MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
Definitely a difference in personality. - Printable Version
Eyesight Improvement Forum
Definitely a difference in personality. - Printable Version

+- Eyesight Improvement Forum (https://www.iblindness.org/forum)
+-- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.iblindness.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Bates Method (https://www.iblindness.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: Definitely a difference in personality. (/showthread.php?tid=1239)

Pages: 1 2

Definitely a difference in personality. - Summon-Pretty-Peace - 07-10-2009

I've observed something! People with clear eyesight have a definitely different personality than people with vision problems.

People with normal vision experience their emotions differently. Every day is discrete, distinct. One day might be lonely and depressing, and they would feel it in its purest form until the pressure releases. But people with vision problems sort of liquify their emotions into a blob of diffuse pollution, and have trouble cleaning it up later. Their regret, joy, unity, sorrow, jealousy, everything gets difficult to separate. And then they feel the same stress from day to day, never really thinking about it, until they get numb to it. They even daydream dysfunctionally. Normal-sighted people daydream with precision. If they are inconfident, for example, they would maybe imagine being a valuable member of an organization, and going home with the satisfying feeling of having accomplished something of substance. Then they would imagine something else the next day. But if nearsighted or farsighted people are inconfident, they might constantly fantasize about doing something impressive, and continuously repeat the imaginary event over and over in their minds. And they never even think about the feeling of accomplishment afterwards.

I was thinking about this all morning yesterday and this is all I remember. . . I'll try to remember more.

Re: Definitely a difference in personality. - David - 07-21-2009

Interesting. That sounds kind of like things I've noticed too. It's like imagining yourself as something else other than yourself, instead of something else but still as yourself, and getting stuck in a loop, hitting recurring thoughts over and over that don't serve you. It isn't limited just to people with vision problems, but somehow it's significant in how severely it applies. As far as emotions, with strain they're dulled and too much in control. Whereas otherwise you don't keep them under control but ironically in letting them be complete and uncontrolled you're able to establish separateness from them and not let them be in control of you.

Dave

Re: Definitely a difference in personality. - FlowerPower - 07-21-2009

Summon-Pretty-Peace,

thanks for this. I am agreeing with this thinking, and looking into myself even more. I really do dwell too much on negative thoughts, wheteher someone does something bad to me or to someone else. Or wehn insecure I would have all negative thoughts and be scared constanlty about doing the thing or making decision.
I would just stress that may be a difference with the thoughts processing between short and far -sighted people. I red about this a lot in Janet Goodrich's book, I was even able to find myself and other people with vision porblems in these separate groups. Like what you are describing here is more for shortsighted people. Then for example astigmatics would be trying to be something diferent from what they are at least in some aspects of their life (like the angle of their refraction is)just to please what they think other person what from them. Farsighted people will be more anger but also more open and actepting the real world. This also has something to do with more dominant left or right half of the brain (I am just reading a book about this and trying to apply my knowledge of emotions linked to vision refractions).

This is just my understanding from what I read as a laik, and is very general. But I am noticing some general differences, Janet found that shortsighted are having left side of the brain dominant, and are more shy, fearful, to hard on themselves. Farsighted are more open, loud, she says even this option is healthier.

So, i also wanted to ask do you have a solution for this? If we help ourselves on that side it maybe reflected on sight strait? Like, Dave is pointing not to let these thoughts to control you. And that would be a goal. But then how do you do it. You know that if you tell yourself I must not think those negative thoughts it's still not easy to stop. I know by myself, I like to think again and again "this is what he/she did, how could she do it, and bla-bla" And I know it is exausting, it drains a lot of my energy but it feels like I like it, don't want to stop.
Or maybe use positive affirmations, something positive about yourself or something nice... but seems hard to do. Is it what they call forgiving?

All the best and good luck everyone.

