MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
My story and introduction

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My story and introduction
Hello fellow NVI folks. I've been a silent observer on this site for years, and want to finally say thank you to David and all of you for all the insight and tips over the years. I figure after investing almost a decade doing this, I should finally make myself known and share my story. Apologies for the length, however I wanted to be comprehensive.

The following is a detailed bio of the journey with my vision since the beginning:

At 5 years old I had strabismus surgery for a persistent esophoria in my left eye since birth. Plus lenses and patching of the right eye were tried for several months prior, but unsuccessful.. I didn't require any corrective lenses after that until I was approximately 17-18 at which time I ignorantly started into minus lenses for difficulty with driving at night and seeing the board in school. It progressed from incremental wear to full time, with stronger and stronger prescriptions. Eventually my full time glasses wear continued as I entered into a career in computers which resulted in long hours in front of screens, fully corrected for years. And it didn’t stop at work, since I spent most of my personal time doing the same thing, sitting in front of a computer. I wish I knew then what I know now about the dangers of minus lenses.

The reason I took interest in natural vision methodologies stems back to late 2006. At this time I abruptly experienced an issue while working on the computer where my eyes would not focus properly at or close to near point (< 20"). Quite literally I was looking at the whiteboard at the end of the conference room, looked back down at my computer and all was blurry, suddenly just like that, YIKES!! Taking off the glasses or closing one eye or the other was the only way to see up close. My friend who is my eye Dr. (who I shall keep anonymous) tells me it’s due to excessive turn in my right eye during accommodation, and essentially a fusion problem at the near point. Wearing lenses with full correction for the distance exacerbates this issue. The interesting thing is the problem seems to come and go, and doesn't really correlate to being tired or anything obvious. I suspect there is an anxiety component (since I do have a minor general anxiety disorder that I manage naturally) which triggers and aggravates it. I did experience some deeply troubling personal stuff around that time as well which may have also contributed. I think the fear of that feeling is what triggers it most now. All that said, It’s a very uncomfortable feeling, having to close one eye to focus up close while it’s happening. My eyes maintain perfect alignment in the distance at all times.

Moving forward, my journey into natural vision improvement become more than a curiosity, but more so a mission, even more so an obsession. I have read, and tried almost everything known to NVI since 2006, and have been under corrected and or without any correction since. In addition I have studied everything to do with bates method, optics, and the bio mechanics of the eye, muscles, and everything else related. I have also studied the science astigmatism in depth in an attempt to help rid myself of my most difficult condition. In point form, chronologically this is what programs and methodologies I’ve completed, some of which I keep actively doing:

- Martin Sussman - Program for Better Vision http://www.bettervision.com
o Read book and tried full program for at least 6 months. Exchanged many emails with Martin regarding my near point fusion issue and he had several suggestions involving alternating patching etc.

- Leo Angart - Improve your Eyesight Naturally http://www.vision-training.com/
o Read book and tried program for at least 6 months. Interestingly, I found errors in his first publication of his book regarding astigmatism. He thanked me by giving me a free copy, and some personal advice on using the Tibetan wheel.

- Elizabeth Abraham - Vision Education Center (Toronto, ON) http://visioneducators.com/elizabeth-abraham/
o Had 3 vision coaching sessions one on one and read all her literature and newsletters trying all techniques.

- Mary J. Oliver – Astigmatism circles, spirals, etc. http://cleareyesight-batesmethod.info/id40.html
o Have tried these for years, and still to this day keep at it here and there. Really like her willingness to help, and affliction for the Bates method.

- American Vision Institute Power Vision program (website taken down now)
o Read book and tried program for at least 3 months

- Ortho-K (ortho-keratology) / CRT (corneal refractive therapy) per eye Dr. friend
o I am aware this is not truly an NVI approved practice. However my thinking was that by reshaping the cornea at night, to provide temporary correction may yield some benefit using bates techniques in addition. Since the cornea slowly returns to its normal shape, to me this seemed like dynamic under correction. In other words, as the effects of the ortho-K lens wore off during the day it might perhaps, with proper shifting and relaxing, relax the oblique recti muscles to allow for shorter eyeball length. I have not done ortho-K since 2013now as this technique proved unsuccessful, and ultimately increased strain in the morning with full correction after all night wear.

