!) this issue. I grew up in a very restrictive over-controlled environment, and am used to following the rules, whatever they are, but not necessarily liking it. I'm now seeing my visual system not as as disobedient child that has to be whipped into shape, and do everything right (whatever that is) or else get punished with the dreaded Big Blur. Instead I'm seeing it as a curious energetic very bright child that just needs a little bit of direction! (I need to learn to look for details rather than trying to see everything at once, for example.) My eyes and brain need to be taught how to see naturally again, but I don't have to make them do it or force them! See (!) the difference? Hope this helps.
Thanks for the answer, Nancy.
This is my special problem, that I have the tendency to set myself under pressure by exaggerated self-control and very high expectations of success, not only concerning eye-training...
Nini, you are not alone! See my blog post today. Just because this is the way you've been up to now doesn't mean you have to stay that way -- you have choices and power now you didn't have as a kid.

TEST YOUR VISION AT HOME!
- Free Eye Chart PDFs

• 20 ft, 10 ft, and Near Vision Charts
  • Letters Calibrated to Correct Printed Size
Download Now