Re: Definitely a difference in personality. - Nancy - 07-22-2009

What you are writing about sounds a lot like Peter Grunwald's work. He describes the over-focused contracted type, usually myopic, as you do personality-wise. He was trained by Janet Goodrich before she died, by the way. He also talks (at his Eyebody workshop) & writes in his book about the "stories & no-stories" which can distract us from being present & in the moment. Stories are, of course, those endless loops of "How could she do that? Doesn't she know how I feel? Etc." while no-stories are the feelings of anxiety or dread or sudden anger, with no obvious "story" behind them. He says to just notice them, letting them rise up & disappear, staying in the present. You can see more on my blog about the workshop; the first post about it is on July 5, but many later posts refer to it, as I'm still integrating the experience.
Nancy

Re: Definitely a difference in personality. - footballman - 07-22-2009

I think myopic people can seem calm one minute, but then all of a sudden they can let out their pent up frustrations and become angry(I've seen this happen). So the point is, the calmness wasn't really genuine. Anyway, I don't want to label all myopics because it might not apply to all. I think once you let your emotions be more involved in your life, it really seems much better and you don't live with regret so much, and your emotions aren't costantly eating away at you. This is what I've gone through by making positive changes to my life - in line with my emotions. It really does help to be genuine and not any sort of programming(such as I must always please others etc) - you won't regret things so much as well. As I made changes to my life, some emotions arised and even though the emotions weren't positive...it was a positive experience just confronting the situations and I felt much better than constantly over-controlling myself. I feel much better without the strains, and when you feel the emotions, it's also a good way to deal with them rather than keep them festering in you.

Summonprettypeace - It's a good sign you notice the differences in traits, it's a good sign of positive change.

Ok now, I just want to mention a video I stumbled upon. It is about introducing the idea of the 3 bodies - physical, mental and emotional. For me, it was interesting, and particularly what she says about the 'mental' mind.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSr-k0yW8kc&feature=channel_page

What she says about the mental mind is that it is not really meant to be used for thinking...it's just for processing. I think what she means by that is the thinking takes place really all by itself...and there's no need for us to consciously add to this thinking that already takes place. This also adds to what Dave has said on here, that not grabbing thoughts leads to better vision, perhaps because you are allowing the mental mind to just process on it's own and when you do this you also might notice your eyes begin to move more spontaneously and vision improves - this is the case with me.

I think it's a nice space to be in as well...when not thinking too much, not being emotions so much either(but still aware of them).

Re: Definitely a difference in personality. - JMartinC4 - 07-25-2009

You may be right as a generality regarding myopics being calm but suddenly explosive. I can see that in myself somewhat, and it can make for some good athleticism. Psychologically I think it's possible that myopia is a condition imposed or learned by children who are eager to please their parents, their older siblings, other older relatives, and other authority figures - but for those authority figures, oftentimes if not most times they would prefer a child that they can control - one who immediately does what they say. I think clear vision actually takes more time than authority figures can afford. And therein may lie the origin of the problem.

footballman Wrote:I think myopic people can seem calm one minute, but then all of a sudden they can let out their pent up frustrations and become angry(I've seen this happen). So the point is, the calmness wasn't really genuine. Anyway, I don't want to label all myopics because it might not apply to all. I think once you let your emotions be more involved in your life, it really seems much better and you don't live with regret so much, and your emotions aren't costantly eating away at you. This is what I've gone through by making positive changes to my life - in line with my emotions. It really does help to be genuine and not any sort of programming(such as I must always please others etc) - you won't regret things so much as well. As I made changes to my life, some emotions arised and even though the emotions weren't positive...it was a positive experience just confronting the situations and I felt much better than constantly over-controlling myself. I feel much better without the strains, and when you feel the emotions, it's also a good way to deal with them rather than keep them festering in you.

Summonprettypeace - It's a good sign you notice the differences in traits, it's a good sign of positive change.

Ok now, I just want to mention a video I stumbled upon. It is about introducing the idea of the 3 bodies - physical, mental and emotional. For me, it was interesting, and particularly what she says about the 'mental' mind.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSr-k0yW8kc&feature=channel_page

What she says about the mental mind is that it is not really meant to be used for thinking...it's just for processing. I think what she means by that is the thinking takes place really all by itself...and there's no need for us to consciously add to this thinking that already takes place. This also adds to what Dave has said on here, that not grabbing thoughts leads to better vision, perhaps because you are allowing the mental mind to just process on it's own and when you do this you also might notice your eyes begin to move more spontaneously and vision improves - this is the case with me.