- John Yee – Ortho-C (ortho culogy) http://www.theeyefix.com/
o Similar idea to ortho-k except the hard lenses are plano, and only worn for very short periods of time while doing exercises. This has been discussed on the iblindness forum many times. I still do this every few days as I believe there is some benefit to this technique, and it does improve my vision for a marginal period of time after being done.

- Ultimeyes - https://ultimeyesvision.com/
o Did this for several months, and you really do see instant improvement after each session. Didn’t find the results too long lasting however, but I still keep using the program from time to time as its great training for shifting and tracking.

- Dr. Arkadiy Davydov - http://www.forbestvision.com/
o Very interesting theories this guy has. He believes that by training convergence and divergence one can reverse near sightedness. I did experience much like ultimeyes, temporary improvement and a good sense of medial retci relaxation. I only di d the divergent exercises due to fear of aggravating the inherent phoria I may have. He will provide you with an application upon request that is tailored to your PD.

- Greg Marsh - http://bettereyesightnow.com/
o Although I’ve never worked directly with this guy, I really like what he has to say. I partake in all his webinars, and find him a very interesting individual.

So now on to the numbers. This is a fully documented history of all my prescriptions I tried while still wearing glasses, and recent readings:

SP CYL AX
Eye Dr. Friend:
Regular: LEFT: -1.75 -0.50 077 RIGHT: -1.25 -2.50 112

Regular(Ferre): LEFT: -1.75 -1.00 077 RIGHT: -0.75 -2.75 115
Computer(D&G): LEFT: -1 -1.00 075 RIGHT: 0.00 -2.50 115

Computer(D&G): LEFT: -2.00 -1.00 076 RIGHT: -1.00 -3.00 113 (add +1.50 to both)

2009 (December)
Training(Ferre): LEFT: -1.75 0 0 RIGHT: -1.00 -2.00 113
Computer(D&G): LEFT: pl RIGHT: +0.75 -2.00 113

Training(DG-NEW): LEFT: -1.25 0 0 RIGHT: -1.25 0 0

2014-06
Auto refractor: LEFT: -1.25 -1.25 75 RIGHT: -0.50 -3.25 115

2015-07
Auto refractor: LEFT: -1.25 -1.50 75 RIGHT: -0.75 -3.50 115

Dr. Rick Thompson:
Regular: LEFT: -1.75 -1.00 78 RIGHT: -1.00 -2.75 115 (add +0.50 to both)

University of Waterloo Binocular Disorder Clinics:
PAL or Computer LEFT: -2.00 -1.25 075 RIGHT: -2.00 -1.75 115 (add +2.00 to both)

So all this said the numbers still tell me that in the better part of a decade I’m still measuring the same if not worse as when I started. I haven’t worn glasses whatsoever for the last 2 years, and although night driving is somewhat scary at times when I have to do it, its not so bad otherwise. Another daily challenge for me is dry eyes at night, and sleeping which seems to return any tension in my eyes by the morning. I’ve tried every suggestion to not tense up at night, but still a struggle for me. Recently I’ve developed a persistent twitch in my lower left eyelid which has lasted for months now. Eye Dr. friend says its due to eye strain as I’m getting older now, so my body isn’t as tolerant to blur as it used to be. My eye dr. friend of course is a skeptic of NVI, but has always supported me and would love to see me succeed. He’s never given me a hard time asking for any under corrected prescription, as seen in my history above.

