MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
-0.25 Dioptre success!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
-0.25 Dioptre success!
I have had myopia for 10 years now, got it at the age of 11, same story, got glasses, vision deteriorated every year all the way to -2.75 left, -2.50 right.

Started vision improvement exercises a year ago, inconsistently though. I'd say i did maybe 2 or 3 months of net exercises. From what i have read and seen, both relaxation and eye stretching exercises need to be incorporated for better vision. So from only a few months of exercises, I went for an eye exam and my new and improved prescription was Left -2.50, right stayed the same but the cylinder decreased from 0.75, to 0.25. I'm not sure what exactly that means but it seems like its an improvement!

Anyway im continuing to use my glasses as least as possible, i usually have them off at home, and only wear it when i have to drive. Yea it gives me problems at times interacting with people but eventually i wont have to deal with it when my vision becomes perfect! Smile I noticed it requires a life style change, im trying to minimize unnecessary computer work! (facebook,youtube, surfing)

I truly believe i can get my vision back, i wasnt born this way. I lived 11 years of my childhood with perfect vision and I can surely enjoy that again!

I hate glasses, they make me look older, and geeky. I love sports, and I'd rather prefer the natural look of the face rather than carrying these pieces of plastic on your face all day!

So I basically stretch my eyes, do palming, and do peripheral vision exercises. So basically a mix of teachings of Dr. Bates, Dr. leo angart, and Dr. Meir Schnider.

Good luck, ill keep informing you about improvements!
Good on ya.

I know how you feel I feel like my eyesight has been robbed from me. Myopia is so very unnatural... I realize now. Even Long sight is more of a natural deterioration of eye sight.

Cilary muscles relax at long distance.
Cilary muscles contract at short distances.

Who would of your eyes cannot relax..... It's like saying tense your biceps all day...

Keep going your eyesight will get better.
lucky001 Wrote:So I basically stretch my eyes, do palming, and do peripheral vision exercises. So basically a mix of teachings of Dr. Bates, Dr. leo angart, and Dr. Meir Schnider

I know of no peripheral vision exercises, from what I know we shouldn't even be thinking about our peripheral vision
Bates said to focus on a small area in the center of your vision which will be the clearest, while remaining aware of the periphery which will be less clear. Glasses encourage you to see a large area all equally clear, NOT the way the human eye is supposed to work. They also train people to develop tunnel vision by not moving their eyes much, since the strongest correction is only in the center of the lens. You've got to unlearn these bad habits as you improve your vision. Notice how people with glasses have little peripheral awareness and are often surprised by someone "appearing out of nowhere", because they weren't looking.

Just easily looking at something straight ahead, while wiggling your fingers at the sides of your face to see how far out you can notice them, is "peripheral vision exercise" -- Meir Schneider teaches this.
I agree with Shambles. I don’t know why some teachers emphasize those strange peripheral exercises. Sometimes I think it’s is just to have a different method, their 'signature'. I have been afraid to speak up about it because Meir S. did cure his blindness so I figure he might know something I don’t. Maybe it’s a way that helped him see when he was very blind and he still uses it, includes it. I don’t know, but I do know I and my students don’t use, need it.

Using, improving the central vision is Dr. Bates Method and when you practice central-fixation with shifting; the clarity of the entire visual field improves. Always the central field will be clearest even when the vision is better than 20/20.

To lucky001; read David’s articles. His method really works.

cylinder-is that astigmatism? I always forget since I don’t wear glasses.
If you have astigmatism and the eyeglass lens contains astigmatism, that prescription can lock the astigmatism in the eyes, and increase it, but it seems that your practice of Bates Method has overcome this! If you can (safely for driving, work...) ask the doctor to remove the astigmatism correction. You can use the Bates Method to remove the astigmatism and the astigmatism chart on my free book on Google; http://books.google.com/books?id=pbAMlxs...&q&f=false

Search through the whole chapter for the Astigmatism tracing, shifting and swings along the lines. Practice with the charta at a variety of distances.
Also see YouTube;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6YLe-Wgp...el&list=UL
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUF02OdGFCg

Sorry about the scratchy sound.

