MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
Three cups Accommodation exercise - Printable Version
Eyesight Improvement Forum
Three cups Accommodation exercise - Printable Version

+- Eyesight Improvement Forum (https://www.iblindness.org/forum)
+-- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.iblindness.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Bates Method (https://www.iblindness.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: Three cups Accommodation exercise (/showthread.php?tid=1251)

Pages: 1 2 3

Re: Three cups Accommodation exercise - clarknight - 08-26-2009

Flower Power
I have been reading more comments on this subject on outlook-insights forum.
It is very interesting. More people saying it works!
The first thing I noticed when doing basic close and far switching back in 1970 was my eye shape changed and eyes felt 'worked out' like muscles improviing. Had distant blur and after exercises my eyes were more round, not lengthened, and yes, front flatter, round, no extreme outward curve. Similiar to what you are reporting?
Maybe this 3cups exercise is good.
I think it is 20 feet and beyond the eye stays round. Probally a little more than 20 feet; 21.
Sinuses clearing is good! I have had dizzyness, impaired eye mmovement when sinus stuffy.
Sinuses are above/in front of the eyes, so movement, shape change of the eyes may also help drain sinuses by releiving pressure from sinuses, activating a massage on sinuses just as clear sinuses improve eye movement, release pressure off eyes.

Re: Three cups Accommodation exercise - FlowerPower - 08-26-2009

Tahnks, clarknight.
that sounds great, you and menty other people noticing this as strong myuscles pumping.
And yes, at the end this 3cups thing is like when you are zooming close-far. It seems to be more agressive, and is more mentally challenging for me.

Just to add explanation about the inner circle. You noticed when you converge your eyes it comes closer, and farther when you diverge. That is because the inner circle is not centered in the outer, but is moved to the outher lines of bigger circle. If we have positioned it towards the middle parts of outer circle then it will be appearing opposite. That's why is called cup, like a cup and a place beneath. But this is just a geometry, and serves to me to produce mental challenge so I can conciously move my eyes.

In regards to synuses I am actually thinking on those bits bellow eyes, including nose, it is clearig my breathing channels, I breathe more easily as all the congestion is disapearing. And what is more, I fell relaxation on the whole area around nose and upper jaw including theeth. I am having a bit of theeth jam, and what I think is all that musculature is relaxing with this exercise and I feel like the teeth are also releaving and comming back to normal. Well, this is more to my imagination, as I really wish I didn't have this tooth coming out, I have complexes about it, but the relaxing of the muscels on the face is really present.
Somehow I think i had this emotion all my life due to wearing glasses, to hold the eyes in slightly crossed position as mypoic to serve the dioptry in my lenses, adn that stiffness is now going away.

Like my eyes are floating freely in the space each time after the exercise.
Like some knots are being untight!!!
What a beauty. I can't wait for my vision to come clear completelly. Do you think the period I have for now is too long, it is now 10 months long in training.

Thanks for all assistance to everyone!

Re: Three cups Accommodation exercise - jmulcahy - 10-23-2009

Has anyone here tried the Hi Squares exercise from Marilyn Roy's Eyerobics? It's much like 3 cups but interesting in that it uses squares. I noticed that I wasn't as good as I thought I was at converging, since any error shows up very strongly with squares. It just took a little practice until I could converge ok with the squares, though, and I am finding it easier to diverge with them than with the cups.

The transparency I had Staples print for me of the 3 cups is helping a lot with divergence by the way.

Re: Three cups Accommodation exercise - Judyb - 10-27-2009

FlowerPower Wrote:
I just wanted to share with you what I noticed is happenning to the vision while doing this exercise.

1. Converging, or cross viewing makes the letters smaller.
2. Diverging or parallel viewing makes letters bigger.
Any comments on this, anyone noticed the same?

This is a common optical illusion due to the cortical brain processing of the retinal image and preservation of object size. The brain knows through experience that when an object moves further away, the retinal image size gets smaller but that the actual object does not change size.

When you need to increase convergence on real objects in the real world it means the object moved closer; when you diverge in the real world, it means the object moved further away. The brain thus expects that convergence will be accompanied by retinal image size increase and that divergence will be accompanied by a retinal image size decrease. If you are looking at an object with a certain amount of convergence, then converge more and the retinal image size does not change (this is exactly what you do with 3 cups) then the brain assumes that the object must have gotten smaller so perceives a smaller image. And vice versa for divergence.

There will be no change in eye length during convergence or divergence, you are only changing where the eyes point, not changing the focus of the eye.

