MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
A professional explains then need for "stress relief" at near.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A professional explains then need for "stress relief" at near.
Dr. Bates argued for "stress relief" -- and that has
become the second-opinion in optometry.

The only real issue is "how do I do it".

Here is one opinion on the subject for your interest.

Otis

==========

Baltimore Academy for Behavioral Optometry (BABO) News

-------------------------------------------------

Volume I, Issue 2 April 1997

-------------------------------------------------

A Clinical Analogy for Close Working Distances:

Stress and Stress Relief

Robert Hohendorf, O.D., F.C.O.V.D.

Stress demands change.  I feel it can occur any one of three
ways.  Here is a sample way of explaining a habitual working
distance inside the Harmon distance, its impact on vision, and
treatment options.

"Suppose I put a 25 lb.  (11 kg) sack of flour on your back
behind your shoulders. Would you walk bent over or normal?"

You are looking for the answer "bent over".  If they say,
"normal" then continue to increase the amount of the weight until
they say, "bent over".

"What if I left it on your back for the next six hours and
then took it off.  Wouldn't it feel good to straighten up and
stretch?  That’s easily reversible change!  Now suppose I left
that sack of flour on your back for six months.  When I took it
off would you straighten right up?"

You are looking for the answer "no".  If you need to, keep
making the time with the flour on the back longer and longer until
they say, "no".

"You would probably have to exercise and stretch to regain
your posture.  Maybe even sleep on a board for a few nights.  This
is an example of change with effort!  Suppose we left that weight
on your back for six years?"

For child:  "How much taller will you be in six year?  Do you
think you will grow crooked or straight with that weight on your
back?

"All the bones and all the muscles will be crooked supporting
that extra weight.  This is the third kind of change which is not
easily reversible!  (even with surgery) You have grown crooked and
you have altered the way you do everything because of a weight on
your back."

"The weight is a strain on your back.  Holding things close
to your eyes is a strain on your visual system.  Right now you are
in that easily reversible (or reversible with effort) visual
stage. Here are some things you can do to change your habit of
holding things too close to your eyes."

Visual hygiene, plus lenses, and/or VT can be discussed here
as options.

"Suppose I was a back doctor and you came in complaining of a
back ache and you had that sack of flour on your back. If I was a
good doctor, what would I do?"

Looking for "take that sack off my back" as an answer.

"That’s what these glasses for reading, desk work, and
computers do for your eyes.  They take the strain off, so your
eyes grow up straight and strong.  You can still get all your work
done, probably even better, without your visual symptoms.  These
are (use one of the followingSmile stress relieving, preventive,
protective lenses.

5 TIPS TO IMPROVE YOUR VISION IMMEDIATELY!

Quickly prove to yourself that vision improvement is possible, with this free PDF download.

Download Now