Clark
I agree with Meir Schnider on how peripheral exercises reduce strain on the central focus point of our eyes. Even if thats not true, peripheral exercises surely feel really relaxing, i suggest you try

I think one of the biggest factors for recovery is to get weaker glasses, believe it or not since a year when i started these exercises, i threw the glasses that fit my prescription and got weaker ones. Living in Canada the optical stores have a strict policy, they need the prescription in order to make glasses, hence when i went to Dubai for a trip, I got a pair of -1.25 on both. This practice will ensure that your vision doesnt deteriorate...And even when i wear glasses, i dont get a headache, nor to my eyes feel really stressed because my glasses are weak, and i can see however much i need to see, clearly.. (i wont be able to tell a person's face on top of a mountain miles away, but then again i dont need that much a precise vision!)

Anyway we just have to remember the more effort we'l put in, the better results we will get. Mier Schinder used to palm for atleast 12 hours a day, he had an obsession with it hence he got miraculous results (he cured his blindness)! That means we have to put in a lot of effort, and surely we will see results!

To nancy: I've been reading your blogs, thanks a lot for sharing so many of your experiences with us. Can you share your results so far with your vision, how much have you improved? I'm just searching for some more motivation to continue through, hope you dont mind
lucky001, I'm glad my blog posts are helpful to you. I write about what would have been helpful to me years ago when I began improving my vision. Since I started so deeply contracted (-10), I figure most of my struggles and triumphs along the way will also relate to someone whose initial limited vision was still way better than mine. My signature line is the "sound bite" -- I wore -10 hard contacts with -1.75 cylinder nonstop except for sleep for decades. I now don't wear glasses at all, and have several pairs in the car of different strengths, since my driver's license still says I need the correction to be legal. Most times during the day I can see well enough to drive with no glasses and minimal anxiety, easily practicing seeing details in the distance. Sometimes reading signs is a challenge, but it's a good chance to practice being present and aware and let the clarity in. The last time I drove after dark was months ago, when I used -4 glasses, which made things seem overly clear, slightly distorted (I think now I was missing the natural depth), and somehow artificial, glaring, and brittle. Plus as soon as I put them on my face I could feel the anxiety that came with them. Driving easily after dark is my next "edge", as I've always been anxious about it, with any strength of lenses. I am getting more and more comfortable driving in low light now without glasses, so I think I just need to start chipping away at night driving.

Anyway, hope that helps. This work is definitely worth it. It has opened up my life as well as my vision. Let your motivation be that you want to see and experience all the richness of Life. Take care.
It sounds as though your uncorrected vision is much worse than 20/45.
Minus four glasses to drive even if too strong would tell me it is more like 20/300 to 20/400. You should be able to see with no anxiety.
With 20/45 you should be able to drive very comfortably in low light,or night conditions,with no glasses.Something is wrong.
Bifocal, you can't judge Nancy's vision that way.
Even a person with normal vision has reduced vision with less light.

Quote:According to a widely held theory of vision, the rods are responsible for vision under very dim levels of illumination (scotopic vision) and the cones function at higher illumination levels (photopic vision). Photopic vision provides the capability for seeing color and resolving fine detail (20/20 of better), but it functions only in good illumination. Scotopic vision is of poorer quality; it is limited by reduced resolution ( 20/200 or less) and provides the ability to discriminate only between shades of black and white. This limitation can be easily confirmed by noting that, at dusk, the different colors of a flower garden become virtually indistinguishable. However, the scotopic system provides enhanced sensitivity and low detection thresholds under markedly reduced illumination.
( <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.aoa.org/x5352.xml">http://www.aoa.org/x5352.xml</a><!-- m --> )

And short-sighted person - who has the tendency to strain the eyes whenever something is not clear enough - will have much more difficulties to keep a 'cool' mind and relaxed eyes in such a situation.
Perhaps you have read whate Bates says about 'pessimums'; this is a typical 'pessimum situation'.
Nini Wrote:And short-sighted person - who has the tendency to strain the eyes whenever something is not clear enough - will have much more difficulties to keep a 'cool' mind and relaxed eyes in such a situation.
Perhaps you have read whate Bates says about 'pessimums'; this is a typical 'pessimum situation'.

