MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
Working Towards A Neonatal Blur Theory Of Common Myopia - Printable Version
Eyesight Improvement Forum
Working Towards A Neonatal Blur Theory Of Common Myopia - Printable Version

+- Eyesight Improvement Forum (https://www.iblindness.org/forum)
+-- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.iblindness.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Complementary Methods (https://www.iblindness.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: Working Towards A Neonatal Blur Theory Of Common Myopia (/showthread.php?tid=1463)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Re: Working Towards A Neonatal Blur Theory Of Common Myopia - JMartinC4 - 08-04-2011

Two days ago I realized that by consciously staying (simultaneously or with shared dominance) aware of both sides of the bridge-edge of my nose while looking into the/any distance, while doing right-left shift 'scanning' with my face/head/torso, my eyesight and control of it was, and still is, again improving. This must have to do with the optic chiasm, and with both glare and shadow reflections from the nose bridge-edges being used as a natural alignment calibration device.
All other Bates-derived methods and discoveries are also still 'at work' (and 'in play'! Smile ).

Re: Working Towards A Neonatal Blur Theory Of Common Myopia - arocarty - 08-04-2011

It may also be that when you are doing that, you are not concentrating as hard on what is in the distance, consequently not straining so much -

Re: Working Towards A Neonatal Blur Theory Of Common Myopia - JMartinC4 - 08-04-2011

No, there's no difference in concentration. If anything, I am more concentrated than ever because of the increased clarity. The difference is that the eyes are better aligned, coordinated and synchronized, which enables the mind to find and match the clear distance visual input from the symmetrically positioned foveas, instead of remaining fixated on the unsymmetrical, misaligned, uncoordinated and unsynchronized pseudofoveal blurry input.

Another difference is that I am learning to more accurately position myself, especially facial orientation, for optimal focusing of distance lightrays, within the surrounding environmental lighting conditions. In other words, I'm not mispositioning myself from the get-go and holding onto or maintaining that mispositioning. I'm reorienting my entire being within the surrounding lighting conditions for normal eyesight. It is a slight shifting - probably imperceptible to most others - but it is making a difference in terms of normal eyesight development.

Full Disclosure: I have been discussing these things a little bit with my still clear-sighted mother visiting from Michigan and my clear-sighted friend in Michigan, as well as with my myopic PhD biologist skeptical son in NYC and his slightly myopic skeptical fiance.

Re: Working Towards A Neonatal Blur Theory Of Common Myopia - JMartinC4 - 08-13-2011

My eyesight has been improving every day for the past week.
I was reading the paper two days ago at the kitchen table around noon, facing south, in bright light both from the window and the overhead. My wife, seated to my left four feet away, asked why my eyes were all wet. They were not. But to her they appeared so. This is simply further confirmation of my contention that the corneal bulge can be gradually replaced with a normal tearfilm over time. My wife has known me for 35 years.

Re: Working Towards A Neonatal Blur Theory Of Common Myopia - hereford_picnic - 08-13-2011

Way to go, C4!

Re: Working Towards A Neonatal Blur Theory Of Common Myopia - JMartinC4 - 08-14-2011

Equalizing the eye dominance was a huge key for me. I am now leading with or sharing the dominance with my left/worse/nondominant eye nearly 50 percent of the time. And the vision in that eye is now often the first to flash clear.

Flooding my eyes with cold water every morning, multiple times a day, and always before going to sleep gradually improved the tearfilms and probably reduced/replaced some corneal bulging. Often stretching my eyelids, brows, cheeks, etc. wide open also proved very helpful in gradually reducing the unconscious squeezing and squinting.

Incorporating the Bates Methods into my daily visual routine until they have become automatic and near unconscious was equally important.

Also crucial was consciously elevating my normal line of sight. My normal orienting line of sight is now much better matched to my height.

And of course learning to rotate my vision on a level plane, so that the eyes are coordinated and synchronized while turning or looking into different distances, despite differing blur levels.

And probably most important of all - participating in this community forum / NVI laboratory, and discussing NVI with other nonparticipants in person and in writing, especially those with normal eyesight. The communication interplay is far more important than any of us realize, I suspect.

I am now I would say about 20-30-50 in terms of clear near-normal eyesight, corneal tearfilm blur, and mental hypnotic blur percentages. That may still be 80% blur, but the clear percent is rapidly rising and the other two are falling. (Originally it was 100% hypnotic blur - the blur seemed disassociated from the eyes.) I believe I've turned another corner and this is hopefully the final phase or stage taking me to a normal, unstunted visual system.

