MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
Newbie question?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Newbie question?
So, I've worn glasses most of my life, in the beginning I think I had something like a -2.50 -- or less, can't remember at this point -- in one eye -- no lens in the other -- over the years it's just gotten worse and worse, at this point I'm on -2.5 in one eye(previously -0) and -9 in the other.

Willing to give this eye training thing a shot, but being as I have two different prescriptions which are not remotely close, and one being very severe, how would I even go about this -- given it actually works for me. Would I just have to go through 50 pairs of glasses? Huh

Also any other tips for people with drastic differences between eyes, or other online resources would be appreciated. (Apparently this site had/has a chat room, no clue where it might be though!)
For cheap glasses check out zennioptical.com. So long as you know your pupil distance you can get lenses with any amount of correction you want. You can probably get 20 pairs at Zenni for the price of one at lenscrafters. I bought two pairs myself.

To bring the weak eye up to speed, consider training with an eyepatch.

If you're beginning, this video might help: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDmlNbzTidk
(01-29-2014, 02:37 PM)toki-sama Wrote: For cheap glasses check out zennioptical.com. So long as you know your pupil distance you can get lenses with any amount of correction you want. You can probably get 20 pairs at Zenni for the price of one at lenscrafters. I bought two pairs myself.

To bring the weak eye up to speed, consider training with an eyepatch.

If you're beginning, this video might help: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDmlNbzTidk

Thanks, I checked it out. From what I've seen it's not so much a step by step plan that you follow...everyone just kind of wants you to move around your eyes and relax. Big Grin

Been kind of giving it a test run during downtime, when I roll my eyes I now feel 'strain' at less points in the circle. Not really sure how this is supposed to work though since I'm wearing my glasses 90% of the time, as you suggested I may Just pick up a pair/few pairs at lower power points. What would be a good step-down level where I will still be able to see? +1 to my normal at a time?

On a cynical note, a lot of these people seem religious/spiritual and say 'energy' and talk about imagining things as a way to improve a bit more than I feel comfortable with.
Quote:Thanks, I checked it out. From what I've seen it's not so much a step by step plan that you follow...everyone just kind of wants you to move around your eyes and relax. Big Grin

Yeah, moving your eyes around and relaxing is a great way of putting it. Some people focus more on one than the other, but I think a combination of both is generally necessary for improved sight, depending on the causes of your defective vision.

Quote:Been kind of giving it a test run during downtime, when I roll my eyes I now feel 'strain' at less points in the circle. Not really sure how this is supposed to work though since I'm wearing my glasses 90% of the time, as you suggested I may Just pick up a pair/few pairs at lower power points. What would be a good step-down level where I will still be able to see? +1 to my normal at a time?

I'd say to take off your glasses when practicing, and wear a reduced prescription for when you need to see things. Then, as your vision improves, continue to reduce your prescription as necessary until you're natural vision is around -2.5. Of course, you should make sure to have a pair of glasses that are always corrected for legal driving vision.

Quote:On a cynical note, a lot of these people seem religious/spiritual and say 'energy' and talk about imagining things as a way to improve a bit more than I feel comfortable with.

In this case, I consider the energy work to be a way of helping you to imagine and acknowledge distance and space, which, in my option, is necessary for good vision and helps the eyes to relax. I think our inability to acknowledge that there is space between point A and point B results in our eyes not being able to focus properly. We try to see point B as if it is the same distance from our eyes as point A.

When he says to tap your fingers together, consider that you are acknowledging the space between your fingers. Same for when he says to feel the energy field around your eyes, and has you move your fingers back and forth -- you're acknowledging the space between your fingers and eyes. If you imagine this space consciously, the relaxation it provides may become more apparent.

I think this is why the Bates method of palming seems to have a healing benefit on the eyes. Whether you know it or not, by placing your hands on your face you're acknowledging the space between your hands and eyes, which results in relaxation of the eyes.

Try walking around and instead of noticing objects themselves, notice the space between, around, and inside objects.

There's a great book called "The Open Focus Brain" where I got these ideas from. I'd also recommend the book "Take Off Your Glasses and See"
Really curios if there is a consensus for how 'reduced' you should go at a time? For example, I have an older pair still around that's about -1.75/-7.xx, I think; My current are -2.75/-9.xx, If I put back on the older pair, my -2.75 to -1.75 eye can see fine, but my -9.xx to -7.xx eye can't see more than 2 feet. Based on that I'm thinking that +1ish steps at a time would be the limit of whats feasible.