Good point, Nini.
Likewise, one's visual acuity is not reliable evidence of the state of refraction, or vice versa. A person with -4, may have better UNaided visual acuity, than a person with -1.5. And it may vary under the conditions, and distances. Someone with -8, may see better with unaided vision at 10 feet than someone with -2. An optimum to one, may be a pessimism to another. Some people feel very comfortable at night, but in daylight have all sorts of problems, or vice versa. Judging acuity based on refraction, becomes an absurd process, and is the whole reason Bates developed a method for eliminating visual errors.
Nini and Arthur, thanks so much for "defending" me. Bifocal, when I read your post I felt myself shrinking, like a little kid being criticized and yelled at to "Straighten up!" when she had thought she was already doing something right, even though I'm sure you meant well. I posted my acuity in my signature line since I get asked so often, and it's my best guess at an honest average. I'm sure I saw worse than that after I read your note! And I've also seen 20/20 on the eyechart propped up in my front yard in the sun for long (to me) flashes of several seconds.

Nini is right that darkness is a pessimum for me, though it is getting less so. When I wore those -4 glasses to drive after dark last fall, it was the first time driving after dark in many months, and while I knew intellectually I didn't need much correction, I was afraid. I'd worn -5.25 glasses to drive at night several times earlier that year and they'd felt too strong, so I was already considering stepping down. However I never got to try that because I stopped driving at night for the summer with the longer days. I suppose I could have used something weaker than -4 (I also have a -3.25 pair) but I just wanted to get the drive over with and get home where I felt safe. I really did not intend to be misleading. I am trying to be as honest about my visual experience as I can so others can learn from me, and I learn from their feedback. If anyone ever doubted that vision varies with your emotional state, it's not me! I hope this clears up any confusion about what I wrote earlier. Thanks.
Bates says; it's normal for the vision to flucuate. Don't worrry about it. The sight will naturally return to its clearest state.
See this article;

Better Eyesight Magazine - July, 1927
The Imperfect Sight Of The Normal Eye
By W. H. Bates, M.D.

People with normal eyes do not have normal sight all the time. It is only under favorable conditions that vision is continuously good or perfect. Some individuals may have normal sight at twenty feet, but not at a nearer or more distant point. Normal sight at twenty feet does not mean normal sight at ten feet, five feet, or nearer, or at twenty-five feet or further. What may be favorable conditions for one person may not be favorable for everybody or for the same person at different times. Frequently imperfect sight may be found to a greater or lesser degree in cases of squint or strabismus, although the optic nerve, retina, and other parts of the eye may be normal. Such cases are suffering from eyestrain and are cured by relaxation treatment.
The amount blindness produced by an unconscious or conscious strain is very variable. The amount of vision lost may be one-tenth of normal sight, or it may occasionally be six-tenths, nine-tenths. I have found the vision to be lowered to no perception of light, in eyes which had no organic changes in the retina, optic nerve, choroid or other parts of the eyeball. The pupil did not react to light by direct illumination. These cases were all cured by relaxation methods.
The imperfect sight of the normal eye is similar in its manifestations to amblyopia ex anopsia in which no organic changes are present to account for the poor vision. Not all cases of squint have imperfect sight of the eye which turns in or out habitually or continuously. Usually the eye with the poor vision is turned, but there are many exceptions, for example, the eye with good vision may be the one that is turned. Sometimes the vision may alternate and would then be good in the eye that is straight and poor in the eye which turns. After relaxation treatment has improved the sight of both eyes to normal, the eyes may become permanently straight, but it is always true that the patient can produce a relapse by a conscious or an unconscious effort, and as a result, the vision in one or both eyes is always lowered.
Nancy, I did not intend to insult you,but to me the numbers did not jive.
You may not agree with this,but after many years studying vision,my belief is that myopia can be caused be either structural,or functional problems within the eye. There are also three reasons for it.They are either genetic,inate,or functional.
My myopia is functional,and is primarily a muscle problem.For over thirty years I had been prescribed plus glasses,which eventually became bifocals of +2.75 with -1.25 cylinder,and a +2.50 bifocal add. My problem was always blurred distance,after close work.The glasses even as they progressed in strength never really quite solved the problem.In 2006 after trying Bates with little success,I began to experiment.I knew that a hyperopic eye had weak cillary muscles,and a myopic eye they are too strong.I also knew that a plus lens has a sedative effect on these muscles,and a minus has a stimulant effect.I began wearing weak minus lenses to stimulate my weak muscles,and it did work,but left me with a need to wear minus 2.00 glasses now. Bottom line is that I over strengthened these muscles,and induced 3.00 diopters of myopia.I wear the undercorrection of -2.00 full time,but am OK with this as the vision with minus lenses is so much better than the enlarged ,and distorted view through plus lenses.
Now back to you.After reading you here,and on your blog,it appears to me that you have genetic,of inate myopia.With your age of onset,and the point that your prescription reached.Folks with this type of myopia can not attain 20/20 vision,or sometime even close without glasses,because of the laws of physics dealing with optics due to an eye that is too long,and or muscles that are too strong. I do commend you on your progress of getting well below your minus 10.and apparently eliminating the astigmatism.
As we have seen many times over, at this site people seem to make some progress,and then stop,and thereafter only have clear flashes,with no real improvement thereafter.I believe that this is due to the muscles just not able to compensate for the elongated eye.Remember that the myopic eye was too strong to begin with,and the more myopia the stronger those muscles are. They need to be weakened. In my case by wearing minus lenses,I greatly strengthened my muscles,and now they are too strong for my eyeballs length.
Bifocal, if you believe in the theory of the 'inherited too long eyeball' which nothing can be done about, you can forget about Bates.
This is just the wrong hypothesis against which he was fighting and he demonstrated clearly with plenty of evidence, that complete recovery is possible even in cases of reduced vision to almost complete blindness.