I think it's a nice space to be in as well...when not thinking too much, not being emotions so much either(but still aware of them).

Re: Definitely a difference in personality. - FlowerPower - 07-30-2009

Thanks everyone for answers, suggestions and sharing yoru thoughts.

I wanted to add this a bit of understanding about left and right sides of the brain which makes more understandable the link between the vision (incl. bad vision) and personalities.

The action for seeing close that includes cross viewing and lengthening of the eye is controled by left side of the brain.
The action of seeing distances that includes parallel viewing and lenghtening of the eye is controled by the right side of the brain.

Now:

Myopees (nearsighted or shortsighted people): can easily make cross viewing but are struggling with parallel viewing to see distances which points they have left side of the brain more dominant and that will be reflected in their personality as well (more focused on details, maths, languages, may be to tough on themselves, not allowing own mistakes and give up of trying when making one first mistakes; always focused on what other people will think about them and need their efforts to be acknowledged and praised)

This comes to the things Summon-Pretty-Peace is talking about and this is the reason I say is more specific to myopees.

Hyperopees, farsighted people: Easily doing paralel viewing as they see distances, but are struggling with cross viewing for seeing close. That points to raight side of the brain being more dominant and the personality points emerging from this are they are more focused on global understanding, including vision they have better periferal vision, are more artistic, intuitive. And are lacking and struggling with what left-side-of-brain-dominant are specific.

==============================================
Something else I noticed (learned) about basic differences between bad and good vision people, and is matching with this topic here:

ERROR-TRYAL

GOOD VISION PEOPLE:
- know it is very normal to make a mistake in seeing.
- when not certain with image they do something to see it again, they TRY, and by blinking and acciommodating and moving their head and seeing from different angles they accept all errored images until they see acteptable enough image (they know it doesn't have to be perfect)
- are guessing (I know by myself I believed I am not allowed to be guessing, I was so shy with my doctors exams and always thought it is wrong to do guessing)
- in mean time can be myopic or hyperopic or atsigmatic but temporarily, until they manage by error-tryal system to accomodate the shape of the eye and get true image of the thing they are trying to see, all in relaxed and active way

And what we are applying in vision is same as our personalities funcion in general.
For us (bad vision people) we think mistake is catastrophie, and in making mistakes we can't forgive ourselves easily. And that's how we are stuck in being focused on bad, we do not try to move on. Instead, we should start trying to shorten the time of our focusing to bad, and move to another thing, something new, TRY to do and think something else, remember the world/life is full of opportunities!

===========================================================

And another thing: GLASSES (incl. Contact lenses)

All the teachers I had a chance to read (and I accept is true), incl and starting with Dr. Bates, say that when you put your glasses on they are forcing your eyes to stay in your strain, not letting you to go into ERROR-TRYAL process.

Now I want to ask you a question: is this affecting back our personalities?

Meaning this: for exampel if you are myopic your minus glasses will be pushing you to stay myopic and have your crossed eyes, muscels strained thus eventually overcharging the left side of the brain, stressing and even developing more the specifics for lef-brain dominant people, in this case you can start be lacking the skill maintained by right side of the brain, like intuition, global viewing of thing, may be affecting concetration and memory, this may be affecting your work, and driving skills and communication skills. Is then maybe too dangerous to be using eyes in this way instead of some more natural way as Dr. Bates and his followers are explaining.

Or at least preventive-wise not rush kids into glasses but teach them good vision habits?

My point here is to ask if there is a link back from eyes and vision to personality?

****************************************************************************************************************************

OK, I had too much now. But these are general topics I am preocupied with in all these Natural Vision application and wanted to share with you. I am practising on myself so can somehow be prrof withess.
Therefore I am really very eager to hear everyone's thoughts and also corrections if you think all this here doesn't make sense for you!

****************************************************************************************************************************

All the best and good luck to everyone!

