MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
Musings on Vision - Printable Version
Eyesight Improvement Forum
Musings on Vision - Printable Version

+- Eyesight Improvement Forum (https://www.iblindness.org/forum)
+-- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.iblindness.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Bates Method (https://www.iblindness.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: Musings on Vision (/showthread.php?tid=1534)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Re: Musings on Vision - JMartinC4 - 07-21-2010

I predict less than another year or so to permanent clear vision. I'd be happy to 'teach' it - for free. But I don't expect to have the time for that. And I don't even know if it's 'teachable'. A loooong time ago I believed that when it (clear vision flashes/Bates/my theory) was fully understood, it would naturally lead to gradual (re)development of so-called 20/20 - without any conscious effort. Sort of the way normal vision should develop. But that was before I realized the true reason for my myopia: nenonatal eye antibiotics, combined with parents who didn't know anything, one of whom was myopic. All my 3 sisters and 2 brothers are myopic. My mother has perfect vision. My dad needed glasses to drive, etc.
BTW - have you read this from a retired psychiatrist at <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.lowingerpaul.com">http://www.lowingerpaul.com</a><!-- m --> ? It's illuminating, but I think his word 'suddenly' is incorrect, and for a psychiatrist he seems woefully unaware and incurious about this reversal in his relaxed retirement years:
Second Sight in the Ice Paul Lowinger
Suddenly, I could see without the eyeglasses that IÕd used since my teens, about sixty years earlier. I could discard the glasses that I used for movies, theater, sports and driving. It happened as I was cruising the Southern Ocean in the Ice off the coast of Antarctica on a Soviet-era ice breaker with other members of Elderhostel.
Now I could see the roiling waters, the ice floes, seals, birds and whales all without glasses. First, my glasses were off intermittently and then constantly as I discovered that I could distinguish between fellow passengers across the dining room and down the long passageways.
I was always nearsighted; I had myopia. At a distance, faces werenÕt sharp enough to produce certainty. I was able to read without glasses but reading the blackboard in school required corrective lenses, eyeglasses.
I recall my disappointment at the age of twenty when I failed an eye exam for Army Air Corps flight training during World War II. I wasnÕt going to get a officerÕs uniform and wings. Instead, I got sent to basic training in the Field Artillery as a private although laterI got a chance to transfer to premed studies in the Army Specialized Training Program and finally to med school. No opportunity for combat here. Did myopia save my life? Maybe, although not all those who entered flight school became aviators or were shot down.
It was on a tour of Antarctica in 1997 when I discarded my glasses so next year, I will have a seven year cure. Folklore and textbooks both speak of Second Sight as occurring when the blurred vision of an older person becomes normal again. Acuity of vision depends on the ability of the lens controlled by the ciliary muscle to expand and contract in order to focus the image on the retina. The retina sends the image to the brain. If the picture is focused in front of the retina, the blurring is called nearsightedness; if the image focuses behind the retina, it is called farsightedness.
In middle age, a usual development is presbyopia when the lens becomes less flexible and there is some compensation for the focal deficiency of nearsightedness. Myopia plus presbyopia can improve vision. A cataract which is caused by the hardening of the lens may also improve the ability of the nearsighted eye to focus the image just as the shaped lens of the eyeglass does. This isnÕt the usual effect of cataracts which cloud vision. I will ask my eye doctor what caused my second sight since he agrees that I donÕt need glasses now.
So the miracle is a correction of an error of accommodation. But isnÕt the discarding of eyeglasses like the experience of cripple who walks miraculously after a visit to a shrine and abandons the crutches?
IÕve seen heaps of discarded braces and crutches at Ste. Ann de Beaupre in Quebec City and I recall there were eyeglasses too. There must be larger piles at Lourdes. Could the Ice be a natural shrine?
© Paul Lowinger 2003

Re: Musings on Vision - 2xtreme2fit - 07-21-2010

I too wish to teach the method but I'm not a good conversationalist - it takes a lot of time to shape my arguments in a logical, acceptable form.
Also, I get tremblingly nervous whenever I present my opinion fearing ridicule. Ridicule is the most depressing form of opinion suppression.

Re: Musings on Vision - armagdn03 - 07-21-2010

Hello,

I have been on the sight improvement chase now for nearly a week and a half, and last night I watched nearly half of a movie with pretty damn clear vision! 20/30 or so I would say, and I started out with about -4.75 diopters!

It does not always stay for long, and I sat long and hard remembering every moment of how my eyes felt, how I felt, distance to what I was watching and all other variables I could think of, and all in all enjoyed about 45 minutes of clarity.

I am am a very observant person, with great analysis skills (something I work on improving constantly). I believe I can help other Myopes as well, but need to create some photos on photoshop to really demonstrate what I have been working on, and the steps that led me to it. Please bare with me a day or two while I compile the materials.

Re: Musings on Vision - armagdn03 - 07-21-2010

2xtreme2fit Wrote:I too wish to teach the method but I'm not a good conversationalist - it takes a lot of time to shape my arguments in a logical, acceptable form.
Also, I get tremblingly nervous whenever I present my opinion fearing ridicule. Ridicule is the most depressing form of opinion suppression.

