MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
My prescription is -5.75 - Printable Version
Eyesight Improvement Forum
My prescription is -5.75 - Printable Version

+- Eyesight Improvement Forum (https://www.iblindness.org/forum)
+-- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.iblindness.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Bates Method (https://www.iblindness.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: My prescription is -5.75 (/showthread.php?tid=1337)

My prescription is -5.75 - fuggles - 11-04-2009

right eye

sph tyl + 0.25

axis, 105

left eye

sph tyl + 0.25

axis, 105

so what lower prexcription glasses should i get

Re: My prescription is -5.75 - fuggles - 11-04-2009

if i get prescription glasses reduced, should I get 0 axis

what does axis mean ????????????

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.selectspecs.com/payment.php">http://www.selectspecs.com/payment.php</a><!-- m -->

cheap glasse.s only 8.50 uk pounds including delivery

Re: My prescription is -5.75 - Nancy - 11-04-2009

The axis measurement is for astigmatism. It's 2 pieces, an angle (axis) & a strength (diopters, your .25). My behavioral optometrist recommends for a reduced prescription to remove the astigmatism correction if it's less than 2 which yours is. So yes, I'd suggest removing this too.

Disclaimer: I am not a medical professional nor an optometrist, just someone who has reduced my own prescription substantially & improved my vision in the process.

yep

Re: My prescription is -5.75 - isee - 11-04-2009

Nancy,

What was your prescription before you started practicing the Bates method, and what is it now?

Re: My prescription is -5.75 - otis - 11-04-2009

Dear Fuggles,

Subject: Thanks for your "prescription". How to "convert" to reduce astigmatism to order glasses on line if you wish.

right eye - 5.75 sph tyl + 0.25 axis, 105

left eye -4.75 sph tyl + 0.25 axis, 105

It is amazint that BOTH axis are 105 degrees! Astigmatism as practically no effect on a Snellen -- if it less than 2 diopters (cyl.)

To convert this to "spherical equivalent", you simply take 1/2 the "astig" value (as 1/4 diopter) and add it to the "sph" value. Or with a value of 1/4 diotper you can ignore it. (They don't sell glasses with 1/8 diopter powers.)

These two prescriptions are what is required to give you 20/20. Some ODs believe in over-prescribing, so a person with 20/40 (passes the DMV) winds up with a -2 diopter prescription. I don't know if that is the case with you. But that is why Dr. Bates wanted the person to check his Snellen.

If you drive a care, you will need to pass the DMV test. As other times you can use a "reduced" value -- around the home. This reduced value will mean that your distant vision will not be 20/20. In Bates 1913 study, Bates advocated that kids with 20/60 NOT wear a minus lens, and "work" with their Snellens to clear their vision. That seemed to work in 1913. If you want a reasonable "reduced" value, simply subtract 1 diotper from each prescription -- and try that. At Zennioptical.com these glasses sell for about $9, and shipping is about $5, so you don't lose much money if you buy the reduced glasses. I am an Engineer, interested in any prevention that works for you -- but I can not provided medical advice. So think about it -- but that is how you can get a reduced lens for reading and most practical work.
Otis

Re: My prescription is -5.75 - fuggles - 11-05-2009

thanks for clearing it up

Reduced glasses are my last resort.

Re: My prescription is -5.75 - fuggles - 11-13-2009

this is what I was looking for

• 0.75 diopter of myopia reduces vision to 20/40 and the visual efficiency is reduced to 83% (20/20 is 100% visual efficiency). 20/40 vision is the cut-off used in most states for getting a driver's license. At or above 0.75 diopter of uncorrected myopia, you will fail the vision test to get a driver's license.
• 1.50 diopter of myopia reduces vision to 20/80 level and the visual efficiency is reduced to 58%.
• 2.50 diopter of myopia reduces vision to 20/200 level and the visual efficiency is reduced to 20%. 'Best corrected' vision worse than 20/200 is the 'legal definition of blindness'. Therefore at or above 2.50 diopter of 'uncorrected' myopia the eyesight is reduced to a vision-level that defines 'legal blindness'. Without glasses or contact lenses, a myope of -2.50 D sees what a legally blind person is able to see.
Important note: The above is valid only if you do not wear corrective glasses or contact lenses. Assuming the eye is otherwise healthy, with appropriate optical correction, vision in myopes can improve to 20/20. In general, myopes are capable of achieving normal vision with optical correction (or laser vision correction - LASIK, Epi-LASIK & LASEK). 'Legal blindness' or 'low vision' definitions apply only to best (optimally) corrected vision and not to uncorrected vision. Therefore a myope of -2.50 diopters, who has a 'uncorrected' vision of 20/200 is NOT legally blind if with appropriate optical correction vision can improve to better than 20/200.

Myopia most often develops and progresses between the ages of 7 and 16 years, then stabilizes in the late teens. Doing near work places one at risk for myopia. As many as 20 - 40 % of emmetropes (those with 20/20 vision and without refractive error) who pursue occupations with extensive near work requirements are likely to become myopic before the age of 25. When near work is excluded, less than 10% develop myopia. Prevalence of myopia has been positively correlated with level of family income, level of education of parents, refractive status of parents, reading ability, scholastic success, and intelligence. There is a strong association between parents with myopia and their children. If a child has two myopic parents the prevalence of myopia in children is 33 percent. With one myopic parent, it is reduced to 18 percent. If neither parent is myopic, it is only 6 percent. Therefore the odds of having myopia increase with increasing numbers of myopia parents.