At the moment my one eye not only requires a higher prescription, but it's also considerably weaker -- from what I can tell -- since I imagine it doesn't get much work with the other, far superior eye doing all the lifting. I've been trying to cover up my one eye to give the weaker eye a chance, but that's really not ideal for me, for anything beyond light reading, as while I can 'see' with my weaker eye It just feels like everything is darker and less focused. (at full prescription)

Was considering picking up a second pair @ -1.5 to -1.75 / -8.xx or just waiting a bit and seeing if my weaker eye strengthens up a bit and can use the 7.xx older pair as a first stepping stone before moving on -- as I'm not sure if I can/should push my weaker eye before it gets back on it's proverbial 'feet'.

On another note I finally found the chat room, it only shows up if I launch IE and seems to be populated very sparsely, and mostly by bots? Wink

Appreciate your responses toki-sama, they have helped give me some direction.
(02-04-2014, 01:52 PM)wtfgod Wrote: Really curios if there is a consensus for how 'reduced' you should go at a time? For example, I have an older pair still around that's about -1.75/-7.xx, I think; My current are -2.75/-9.xx, If I put back on the older pair, my -2.75 to -1.75 eye can see fine, but my -9.xx to -7.xx eye can't see more than 2 feet. Based on that I'm thinking that +1ish steps at a time would be the limit of whats feasible.

At the moment my one eye not only requires a higher prescription, but it's also considerably weaker -- from what I can tell -- since I imagine it doesn't get much work with the other, far superior eye doing all the lifting. I've been trying to cover up my one eye to give the weaker eye a chance, but that's really not ideal for me, for anything beyond light reading, as while I can 'see' with my weaker eye It just feels like everything is darker and less focused. (at full prescription)

Was considering picking up a second pair @ -1.5 to -1.75 / -8.xx or just waiting a bit and seeing if my weaker eye strengthens up a bit and can use the 7.xx older pair as a first stepping stone before moving on -- as I'm not sure if I can/should push my weaker eye before it gets back on it's proverbial 'feet'.

On another note I finally found the chat room, it only shows up if I launch IE and seems to be populated very sparsely, and mostly by bots? Wink

Appreciate your responses toki-sama, they have helped give me some direction.

Hey man, sorry for the untimely response. I'd probably go with correction to -1.5 to -2.5 for the reduced prescription. It's kind of shit, but you can still get around provided you aren't doing anything that requires perfect vision.

Do you have any idea what the cause of your weaker eye is? -9 seems pretty extreme. I'd imagine it's a physical issue so you might benefit greatly from some heavy-duty eye exercises. Check out these videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/AristelPVS?feature=watch. If the muscles of your weaker eye are just seriously atrophied, these exercises might help it to catch up quicker. They're from a book called the "Power Vision System", a book which basically advocates wearing plus lenses to correct myopia. The method is apparently dangerous to the eyes, according to some of the members here, but I've found eye exercises in the book are very helpful for relieving stress and loosening up the eyes. If you find your vision getting a little less clear after exercises, have a look at http://www.powervisionsystem.com/41/The-...-to-do.php.

Also do you know if you have astigmatism? If you're not sure check out http://www.prokerala.com/health/eye-care...m-test.php. All the lines should appear to be the same thickness and boldness. I've discovered that my right/weaker eye is actually weaker because of a vertical astigmatism. If I tilt my head when reading text and I actually see significantly better. If you do have astigmatism, consider practicing with the astigmatism wheel as recommended in that video I posted. I've attached a PDF with one you can print out or view on your computer.

And consider trying Lutein, Bilberry, Eyebright and other eye supplements. Amazon/Iherb.com are great places to buy.

There's a whole lot to vision improvement, and it's easy to get lost, but I think that in reality there are just a few principles necessary for good vision:

1) Attention/Imagination
2) Strong, flexible eye muscles
3) Relaxation

Hope some of this stuff helps!
(02-10-2014, 03:06 PM)toki-sama Wrote: Hey man, sorry for the untimely response. I'd probably go with correction to -1.5 to -2.5 for the reduced prescription. It's kind of shit, but you can still get around provided you aren't doing anything that requires perfect vision.