I had a friend once who gave me one of the single greatest pieces of advice I have ever heard. Speak with confidence, because you are an expert. If you are not an expert, become one. When you cannot question yourself, others will not question you. If they do, and you are wrong, what a wonderful gift you have been given, for now your path has been illuminated a bit more.

If you simply are not sure, say so, there are many great souls who will come to the aid of those who ask humbly for help.

Re: Musings on Vision - 2xtreme2fit - 07-21-2010

If you don't mind, I suggest you read some of my posts & check if any of my experiences match with yours. If they do, it is likely that other myopes will also experience similar changes in their vision & perhaps it will be easier to narrow down the path to effectively cure myopia.

Re: Musings on Vision - Mzero - 07-22-2010

One of the greatest facts of information that has kind of submerged in the bates method. Well it isn't mentioned very often, maybe once.

Every movement, no matter how slick, has an error of refraction. So you should never seek perfection. People that seek perfection suffer from headaches, and that's not exactly what the Bates Method has in mind. You might notice something by speaking out Perfect Eyesight and after that Normal Eyesight.

I also noted that the ones with success never term themselves as having achieved "Perfect Eyesight". They always say theyr'e back to their old playing-vision again, or that they have no problems anymore. The ones that had good sight all their life seem to be more confident in their sight being Perfect, or at least labeled as such.

To come back to Every Movement having an Error of Refraction. This will let you give some breathing room and forgiveness towards your eyes. Staring is bad because every Force has a Counterforce, so when your eyes are pushed outwards in an attempt to hunt down the object, you get hit right back in the face.

Imagine swinging a sledge hammer and being surprised that you can't keep it in line or it won't "hit back", once you smack it on something. With smaller movements it's less force and error of refraction but it will always be there.

Ok, so not seeking perfection + forgiveness in the nature of counter-movement and force = empty breathing gaps in between. Your eyes will love it, and your teachers even more.

Re: Musings on Vision - JMartinC4 - 07-23-2010

Mzero Wrote:One of the greatest facts of information that has kind of submerged in the bates method. Well it isn't mentioned very often, maybe once. Every movement, no matter how slick, has an error of refraction. ... I also noted that the ones with success never term themselves as having achieved "Perfect Eyesight". They always say theyr'e back to their old playing-vision again, or that they have no problems anymore. The ones that had good sight all their life seem to be more confident in their sight being Perfect, or at least labeled as such. To come back to Every Movement having an Error of Refraction. This will let you give some breathing room and forgiveness towards your eyes. Staring is bad because every Force has a Counterforce, so when your eyes are pushed outwards in an attempt to hunt down the object, you get hit right back in the face. Imagine swinging a sledge hammer and being surprised that you can't keep it in line or it won't "hit back", once you smack it on something. With smaller movements it's less force and error of refraction but it will always be there. Ok, so not seeking perfection + forgiveness in the nature of counter-movement and force = empty breathing gaps in between. Your eyes will love it, and your teachers even more.
Well, Mzero, you have found, for me, another confirmation of my theory. I completely agree with the imperfect movement = errors of refraction, and all movement is imperfect. That would be one reason why the eyes are supposed to be in constant infinitesimal motion. Nearsight fixation disorder/disease is an hypnotic/neurotic condition, which can be formed in the first hours of infancy during the neonatal blur period imposed by the unequal and unsynchronous instillation of eye antibiotics, in which we are forced to focus our minds on nothingness or glare, while attending to our other senses for orientation to the world. When the drug wears off, one eye at a time, leaving no physical trace, the infant is still fixated at the nearpoint. Having been prevented from experiencing normal vision, and soothed into believing that near vision is clear and distance vision is blurry, we are immediately off on the wrong track - mis-aligned and mis-synchronized for distance sight. If our parents and teachers don't know the truth, they can't help us. If they are nearsight-fixated themselves, then our unconscious imitation of them will only make matters worse, not better. Thank you.

Re: Musings on Vision - 2xtreme2fit - 07-23-2010

JMartinC4 Wrote:Well, Mzero, you have found, for me, another confirmation of my theory. I completely agree with the imperfect movement = errors of refraction, and all movement is imperfect. That would be one reason why the eyes are supposed to be in constant infinitesimal motion. Nearsight fixation disease is a near-hypnotic state, formed in the first hours of infancy during the neonatal blur period imposed by the unequal and unsynchronous instillation of eye antibiotics, in which we are forced to focus our minds on nothingness or glare, while attending to our other senses for orientation to the world. When the drug wears off, one eye at a time, leaving no physical trace, the infant is still fixated at the nearpoint. Having been prevented from experiencing normal vision, and soothed into believing that near vision is clear and distance vision is blurry, we are immediately off on the wrong track - mis-aligned and mis-synchronized for distance sight. If our parents and teachers don't know the truth, they can't help us. Thank you.
Oh God, not again! Please use the 'Other Eyesight Topics' forum. I'll have to try not be impolite. Anyways...
Looks like you are finding newer evidence each day to support your theory about those Neonatal Eye Maniacs.
The strain is, as you suggest, encouraged by them so it becomes disturbingly difficult to overcome the trend of accepting blur as normal.
Am I correct?

