MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
Blinking

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Blinking
I notice that a lot of people with myopia tend to blink really sluggishly and forcefully. They take their upper eyelid and try to recruit all the muscles around their eyes to smash their eyelids together. For those with myopia, what this does is make vision temporarily clearer, perhaps due to pressure temporarily flatting the cornea a little or whatever. Regardless, it can be consistently done, so the physiological explanation of it really isn't important. The important thing to note is that it's an unnatural way of using the eyes that just makes the eyes tired and more strained over time. It promotes the idea that a nice big muscular effort is necessary to improve vision, when the very opposite - a cessation of all the unnecessary effort - is what's necessary to improve vision.

The right way to blink has been described as a "butterfly blink", because it's as soft as butterfly wings. Like all things with correct eye use, the right way is exhibited all the time by people with normal vision, and it only has to be relearned when you've adopted a wrong way of doing it. The upper lids don't have to touch the lower. Nothing else except the upper eyelid muscle should be involved. Put your fingers near the outside corner of your eyes, or on your cheeks, or anywhere else around your eyes. You should feel nothing twitch when you blink. It's like taking your whole arm to swing at a paperclip to knock it off the desk when an idle flick of your finger could do the same thing a lot better.

A correct blink is also very fast. An observer might not even notice most of them. Blinking fast like this is often done automatically when you shift from one point to another in your seeing process; you shift and do a quick blink at the same time.

Other comments or questions?

David
Site Administrator

"Half of our funny, heathen lives, we are bent double to gather things we have tossed away." - George Meredith
I think the reason my myopia is bad is because I have OCD(obsessive compulsive disorder), and that causes my eyes to twitch when I'm nervous or sometimes when I'm thinking hard.  I twitched my eyelids a lot when I was younger.

Also, what do you suggest that i do so that my lower eyelid does not twitch when I blink?  You said that I should put my finger on the lower eyelid and see if it twitches and it did.  My blinking habits are ruined by the eye twitches from the years before.
No, don't put your finger on your eyelid. The lower eyelid can twitch too, just not the facial muscles around your eyes.

David
Site Administrator

"Half of our funny, heathen lives, we are bent double to gather things we have tossed away." - George Meredith
I've been reading Better Eyesight Magazine again and just came across where Bates talks about blinking:

"The normal eye when it has normal sight, blinks quite frequently. By blinking is meant closing the eyelids and opening them so quickly that neither the patient nor his observers notice the fact. The moving pictures have shown that in some cases the eyes were closed and opened five times in one second. This is done unconsciously and is rather more than I can do consciously. Blinking is necessary in order to maintain normal vision continuously, because if one consciously prevents blinking the vision for distance or the ability to read fine print are modified. It is interesting to me how blinking, which is so necessary for good vision, has been so universally ignored by the writers of books on diseases of the eyes. Blinking is a rest, it prevents fatigue, and very important, it improves the sight in myopia, and helps to maintain good vision more continuously." - W.H. Bates (Nov. 1923)
Ohhh i get it.  My facial muscles don't twitch when I blink like I do now, so I'm doing it right
Wow, I can't tell you guys how glad I am to finally read a thread like that.

What i noticed about blinking yesterday was when i had my PC on standby it flashed a light every 2 seconds. i tried to catch on to that rhythm with blinking.

Soon i noticed blinking can feel pretty much like nothing in a positive way. I just noticed my vision going black for like a split second when my eyes closed, which i felt was very relaxing.

I hope somebody can share some more knowlodge about blinking, I'm waiting for it.  8)
Yes, "feel pretty much like nothing" is a good sign! When your eyes are relaxed and you blink well, you hardly even feel it.

David
Site Administrator

David Wrote:I notice that a lot of people with myopia tend to blink really sluggishly and forcefully. They take their upper eyelid and try to recruit all the muscles around their eyes to smash their eyelids together. For those with myopia, what this does is make vision temporarily clearer, perhaps due to pressure temporarily flatting the cornea a little or whatever.

A friend of mine got eye muscle surgery for strabismus and also has myopia (for which he wears glasses for). Sometimes we have video chats and I always notice that he blinks in a very awkward way, in precisely the manner you described. Also, something very peculiar happened that almost startled me. At the end of video chats, the window shows a still picture of the last thing captured on their webcam. Well, at the end of a recent video chat, the last picture I saw showed his right eye turned in as if he was looking at his nose! Actually, it was even more turned in than that, but his left eye was perfectly straight. It's the first time I've seen his eye do that.

David Wrote:A correct blink is also very fast. An observer might not even notice most of them.

I have 7 cats and it's really interesting to notice how their eyes move. Most of the time they (especially the kittens) blink so fast that I wonder if I simply imagined that they blinked! And that's when I'm paying attention and observing them closely. It's like the fastest blink I've ever seen!! Maybe that's why it seems like cats hold their eyes open for such a long time yet always seem so relaxed. They probably just blink so fast that you don't even notice.

Jason
Lol 7 cats, that's a lot!  I have no pets in my house.  I think cats and eagles blink really fast so that their eyes are relaxed and are cleared of strain, and that's how they have very good vision.

Kittens are mean, they scratch me a lot.  Good luck with the cat's offspring. Tongue
Otter Wrote:Lol 7 cats, that's a lot!  I have no pets in my house.  I think cats and eagles blink really fast so that their eyes are relaxed and are cleared of strain, and that's how they have very good vision.

Kittens are mean, they scratch me a lot.  Good luck with the cat's offspring. Tongue

Yeah, me and my family are cat lovers. XD

The kittens have so much energy, it's insane. One of my kittens just ran into my room and attacked my back and then flew down the hallway, and all of it happened in like two seconds! XD Oh and they scratch me a lot too, like when we pretend my hand is prey and I let them run after it and attack it, LOL! They are so sweet though, they're the coolest creatures ever.

Have you noticed that both cats and eagles seem to have a third eyelid?! It's really interesting.
It seems like my eyes get dry easier than most of others', so when i try to blink a little, my eyes become uncomfortable and it makes blinking harder for me. What should i do to solve this problem? :-[
I have found blinking relaxing after some try. Sorry to have asked the silly question. :o
No worries, Dick.
Maybe a lot of the dryness and discomfort you're experiencing while doing bates activities is actually just you becoming more aware of the strain and strain related problems with your eyes. I promise you that Bates will only be good for your eye health. If you find something that relieves tension and pain, put plenty of time in and really explore it. Just my unsolicited advice. Wink
I feel fairly strong twitching around my eyes. So that confirms I have a problem with blinking...

...what can I do about it? How can I learn to blink correctly?
hi guys, i m new here.i am learning Bates method for curing myopia of -4.5.
i noticed that sometime while blinking my upper eyelid touches the lower one.
could u plz instruct me ....

Perfect Sight Without Glasses free download