Not really untimely, I actually did not have access to the internet for a few days and this forum doesn't seem terribly active in the first place so my expectations are not high. Big Grin

(02-10-2014, 03:06 PM)toki-sama Wrote: Do you have any idea what the cause of your weaker eye is? -9 seems pretty extreme. I'd imagine it's a physical issue so you might benefit greatly from some heavy-duty eye exercises. Check out these videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/AristelPVS?feature=watch. If the muscles of your weaker eye are just seriously atrophied, these exercises might help it to catch up quicker. They're from a book called the "Power Vision System", a book which basically advocates wearing plus lenses to correct myopia. The method is apparently dangerous to the eyes, according to some of the members here, but I've found eye exercises in the book are very helpful for relieving stress and loosening up the eyes. If you find your vision getting a little less clear after exercises, have a look at http://www.powervisionsystem.com/41/The-...-to-do.php.

Also do you know if you have astigmatism? If you're not sure check out http://www.prokerala.com/health/eye-care...m-test.php. All the lines should appear to be the same thickness and boldness. I've discovered that my right/weaker eye is actually weaker because of a vertical astigmatism. If I tilt my head when reading text and I actually see significantly better. If you do have astigmatism, consider practicing with the astigmatism wheel as recommended in that video I posted. I've attached a PDF with one you can print out or view on your computer.

And consider trying Lutein, Bilberry, Eyebright and other eye supplements. Amazon/Iherb.com are great places to buy.

There's a whole lot to vision improvement, and it's easy to get lost, but I think that in reality there are just a few principles necessary for good vision:

1) Attention/Imagination
2) Strong, flexible eye muscles
3) Relaxation

Hope some of this stuff helps!

My weaker does have astigmatism, I wasn't sure that mattered at all -- I'm not terribly educated on this topic. I believe there is a history of eye-related issues in my family, I believe an uncle or two had a 'lazy-eye'; Not sure how that would affect anything though.

That one link that checks astigmatism I can't even see unless my nose is pretty much touching the screen. Big Grin ...or Sad

The one eye actually started out worse than the other, I imagine that 'correcting' it earlier didn't exactly help much -- I used to wear only 1 contact when my other eye did not need correction. To me it feels like I'm only using the one eye, when I close my dominant eye my other eye will take a second to 'focus' before I can see clearly -- aside from that I don't think there are any serious issues with my eye. Although when going back and forth there is a decent difference in brightness, not sure if this is due to the thickness difference of the lenses or what but that concerned me mildly.

Since the last post I've continued doing the exercises when I get the chance. When I started It almost hurt -- not really...but kind of -- when doing the 'eye stretches', now I can do full rolls with only minor strain. I also looked into getting 'weaker' glasses online to practice with, do people get glasses with prescribed 'CYL' and 'AXIS' or work towards 0? (Currently at -.5, -1.5 CYL and 5,145 AXIS)

Semi-recently I actually cleaned up my diet quite a bit, I supplement Vitamin A already, and also consume carrots regularly. I'm not sure I would want to supplement with any of the supplements you listed though. I also listened loosely to the PVS book and have watched all those videos and try to practice them... preferably when people are not looking. Big Grin
(02-10-2014, 03:49 PM)wtfgod Wrote: My weaker does have astigmatism, I wasn't sure that mattered at all -- I'm not terribly educated on this topic. I believe there is a history of eye-related issues in my family, I believe an uncle or two had a 'lazy-eye'; Not sure how that would affect anything though.

That one link that checks astigmatism I can't even see unless my nose is pretty much touching the screen. Big Grin ...or Sad

The one eye actually started out worse than the other, I imagine that 'correcting' it earlier didn't exactly help much -- I used to wear only 1 contact when my other eye did not need correction. To me it feels like I'm only using the one eye, when I close my dominant eye my other eye will take a second to 'focus' before I can see clearly -- aside from that I don't think there are any serious issues with my eye. Although when going back and forth there is a decent difference in brightness, not sure if this is due to the thickness difference of the lenses or what but that concerned me mildly.