Judy

Re: Three cups Accommodation exercise - Mordant - 10-28-2009

This is actually quite an interesting excercise. I was able to do it pretty much from the word go; it's similar to certain visual practices I've used for trancework & meditation in the past.

Interesting too that it's a similar technique used to see those Magic Eye pictures. I have only ever been able to get those inside out; the picture appears concave rather than convex. When I first saw one I initially got the image by taking my glasses off (cue dramatic chord).

Re: Three cups Accommodation exercise - clarknight - 10-29-2009

I had to stop doing the 3-cups. My eyes started to cross a bit when I am at my desk, waiting for someone to finish talking on phone. When my eyes were doing nothing looking down toward the desk, the desk would become double, like my eyes were diverging at the wrong distance. Never had this before. Now is gone after stopping 3-cups for couple weeks.
Could of also been a bad chiropractic neck adjustment that goofed up my hearing - vision was lower until I found a better doctor. Searching the web and found other people experienced ringing ears, other problems from chiropractic! Bad chiropractor can imapair the vision. Good one can heal it if the neck is out of alignmen from injury. neck disalignment can impair convergence, divergence?

Re: Three cups Accommodation exercise - fabionitto - 10-30-2009

Hello! Ive been doing these exercises too, and I realized I already could converge and diverge for quite some time... but diverging is still a little difficult.

Can someone help on this? Bershak said:

Eventually you will be able to converge and see clearly and also diverge and see clearly, and in this way you will gain voluntary control of the visual process.

Has anyone reached this point? Is he talking about seeing clearly with or with eyewear?
Because with me, without glasses, when I converge I see blurry but when I diverge I see the same or better than normal.
On the other hand, with glasses when converging I see the same or better than normal, and when diverging I see blurry.

Anyone have any experiences on seeing clearly both on convergence and divergence?

Im myopic by the way

Re: Three cups Accommodation exercise - clarknight - 10-30-2009

Central fixation combined with shifting. Swtiching close, middle, far on real objects in the visual field. Practice at all distnces.
As Bershak says:The 3 cups is a way to initially break up tension in eye muscles that are very stiff, frozen from wearing strong glasses many years. I do consider this as possible fact.
The 3 cups gets the muscles unlocked, moving, then regular Bates method completely perfects the eyes function, vision.

Re: Three cups Accommodation exercise - FlowerPower - 11-11-2009

fabionitto Wrote:Hello! Ive been doing these exercises too, and I realized I already could converge and diverge for quite some time... but diverging is still a little difficult.

Can someone help on this? Bershak said:

Eventually you will be able to converge and see clearly and also diverge and see clearly, and in this way you will gain voluntary control of the visual process.

Has anyone reached this point? Is he talking about seeing clearly with or with eyewear?
Im myopic by the way

Hi, I also had some confusion on undertanding this bit. Ho wI understand it now and what I do is this. When I am standing in front of the chart on 6m or 3m, meaning form distance, I pick the line say 20/50 line and I just diverge and converge. The same as when I have book in fornt of me, it is just a bit different feeling when doign it on distance. I do say 10 of these and then I see the same line clearer.
I assume that this is exactly what eyes are doing with normal seeing, they converge a bit, then the brain says "not clear - try diverging" then muscel maybe diverges too much and brain send different command, etc. but this all happens in part of secs and is automatic process. what this exercises of conscious diverging/ converging does is to releave the muscles of strain, wakes them up.
On top of this there is e mental attention doing something, which is also able to be slided on distances. I still don't get it but what I feel is this: I don't diverge enough, but my mental attention doesn't go up to the correct distance - this is emotional I think, as they say you don't wan't to see the world.
This is very interesting for me, I believe scince needs to do more research on this, is very helpful for humanity!!!

And the second question : we do this as all other exercises WITHOUT THE EYEWEAR! I don't understand why would you wear glasses while excercicing?

Cheers!

Re: Three cups Accommodation exercise - seetheleaves - 09-30-2010

FlowerPower, thanks so much for posting this 3 cups Accommodation exercise! Smile

I've been using it to improve my distance vision (myopic, astigmatic, slight convergence) and it is really helping me see more clearly. I saved the image to my desktop and use this on my computer. When i do the diverging I start by looking at the image as it appears here. Then step by step I enlarge the picture because i think i read somewhere else in this forum that this has the same effect as if you were seeing farther and farther into the distance? Whatever the reason behind it, it really seems to work for me! I can feel my eyes steadily diverging by increments each time i increase the picture size. the larger the picture, the longer it takes for me to diverge but the more i can feel my eyes relaxing.

