MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
Becoming a Bates Method Teacher - Printable Version
Eyesight Improvement Forum
Becoming a Bates Method Teacher - Printable Version

+- Eyesight Improvement Forum (https://www.iblindness.org/forum)
+-- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.iblindness.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Bates Method (https://www.iblindness.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: Becoming a Bates Method Teacher (/showthread.php?tid=1454)

Pages: 1 2

Becoming a Bates Method Teacher - Seeker - 04-07-2010

Can you please direct me at training opportunities in the US that I could attend to become a Bates method teacher?

Thanks

Re: Becoming a Bates Method Teacher - Alexndre - 04-07-2010

I think that most bates method teachers offer this.
Have a nice day of improvements!
-Alexandre

Re: Becoming a Bates Method Teacher - Seeker - 04-07-2010

No need for certification to become a teacher?

Re: Becoming a Bates Method Teacher - David - 04-07-2010

There's really no such thing. I think there's just a handful of people around the world that actively teach the Bates method to clients (students). Some do teacher training workshops as well and call it certification or whatever, but of course very few of the attendees actually end up making any sort of part-time career out of it. In the US you can do just about anything as long as it's called educational and nothing to do with medicine or optometry. But I don't know of any here that are still doing the teacher training thing.

Dave

Re: Becoming a Bates Method Teacher - Nancy - 04-08-2010

I was trained by my behavioral optometrist, who Esther van der Werf (Visions of Joy) also interned with for 2 years, after she studied with Tom Quackenbush. I have a certificate on my wall of the completion of my training, and have learned as much from my own reading and research (especially with myself as the subject!) as I have from the training. Study with someone well-known or with a well-established practice if you can, like Meir Schneider, and keep learning -- new and better books are coming out all the time. Like Dave said, there's presently no formal organization regulating this, since we are not "doctors".

Re: Becoming a Bates Method Teacher - Ares - 04-08-2010

"Bates Method Teacher" is not a profession.
When you say that when you asked about your profession, people will look at you like you spoke in Klingon or Mandalorian, and if someone knows the anti-Bates propaganda, well, its another story...

Also, Bates Method Teaching is not an recognized work as i know. Governments are actually against Bates' Method. Money from eye products are too much to actually allow treatment to be around.

I am afraid that the only way things can be, is like they are now or worse.

Furthermore, you can't made a living from teaching people to see.

So, find a simple job, and do what i and many others do. Spread the info around, and teach anyone listens to you, giving him any amount of teaching you can. Of course you have to do it for free. Don't say anything, you probably know anything you know about Bates' method from free sources. Wink

Not to mention that by your Laws, it may be a crime to sell "pseudoscience"...

Re: Becoming a Bates Method Teacher - johnwayne - 04-09-2010

How you looked at this one?

http://visionimprovementcenter.com/teachertraining.htm

Cheers, JW

Re: Becoming a Bates Method Teacher - Ares - 04-09-2010

Its a matter of time believe, until people like those on the website and other websites, will attract an amount of people intolerable by the industries or governments and they will end up doing time, paying fines and many other bad things.

Isn't truth that the State of NY heaved made Dr Bates illegal back in the time?

Re: Becoming a Bates Method Teacher - johnwayne - 04-09-2010

I believe the 'Government' did not make the Bates Method illegal. The worst that happened as far as I know was that Bates lost his teaching position at one of the universities - can't remember which one. The orthodox eye care industry did try to shut down Margaret Darst Corbett as she was getting a little too high profile for their liking. What probably attracted their ire most was that the US Government actually used her expertise to improve the eyesight of the military. It's this sort of thing that made them jealous:

Quote:Established optometrists and ophthalmologists continue to be unimpressed by Mrs. Corbett’s work. Speaking of her work, amongst others, Philip Pollack wrote

To anyone trained in the science of vision, the ignorance and the sheer absurdity of ideas explained in these books are appalling. The authors by-pass completely the discoveries and the experimental findings of such celebrated scientists and ophthalmologists as Helmholtz, Tscherning, Young, Maddox, Gullstrand, Donders, Duke-Elder, Fincham, etc. Their methods of treatment of defective vision and of diseased eyes are totally without value. ... The ideas of Bates and his disciples, far from being new, are a throwback to medieval habits of thought.[2]