Re: Definitely a difference in personality. - clarknight - 07-31-2009

Great post Flower Power!
Thomas Quackenbush, Janet Goodrich, and I think Jacob Libermans books have left and right brain hemisphere discussions on this topic.
Practicing the skills of the brain hemisphere that is less active will improve its function, balance the hemispheres, improve brain, eye function and clarity vision at all distances. There are also physical exercises to do this: Long Swing, Infinity (figure eight) swing, Cross Crawl, dexterity-using both left and right hands for certain tasks.
My vision, personality, mental function improved when I started practicing, enjoying Math, something I was never good at.
Glasses also block full spectrum sunlight from entering the eyes. The eyes, left and right hemispheres, glands... need sunlight to maintain normal function of the brain, eyes, entire body.

Re: Definitely a difference in personality. - FlowerPower - 08-02-2009

Thanks, clarknight.

I would ask you something out of curiousity. If you never liked maths, does it mean you have been farsighted person?

My logic here is that maths and detailed thinking is left-side-of-the-brain function. And left-side maintains close viewing.
So if you have been lacking maths skills that means left-side was underused, so you had issues with seeing close, so you were farsighted.

Am I thinking right?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In my case the theory is confirmed. I was(/still am )near-sighted = left side dominant. And I was the best in maths, languagues(grammar/foreign languages), graduated electrical engineering faculty, now am comp. programmer. And psychological side: over concentrating, unsetled, need to be praised, need to please...
Although, I did some tests and am just slightly lef-side-dominanat, but that's dioptry saying as well arouond (-2)

And I think it's easier for you to start learning maths, what do I do to improve my artistic side and imagination...seems so hard?!!!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All this now looks to me very important, we should teach children...

Cheers!

Re: Definitely a difference in personality. - Nancy - 08-03-2009

Flower,
I'm like you, myopic, good at math & languages, introverted, etc. I have forced myself to try to draw pictures, when I'd rather write a 10-page paper than draw a simple cartoon. There's something about not knowing if it's "right" or not -- well, your drawing is right because you made it the way you wanted to! Try singing, maybe when you're alone -- just play with it. The things that are hard & unnatural for you to do are an invitation to stretch your capabilities.

Re: Definitely a difference in personality. - clarknight - 08-03-2009

Good question Flower Power. Was only nearsighted when young. Never good at math then, but did not care, didnt strain to learn it. Always out just parting, in a imaginative world. Had stress at home when young.
I think one thing that improved my left hemisphere, distant vision (distant was unclear in youth) was reading Huxleys book 'The Art of seeing' - Practicing it improved overall brain function and math became easier. The book led me to study Phycho Cybernetics by Maxwell Maltz and then out of body practices by Robert Monroe, visualization, energy control...
Math bacame even better when working as a waitress and enjoyed quickly adding checks 3 different ways to double check correct total. Fun cause good money at that time, positive about math=easier!
Wish I had your brain!!! Theres some intellengent people on this forum!
Always had some art ability but it got better after taking Tom Quackenbushe's class to bring both close and distant vision to better than 20/20 when I was 40.
Close vision was always clear up to age 40, then it was cured in that class.
Doing the math seemed to awaken another part of my brain, other skills.
Maybe the math balanced the hemispheres and that is why the distant vision became much more clear.
Maybe I got this mixed up?
Was it Bates method that improved both hemisphere functions, math, art... then the improved functions further improved the vision?

I can give you two ideas that worked for me when improving creative, art ability:
look at a cloud in the sky.
Notice some clouds look like objects, animals...
Draw a basic picture of the object.
Tape it to a window with sun shining in.
Place another paper over it and trace the old messy picture, improving it.
Then repeat with the newer picture.
With practice you will get the original drawings, neater and neater, then color in, add more things to it.

The book; Drawing with the right side of your brain (I think this is correct title) can help activate your right hemisphere.
Nancy's advice for dance, singing... makes the person use the imagination, emotions, and variety of body movement. Right hemisphere with some left.
Have you tried any of the activities in Quackenbushes book to activate the right hemisphere? Cross Crawl, Infinity Swing, drawing circles... Try cooking, writing, brushig your teeth... with left and right hands. One hand at a time, then both together.
Once the right hemisphere starts to be activated, right hemisphere skills will start to surface.
Having trouble with this typing, keeps skipping, hope this is clear for you.

