MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
also, feet are designed perfectly! - Printable Version
Eyesight Improvement Forum
also, feet are designed perfectly! - Printable Version

+- Eyesight Improvement Forum (https://www.iblindness.org/forum)
+-- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.iblindness.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Off Topic (https://www.iblindness.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Thread: also, feet are designed perfectly! (/showthread.php?tid=1203)

Pages: 1 2

also, feet are designed perfectly! - otto - 06-03-2009

Author, Christopher mcDougal just released a book called Born To Run. In it he explains how we as a human species were designed to run long distances but the the chronic injuries of runners are mostly the fault of running shoes. He is a barefoot runner that logs hundreds of miles a month. Walking and running in shoes develops improper habits. Check out this article: http://www.popsci.com/entertainment-amp-gaming/article/2009-05/running-barefoot

Re: also, feet are designed perfectly! - Summon-Pretty-Peace - 06-06-2009

That's interesting. I guess if Epimetheus existed he didn't really take all the gifts away from humans. Smile
Now I wish I had worn shoes less from a young age, and made use of this. I can barely walk on the sidewalk barefoot without my feet hurting from pebbles.

Re: also, feet are designed perfectly! - Summon-Pretty-Peace - 06-06-2009

That's interesting. I guess if Epimetheus existed he didn't really take all the gifts away from humans. Smile
Now I wish I had worn shoes less from a young age, and made use of this. I can barely walk on the sidewalk barefoot without my feet hurting from pebbles.

Re: also, feet are designed perfectly! - otto - 06-06-2009

I know. My feet have zero callouses. I want to experiment with running in haurache sandals like the Tarahumara Indians but it's gonna be a process. There is a way to do it that is really good and natural for the body but one has to unlearn the way they have learned to run with shoes. I don't want to injure an already inflamed achilles tendon.

Re: also, feet are designed perfectly! - Nancy - 06-06-2009

Go barefoot in the house as much as possible, or walk around outside where there's grass. Your feet will never want to be caged again! Walk in the sandals before you try to run in them. You can do this -- the body adapts to the stimuli we give it. Oh, be prepared to have to shave the calluses from your feet every month or so, but it's worth it.

Re: also, feet are designed perfectly! - Nancy - 06-06-2009

Otto, you may know this already, but achilles tendinitis often comes from being on your toes too much, like women who wear high heels a lot. Check your shoes to see if the elevated heel throws you forward. Calf stretches, just raising & lowering yourself on the edge of a step, gently, will help a lot with this. People who run landing on their toes instead of mid-foot, or have running shoes with an elevated heel that throws their posture forward so they're on their toes rather than their whole foot, often develop this problem.

Re: also, feet are designed perfectly! - David - 06-17-2009

I ran with some Vibram FiveFingers shoes two days ago, for ten minutes, and I still can't walk properly due to sore calves. They separate your toes and also force you to run like you're running barefoot, hitting the ground with most of the impact on the balls of your feet. I'm looking forward to trying again in a week or so when I think I can run again.

Dave

Re: also, feet are designed perfectly! - otto - 06-18-2009

Ha! I guess you're ahead of me in this, too! Keep us posted on your continuing experience, David.
I'm still rehabing my tendonitis. I get a little 30 sec run in every now and then and it feels great. I can't wait to be fully mended.

Re: also, feet are designed perfectly! - David - 07-02-2009

After a couple more runs I'm still liking them, and I'm quickly getting used to the mechanics. My calves still get sore, forcing me to stop after 15 minutes of jogging/sprinting intervals, but other than that, I think I didn't feel as tired as I am at that point with traditional running shoes, which I think is mentioned on their site.

Dave

Re: also, feet are designed perfectly! - footballman - 07-02-2009

Dave,

Do you mind the appearance of these shoes? Or do you do the running in a secluded area? I wonder if the sore calves is a common problem or not when adjusting to them.

Footballman.

Re: also, feet are designed perfectly! - David - 07-02-2009

Sore calves are to be expected while you build strength. It wasn't a surprise really.

I don't mind the way they look. I run on a treadmill in the fitness center of my complex. You can run on pavement with them. Actually I'm wearing them everywhere now.

Dave

Re: also, feet are designed perfectly! - footballman - 07-30-2009

I think I will have to get some vibram five fingers one day. In the meantime, I suppose the best advice would be to wear the most basic shoes with little cushioning and minimal support. Flat soles would probably be best. This kind of thing really makes me question how we might be wrong about so many other things, and how little we truly know. Only the other day, it was all over the news(in the UK) that organic food was shown to have no health benefits(study done by London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine). Then again, I'm not sure what to believe ???

Re: also, feet are designed perfectly! - Nancy - 07-31-2009

The "organic food has no health benefits" so-called news was big here too in the U.S. They conveniently left out how much less polluted it is with way fewer toxins since it isn't chemically fertilized. People have better blood tests for toxic metals in 2 or 3 days after an organic produce diet, but of course that isn't as sensational. Most "news shows" are about hype & promoting fear (terrorism! economic down turn! swine flu! oh no!), not real content.

About feet, a few Alexander lessons plus the Eyebody workshop have helped me un-crunch my toes. Now my feet feel much more in contact with the ground & my balance is better. Feeling more safe seems to go along with this, which is growing as my vision improves.

Re: also, feet are designed perfectly! - footballman - 07-31-2009

Yea, the news does tend to sensationalise everything. To be honest, I just don't watch the news much and have never been fond of the way it's put across. It's mostly negative as well, and just plays on people's fears, so I prefer to just get a paper and casually skim what's there.

I've been doing posture exercises for a while, and while I saw some improvements at the start, I also notice myself slouching still now and then. When I relax I find that my back straightens very naturally, walking just feels so much easier as well. In order to relax, I tend to think thoughts that are not anxious, but calming and reassuring, like instead of worrying about something, I would say things are working out ok, you've done all you can and now you can put whatever it is out of your mind.

Re: also, feet are designed perfectly! - Nancy - 08-02-2009

Since the Eyebody workshop a month ago I've been in the process of training myself to be present at all times, & to bring myself back when I realize I've slipped off into worrying or straining. More & more I'm trying to get out of the way of my body & the wiser part of my brain, to let them do what is right for me. I'm learning I don't have to over-manage myself ("hold your left big toe like this to walk"), that it actually makes things worse, but it's an old habit.