Re: Becoming a Bates Method Teacher - JMartinC4 - 04-10-2010

What was the date on that quote? It is a good description of why myopia has become more prevalent and progressively worse world-wide since the 'scientists' began measuring it circa 1900. They aren't measuring it correctly, have rejected the very notion that anything other than lenses or surgery can correct it, and since millions of people make a very fine living off their myopic sheep they have no reason to question their beliefs. Medieval? They are Mengel-ian in their thinking and approach to the problem.
Here is an interesting thing I read after googling newborn vision: Around the turn of the century medical science decided that they should put drops of silver nitrate into all newborns' eyes in order to prevent the rare cases of syphillis-related blindness. Around mid-century they switched to erythromicin or something. The practice continues to this day. And so they have largely rid the world of that form of blindness. Yippee-skippy. To cover their tracks for the vast majority of mothers whose children need no such treatment, they tell them that newborns can't see very well. But in fact newborns are born farsighted (by their suspect 'scientific' eyeball length/lens focal power measurements). What they ignore is that a mother (and father) and newborn have some very important bonding to do, which is probably compromised if the parents, especially the mother, even think that their child can't see very well. Sad

johnwayne Wrote:I believe the 'Government' did not make the Bates Method illegal. The worst that happened as far as I know was that Bates lost his teaching position at one of the universities - can't remember which one. The orthodox eye care industry did try to shut down Margaret Darst Corbett as she was getting a little too high profile for their liking. What probably attracted their ire most was that the US Government actually used her expertise to improve the eyesight of the military. It's this sort of thing that made them jealous:

Quote:Established optometrists and ophthalmologists continue to be unimpressed by Mrs. Corbett’s work. Speaking of her work, amongst others, Philip Pollack wrote

To anyone trained in the science of vision, the ignorance and the sheer absurdity of ideas explained in these books are appalling. The authors by-pass completely the discoveries and the experimental findings of such celebrated scientists and ophthalmologists as Helmholtz, Tscherning, Young, Maddox, Gullstrand, Donders, Duke-Elder, Fincham, etc. Their methods of treatment of defective vision and of diseased eyes are totally without value. ... The ideas of Bates and his disciples, far from being new, are a throwback to medieval habits of thought.[2]

Re: Becoming a Bates Method Teacher - Ares - 04-10-2010

I don't know for other Countries, people. Here is very illegal to be a Bates Method Teacher. You will end up doing time before you notice.

I hope that other Governments will care about their people's health and lives and the will place no obstacles in alternative treatments, but there are many Billions each year, made from eye-crutches industry, laser operations and such.
I mean, how much the book costs? 15 dollars?

That i am "afraid" of, it that when more and more people will be attracted to Bates Method, and i speak about millions, not thousands, there would be a need of repression or at least anti-Bates propaganda to protect the industries.
And we all know that most politician getting the money for their campaigns from industries, corporations and such.

And as far as i know, being a Bates Method Teacher, is not the same like being a Physics Teacher. Doesn't have to be a government recognized profession in other countries?
Here its not, and no one will take your wort seriously.
Even in a court, the judge is forces to believe the ophthalmologist, and every proof and fact you will present will not worth but a little and even then an ophthalmologist would need to examine it and say who it was possible. method Teacher would be something like a televangelist, pseudo scientist, ufologist or the "crazy dude"... >Sad

Re: Becoming a Bates Method Teacher - JMartinC4 - 04-10-2010

Here is an absolutely illuminating article on the topic of newborns and what medical 'science' has done to us for 100 years:
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.rbs2.com/SilvNitr.pdf">http://www.rbs2.com/SilvNitr.pdf</a><!-- m -->