So now on to the good news. Clear flashes, yes, all the time, daily for the most part, mind you never when I’m in front of that damn auto refractor or the dr.’s eye charts. As most others have said though, my clear flashes tend to only last between blinks. I believe I have learned how to relax my eye muscles quite specifically. No palming, swinging, or what not needed. I can sometimes feel the oblique rectus muscles and believe I have figured out how to at times temporarily release them allowing the eyeballs to round slightly. When I do this my vision improves, pretty much to 20/30-40, at least in the right eye. The left eye seems a bit stickier. Because of the huge amount of astigmatism in the right eye, my left tends to do most of the near work, with reading etc. I do patch here and there making the right eye work while at near point (even though its almost impossible), and the left in the distance. I have become very in tune with the tension in and around my eyes. I’m certain I can feel all the muscles that are out of balance, but still having a career in computers, spending countless hours in front of one to survive definitely does not help my cause.

At this point I’m not sure what to do next? Perhaps some additional one to one training? I’ve literally spent thousands at this point, and still have a firm belief in NVI and Bates’ vision. I’m always open to try new things and I suppose that is main reason I reach out on this forum with my story to invite suggestions from others on the same quest. When I do finally reach my goal and figure this out, I want to teach myself and help re-educate the world one set of tense eyeballs at a time… Smile
(08-07-2015, 07:36 AM)pureharm Wrote: Hello fellow NVI folks. I've been a silent observer on this site for years, and want to finally say thank you to David and all of you for all the insight and tips over the years. I figure after investing almost a decade doing this, I should finally make myself known and share my story. Apologies for the length, however I wanted to be comprehensive.

The following is a detailed bio of the journey with my vision since the beginning:

At 5 years old I had strabismus surgery for a persistent esophoria in my left eye since birth. Plus lenses and patching of the right eye were tried for several months prior, but unsuccessful.. I didn't require any corrective lenses after that until I was approximately 17-18 at which time I ignorantly started into minus lenses for difficulty with driving at night and seeing the board in school. It progressed from incremental wear to full time, with stronger and stronger prescriptions. Eventually my full time glasses wear continued as I entered into a career in computers which resulted in long hours in front of screens, fully corrected for years. And it didn’t stop at work, since I spent most of my personal time doing the same thing, sitting in front of a computer. I wish I knew then what I know now about the dangers of minus lenses.

The reason I took interest in natural vision methodologies stems back to late 2006. At this time I abruptly experienced an issue while working on the computer where my eyes would not focus properly at or close to near point (< 20"). Quite literally I was looking at the whiteboard at the end of the conference room, looked back down at my computer and all was blurry, suddenly just like that, YIKES!! Taking off the glasses or closing one eye or the other was the only way to see up close. My friend who is my eye Dr. (who I shall keep anonymous) tells me it’s due to excessive turn in my right eye during accommodation, and essentially a fusion problem at the near point. Wearing lenses with full correction for the distance exacerbates this issue. The interesting thing is the problem seems to come and go, and doesn't really correlate to being tired or anything obvious. I suspect there is an anxiety component (since I do have a minor general anxiety disorder that I manage naturally) which triggers and aggravates it. I did experience some deeply troubling personal stuff around that time as well which may have also contributed. I think the fear of that feeling is what triggers it most now. All that said, It’s a very uncomfortable feeling, having to close one eye to focus up close while it’s happening. My eyes maintain perfect alignment in the distance at all times.

Moving forward, my journey into natural vision improvement become more than a curiosity, but more so a mission, even more so an obsession. I have read, and tried almost everything known to NVI since 2006, and have been under corrected and or without any correction since. In addition I have studied everything to do with bates method, optics, and the bio mechanics of the eye, muscles, and everything else related. I have also studied the science astigmatism in depth in an attempt to help rid myself of my most difficult condition. In point form, chronologically this is what programs and methodologies I’ve completed, some of which I keep actively doing:

- Martin Sussman - Program for Better Vision http://www.bettervision.com
o Read book and tried full program for at least 6 months. Exchanged many emails with Martin regarding my near point fusion issue and he had several suggestions involving alternating patching etc.

- Leo Angart - Improve your Eyesight Naturally http://www.vision-training.com/
o Read book and tried program for at least 6 months. Interestingly, I found errors in his first publication of his book regarding astigmatism. He thanked me by giving me a free copy, and some personal advice on using the Tibetan wheel.

