MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
Can I keep wearing my glasses? - Printable Version
Eyesight Improvement Forum
Can I keep wearing my glasses? - Printable Version

+- Eyesight Improvement Forum (https://www.iblindness.org/forum)
+-- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.iblindness.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: FAQ (https://www.iblindness.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=15)
+--- Thread: Can I keep wearing my glasses? (/showthread.php?tid=1478)

Can I keep wearing my glasses? - David - 05-20-2010

The bottom line is, putting on your prescription glasses helps you accomplish tasks, and they're also bad for your eyes. If you're going to wear them, don't try to get someone here to make you feel better about it, because you're only fooling yourself. If you diligently practice the exercises, occasionally wearing your glasses might not prevent you from recovering your vision. Glasses interfere with the visual biofeedback in that the clear vision they help produce suggests that everything is okay and that there is no severe misuse of the eyes going on. It leads to a mess that people must find their way out of as they relearn, without glasses, what really affects their vision positively or negatively. Glasses really aren't the problem; misuse of the eyes is the problem. But glasses cover up the problem and mislead you. How often will you participate in the illusion?

Try pinhole glasses if you need to wear something sometimes. They still have the drawback of helping to produce a sort of clear vision despite continuing misuse of the eyes, but people often find for whatever reason that wearing pinhole glasses results in a feeling of instant relief for the eyes, as if much of the eyestrain just disappears, whereas prescription glasses do not help produce the same beneficial feeling.

RE: Can I keep wearing my glasses? - andrewkruise - 03-15-2014

when i don't wear my glasses I feel heaviness around my eyes and severe headache. This happens consistently on the days when I dont use my glasses. On the day when I use my glasses I am all right. How long does it take before these problems dont trouble me on the days when i dont wear glasses?

RE: Can I keep wearing my glasses? - Nancy - 03-15-2014

(03-15-2014, 02:54 AM)andrewkruise Wrote: when i don't wear my glasses I feel heaviness around my eyes and severe headache. This happens consistently on the days when I dont use my glasses. On the day when I use my glasses I am all right. How long does it take before these problems dont trouble me on the days when i dont wear glasses?

Just a guess, as I don't know you, but it's often the case that removing glasses helps you become more aware of a strain that was always there. Glasses allow us to ignore our eyes and pretend everything is "fine" with our visual system when often it's not. If palming helps you feel more at ease without glasses, or the Long Swing, or any other relaxation practice, or you feel no strain when looking close, lack of glasses is not your problem -- your straining habits of looking are. Take it slow, as this is not a race, and observe yourself, when you feel more heaviness and when you feel less. This could be a big clue to start you on the trail of identifying, then releasing, those bad seeing habits. Keep us posted!

RE: Can I keep wearing my glasses? - clarknight - 03-17-2014

1901 teachers warn against glasses. See PDF.

RE: Can I keep wearing my glasses? - Aethersky - 03-17-2014

the whole concept of "strong vs weak" eyes is wrong. the shape of the eye is the major problem.

RE: Can I keep wearing my glasses? - Bifocal - 03-22-2014

(03-17-2014, 06:37 AM)clarknight Wrote: 1901 teachers warn against glasses. See PDF.

Better yet,see this.
http://www.iovs.org/content/51/12/6262.full.pdf+html

RE: Can I keep wearing my glasses? - clarknight - 04-05-2014

Do not keep wearing glasses. Avoid the eyeglass salesmen who try to own this forum.

You can obtain clear eyesight without glasses.

Uhhhhh, I am still here trying to prevent the eyeglass men from taking over.
I have to go, busy working on more creation, preserving the true Bates Method.

David; today after my last posts I went to Facebook. It was nice, relaxed; because no people selling glasses, surgery attacking the Bates teachers, interfering with our conversation. I was happy there.

Think about it please; bring Dr. Bates TRUE forum back.
We need it.

Its just too hard to type, type, trying to help people when the eyeglass and other disrupters get on here. On FB we can block them. Each member chooses who posts. Maybe set up that there?

RE: Can I keep wearing my glasses? - Bifocal - 04-05-2014

Stay away from the eyeglass sales women,especially ones that try to get you to buy from online optical sources,and offer advice on how to measure your P.D.
Beware of people that preach no glasses,and then say it is OK to wear them sometimes. Bates actually smashed glasses.

RE: Can I keep wearing my glasses? - chloespeaks - 04-13-2014

For the most part, I am able to get away from them entirely, but what do you suggest one does if you've got to drive on a daily basis? I'm not not sure pinhole glasses are adequate for that task, and it is still against the law, god forbid if something happens and you are pulled over if it says you need a correction on your driver's license 8-/

RE: Can I keep wearing my glasses? - Nancy - 04-14-2014

Do not drive without glasses if you need them to see legally and safely. You'll be putting yourself in danger, and others who are on the road. When I was coming down from my high prescription using reduced glasses, I was constantly taking them off my face and putting them on top of my head when I was at a stoplight, or in a construction zone going 2 mph. The first time I drove without glasses was in my driveway, barely moving, and I felt so free! Do without your glasses as much as you SAFELY can.

Do not use pinhole glasses to drive. They block too much of the visual field.

RE: Can I keep wearing my glasses? - chloespeaks - 04-15-2014

thanks for the advice!

I am absolutely not intending to drive without glasses.

I have not yet found any local supportive optometrist to prescribe the reduced prescription lenses. I found a source online that will fill what you give them. I'm at -5.5 contact lens prescription and I went ahead and got -5.5 reduced prescriptions - they usually prescribe -6.5 glasses for me, but I find that a reduction of 1 diopter is not enough of a reduction for me. is there a formula to get to 20/40 as far as reducing a percentage of diopter strength?

RE: Can I keep wearing my glasses? - Nancy - 04-16-2014

(04-15-2014, 08:45 PM)chloespeaks Wrote: thanks for the advice!

I am absolutely not intending to drive without glasses.

I have not yet found any local supportive optometrist to prescribe the reduced prescription lenses. I found a source online that will fill what you give them. I'm at -5.5 contact lens prescription and I went ahead and got -5.5 reduced prescriptions - they usually prescribe -6.5 glasses for me, but I find that a reduction of 1 diopter is not enough of a reduction for me. is there a formula to get to 20/40 as far as reducing a percentage of diopter strength?

I just went through this with a student in Europe. Unfortunately, there's no strict accurate formula for this, since people are not machines, and emotions play such a big part in eyesight. One person may be fine with a 20/50 prescription for most things and another may be frightened and feel very unsafe.

It's best to work with a behavioral optometrist to get a full eye exam to rule out any problems, then get a 20/40 pair of glasses, ideally with minimal or no astigmatism correction. Then you may be able to step down further slowly on your own by buying glasses on-line if you have a good baseline to start from.

Even most traditional eye doctors will prescribe you "computer glasses" if you ask for them, when they won't be comfortable giving you distance glasses which are 20/40. Work with what you've got, and see the eye doctor as a resource, using him for what he's been trained in.

I don't know where you live, but here are 2 links to find a behavioral optometrist which may be helpful:

http://www.naturaleyecare.com/doctors.asp

http://visionsofjoy.org/visionlinks.htm#behavioraloptometrists

Let us know how you do.