After practicing this way for as long as i feel comfortable, then i put my computer down and look out into the distance which is much much clearer! i love this. i've added it to my daily routine. thanks again!

one question - when you diverge the cups with the written word 'seeing' on them and they don't line up exactly, what does that mean? does it mean that one eye is not relaxing as much as the other eye?

Re: Three cups Accommodation exercise - JMartinC4 - 09-30-2010

seetheleaves Wrote:one question - when you diverge the cups with the written word 'seeing' on them and they don't line up exactly, what does that mean? does it mean that one eye is not relaxing as much as the other eye?
It may mean that you need to slightly tilt/rotate your head/face in order to better align your eyes because of the difference in their focus/astigmatism/etc.
I recently devised a form of this 3-cups exercise, using two identical Snellen charts, perfectly aligned on the wall, and separated with the exact same distance between them for another imaginary Snellen. I center myself between them and then look at them and cross my eyes to create the imaginary 3rd Snellen between them - the 2 real Snellen 'diverge' in my vision to allow the 3rd imaginary combined image to appear. Then I focus my mind on the imaginary image. I believe it helps me align/coordinate/synchronize my two eyes. I posted a new photo of this at: picasaweb.google.com/JMCCAC

Quote:I recently devised a form of this 3-cups exercise, using two identical Snellen charts, perfectly aligned on the wall, and separated with the exact same distance between them for another imaginary Snellen. I center myself between them and then look at them and cross my eyes to create the imaginary 3rd Snellen between them - the 2 real Snellen 'diverge' in my vision to allow the 3rd imaginary combined image to appear. Then I focus my mind on the imaginary image.

ooo.. very interesting idea.
when you diverge the Snellens to make the 3rd Snellen, do you see all the letters line up equally? do they line up overtop of each other?

Re: Three cups Accommodation exercise - JMartinC4 - 09-30-2010

seetheleaves Wrote:ooo.. very interesting idea. when you diverge the Snellens to make the 3rd Snellen, do you see all the letters line up equally? do they line up overtop of each other?
Yes. It teaches me to slightly tilt my head and adjust my facial angle and posture so that everything is more closely aligned and working together. It also demonstrates to my mind the difference between an illusion and the real thing.

Re: Three cups Accommodation exercise - clarknight - 09-30-2010

I posted this in the wrong place; Please let me know if anyone else has had this effect from the 3-cups?

No more 3-cups or other fusion games for me. Been doing it with other pictures again as fusion exercise in a new vision improvement book been reading and again it goofed up my convergence: Convergence, fusion of object to the distance slow, left image sputters & moves slow to merge. Also seemed to slow my brain function with my eyes.
Last time I practiced fusion using the 3-cups I kept seeing my table double when trying to write on it, like my convergence was stuck too close or too far.
Took a few days of practicing real, true, plain old fashioned switching close and far, looking directly at the distance, object of visual attention, shifitng, true central fixation on the object to return to normal convergence, divergence and fast, equal, easy fusion.
I notice Martin Sussman's website Doctor states not to do those fusiuon exercises if you have any type Strabismus. Maybe only with help of a eye doctor. I think best is the old way without the 3-D images.
Another person has had the same problem after doing 3-cups.
Clark Night

Quote:I posted this in the wrong place; Please let me know if anyone else has had this effect from the 3-cups?

No more 3-cups or other fusion games for me. Been doing it with other pictures again as fusion exercise in a new vision improvement book been reading and again it goofed up my convergence: Convergence, fusion of object to the distance slow, left image sputters & moves slow to merge. Also seemed to slow my brain function with my eyes.
Last time I practiced fusion using the 3-cups I kept seeing my table double when trying to write on it, like my convergence was stuck too close or too far.
Took a few days of practicing real, true, plain old fashioned switching close and far, looking directly at the distance, object of visual attention, shifitng, true central fixation on the object to return to normal convergence, divergence and fast, equal, easy fusion.
I notice Martin Sussman's website Doctor states not to do those fusiuon exercises if you have any type Strabismus. Maybe only with help of a eye doctor. I think best is the old way without the 3-D images.
Another person has had the same problem after doing 3-cups.
Clark Night

oh no! i'm sorry to hear that!
i haven't experienced anything similar but i also haven't been using fusion games for very long. i use them to relax my eyes, then go outside and practice dave's excellent advice on looking at details. it has been working very well for me this way.

very glad to hear that you were able to fix this!