MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
Should I go for Lasik?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Should I go for Lasik?
I have -2.50 myopia in both eyes. I am half blind without glasses. I believed I could regain my eyesight using eye exercises but it didn't work. I am very depressed due to my vision problem. I sometime cry due to my eye condition. I can't even wear contacts. Every time I try to wear them my eyes turn very red. I can't imagine I have to live my whole life with prescription glasses forever.

Should I go for Lasik? I know this site is about natural eyesight remedy but I have tried every eye exercises to regain vision but didn't work at all. I am now totally devastated due to my poor vision. No one in my family has this problem. I feel like a handicap person. This feeling is killing me.
If you get Lasik, you'll need reading glasses. Maybe not right away, but sooner than you would have otherwise (if ever.)

-2.50 is not that bad. Just wear glasses when you need them, and leave them off the rest of the time.
hi Rabbi,
Natural eyesight improvement works in stages, perhaps you were practising what you was not ready for, have you tried imagining pictures or letters in your mind with the eyes closed (palms over eyes). When this becomes easy, try shifting and registering details with these mental pictures, (again with the eyes closed). Maybe for only a minute every hour or so. And then finally doing this with the eyes open in the real world.
My eye doctor says I will never get normal vision back again. He says eye exercises only work in reducing eye strain but not for reducing myopia. Only pseudomyopia can be cured without any surgery. The doctor doesn't recommend surgery. He suggests me to stick with glasses but I am just extremely uncomfortable in glasses. I am really tired of having a weight on my face all the time.

-2.50 is not mild myopia. Its moderate myopia. I wish I had less than -1.00 but I am very unfortunate guy. I have lost my normal vision forever.
On the myopia scale, anything better than -3.00 is mild. In practical terms, if you can comfortably do near-work without glasses, your nearsightedness is fairly mild. Personally, I would be very glad to be at -2.50, but I guess you wouldn't understand that if you haven't had worse vision.

Your doctor is probably wrong that it can't be improved naturally, but he's probably right that surgery isn't a good idea. #1. It would cause you to need reading glasses sooner, and #2. There is always the potential for complications, and with *mild* nearsightedness it isn't worth that risk.
Daniel,

How severe is your myopia? Have you improved your eyesight doing eye exercises?
It's around -8.00. I've gotten "flashes" of much clearer vision, but whether that is real improvement I don't know.
What eye exercises do you do?
All I can say with regards to Lasik is that you should do your research if you really want it. Don't try any "budget" options, and make sure they're using the latest/best equipment. The industry in general doesn't strike me as particularly ethical. I think they're after money and don't particularly care about the welfare of their patients. This might be a generalisation on my part, but that's been my strong impression.
I wonder how much your glasses or "poor" vision is really an actual problem for you, or whether the real problem is your idea that you're defective because you have poor vision and hence it's become a self-esteem issue? The truth is, there's nothing wrong with having glasses. All of us have "defects" of various kinds, not all of them as visable to others or ourselves as glasses. In fact, as far as our present culture goes, wearing glasses is not really a problem at all. If your vision was worsening, or there were some actual negative side effects of wearing glasses, then yes it would be concerning. But you've haven't mentioned these. I feel your problem is not really "poor" vision, but your negative idea about your vison.

Cheers,
JW
johnwayne Wrote:All I can say with regards to Lasik is that you should do your research if you really want it. Don't try any "budget" options, and make sure they're using the latest/best equipment. The industry in general doesn't strike me as particularly ethical. I think they're after money and don't particularly care about the welfare of their patients. This might be a generalisation on my part, but that's been my strong impression.
I wonder how much your glasses or "poor" vision is really an actual problem for you, or whether the real problem is your idea that you're defective because you have poor vision and hence it's become a self-esteem issue? The truth is, there's nothing wrong with having glasses. All of us have "defects" of various kinds, not all of them as visable to others or ourselves as glasses. In fact, as far as our present culture goes, wearing glasses is not really a problem at all. If your vision was worsening, or there were some actual negative side effects of wearing glasses, then yes it would be concerning. But you've haven't mentioned these. I feel your problem is not really "poor" vision, but your negative idea about your vison.

Cheers,
JW

No. not because of my appearance. I just want to reduce my dependency on it. I wear -2.50 glasses but actually I am -3.00 in both eyes with -1.00 astigmatism. I wear under correction in hope to adjust the power as my doctor prescribed me to wear under correction glasses. My power hasn't increased or decreased a bit since I first started wearing glasses at 14. I am 25 now. 11 years of poor vision. I am just very tired of it. Can't even see my food properly without glass. This is very emotionally frustrating. Enough is enough. If doctor can reduce the power to -0.50 I will be happy. We don't know what will happen in future. I will gladly wear 3 inches thick glasses in my 50's but don't want to wear them in my peak years of my like. If Lasik gives me 15 years of good vision I will take it as success.

Btw, should I go for Lasik or Lasek (PRK)? Which is better? I had a pre-lasik exam. My corneal thickness is 560 (left) and 557 (right). No sign of any disease other than short-sightedness. Doctor wants lasik to perform for faster recovery but I am scared of blade cutting my eyes. Should I have PRK?
Hey Rabbi,

Just curious; have you tried any relaxing activities, and have these had a positive effect on your vision? These activities don't have to include eye exercises. Could be anything.
I do not know much about PRK or Lasik, so I can't really give you any more advice about this. Good luck with whatever path you take.

Cheers,
JW

5 TIPS TO IMPROVE YOUR VISION IMMEDIATELY!

Quickly prove to yourself that vision improvement is possible, with this free PDF download.

Download Now