I'm beginning to think it is the source of our problem. :-\

JMartinC4 Wrote:What was the date on that quote? It is a good description of why myopia has become more prevalent and progressively worse world-wide since the 'scientists' began measuring it circa 1900. They aren't measuring it correctly, have rejected the very notion that anything other than lenses or surgery can correct it, and since millions of people make a very fine living off their myopic sheep they have no reason to question their beliefs. Medieval? They are Mengel-ian in their thinking and approach to the problem.
Here is an interesting thing I read after googling newborn vision: Around the turn of the century medical science decided that they should put drops of silver nitrate into all newborns' eyes in order to prevent the rare cases of syphillis-related blindness. Around mid-century they switched to erythromicin or something. The practice continues to this day. And so they have largely rid the world of that form of blindness. Yippee-skippy. To cover their tracks for the vast majority of mothers whose children need no such treatment, they tell them that newborns can't see very well. But in fact newborns are born farsighted (by their suspect 'scientific' eyeball length/lens focal power measurements). What they ignore is that a mother (and father) and newborn have some very important bonding to do, which is probably compromised if the parents, especially the mother, even think that their child can't see very well. Sad

johnwayne Wrote:I believe the 'Government' did not make the Bates Method illegal. The worst that happened as far as I know was that Bates lost his teaching position at one of the universities - can't remember which one. The orthodox eye care industry did try to shut down Margaret Darst Corbett as she was getting a little too high profile for their liking. What probably attracted their ire most was that the US Government actually used her expertise to improve the eyesight of the military. It's this sort of thing that made them jealous:

Re: Becoming a Bates Method Teacher - johnwayne - 04-10-2010

It was 1956. It was quoted from his book 'The Truth about Eye Exercises'.

Cheers JW

Re: Becoming a Bates Method Teacher - JMartinC4 - 04-11-2010

JW - thanks. 1956. I was born in 1954 = practically every newborn in America was still receiving within an hour of birth a caustic 1% solution of silver nitrate into both eyes if they were born in any kind of a hospital or administered to by any kind of law-abiding doctor or midwife. The pain and irritation persists for anywhere from 24 to 72 hours (taken from my previously posted weblink of a 2006 legal paper by a doctor of laws). We can assume practical blindness for the normally farsighted infants during that time. Blindness during a crucial bonding period with the mother/father/parents/relatives. Blindness during a period of initial orientation to the world. And the parents are told simply that their newborns can't see very well yet.
An interesting note was that when the nurse or whomever (the administrator can be practically anyone) puts the first drop into the baby's eye, the baby slams both eyes shut, making it difficult to put a drop in the other eye. Most myopes I know have one eye significantly better than the other. And what of the destruction or degradation of epithelial conjunctiva and who knows what else? Dry eye syndrome, anyone? There is also the possibility of staining and other residual physical effects.
Silver nitrate was legislatively mandated until around 1956 - then replaced with penicillin, erythromycin, or other antibiotics, which although they result in less pain and irritation, surely still badly compromise the infant's vision. They are still mandated today.
My mother confirmed it for me yesterday. She and my dad kept a journal, where one of her entries says something like, "It's too bad they can't see very well when they're infants." Yet according to my copy of a 1986 study from the National Academies of Sciences on "Prevalence and Progression of Myopia" covering the inexorable increasing prevalence and progressive worsening of myopia for the years 1881 - 1985 or so, infants are farsighted. The 40 page report makes no mention of the newborn eyes' silver nitrate/antibiotic 'treatment', nor, of course, of Dr. Bates' work.
But it takes little thought to realize the mis-orientation, mis-alignment, and mangled sense of positioning and timing that is instantly ingrained in the infants. Sure, the effect of the drug wears off - but the damage is done. Now the child's vision develops in a slightly askew manner. Probably many children who would have developed 20/10 or better vision, are able to reach 20/20. But the vast majority who would have simply reached 20/20 never get there. They can't properly orient themselves to their parents directions/commands. 'Sit up straight'? they don't know exactly what or where straight is; 'Look over there'? they don't know exactly where 'there' is. And if one or both of the parents is already myopic, what chance does the child have? Luckily for me my mother had and still has great eyesight. My own children were not so visually lucky.
But this knowledge alone has already begun to help me reorient myself and devleop my vision. "You shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free." Sad Smile 8)

Re: Becoming a Bates Method Teacher - johnwayne - 04-11-2010

That's really interesting stuff, thank you.