MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
Double vision

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Double vision
Question 
I am very new to this group have been practicing Bates' and David's methods for a little over a week. I was wondering if anyone has any insight on what has just happened to me? I sat talking on Skype for about an hour all the while with my eyes shut, a brief time palming but mostly just shut and when I opened them I could see better but am now experiencing double vision, epecially with text/screen. The amazing thing is though that I went to look at my eyechart on the wall and at the same distance where I usally look at it I can now actaully see the letter E! Before I would just see the upper and lower lines as a blur. Now I can see the actual details in the letter, including the center bar!

Even though I have a real belief that Bates method works I am still flabbergasted and so thrilled to see better! (My perscription is -4.5/-4.25) and I have only worn my glasses for brief moments at the store to be able to see a couple of items during the past week.

Any idea why I am getting double vision?
Hi, Rose. Smile

I'm glad you have already managed to improve your vision to some extent.

As for the double image - I wouldn't worry much about it simply because imperfect vision does do that kind of things. Usually, it's due to astigmatism or hypermetropia but even myopia can cause it because - the interpretation of impressions on the retina happens in the mind and since the eyes at fault, as Dr. Bates put it don't focus well this interpretation can vary a lot, not only among two different persons but even the same person with imperfect vision can one time see one thing and the other time - something else.

This time you see a double image, next time it can be even triple and some other time under the very same conditions you won't see anything of that - just one image, more or less clear.

These phenomena are illusions of the mind and you can expect to have different kind of strange illusions (untrue colours, wrong size of objects, double images etc) as long as you have imperfect vision. Normal vision also have some illusions but they are of different nature.
(07-03-2015, 12:24 PM)Aureus Wrote: Hi, Rose. Smile

I'm glad you have already managed to improve your vision to some extent.

As for the double image - I wouldn't worry much about it simply because imperfect vision does do that kind of things. Usually, it's due to astigmatism or hypermetropia but even myopia can cause it because - the interpretation of impressions on the retina happens in the mind and since the eyes at fault, as Dr. Bates put it don't focus well this interpretation can vary a lot, not only among two different persons but even the same person with imperfect vision can one time see one thing and the other time - something else.

This time you see a double image, next time it can be even triple and some other time under the very same conditions you won't see anything of that - just one image, more or less clear.

These phenomena are illusions of the mind and you can expect to have different kind of strange illusions (untrue colours, wrong size of objects, double images etc) as long as you have imperfect vision. Normal vision also have some illusions but they are of different nature.

Well said. Don't get too caught up in the imperfections of your vision, revel in the fact that it is a step closer to being restored. Many different sensations and abberations will come up along the way. Just keep asking yourself, what are the things that you need to do to have better vision. (or the things that you should not be doing). The chart is an excellent source of feedback, probably the best. If you see two images, pick one, the better one if possible, and don't stare at it, keep your attention moving all around it, even on the white space around it. You don't have to look directly at a letter to see it perfectly, and in most cases that can cause more strain. Look at the edges, stems, curves, white space immediately adjacent to it or inside letters. Keep blinking lightly and in a relaxed manner, don't try to hold a spot when you blink, think of another spot immediately after.
Closing the eyes can be a very effective technique for temporarily relieving your unconscious strain (because you are not straining to see anything!) Many people have a problem relaxing their mind when they either close them or palm, so don't realize the benefit. Perhaps because you were Skyping, you were not thinking about your eyes, as your mind was engaged on something completely different. That's how it works. Sometimes we have to get our minds off completely off our vision, and Bates often encouraged people to imagine other things, positive memories, scenes, when palming or closing the eyes. It takes no effort to relax, and the less effort we make in trying to relax, and just relax, the more benefit can be realized.

Did you mean for this to be in the Bates forum, and not in the "Off Topic" forum?
Thanks so much guys for your kind words and help. The double vision disappeared quite quickly but it did surprise me.

I wasn't really sure where to put my questions. I realize I should have put it in the Bates Method category.

Since I seem to relax more when I palm and don't focus on my eyes and trying to relax would it be ok to listen to the radio, etc while palming? Do others do that or have experience with doing that?
(07-04-2015, 01:06 PM)Rose Wrote: Thanks so much guys for your kind words and help. The double vision disappeared quite quickly but it did surprise me.

I wasn't really sure where to put my questions. I realize I should have put it in the Bates Method category.

Since I seem to relax more when I palm and don't focus on my eyes and trying to relax would it be ok to listen to the radio, etc while palming? Do others do that or have experience with doing that?

You see? It has disappeared. And just imagine that you started 'working on it'! Smile

It's great that palming works for you. Sure you can listen to the radio. I listen to music quite often when I palm. Just bear in mind that your goal is to relax but don't attempt to relax as it can cause more strain. Relaxation will come on its own. The same can be said for blackness. Don't try to see it - as black is just an indicator of relaxation not the cause of it. It will also come on its own. And don't worry if it doesn't come every time you palm - it happens to all of us. You can always repeat palming a bit later.

The purpose of palming is to rest your mind from the efforts to see and it's own of the methods with the same purpose. Sometimes you can relax when looking at the surface with nothing particular to see (wall, cloudless sky etc).
(07-04-2015, 03:44 PM)Aureus Wrote: It's great that palming works for you. Sure you can listen to the radio. I listen to music quite often when I palm. Just bear in mind that your goal is to relax but don't attempt to relax as it can cause more strain. Relaxation will come on its own. The same can be said for blackness. Don't try to see it - as black is just an indicator of relaxation not the cause of it. It will also come on its own. And don't worry if it doesn't come every time you palm - it happens to all of us. You can always repeat palming a bit later.

The purpose of palming is to rest your mind from the efforts to see and it's own of the methods with the same purpose. Sometimes you can relax when looking at the surface with nothing particular to see (wall, cloudless sky etc).

Thanks for all the positive feedback! I really appreciate it. Glad to know I can do some other things while palming. I will be able to do much more palming if I can be listening to something while I do it, otherwise it is boring and I feel like I have no time to do things other than my mothering duties.

Perfect Sight Without Glasses free download