MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
When do you think Bates will be mainstream? - Printable Version
Eyesight Improvement Forum
When do you think Bates will be mainstream? - Printable Version

+- Eyesight Improvement Forum (https://www.iblindness.org/forum)
+-- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.iblindness.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Complementary Methods (https://www.iblindness.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: When do you think Bates will be mainstream? (/showthread.php?tid=113)

When do you think Bates will be mainstream? - Scythe - 06-26-2006

When will Bates get the recognition that he deserves? He is like the scientist Copernicus, who did not get recognized until many decades after his death. However, Bates is not in the mainstream yet, I think it is inevitable that someone with some influence, say a celebrity endorses the method and everyone else will at least take a look at Bates.

Re: When do you think Bates will be mainstream? - David - 06-26-2006

"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." - Schopenhauer

I think what will happen is it'll become popular as somewhat modified in a modern format that may not even make mention of Bates himself. But something generic, not just a particular product like Vision for Life. Maybe a large portion of the eye care institution will adopt it the kind of way some eye doctors have exercises for strabismus. Our society is slowly becoming more holistically oriented, so in the absence of a major world catastrophe I don't think it's possible for the Bates method to be lost.

Dave

Re: When do you think Bates will be mainstream? - Robert - 07-09-2006

Scythe,

There are a lot of reasons people give for why Bates hasn't yet been accepted by the mainstream. I think it is safe to dismiss all conspiracy theories. If you've ever spoken to an eye doctor, they are quite dedicated and serious about their work. They are not suppressing anything, for example, at the behest of eyeglass manufacturers or to make more money.

The best explanation I've found is in a book that doesn't mention Bates at all, called The Structure of Scientific Revolutions by Thomas Kuhn. He notes that Copernicus' theory that the earth goes around the sun wasn't accepted for 100 years after his death.

I thnk the simple answer is that another paradigm held sway, and Bates was at least a century ahead of his time. But we do seem to be moving towards that time to the benefit of everybody.

Re: When do you think Bates will be mainstream? - otis - 07-31-2006

Dear Scythe,

They are not suppressing anything, for example, at the behest of eyeglass manufacturers or to make more money.

Otis> I like BATES.  At least he had the guts to "buck the system".  The only issue is to make this second-opinion EFFECTIVE. 

The best explanation I've found is in a book that doesn't mention Bates at all, called The Structure of Scientific Revolutions by Thomas Kuhn. He notes that Copernicus' theory that the earth goes around the sun wasn't accepted for 100 years after his death.

Otis> That is correct.  A statement of the REASONS WHY a majority-opinion OD uses an excessive minus -- must be spelled out.  Further, the public's reaction to PREVENTIVE advice (and our rejection of it) should be clearly defined.

I thnk the simple answer is that another paradigm held sway, and Bates was at least a century ahead of his time. But we do seem to be moving towards that time to the benefit of everybody.

Otis>  An OD is under pressure to create a quick-fix in 10 minutes.  There is no time for him to discuss any preventive method with you AT ALL.

Otis>  I certainly have my own ideas (paradigm) on prevention -- but as always, few are interested in:

1.  Looking at their Snellen (say 20/70) and

2.  Doing intensive work to clea it to 20/40 or better under
their own control

Best,

Otis