If you read some recent studies to the increase of myopia, it will become obvious to you, that the genetic factor can't be very important.
For example the rate of myopia of students in Singapur is over 90% nowadays and even 80% in average for tht 18 years old young men.

Quote:Myopia is on the increase in most places, but in countries such as Singapore it has reached extraordinary levels. There, 80 per cent of 18-year-old male army recruits are myopic, up from 25 per cent just 30 years ago.

Another interesting point:

Quote:Another study found myopia rates of 80 per cent in 14 to 18-year-old boys studying in schools in Israel that emphasise reading religious texts. The rate for boys in state schools was just 30 per cent.

So, you see, even the contents of what you read or study determines the degree of 'damage' it may cause.
The quoted text you find here:
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn6117-lifestyle-causes-myopia-not-genes.html">http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn6 ... genes.html</a><!-- m -->

And another important point:
As Bates demonstrated too, the error of refraction is not a 'fixed' value, but constantly changing.
I myself have a great difference in visial acuity according to the state of relaxation.
When I am under stress, the complete eye-chart is blurry to me, I have difficulties even to recognize the letters of the 20/200 line. When I am relaxed, I can read the 20/25 line, even the beginning and end of the 20/20 line without glasses.
My orininal prescription was -4,5 (Astigmatism -1,5) and -8 (A -0,25) in February 2011.
Bifocal, I wasn't insulted. I thought 2 things: "He just doesn't understand the Bates Method!" (Nini's point), and "He thinks I am being dishonest about my vision results" (which I definitely was not, so I wanted to clear that up).

This may come down to a difference in belief, and I am not trying to convert you, so please don't try to convert me. I believe I can eventually improve my vision to 20/20 or better, and the methods I am using now like going without glasses and looking for details and resting my eyes when they need it are getting me there. I do not believe my eyeballs are "stuck" in the too-long position, not do I believe any of my muscles are "too strong" and need to be weakened! I think they may be too tense at times, yes, and need to be relaxed more, and may also need more flexibility. I do not believe any lenses, whether plus or minus or cylinder, are a path for me to clearer more healthy vision. Instead I want my eyes and brain to learn how to see clearly without glasses, and I am seeing evidence that that is happening almost every day.

If you're totally convinced of your theories, nothing I say will convince you otherwise. ("Don't confuse me with the facts!") At most you'll dismiss my case as an exception which can't be explained. Meir Schneider was born with infant cataracts, and after 2 failed operations which occluded the lenses of his eyes with scar tissue and let in less than 5% of the light he was supposed to receive, he grew up blind, reading Braille. When he found a Bates teacher at age 18, after he learned to see light and shadow, his visual acuity was over -30, he had so much strain! Now he has a license to drive without lenses in California. Peter Grunwald went from -10 to no lenses and teaching his Eyebody Method all over the world, and Greg Marsh went from -13.5 to no lenses and being a very successful well-known Bates teacher in Colorado. These are my role models, not the nay-sayers. If you say you can't, or you say you can, you're right. (Henry Ford).

5 TIPS TO IMPROVE YOUR VISION IMMEDIATELY!

Quickly prove to yourself that vision improvement is possible, with this free PDF download.

Download Now