- Elizabeth Abraham - Vision Education Center (Toronto, ON) http://visioneducators.com/elizabeth-abraham/
o Had 3 vision coaching sessions one on one and read all her literature and newsletters trying all techniques.

- Mary J. Oliver – Astigmatism circles, spirals, etc. http://cleareyesight-batesmethod.info/id40.html
o Have tried these for years, and still to this day keep at it here and there. Really like her willingness to help, and affliction for the Bates method.

- American Vision Institute Power Vision program (website taken down now)
o Read book and tried program for at least 3 months

- Ortho-K (ortho-keratology) / CRT (corneal refractive therapy) per eye Dr. friend
o I am aware this is not truly an NVI approved practice. However my thinking was that by reshaping the cornea at night, to provide temporary correction may yield some benefit using bates techniques in addition. Since the cornea slowly returns to its normal shape, to me this seemed like dynamic under correction. In other words, as the effects of the ortho-K lens wore off during the day it might perhaps, with proper shifting and relaxing, relax the oblique recti muscles to allow for shorter eyeball length. I have not done ortho-K since 2013now as this technique proved unsuccessful, and ultimately increased strain in the morning with full correction after all night wear.

- John Yee – Ortho-C (ortho culogy) http://www.theeyefix.com/
o Similar idea to ortho-k except the hard lenses are plano, and only worn for very short periods of time while doing exercises. This has been discussed on the iblindness forum many times. I still do this every few days as I believe there is some benefit to this technique, and it does improve my vision for a marginal period of time after being done.

- Ultimeyes - https://ultimeyesvision.com/
o Did this for several months, and you really do see instant improvement after each session. Didn’t find the results too long lasting however, but I still keep using the program from time to time as its great training for shifting and tracking.

- Dr. Arkadiy Davydov - http://www.forbestvision.com/
o Very interesting theories this guy has. He believes that by training convergence and divergence one can reverse near sightedness. I did experience much like ultimeyes, temporary improvement and a good sense of medial retci relaxation. I only di d the divergent exercises due to fear of aggravating the inherent phoria I may have. He will provide you with an application upon request that is tailored to your PD.

- Greg Marsh - http://bettereyesightnow.com/
o Although I’ve never worked directly with this guy, I really like what he has to say. I partake in all his webinars, and find him a very interesting individual.

So now on to the numbers. This is a fully documented history of all my prescriptions I tried while still wearing glasses, and recent readings:

SP CYL AX
Eye Dr. Friend:
Regular: LEFT: -1.75 -0.50 077 RIGHT: -1.25 -2.50 112

Regular(Ferre): LEFT: -1.75 -1.00 077 RIGHT: -0.75 -2.75 115
Computer(D&G): LEFT: -1 -1.00 075 RIGHT: 0.00 -2.50 115

Computer(D&G): LEFT: -2.00 -1.00 076 RIGHT: -1.00 -3.00 113 (add +1.50 to both)

2009 (December)
Training(Ferre): LEFT: -1.75 0 0 RIGHT: -1.00 -2.00 113
Computer(D&G): LEFT: pl RIGHT: +0.75 -2.00 113

Training(DG-NEW): LEFT: -1.25 0 0 RIGHT: -1.25 0 0

2014-06
Auto refractor: LEFT: -1.25 -1.25 75 RIGHT: -0.50 -3.25 115

2015-07
Auto refractor: LEFT: -1.25 -1.50 75 RIGHT: -0.75 -3.50 115

Dr. Rick Thompson:
Regular: LEFT: -1.75 -1.00 78 RIGHT: -1.00 -2.75 115 (add +0.50 to both)

University of Waterloo Binocular Disorder Clinics:
PAL or Computer LEFT: -2.00 -1.25 075 RIGHT: -2.00 -1.75 115 (add +2.00 to both)

