MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
Alexander teacher visualization

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Alexander teacher visualization
Three and four years ago I attended 2 week-long workshops with Peter Grunwald, the founder of Eyebody (http://www.eyebody.com/). His work is based on the Alexander Technique, and expands it to cover vision improvement. You can see my blog posts about the workshops I took if you search. Anyway, one of the women who did the workshop with me is an AT teacher at a university. We've kept in touch, sharing progress and being support for each other. Today she wrote:
Quote:So, what is my recent discovery? If you allow the backs of your eyeballs to rest back into the sockets, the visual system begins to calm down. Then, imagining your head as a room with the eyes as the windows, look out at the world from the CENTER of the headroom, not with your nose pressed against the glass in some variation of anxiety and the startle response as we usually do. this takes some practice, but if i stay with it, blinking as we are told in order to keep the eyeball relaxed, I find that I can begin to see a little more clearly. Probably not something yet that the optometrist could measure, but as I said earlier, I have HOPE! Somehow neither the vision games of Carina Goodrich and others, nor "allowing stories and no-stories to rise to the upper visual cortex" from Peter, have had this remarkable effect. Yet I believe both of them had genuine solutions to offer, even if they didn't work for me directly. Who knows? Maybe what I get from "looking out from the center of the headroom" is exactly what Peter was trying to describe? I guess I just have a need for very concrete, bodily-referrent images! :-)
I've heard the instruction before to "see from the back of your head" but couldn't seem to do that. This imagining my head as a room and seeing from the middle of it makes more sense, to me. So I offer it in case it helps someone else too. Let me know.
More from my wise AT teacher friend in response to a thank-you note from me.
Quote:As for AT, the whole principle is to allow the neck to be free, which was Alexander's first direction. Studies have been done that show that even the slightest bit of anxiety or fear tightens the neck muscles; the greater the startling influence, the more of the body that is affected. But the neck muscles are ALWAYS affected.

I put this together with Carina Goodrich talking about relaxing the neck and shoulders before attempting any of her "games" for better eyesight. I also know that the amygdala (part of the limbic system which is always on the lookout for danger), the pineal and pituitary glands, our optic nerve, the A.O. joint where our head rests on our spine, the sixth chakra (wisdom), and our inner ear structures for balance are all in the general area of the "center of the headroom." Surely that is not a coincidence! In fact, I often use the shorthand "wisdom seat" to describe "looking out from the center of the headroom." I think it is key that we are "looking out" and not inward only. However--and this is a HUGE thing!--if we are looking out from the "wisdom seat," we are present both with ourselves (inside) AND with our environment (outside). This puts us, on a spiritual level, pretty close to what is called "non-dual consciousness" in integral spiritual circles (Ken Wilbur, et al). Non-dual consciousness recognizes the unity behind the seeming separation of objects from each other and from their environment, and this is a goal of spiritually evolving humans.

5 TIPS TO IMPROVE YOUR VISION IMMEDIATELY!

Quickly prove to yourself that vision improvement is possible, with this free PDF download.

Download Now