MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
Mind if I introduce myself here?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mind if I introduce myself here?
Hi. My name is Grayson Peddie and since I've been a member of the AllDeaf.com forum, I've been referred by Spock (who's also in AllDeaf), so I'd like to introduce myself.

I live in Tallahassee, FL and I'm in Tallahassee Community College, doing math, English, and reading. During the time when I was born on November 23, 1982, I was born with blind on my left eye (optic nerve didn't develop) and I do have an acurity of 20/100 to 20/200 on my right eye.

My main goal is to be a game developer, as I love to create my own video games. Smile

I've read Movement for Self-Healing (the book covers eye vision) and I really love the book. However, since I'll be in college most of the time, I don't have time to do eye execises but I can do that during the summer.
Hi GraysonPeddie,

Welcome!

You might want to check out the Better Eyesight magazines. He went over some cases of optic nerve problems, people blind all their lives, who were able to develop their vision a little or a lot.

I don't know much about deafness, but I do know that when I meditate my hearing improves, suggesting that it gets worse with stress. And my sense of smell has developed somewhat as a result of relaxation exercises, from being practically non-existent.

I'm never sure what to say when people say they don't have the time. There's always something else to do, and there's always something that will need to taken out of the daily routine. But if you feel better about waiting until this summer to start improving your vision, then maybe that's best for you.

Dave
Site Administrator

"Half of our funny, heathen lives, we are bent double to gather things we have tossed away." - George Meredith
Well, college comes with homework and study, so I don't think I will find some time to do during my first semister, so I think the best time for me to do this is during the summer, as I don't work and don't have summer school.
Welcome, Grayson!

Glad to see you posted here. You can wait until the summer if you like. I know college requires a lot of study time, and anything new like this requires some time to understand first.

However... once you've learned more about the method, you'll find that it can be used at any given time, even when you're doing homework. There are principles so easy that they require nothing more than to be conscious of them, such as oppositional movement in which you regard things as moving the opposite way when you turn your head. For example, you turn your head right and the TV goes to the left. This also applies to walking forward, when you notice that something is coming towards you.

People who have perfect sight use oppositional movement subconsciously, even if they've never heard of oppositional movement. Imperfect-sighted people do not always use oppositional movement. This was part of Bates' teachings. Another one is 'central fixation' in which you regard one point of an object best at a time. Such as the leg of a chair instead of the whole chair at once. This sharpens visual acuity by taking an interest in details in different things.

The Bates Method teaches you about the following: 

1) healthy eye habits which are exactly the same used by people with perfect sight
2) relaxing the muscular and nerve system to benefit the vision system, including relieving blindness
3) creating mental imprints which drastically improve eyesight, similar to the idea of what many people would call "muscle memory".

Vision is largely a mental process. This understanding has been scientifically proven through things like the retina's image being flipped right way up by the brain shortly after birth, and optical illusions. In a well-known study, 'trick lens' were used on experimental subjects to flip the world upside down, and after only 3 days the brain flipped the world back right way up despite all those years of seeing the world the way we do right now.

The Bates Method requires only two things from you: the knowledge and the motivation in order for it to work. The only apparatus you really need are the world around you and a Snellen eye chart to gauge progress whenever you feel like it. You can use the principles at any given time and location.

Dave is correct about the Better Eyesight magazines. There are about 75 index listings under the index word "Blindness" in that book, and this does not even include the multiple pages under each index listing. There are 3 different pages for atrophy of the optic nerve under "Blindness". However, about 20 listings for atrophy of optic nerve can be found under the index word "Optic nerve: atrophy of". Bates was able to treat patients who had optic nerve atrophy.

Some of the Better Eyesight magazine issues can be looked up at http://www.central-fixation.com/bettereyesight.htm (there are a lot of typos there), but the book with all the information is located at http://www.amazon.com/Better-Eyesight-Co...F8&s=books.

I have the book and I'm glad I got it. It contains much of Dr. Bates' original works, where you can directly read what he had to say about how he helped his patients. I suggest you think about getting it if you have funds to spare. It can help you with understanding what you can do about your blindness, since most of what we discuss around here is related to the sight we already have. I will help you with finding useful information related to your optic nerve blindness whether or not you get the book.

One question though. In this thread you say you have optic atrophy in your left eye. However, you told me in a previous message, "I'm blind on my left eye but my optic nerve didn't develop on my right eye even though I have good vision (like no cataracts, for example)." So is it in the left or right eye that the optic nerve didn't develop?
GraysonPeddie,

Being a college instructor I can understand the feeling of sometimes not having enough time.  However I encourage you to at least try and get started now.  I have been practincing Bates techniques for only about a month. Even though I am currently not very good at constantly and consistently practicing good vision habits I have quickly become aware of eye strain, how my eyes feel, and a much better understanding of how my vision works.  And just with that knowledge I know that when I can get my outside stress factors reduced I already have a good framework for constantly using good vision practices.
Well, I have optic atrophy in my left eye, but I have good vision on my right. Can you cite where I said that?

During spring break, I will do eye exercises and if weather permits, do sunning outside.
It is in the PM you sent me last month (1-17-07) at Alldeaf.com

5 TIPS TO IMPROVE YOUR VISION IMMEDIATELY!

Quickly prove to yourself that vision improvement is possible, with this free PDF download.

Download Now