So all this said the numbers still tell me that in the better part of a decade I’m still measuring the same if not worse as when I started. I haven’t worn glasses whatsoever for the last 2 years, and although night driving is somewhat scary at times when I have to do it, its not so bad otherwise. Another daily challenge for me is dry eyes at night, and sleeping which seems to return any tension in my eyes by the morning. I’ve tried every suggestion to not tense up at night, but still a struggle for me. Recently I’ve developed a persistent twitch in my lower left eyelid which has lasted for months now. Eye Dr. friend says its due to eye strain as I’m getting older now, so my body isn’t as tolerant to blur as it used to be. My eye dr. friend of course is a skeptic of NVI, but has always supported me and would love to see me succeed. He’s never given me a hard time asking for any under corrected prescription, as seen in my history above.

So now on to the good news. Clear flashes, yes, all the time, daily for the most part, mind you never when I’m in front of that damn auto refractor or the dr.’s eye charts. As most others have said though, my clear flashes tend to only last between blinks. I believe I have learned how to relax my eye muscles quite specifically. No palming, swinging, or what not needed. I can sometimes feel the oblique rectus muscles and believe I have figured out how to at times temporarily release them allowing the eyeballs to round slightly. When I do this my vision improves, pretty much to 20/30-40, at least in the right eye. The left eye seems a bit stickier. Because of the huge amount of astigmatism in the right eye, my left tends to do most of the near work, with reading etc. I do patch here and there making the right eye work while at near point (even though its almost impossible), and the left in the distance. I have become very in tune with the tension in and around my eyes. I’m certain I can feel all the muscles that are out of balance, but still having a career in computers, spending countless hours in front of one to survive definitely does not help my cause.

At this point I’m not sure what to do next? Perhaps some additional one to one training? I’ve literally spent thousands at this point, and still have a firm belief in NVI and Bates’ vision. I’m always open to try new things and I suppose that is main reason I reach out on this forum with my story to invite suggestions from others on the same quest. When I do finally reach my goal and figure this out, I want to teach myself and help re-educate the world one set of tense eyeballs at a time… Smile

Wow! Thanks for all the detail, and I admire your persistence and thoroughness. If you've been here for a while you probably know my story. The piece I see you may be not focusing on enough is managing your anxiety as actively as you're managing your eye muscles. Did you see David's recent post on visualization? Something like regular meditation, or an energy modality like EFT, could be a big help to you. This is where my own focus is now, as much as on Bates techniques. My eyes and vision are a barometer to me of how tense I am, or not. Treating that end symptom is of less benefit to me than treating the cause. Send me a PM if you'd like to explore this more, and thanks so much for posting!
Thanks for your reply Nancy. I do agree with you that the psychological issues are likely the underlying cause of the strain, and need to be addressed. I have managed to get control of the panic for the most part, however my mind is still always churning and sleeping is rarely consistent. Greg Marsh also suggested EFT and I have done some research into what it is and how its done. I haven't applied any effort to doing it however, so it may be worth a try. Is this something you have tried and are familiar with?
(08-10-2015, 06:31 AM)pureharm Wrote: Thanks for your reply Nancy. I do agree with you that the psychological issues are likely the underlying cause of the strain, and need to be addressed. I have managed to get control of the panic for the most part, however my mind is still always churning and sleeping is rarely consistent. Greg Marsh also suggested EFT and I have done some research into what it is and how its done. I haven't applied any effort to doing it however, so it may be worth a try. Is this something you have tried and are familiar with?

Yes, I use this regularly for myself, and with clients, whether they have challenges with vision or not. I've been actively studying it for years, training mostly with Carol Look the world-famous EFT Master, who coincidentally will have a private session with me later today. Some people who know me well have said with all the dream work and energy medicine work I've done (and am still doing) for over 10 years now, they've seen the biggest improvement in my formerly anxious attitude in the past 2 or 3 years since I started an EFT coaching program.

EFT is not for everyone, but it has helped me enormously. Here's a bit about it from my website: http://nancylneff.com/about_EFT.htm

You can contact me from the website, or send me a PM here if you'd like to work with me privately, which would be my honor. Take care.

Perfect Sight Without Glasses free download