MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
Why "Imagination Blindness"?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why "Imagination Blindness"?
Dave,

I'm just wondering why you called your website "imagination blindness"?
It was meant to refer to how when people have vision problems their visual imagination is usually impaired too. It's gotten interpreted in a couple other completely different ways that I didn't intend, but that's what I get for making up a term!

Dave
Site Administrator

"Half of our funny, heathen lives, we are bent double to gather things we have tossed away." - George Meredith
Dear David,

I like the term "Imagination blindness", because
I take it as meaning the failure to understand
the preventive second-opinion.

Until we learn to "see" the preventive alternative,
we shall always be victim of the majority opinion.

I see scientific "Imagination" this way:

Imagination is more important that knowledge...knowledge is
limited but imagination circles the world.  To see with one's own
eyes, to feel and judge without succumbing to the suggestive power
of the fashion of the day, to be able to express what one has seen
and felt in a trim sentence or even a cunningly wrought word...is
that not glorious?  When I examine myself and my methods of
thought, I come close to the conclusion that the gift of
imagination has meant more to me than my talent for absorbing
absolute knowledge.

Albert Einstein

THE ESSENCE OF IMAGINATION

What we can easily see is only a small percentage of what is
possible.  Imagination is having the vision to see what is just
below the surface, to picture that which is essential, but
invisible to the eye.

Theories have four stages of acceptance:

i) this is worthless nonsense;

ii) this is an interesting, but perverse, point of view;

iii) this is true, but quite unimportant;

iv) I always said so.

- J.B.S.  Haldane

Others should add their commentary
on this concept.

Best,

Otis
Great quotes there, Otis! I like these ones as well, they have been very inspiring in my NVI progress -

--

“Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we now know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world, and all there ever will be to know and understand.�  - Albert Einstein

--

“Whoever undertakes to set himself up as a judge of Truth and Knowledge is shipwrecked by the laughter of the gods.� -- “Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind.� - Albert Einstein

--

“We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.� - Einstein

--

“Intellectual growth should commence at birth and cease only at death� - Einstein

--

“There are two ways to live: you can live as if nothing is a miracle; you can live as if everything is a miracle.�

--

“In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity.� - Einstein

--

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.� - Einstein

--

“Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning.�

--

“Imagination is everything. It is the preview of life's coming attractions.� - Einstein

--

“The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination.� - Einstein

--

And of course don't forget the one in David's signature!

Wink

The more I think about it, the more I come to realize how much these quotes display precisely what Dr. Bates was getting at all along; So, to finalize, let us heed the words of a true genius: "Of all the discoveries that I have made, there is none of so much practical value as the discovery of the importance of the imagination. "

- William Horatio Bates

And may we ALL be freed from our 'imagination blindness'

TEST YOUR VISION AT HOME!
- Free Eye Chart PDFs

• 20 ft, 10 ft, and Near Vision Charts
  • Letters Calibrated to Correct Printed Size
Download Now