Two years. It shouldn't take anybody more than two years to develop normal eyesight from common myopia using the Bates Methods and improvements, knowledge of the visual system, and constant communication.

Re: Working Towards A Neonatal Blur Theory Of Common Myopia - JMartinC4 - 08-16-2011

Just another insight:
People with nearpoint fixation disorder don't know what or where or how far they should be able to see clearly and what or where or how far they shouldn't. They therefore look everywhere and anywhere, rarely if ever looking where they should be looking, for clear distance vision. No one points them in the correct direction. They don't know how to point themselves in the correct direction.

Re: Working Towards A Neonatal Blur Theory Of Common Myopia - hammer - 08-19-2011

JMartinC4,
I tried flooding my eyes with cold water, and yes the tearfilm improves such that I see a lot better. I have known about this trick for a long time, it must be Bates who suggested it I think,
but for some reason it did not work in the past for me, maybe I am more relaxed today and that is why it works now, it is quite strange, though I am happy for the result so far. I came home today from my work and was a bit tired, after I had cooled my eyes I felt a little renewed and fresher.

Now, what I have also done is that I have thought about eye dominance and how it is related to relaxing left and right shoulder/arm. So I did an experiment. When I relax my left shoulder/arm then the right hand gets more dominant than the left hand, I am right handed, ok, thus the dominant eye gets more active compared to the non dominant eye, due to that there is a connection between the eyes/shoulders/neck. Now, my right eye is the dominant eye and this is the eye that has worse eyesight compared to the left eye. So I expected my worse eye (my right eye, my dominant eye) to improve and start leading again, ök, and guess what, it sems that this theory was correct, because my worse eye improved a lot.
So this is the new alignment exercise I am going to apply.
It is easy to be aware of the feeling of relaxation in the arm/shoulder and then apply that feeling to the eyes, then the eyes relax, it becomes a feedback loop because the relaxation of the eyes forwards a further relaxation of the shoulders/neck/arms and so on and so on and so on and so on.
This is based on research that has concluded that myopic eyes cause tension in shoulders/neck, you know work related problems (like pain in neck/shoulders) and so on they do a lot of research on, but no one (but me) reflects on the consequences related to myopia, at least I have not heard of such myopia research yet.

Re: Working Towards A Neonatal Blur Theory Of Common Myopia - hereford_picnic - 08-20-2011

hammer,

I have a trigger point therapy book that says that trigger points in sternocleidomastoideus can cause double vision (among very many other symptoms). I don't know more yet, but I just thought to give you a hint. I think the "perfect" relaxation of the mind could also remove all trigger points in the neck muscles, but that's just a hunch.

Re: Working Towards A Neonatal Blur Theory Of Common Myopia - JMartinC4 - 08-20-2011

hammer Wrote:JMartinC4, I tried flooding my eyes with cold water, and yes the tearfilm improves such that I see a lot better. I have known about this trick for a long time, it must be Bates who suggested it I think, but for some reason it did not work in the past for me, maybe I am more relaxed today and that is why it works now, it is quite strange, though I am happy for the result so far. I came home today from my work and was a bit tired, after I had cooled my eyes I felt a little renewed and fresher.
Now, what I have also done is that I have thought about eye dominance and how it is related to relaxing left and right shoulder/arm. So I did an experiment. When I relax my left shoulder/arm then the right hand gets more dominant than the left hand, I am right handed, ok, thus the dominant eye gets more active compared to the non dominant eye, due to that there is a connection between the eyes/shoulders/neck. Now, my right eye is the dominant eye and this is the eye that has worse eyesight compared to the left eye. So I expected my worse eye (my right eye, my dominant eye) to improve and start leading again, ök, and guess what, it sems that this theory was correct, because my worse eye improved a lot.
So this is the new alignment exercise I am going to apply. It is easy to be aware of the feeling of relaxation in the arm/shoulder and then apply that feeling to the eyes, then the eyes relax, it becomes a feedback loop because the relaxation of the eyes forwards a further relaxation of the shoulders/neck/arms and so on and so on and so on and so on. This is based on research that has concluded that myopic eyes cause tension in shoulders/neck, you know work related problems (like pain in neck/shoulders) and so on they do a lot of research on, but no one (but me) reflects on the consequences related to myopia, at least I have not heard of such myopia research yet.
hammer - Yes, constantly reducing the constant strain with cold water (gosh what a weird idea, according to sorrisi!) is working well in conjunction with temporarily force-shifting my visual dominance to my worse eye and in conjunction with practicing the various Bates methods.
I think applying the cold before sleeping and in the morning is especially effective because it combines with the natural relaxation of sleep and reinforces the reduction of strain.
I think you are on track with the shoulder relaxation line. That marries well with my observations of being generally not pointed correctly - visually, physically and mentally. clarknight may have more to add on that.
Thanks! We're going to figure this out. My eyesight is getting better every day. Bit by bit. Probably pixel by pixel, cone by cone, rod by rod (optic chiasm crossover is important).
Hey - something else I've been noticing is that forward motion while looking into the distance/horizon/treeline/skyline definitely helps. That confirms some other observations by people like jiminos.