Since the last post I've continued doing the exercises when I get the chance. When I started It almost hurt -- not really...but kind of -- when doing the 'eye stretches', now I can do full rolls with only minor strain. I also looked into getting 'weaker' glasses online to practice with, do people get glasses with prescribed 'CYL' and 'AXIS' or work towards 0? (Currently at -.5, -1.5 CYL and 5,145 AXIS)

Semi-recently I actually cleaned up my diet quite a bit, I supplement Vitamin A already, and also consume carrots regularly. I'm not sure I would want to supplement with any of the supplements you listed though. I also listened loosely to the PVS book and have watched all those videos and try to practice them... preferably when people are not looking. Big Grin

Leo Angart suggests the Tibetan Wheel is the Industrial-strength method of removing astigmatism. I'd probably work on that for a while and see if it helps.

And my right eye is actually a little similar to yours; the color is slightly different than my left eye. A little more warm.

Regarding the CYL and AXIS, are you saying you have -.5/5deg in one eye and -1.5/145deg in the other? If that's the case, that 145deg of astigmatism might be why your vision is significantly worse in one eye. I think that basically means you can't see either vertical lines nor horizontal lines clear, meaning very blurred vision. I'd say you should do everything within the bates method, but also make sure to focus on astigmatism specifically. Take a look at http://www.cleareyesight.info/, more specifically http://www.cleareyesight.info/id40.html. It's a site run by one of the members of this forum.

And regarding astigmatism correction on glasses, I'd probably roll with 0 so your eyes could have a chance to correct the astigmatism on their own. Though, if you do go that route, and your vision does get better, you should probably get routine eye exams, because while the Spherical correction (-9 for example) can be predictably weakened, your degree and amount of astigmatism my decrease or shift making your current astigmatism correction in your necessary/driving glasses a little off.

I forgot to add it last post, but attached is the Tibetan/astigmatism wheel I was referring to.

Attached Files
.pdf   Tibetan wheel.pdf (Size: 243.83 KB / Downloads: 3)
(02-10-2014, 08:13 PM)toki-sama Wrote: Leo Angart suggests the Tibetan Wheel is the Industrial-strength method of removing astigmatism. I'd probably work on that for a while and see if it helps.

And my right eye is actually a little similar to yours; the color is slightly different than my left eye. A little more warm.

Regarding the CYL and AXIS, are you saying you have -.5/5deg in one eye and -1.5/145deg in the other? If that's the case, that 145deg of astigmatism might be why your vision is significantly worse in one eye. I think that basically means you can't see either vertical lines nor horizontal lines clear, meaning very blurred vision. I'd say you should do everything within the bates method, but also make sure to focus on astigmatism specifically. Take a look at http://www.cleareyesight.info/, more specifically http://www.cleareyesight.info/id40.html. It's a site run by one of the members of this forum.

And regarding astigmatism correction on glasses, I'd probably roll with 0 so your eyes could have a chance to correct the astigmatism on their own. Though, if you do go that route, and your vision does get better, you should probably get routine eye exams, because while the Spherical correction (-9 for example) can be predictably weakened, your degree and amount of astigmatism my decrease or shift making your current astigmatism correction in your necessary/driving glasses a little off.

I forgot to add it last post, but attached is the Tibetan/astigmatism wheel I was referring to.

Bookmarked that stuff, will read up on it tomorrow. Not sure how I will be able to use the wheel you linked though; If I take off my glasses I really can't see more than a few inches.

Appreciate the help!
(02-10-2014, 08:20 PM)wtfgod Wrote:
(02-10-2014, 08:13 PM)toki-sama Wrote: Leo Angart suggests the Tibetan Wheel is the Industrial-strength method of removing astigmatism. I'd probably work on that for a while and see if it helps.

Bookmarked that stuff, will read up on it tomorrow. Not sure how I will be able to use the wheel you linked though; If I take off my glasses I really can't see more than a few inches.

Appreciate the help!

The Tibetan wheel is suppose to be used pretty close to your eyes anyway. I sometimes practice very close so my eyes get a real good stretch
(02-12-2014, 06:27 PM)toki-sama Wrote: The Tibetan wheel is suppose to be used pretty close to your eyes anyway. I sometimes practice very close so my eyes get a real good stretch

I just feel stupid when I'm so close to my monitor that I can see the individual pixels. I think I'll just trace imaginary lines in the air. Big Grin

5 TIPS TO IMPROVE YOUR VISION IMMEDIATELY!

Quickly prove to yourself that vision improvement is possible, with this free PDF download.

Download Now