MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
New 2 Bates - Printable Version
Eyesight Improvement Forum
New 2 Bates - Printable Version

+- Eyesight Improvement Forum (https://www.iblindness.org/forum)
+-- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.iblindness.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Bates Method (https://www.iblindness.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: New 2 Bates (/showthread.php?tid=1511)

New 2 Bates - xaff - 07-03-2010

Ok I have stopped wearing my glasses for about two months now, but have not been really doing the exercises. I'm trying to start doing them, but I don't really read the books. According to what I know sunning is sitting outside facing the sun with eyelids closed so the sunlight can rest on your eyes, moving your head when needed, palming is just covering your eyes with your hands so no light can come through, and eye exercises are when you move your eyes in all directions without moving your head. So I guess my real question is am I doing them right, and am I doing all of them I should be doing. I heard about another exercise were you try to visual an E on an eye chart, but I don't really get it.

Re: New 2 Bates - 2xtreme2fit - 07-04-2010

Hey, I'm new here too. Its good you left your glasses already but apart from that, you've slightly misunderstood the Bates Method.
There are no exercises but things that eyes with normal or better vision should do. Palming is straight-forward & requires little or no help. Sunning to my belief is...useless. Denying your eyes light is denying them their purpose.
The Sun does not just rest your eyes, it brings them back. No "eye damage" done by seeing the Sun is permanent, I've proved it to myself. Go ahead & open your eyes to the Sun, sure they won't open at first but eventually you'll be able to withstand it for an indefinite length of time.

Make SURE you do check out 'Exercise Descriptions' for a little heads-up.

Re: New 2 Bates - xaff - 07-04-2010

I do not think I misunderstood. I've known that the bates method is more of a relaxation technique and requires no effort. I just perfer to call them exercises than activities or something similar. I have recently realized that it does not matter how long I do them because if I set a time it has to start and a time it has to be done, then i'm just stressing myself worrying about the time and not really being relaxed.I do have another question for you guys though. I am currently 15 (almost 16) and school is starting next month. I want to continue using the bates method, but i can hardly see anything without my glasses. Leaving it a problem for when i'm at school and trying to read off the board or whatever else that's not right in front of me. Does any one know of a way where I can get by without wearing my glasses at school ?

Re: New 2 Bates - 2xtreme2fit - 07-04-2010

xaff Wrote:I do not think I misunderstood. I've known that the bates method is more of a relaxation technique and requires no effort.

Hard for me to believe. It took me 2 years to really understand it (I started at 16 btw) so I know exactly what you mean.

xaff Wrote:I just prefer to call them exercises than activities or something similar.

Not the most accurate description but if you take them as exercises you won't get anywhere.

xaff Wrote:Does any one know of a way where I can get by without wearing my glasses at school ?

This is a problem I suffered from for atleast 1-&-a-half years & getting around it is tricky. If you can, learn shifting immediately & how to imagine swinging objects. Find objects in your class that you may remember perfectly & swing them mentally.

Re: New 2 Bates - DaniFixe - 07-05-2010

2extreme when i go walk for i while in days of strong sunshine or cloudy i can't look to the front. I feel a lot of strain and a magnet to the floor. What's wrong with my eyes ? Damm it!

Re: New 2 Bates - 2xtreme2fit - 07-05-2010

DaniFixe Wrote:2extreme when i go walk for i while in days of strong sunshine or cloudy i can't look to the front. I feel a lot of strain and a magnet to the floor. What's wrong with my eyes ? Damm it!

The strain that blurs your vision has made your eyes sensitive to light. Under bright conditions, the strain works overtime. To overcome this sensitiveness, you have to accustom yourself to bright lights - specifically the sun. I'll be posting in detail in another topic so be sure to check it out.

Just for the record, its 2xtreme2fit. ^-^

Re: New 2 Bates - Andrea Major - 07-05-2010

David started calling Palming "palming meditation", that was an awesome eye-opener! Now I would go further and call everything meditation in the Bates method. Even the swinging. If you look into the walking meditation in Mindfullness (used in Psychology), you will see why. Also, what is this nonsense about not reading?? How can anyone know anything about the Bates method without reading at least the book at once. I have read it at least 20 times and still discovering new stuff/and realizing previously misunderstood stuff. I highly doubt success is possible without understanding it. It is simple, but so different then what you believe in about your vision that reading is a must in my opinion. (Unless you have a great teacher who told you and demonstrated everything.)

I did go to school for a year without glasses. I got by, by reading the material ahead and hanging onto every word of the teacher. That way I didn't need to see the blackboard because I knew what he/she was going to write anyways. Being so confident in understanding the material did end up giving me a whole bunch of clear flashes, too (and graduate with straight A's). Once in a blue moon, however, I did end up having to copy my classmate's notes from her workbook. Looking back though, I now think it would have been OK to put the glasses on just once in a while, but it doesn't matter, as long as it doesn't become an immediate impulse reaction...
Despite the many clear flashes I had that year, my eyesight continued to deteriorate at that time That's because I wasn't doing the exercises, I was just hoping for some miracle! So please read and practice, that's just my advice, feel free to disregard though....

Re: New 2 Bates - 2xtreme2fit - 07-06-2010

Andrea Major Wrote:How can anyone know anything about the Bates method without reading the book at once. I have read it at least 20 times and still discovering new stuff/and realizing previously misunderstood stuff.

I agree, its extremely difficult to obtain improvement without reading the book - even 20 times isn't enough, I've read it more than 50 times.

Andrea Major Wrote:Looking back though, I now think it would have been OK to put the glasses on just once in a while, but it doesn't matter, as long as it doesn't become an immediate impulse reaction... That's because I wasn't doing the exercises, I was just hoping for some miracle

That feeling struck me many times during the last year but I have not worn any kind of glasses ever since.