Re: Working Towards A Neonatal Blur Theory Of Common Myopia - hereford_picnic - 08-20-2011

JMartinC4 Wrote:Hey - something else I've been noticing is that forward motion while looking into the distance/horizon/treeline/skyline definitely helps. That confirms some other observations by people like jiminos.
What do you mean by forward motion?

Re: Working Towards A Neonatal Blur Theory Of Common Myopia - JMartinC4 - 08-21-2011

hereford_picnic Wrote:
JMartinC4 Wrote:Hey - something else I've been noticing is that forward motion while looking into the distance/horizon/treeline/skyline definitely helps. That confirms some other observations by people like jiminos.
What do you mean by forward motion?
Exactly what it sounds like: straight ahead movement. It happens when we walk, run, ride a bike, or are propelled forward by any other means. It provides an opportunity to coordinate, synchronize, and equalize/share the visual dominance, and thereby develop more normal eyesight. The 'method' I think myopes should use is to force themselves to look higher, deeper and with both eyes equally (one at a time then together, repeat), while experiencing forward motion. I think myopes ordinarily look too low, too short, and with one overdominant eye, than they should normally.
I also recently saw some posts on another topic here which referred to Dr. Bates being a runner, and the posters' experience with improved eyesight while running or afterwards.
But of course according to sorrisi if Dr. Bates didn't write it down 100 years ago then no one should do it. Maybe she's right? I wonder where she comes up with her crazy ideas - oh, wait - she doesn't have any ideas of her own - the original Bates Methods are like a holy bible to her.

Re: Working Towards A Neonatal Blur Theory Of Common Myopia - Nancy - 08-22-2011

Forward motion probably helps because it makes you more aware of the periphery (since it's moving past and behind you as you move forward). This is good! Bates' central fixation is seeing the central point clearest while still remaining aware of the periphery. Most myopes shrink their periphery until they have tunnel vision.

I don't think you and Sorrisi are all that far apart, BTW -- can't we just all get along?

Re: Working Towards A Neonatal Blur Theory Of Common Myopia - David - 08-22-2011

JMartinC4 Wrote:But of course according to sorrisi if Dr. Bates didn't write it down 100 years ago then no one should do it. Maybe she's right? I wonder where she comes up with her crazy ideas - oh, wait - she doesn't have any ideas of her own - the original Bates Methods are like a holy bible to her.

Personal attacks on other members are not tolerated. I shouldn't even need to say this.

Re: Working Towards A Neonatal Blur Theory Of Common Myopia - JMartinC4 - 08-22-2011

I'll try to do better. I guess I didn't consider it an 'attack' as much as 'self-defense'. What she does is take an idea out of context, ignore all the rationale behind it, and imply it has no use and should be ignored. She herself hasn't improved her eyesight much in over 5 years of posting. Here are just some of the thinly-veiled 'comments' I was trying to respond to (in italics):
"... I can see you're frustrated with the forum. There is nothing abstract or mythical about the Bates method, that's just how some people discuss it. Also realize some people just make up their own theories and discuss them under the Bates method threads even though these theories have nothing to do with the Bates method. If someone writes something that doesn't make sense to you, it probably just doesn't make sense at all, so don't worry about it. ...
To answer your questions, the 'exercizes' like the 3 cups and eye rolling exercizes are NOT the Bates method. A cold water bath for the eyes is also not the Bates method. I have not seen success stories coming from these things. ...
The core of the Bates method is this: strain makes sight worse. Rest helps vision get better. There are many ways to rest the eyes and use them naturally, this is what the Bates method teaches. Some methods will work better for you. Just do those methods that help your vision. Some good Bates method advice was given by Nancy and Andrew. ...
I would not recommend turning your glasses upside down. rather, ask an experienced Batse method teacher what sort of reduced prescription they would recommend you use for your work. Best, Sorrisi "