MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
Eye Muscle Exercise - Printable Version
Eyesight Improvement Forum
Eye Muscle Exercise - Printable Version

+- Eyesight Improvement Forum (https://www.iblindness.org/forum)
+-- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.iblindness.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Complementary Methods (https://www.iblindness.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: Eye Muscle Exercise (/showthread.php?tid=1390)

Eye Muscle Exercise - popeye - 01-08-2010

Hi. I'm new to the Bates method which I discovered recently from this website: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.seeing.org/techniques/palming.htm">http://www.seeing.org/techniques/palming.htm</a><!-- m -->. It discusses Bates techniques for improving the eyes which is basically to not use your eyeglasses, do relaxation and strain free exercises.

However, I have a book from an author (Steven M. Beresford) who emphasize eye muscle exercises to improve vision, a no no in the Bates system. I had use his method 10 years ago for about 3 months straight then sporadically ever since. It seems to help especially when preparing for vision test for my driver's license renewal a week beforehand. I want to know if I'm damaging my eyes because of it or is it just a different approach?

Re: Eye Muscle Exercise - Besho - 04-30-2010

Hi ,
I want to ask that I have been doing eye exercises now for 2 months , it isn't bates ones but it is drawing 8 shape, infinity shape, looking far to the left , the right, looking upward , downward , drawing a butterfly with your eyes I have nearly improved by 1D , but there is a thing that I don't understand , which is my eyes are straining while i am still blurred in my current glasses, do you think lowering glasses will relieve it or it will strain , I want to know why my eyes muscles are hurt while I am not using a full strength one , I am palming several times and I don't use my eyes in a bad way,please anyone clarify this point , please reply as fast as possible
thanks

Re: Eye Muscle Exercise - JMartinC4 - 04-30-2010

Congratulations on your progress. You should only be wearing your glasses/lenses when there is a safety concern or an urgent need for them. Other than that, try adjusting your visual angle using not just your eyeballs, but your head, neck, torso, and hips. Look across the bridge of your nose to the left, then to the right, and then straight ahead, aligning both eyes with the bridge of the nose pointed into the distance. As Marco from Tribuya says - 'Good Luck'. Smile

Besho Wrote:Hi ,
I want to ask that I have been doing eye exercises now for 2 months , it isn't bates ones but it is drawing 8 shape, infinity shape, looking far to the left , the right, looking upward , downward , drawing a butterfly with your eyes I have nearly improved by 1D , but there is a thing that I don't understand , which is my eyes are straining while i am still blurred in my current glasses, do you think lowering glasses will relieve it or it will strain , I want to know why my eyes muscles are hurt while I am not using a full strength one , I am palming several times and I don't use my eyes in a bad way,please anyone clarify this point , please reply as fast as possible
thanks

Re: Eye Muscle Exercise - Besho - 05-01-2010

Thanks jmartinc4,
iwant to ask that I am seeing well with my -2.25 glasses which is -1d of my old prescription but it is blurred a bit but my eyes are hurting in it , in the - 1.75 one too , especially while reading to an extent that yesterday I found a part of my sclera get so red as if it is scratched , do you recommend trying -1.25 glasses ?, do you think that my eye muscles is getting stronger , so it is struggling with the glasses despite being blurred in my current glasses or do you think I am blurred because of muscle tension ? ,please anyone tell me his feedback
thanks

Re: Eye Muscle Exercise - JMartinC4 - 05-01-2010

I'm the wrong person to ask about that, since I've never tried the lower prescription glasses method.

Besho Wrote:Thanks jmartinc4,
iwant to ask that I am seeing well with my -2.25 glasses which is -1d of my old prescription but it is blurred a bit but my eyes are hurting in it , in the - 1.75 one too , especially while reading to an extent that yesterday I found a part of my sclera get so red as if it is scratched , do you recommend trying -1.25 glasses ?, do you think that my eye muscles is getting stronger , so it is struggling with the glasses despite being blurred in my current glasses or do you think I am blurred because of muscle tension ? ,please anyone tell me his feedback
thanks

Re: Eye Muscle Exercise - Nancy - 05-02-2010

Besho, you say you are not using your eyes in bad way, yet still feel strain when using your glasses. Like JMartinC4 recommends, I'd say see how your eyes feel without glasses when it's safe to take them off. If you're still straining, you're carrying the habit with you that the glasses are reinforcing every time you put them back on. No prescription, stronger or weaker, will magically fix the strain in your eyes -- you have to do something differently. (Actually, you probably have to stop doing something you're doing unconsciously.) Learn to do more and more without your glasses, and you weon't care what your prescription "has to be".

All that said, if you're straining with your glasses on now and you didn't use to, it's possible they are too strong for you, if your eyes have improved, but there's no way I can tell that. It's also possible that you were always straining, but are just now becoming aware of the strain for the first time.