MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
Why can't we sun in Fluorescent? - Printable Version
Eyesight Improvement Forum
Why can't we sun in Fluorescent? - Printable Version

+- Eyesight Improvement Forum (https://www.iblindness.org/forum)
+-- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.iblindness.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Bates Method (https://www.iblindness.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: Why can't we sun in Fluorescent? (/showthread.php?tid=1435)

Pages: 1 2

Why can't we sun in Fluorescent? - Summer - 03-06-2010

I overheard about artificial sunning. Sounds great! Except one thing: Only incandescents. But why?

I understand that fluorescent lighting flickers and emits UV radiation. What about the energy saving(self-ballasted) lights? They are fluorescent, but they don't flicker. And it seems that most of the UV is transferred to Light anyways.

Help me understand the problem here?

Re: Why can't we sun in Fluorescent? - sorrisiblue - 03-07-2010

you could try it and see if it works or not, that is always the simplest approach.

The two important things about closed eye sunning (in the sun) are the full spectrum and UV rays. there are lots of books that discuss the importance of sunlight for regulating hormones and producing vitamin D, basically sunlight is essential to health (just like everything else, not too much, not too little). The other advantage of the sun is that it is a point light source so when you turn your head through it the amount of light varies a lot.

'sunning' with any artificial source will obviously expose you to different radiation and my guess would be if you don't have a strong bulb (point source) there is no point doing it...

To answer your question, research it/judge it/try it yourself and compare the effect to real sunning to decide if there is any benefit.

Re: Why can't we sun in Fluorescent? - Summer - 03-07-2010

Yeah, everything in moderation. Didn't the Greeks say that?

I don't think I'm that interested in getting it to work. I get sunlight at least 320 days a year. I was just really curious why so many sources claim that sunning in a different form of lightbulb is harmful. If it is the UV, maybe someone could strap a UV filter on their bulb.

Re: Why can't we sun in Fluorescent? - clarknight - 03-07-2010

Some flourscent is full spectrum but I still find it unnatural. Also, even the full spectrum can burn out partially, exposing the eyes to unhealthy partial spectrum, unbalanced light. The real Sun is best for natural, full spectrum, all wavelengths, frequencies, colors of the light spectrum. Goes into the eyes, brain, body. Get the best - Real sunlight.

Re: Why can't we sun in Fluorescent? - Summer - 03-22-2010

clarknight Wrote:Some flourscent is full spectrum but I still find it unnatural. Also, even the full spectrum can burn out partially, exposing the eyes to unhealthy partial spectrum, unbalanced light. The real Sun is best for natural, full spectrum, all wavelengths, frequencies, colors of the light spectrum. Goes into the eyes, brain, body. Get the best - Real sunlight.

Okay. You make a convincing argument. I guess it would help to have an outdoors job, or a seat next to a window.

Say, what about that? Sunning through a glass window?

Re: Why can't we sun in Fluorescent? - Nancy - 03-23-2010

Plain (plane) glass still filters out some light. Open a window half-way, then alternately look through the glassed and the open halves to see the difference in color -- it's not as rich and deep. There is no substitute for sunning in natural light.

Re: Why can't we sun in Fluorescent? - Summer - 03-24-2010

I see... forgive the pun.

I wonder what people in Scandinavia and northern Alaska do. They are the northern most cities in the world and have 60 days in a row in the wintertime without any sun.

Re: Why can't we sun in Fluorescent? - clarknight - 04-24-2010

Sorry I have not posted help for students here lately. Busy! Heres a sunning video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZPbWo95cvQ

Re: Why can't we sun in Fluorescent? - Ares - 04-29-2010

Eyes closed?
I made my sunning with closed eyes at the start to get used to the light, and then i open them and i try to be relaxed, gazing for 5 - 10 seconds every time. The worst thing i have, is clearer vision. Not even the "scotomata" last for long. Some minutes most times actually and that because of strain.
Well, i agree about the ozon layer. Down here we have not that problem.

It is true that people living under more "primitive" conditions can look at the sun without problem. I have seen many people from Africa, Asia, India and from all the 120 different nationalities we have here, to look at the sun or stand with the sun face them directly without any discomfort. Same is true for the Caucasians who live in villages. Its a common say here that people from the Islands and Mountains have better visions that the city dwellers. That goes back to Byzantine times, when it was writed, and further into the past.

There is a group of native American street musician who are performing in the same square each day facing to the East. They so no sign of discomfort and not the lowest amount of squeezing can be observed on their eyes.

So, i believe if you are used to t, it wont actually hurt. Unless you sun gazing in Antarctica under the ozon hole.

Oh, and i don't believe in Sun's Energy stuff, of i do the sungazing from faith. I am not very religious guy...

Hey, what about sunning with pin holes? You can keep the light out, but some light passes in ass well and is not filtered buy the skin.

Re: Why can't we sun in Fluorescent? - clarknight - 04-30-2010

I do it a little with eyes open but with eyes always moving.
Had a scotomota once for 3 days after sun open eyed sunning too long. I now only advise closed eyes even though I sneak a quick peek myself.

