MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
Palming for a whole day - Printable Version
Eyesight Improvement Forum
Palming for a whole day - Printable Version

+- Eyesight Improvement Forum (https://www.iblindness.org/forum)
+-- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.iblindness.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Bates Method (https://www.iblindness.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: Palming for a whole day (/showthread.php?tid=340)

Pages: 1 2

Re: Palming for a whole day - Oleg K. - 04-22-2007

TylerDurden Wrote:Result, everything is slightly clearer but no real changes and I can't read any further down the eye chart. So I guess palming is not much help.

LOL You remind me of an anecdote:
Experimentator's log
Experiment 1. Take a cockroach, tear off one of his legs, ring the bell, the cockroach runs away.
Experiment 2. Take the same cockroach, tear off another leg, ring the bell, the cockroach runs away.
Experiment 6. Take the same cockroach, tear off the sixth leg, ring the bell, the cockroach does't run.
Conclusion: Cockroaches without legs can't hear
Smile

It's ok if you don't understand some of Bates concepts. You will improve the understanding as you practice more. However you should get rid of impatience and anger, because your success much depends on your attitude. In fact, Bates is about letting your vision go out of your control, and you become an observer of your vision, not a participant. It's hard to explain until you experience it and then you'll realize that Dr. Bates has actually done the best job of describing how to get there.

Be more specific in your questions. Taking a big paragraph from Bates and asking "what tf is that" is not likely to bring you an answer. The best people can do is to begin re-explaining in their own words, but, as I said, it's hard to beat Bates.

Re: Palming for a whole day - Jason - 04-22-2007

This is what I understand about the phenomena you said you didn't understand. I tried to be as simple as I could. Read carefully:

SHIFTING - Your eyeballs move around it their sockets in order to look from one object to another. Bates observed that in eyes with normal sight the eye unconsciously shifts (moves around) very frequently. It is not only done when looking from one object to another but also from one part of an object to another, such as from the top of a letter "O" to the bottom of it. Our eyes need to shift because we cannot see everything all at once.

SWINGING - When the eye with perfect sight shifts, objects seem to move in a direction contrary to its movement. This is called swinging and it is an illusion. As an example, say there are two letters on a piece of paper. One is printed on the left side and the other is printed on the right side. When one looks from the letter on the left to the letter on the right, the whole piece of paper should appear to move to the left. Everything should appear to move like this and it is a very favorable illusion to have. Also, Bates said that mental images can be made to swing.

CENTRAL FIXATION - This is VERY simple. Maybe Bates talks about it so much that he make it seem more complicated. But central fixation means seeing one thing best at a time. Obviously this is done with the center of our vision. Observe that you cannot see things in your peripheral vision as well as if you were looking right at them. It's not that your peripheral field is blurry, it's just that you're not paying much attention to it compared to things you're looking at directly. In normal vision, the point of fixation is very small. In eyes with blurry vision, the point of fixation is much bigger. So the smaller the central fixation, the better the sight. People with imperfect sight are unconsciously trying to see too much all at once, and this blurs up everything.

HALOS - Since you are a myope, it will be easier to notice this when looking close-up. Look at black text on white paper. If you can see it perfectly, then the white inside and directly around the letters appear more white than the white in the margins. For example, if you see perfectly a black letter "O" on a piece of white paper, the white inside the "O" (the part enclosed) should appear brighter than the white paper outside of it.

According to Bates, if your mind is perfectly relaxed, you should be able to remember perfectly any phenomenon of the senses. When remembering black, don't worry about your imagined periphery field. And surely don't make any sort of effort to recall or imagine it; it should come on its own. Also, always make sure you don't "stare" at something imagined; it will probably disappear immediately. Even while your eyes are closed, your eyes literally sketch what you imagine you see. Your eyes should be shifting all the time.

Hope this helps you understand.

A good quote from Bates:
"We cannot by any amount of effort make ourselves see, but by learning to control our thoughts we can accomplish that end indirectly" (Perfect Sight Without Glasses, p. 112)

Re: Palming for a whole day - adjustedrace - 04-23-2007

So how do you achieve central fixation on all things. So whenever I'm looking do I just imagine what it should really look like and when I'm reading from a distance and can see part of it imagine what it should really look like from that distance and then eventually I will have perfect vision.