Clark

Re: Definitely a difference in personality. - Summon-Pretty-Peace - 08-03-2009

Interesting! I've always thought I was right-brained since I'm into things like philosophy and creative writing, but I guess it's something deeper than that? Now I'm comparing myself to when I was a young kid, before I was nearsighted. Nowadays my "creativity" is pretty much limited to obsessive daydreaming. But I used to always invent silly conversations in my head, dance around when no one was looking, stage battles between my right hand and left hand--

I have a theory: I think the difference is that left-brained people can't pull away from their immediate surroundings. Their vision reflects this of course-- anything in the distance loses detail. My "creative" thoughts are always in a tiny space. I tend to be shy and inconfident, so I constantly imagine myself accomplishing something great (and of course, getting praised for it). I can imagine this anywhere, whether I'm on vacation having fun with friends, or at school, or at home. My inconfidence is my immediate surroundings, and I'm totally fixated upon it even when I'm not inconfident at the moment. When I was a young child, all my thoughts related to my current situation, which was always changing. On vacation I would feel excited, so I would imagine happy things. In the doctor's office I would feel nervous, so I would imagine being safe with my stuffed animals to protect me.

Re: Definitely a difference in personality. - Summon-Pretty-Peace - 12-20-2009

FlowerPower Wrote:
Thanks everyone for answers, suggestions and sharing yoru thoughts.

I wanted to add this a bit of understanding about left and right sides of the brain which makes more understandable the link between the vision (incl. bad vision) and personalities.

The action for seeing close that includes cross viewing and lengthening of the eye is controled by left side of the brain.
The action of seeing distances that includes parallel viewing and lenghtening of the eye is controled by the right side of the brain.
Could you tell me where you read all this? I'm interesting in investigating further!

Re: Definitely a difference in personality. - FlowerPower - 12-21-2009

Quote: Summon-Pretty-Peace wrote:

Could you tell me where you read all this? I'm interesting in investigating further!

Initially I learned about the specfic psychological aspects of personality linked to specific vision problem from Janet Goodrich. I had both books "Help Your Child to Perfect Eyesight Without Glasses‎" and "Natural Vision Improvement". She also has a chapter about the two sides of brain working togehter.

But, then I am finding this information in many other vision books I found, I can mention Liberman, then I had refexology book, from Madeleine G. Turgeon, where she also talks about the two sides of brain and the effect on personalities whe one side is being dominant. I then started link that with what I read obout vision problems.She is introducing the concept of acustic (rigt) and visuals (left) people, she is refering to the scientist where she learned this from, I don't remember. I know my Behavioral Optometrist where I took my son in his questionare asks whether chidl is acustic or visual (he is visaul, left side brain dominant) but I wouldn't know before if I haven't read this.

I CAN THANK THIS VISION IMPORVEMENT FOR LOTS OF PRACTICAL KNOWLEDGE I GAINED FOR LIFE.
I THINK THEY SHOULD TEACH THIS IN SCHOOLS!

Then Gotlieb is dealing with this a lot I think, I just read half of his discussion and I remembered this: people with problematic vision have are usually as we already noticed and said here are dwelling on bad emotion or situation, not having a solution. Even Gotlieb noticed those with lower dioptry definitivelly do not have solution for ther problem.

As you said, in every problem one should eventually see him/her self as winner, and see yourself on safe, but I never do, for example. But am working on this....

I hope you are too..!!!

And yes now I ended up with Opne Focus and Les Fehmi. I tried exercises, there is a CD with his book, really relaxes eye, he's got one exercise specifically for vision improvement....

Re: Definitely a difference in personality. - Mrcondo - 12-21-2009

Great Observations! I have horrific vision and I notice that you are spot on! I tend to repeat the same day-dream in my head over and over, until it has been beaten to death. Then I may move onto the next thing, with little satisfaction.

And with the Myopics are introverted, I've found that to also be the case. Whereas Hyperopes tend to be creative-brained. Maybe it could help us all that we should try to either focus more on details, or focus more on creativity. I think I'll take a dancing class now...

Everybody please continue with your research and observations, they are so very excellent!