I have heard that people in other countries, primitive... look at the sun without harm. I just do not want to advise it since I have not been there with those people over the years to see if their eyes remain ok. i know in a certain part if india? cataracts are common, up in the mountains but it may be the diet.
I felt the best heath and clear vision when sunning 'open eyed' every morning on the railroad tracks in Boston selling newspapers. Always moving the eyes over the sun left and right... Never immobile, never staring.
Pinholes, no. I think it might unbalance the light, not sure. Plain sunlight is best or go under a tree.

Re: Why can't we sun in Fluorescent? - Ares - 04-30-2010

Well, India is a bit Over-Populated for such a small place. Look at China, its so big, and India seems small in comparison, but India has much bigger population.
So, people can't have all the foods and medications available as we have in Europe and US, and the quality of food and water supply is not good most of the times.
I have seems documentaries from the "European" version of Al Jazeera, about children from Asian countries who seeking food in industrial trash and they live in huts near rivers polluted by waste material ducts from factories.

Africa is more lucky i believe, since is not polluted by industrial waste materials. But conditions for many people are bad.

So, under these conditions and the strain this people face everyday, is a miracle how they can live and have the health they have, even if its not ideal, for the age of 15 or 20, not the age of 50 many of these people reach without medical problems. Just imagine living near a factory in Europe, even the filtered smock can cause us cough. :-\

To be honest, i haven't seen a single person from India, Pakistan, Philippines, China or Africa wearing glasses, except tourists, businessmen and Embassy Personnel. I tough that they might have tot money to buy glasses, but those who have some years here can buy motorcycles and even cars to go to their works, but they do not wear glasses. Not even sunglasses.

Interesting evidence if you ask me, that need further investigation.

About Sungazing now.
Well, anyone must do it with his own risk i believe.
The bad is that many people will maybe became aware of eye floaters, or have a temporary scotoma, that will scare them and maybe make them believe tat Bates' method destroys the eyes.
But if have not good health, maybe it can cause problems. I can't be sure. Generally, i believe that 99% of the Earth's population will not have a permanent problem, but city dwellers sure need to get used to first.

Anyway, sunning close eyes it the best and more easy way to go because of it's easiness and simplicity. You can do it almost everywhere, anytime the sun is around and it is a great way to improve your vision and make you feel better.

Re: Why can't we sun in Fluorescent? - clarknight - 04-30-2010

Yeah, nutrition also. I love open eyed sunning but cant recommend it to students since so much controversy, mainly from eye docs, sunglass sales people. Dont know who to believe. World is full of crooks, frauds.

Re: Why can't we sun in Fluorescent? - JMartinC4 - 05-01-2010

Yes, apparently it is only in America where myopia is becoming more prevalent and progressively worse. And only in America has it been legislatively mandated that newborns receive a vision-blurring (normal newborns have perfect vision) antibiotic eye treatment within an hour or so of birth, a blur which lasts for up to 72 hours. Years later, ages 7-15, kids with the best memories and most ability in school start getting glasses - those who eschew it for athletics or outdoor activities generally don't, although more and more it seems even they are now falling into the 'myopia' trap. When the blind lead the blind, they both fall into a ditch. We used to have great scientists and inventors who weren't myopic - but nobody's inventing much of importance nowadays, and scientists are nerdy, glasses-wearing geeks. Why?

Ares Wrote:Well, India is a bit Over-Populated for such a small place. Look at China, its so big, and India seems small in comparison, but India has much bigger population.
So, people can't have all the foods and medications available as we have in Europe and US, and the quality of food and water supply is not good most of the times.
I have seems documentaries from the "European" version of Al Jazeera, about children from Asian countries who seeking food in industrial trash and they live in huts near rivers polluted by waste material ducts from factories.

Africa is more lucky i believe, since is not polluted by industrial waste materials. But conditions for many people are bad.

So, under these conditions and the strain this people face everyday, is a miracle how they can live and have the health they have, even if its not ideal, for the age of 15 or 20, not the age of 50 many of these people reach without medical problems. Just imagine living near a factory in Europe, even the filtered smock can cause us cough. :-\

To be honest, i haven't seen a single person from India, Pakistan, Philippines, China or Africa wearing glasses, except tourists, businessmen and Embassy Personnel. I tough that they might have tot money to buy glasses, but those who have some years here can buy motorcycles and even cars to go to their works, but they do not wear glasses. Not even sunglasses.

Interesting evidence if you ask me, that need further investigation.

About Sungazing now.
Well, anyone must do it with his own risk i believe.
The bad is that many people will maybe became aware of eye floaters, or have a temporary scotoma, that will scare them and maybe make them believe tat Bates' method destroys the eyes.
But if have not good health, maybe it can cause problems. I can't be sure. Generally, i believe that 99% of the Earth's population will not have a permanent problem, but city dwellers sure need to get used to first.

Anyway, sunning close eyes it the best and more easy way to go because of it's easiness and simplicity. You can do it almost everywhere, anytime the sun is around and it is a great way to improve your vision and make you feel better.

Re: Why can't we sun in Fluorescent? - David - 05-01-2010

JMatin, look at some Asian countries. Huge prevalence of myopia. I assume you've checked into their routines of eye drops on newborns?

Dave

Re: Why can't we sun in Fluorescent? - clarknight - 05-01-2010

I think Janet Goodrich wrote this or someone that took a course from her told me about that eyedrops thing.