MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
Worried about my eyes!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Worried about my eyes!
Hi there.

I hope this is in the right section! If not, my apologies!

I found this site after someone answered one of my questions on yahoo answers and told me to check it out.

The reason I am looking on the internet for eye problems etc is because I am worried about my eyesight!

I am short sighted and after visiting the opticians last week, was told that my vision has deteriorated again. Its now -5.25 in my left eye, and -4.75 in my right. Now this to me, is bad enough and I don't want it  to get worse!!

How worse can it go, and will i eventually just go blind?!?? Thats one of the things that is worrying me so if anyone can help!!?

My job involves computers and i work with them for most of the day, but I have started to take more frequent breaks from looking at the screen and trying to look out of the window and focusing on things further away. Should I try and do this without my glasses on, and just use my glasses when looking at the screen?

I'm going to start doing eye exercises every day to see if that can help, ideally i'd want to improve my vision, but I suppose if i had to, i would settle with it staying how it is and not getting any worse.

Any comments or answers would be much appreciated!!

Thanks in advance,

Craig
Dear Craig,

Subject:  How much worse can it get?

Craig>  I am short sighted and after visiting the opticians last week, was told that my vision has deteriorated again. Its now -5.25 in my left eye, and -4.75 in my right. Now this to me, is bad enough and I don't want it  to get worse!!

Otis>  Predicting your eye's response is not easy.  It depends
on when you start wearing that minus, and the amount
of time you have been wearing it.

Otis>  In school, the eye goes down at a rate of -1/2 diopter per year, and
in college about -1/3 diopter per year.

Otis>  But if you are beyond college, then your vision will stablize (probably)
about where you are now.  Unless your profession requires long-term
near work.  Then the probabibility is that it will continue down, particularly
if you wear a minus lens while doing near work.

Otis>  I would suggest reading more on David's site for the Bates
method of vision clearing.

Just one man's opinion

Otis
Thanks for the response otis.

I have only just had this new prescription. my last eye test was 2 years ago and each eye has gone -0.50 worse. I asked the Optician if this was anything to worry about and she said no, not at my age. Is this true?

My profession does involve computer work as i mentioned, am i best to sit as far back as i can, or am i best to try and do it without my glasses on and just sit close to the screen?

But even if i do carry on wearing my glasses whilst doing the eye exercises, will this mean that they will stay the same?

One more thing, how do i work out what my prescription is in the format 20/xxx? i've only ever known the -4.75 and -5.25 numbers?

Many thanks,

Craig
Dear Craig,

As you guessed -- I went though the same process
you went through.  And I am pissed about it -- because
the epidemiologist COULD HAVE BEEN OPEN ABOUT
THESE ISSUES.

Hell I am smart.  I can "take" the truth.  But it never
plays out that  way.

When I was 6 years old, that same ophthalmologist
told my parents that "...Otis will be myopic", and
at that time I had 20/20 vision.

How could he predict that result?

Simple!  My refractive STATE measured at zero diopters.

Kids who start READING at that time start DOWN
at -1/2 diopter per year -- if NO PREVENTIVE ACTIONS
(i.e., BATES) are taken at that time.

The result is that after 10 years, by refractive STATE
was -5 diopters. 

Thanks to the disregard the possibility of prevention -- IF
I RECEIVED BATES INFORMATION WHEN IT COULD
HAVE BEEN EFFECTIVE!!!

So you can say that I am a victim of ignorance -- the
ignorance of people who ONLY want to quick fix
you -- and ignore the known consequences
of that simple (but stupid) act.

Just one man's opinion.

Otis
Craig,

Computer use is one of the few situations where I think a reduced prescription is appropriate. You'll find that with a weaker pair of glasses, you'll see just as clearly as before, you may notice the screen appearing slightly larger because it isn't shrunk so much by the strong glasses, and it may feel easier on your eyes, which is the most important part. So the answer is: If you're going to hunch forward and squint your eyes, don't go without glasses, as it would be more harmful than with.

Take your glasses off when you have the opportunity, and while doing the exercises, and explore what you're able to see.

David
Site Administrator

"Half of our funny, heathen lives, we are bent double to gather things we have tossed away." - George Meredith
Hi craig,
I would say you probably wouldn't go blind.  Some people wear glasses from childhood.  some of those people end up with -10D, but most myopic eyes stop when they reach around -5 or -6D.  However, some other detrimental eye conditions can creep in as a price.  Nonetheless, if you would like to work with the Bates method to solely stop your eyesight deterioration, you can most certainly accomplish that.

Paul
Thanks for the replies everyone, much appreciated.

so i guess i need to get a weaker pair of glasses for computer work. not a problem, but what weakness should i go for, bearing in mind my current is left - -5.25, right -4.75.????

i am going to use all of the methods that i can find on the web to stop the deterioration, but will this also help prevent the associated eye diseases??
An optometrist can give you a prescription for "computer" or "reading distance" glasses, which will just be weaker than your current ones.

I'd recommend using only the methods found on this site, not throughout the net, as you'll just get confused and scattered by the shotgun approach.

Diseases occur because of dis-ease in the body. If you learn to use your eyes correctly, a disease is not likely to occur or stick around.

David
Site Administrator

"Half of our funny, heathen lives, we are bent double to gather things we have tossed away." - George Meredith
I agree with David, that a reduced prescription for the computer (or bifocals to accomplish the same thing) is a good idea, as are eye exercises.

At least as important is frequent rests when doing near work--rest periods where you close your eyes or look out a window at the horizon for five or ten minutes.

Don't be frightened by the mis-use of a statistical average as to what happens to vision during college.  More accurate and complete information can be found here:

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://books.nap.edu/openbook.php?record_id=1420&page=33">http://books.nap.edu/openbook.php?recor ... 20&page=33</a><!-- m -->

Many myopes became more myopic.
Many myopes stayed the same.
Some myopes became LESS myopic.

Failing to understand who falls into which group and why, and then attempting to identify which group YOU might be in is to miss the concept of biology entirely.

Good visual hygiene (easily Googled) and frequent rest are your friends.  Appropriate correction for your eyes at the working distance is your friend, too.

TEST YOUR VISION AT HOME!
- Free Eye Chart PDFs

• 20 ft, 10 ft, and Near Vision Charts
  • Letters Calibrated to Correct Printed Size
Download Now