That sounds correct. Note my edits to the post. Sorry if this is the wrong forum - just responding to Mzero.

I found a funny discussion about the Bates Method. Read it HERE

2xtreme2fit Wrote:I found a funny discussion about the Bates Method. Read it HERE
I didn't look further than the initial link you gave - why is it funny?
From 1982, Thomas Dolby's The Golden Age Of Wireless:
It's poetry in motion
She turned her tender eyes to me
As deep as any ocean
As sweet as any harmony
Mmm - but she blinded me with science
"She blinded me with science!"
And failed me in biology

When I'm dancing close to her
"Blinding me with science - science!"
I can smell the chemicals
"Science!"
"Science!"

Mmm - but it's poetry in motion
And when she turned her eyes to me
As deep as any ocean
As sweet as any harmony
And failed me in geometry

When she's dancing next to me
"Science!"
I can hear machinery
"Science!"

It's poetry in motion
And now she's making love to me
The spheres're in commotion
The elements in harmony
She blinded me with science
"She blinded me with science!"
And hit me with technology

"Good heavens Miss Sakamoto - you're beautiful!"
I -
I don't believe it!
There she goes again!
She's tidied up, and I can't find anything!
All my tubes and wires
And careful notes
And antiquated notions

But! - it's poetry in motion
And when she turned her eyes to me
As deep as any ocean
As sweet as any harmony
"She blinded me with - with science!"
She blinded me with -

Some quotes from the critics from the link I gave :-
Quote:The bates method is ancient history, really. My dad tried it more than ten years ago, and it worsened his sight. Besides, have you read their book? - I have - it claims that sight problems are more imagination than reality, and that you can achieve telescopic sight and see the rings of saturn with the naked eye if you practice their method. I leave people to judge such claims for themselves. A physical distortion of the eyeball is hardly 'imagination'.
Quote:This method was instrumental in causing damage to my father's eyes. In addition, they also made some rather tall claims in their book about gaining super telescopic vision that could see the rings of Saturn with the naked eye, which I found ridiculous. If you read the book and DIDN'T find these claims ridiculous - well then, I guess you have the faith that moveth the mountains and giveth sight to the blind, indeed.
If it works for you, I'm glad, however, my father did try the entire bates method twice, six months apart, and each time, his eyesight actually deteriorated. As such that gives me the creeps, sorry.
Quote:Hahahahahhahhaha, me_boxer_dude and I can really think on the same lines sometimes. To my shame, I got to admit that the 'lure' of having superman-like vision was too strong when I was a kid, and I've actually tried the Bates method myself, hehe (I was a kid, you hear me, a kid Tongue ) - nope, didn't work, I still have the same ol 'human' vision, arrghhh. Even better than the telescopic would have been heat-vision, hehehehe!!. Yup, the bates method has been around that long, and my dad used to have the book lying around the house.
But then when I was a kid I was pretty gullible - I thought I could fly by jumping off a building and flapping my hands real fast ROFL - good thing I didn't try that one Tongue
Quote:So let's see - what's been said here, basically, is that there was no improvement in sight because I lacked understanding.
That if only I had 'the understanding' I would be able to see the rings of saturn with the naked eye??? You forget, I read the book, and it's partly BECAUSE of outlandish claims like that that I think it's fake.
As for your statement on lacking understanding - it's fascinating. This to a person who was understanding books on astronomy at the age of six; who maxes most I.Q. tests, and has mastered the intense meditations and complex physical techniques of seven martial arts.
I'm willing to look at the Bates method again, but if at a younger age I recognized it to be fake... what I think is that the Bates method WAS A WAY TO MAKE MONEY - for Bates and his original publisher. It's that simple.
Quote:So my eye problem is in my imagination? That is funny the doctor has always been telling me its because my eye isn't the right shape! Damn that doctor! I'm suing because he is the one that caused my eyesight to be blurry! Wink
Seriously who could ever believe that? Besides there is no way we could ever see the rings of Saturn! Of course I believe there is at least some truth to these things because relieving strain on your eyes will eventually have a positive effect on your eyesight. It's known that having bad eyes and going on without correct will put strain on your eyes that will make them worse. So, consequently putting less strain on your eyes will at best make them better but will most likely only allow them not to become worse. So it would be a good thing to practice but I would never expect a result like being able to see the rings with only my eyes.

Still not funny. I'll bet not one of those deep thinkers is aware of neonatal eye antibiotics, or fully considered their deleterious, latent effects. Again, my contention is that without an understanding of a root cause, nearsight-fixation disorder/disease is almost impossible to reverse - Bates Methodology notwithstanding. We can alleviate it, but the true reversal, which I believe I am on the path to, requires that I know what I am actually trying to overcome: a self-perpetuating hypnotic illusion or trance, imposed on me at birth. Diabolical.

Suit yourself. I enjoy it & probably you would too had your problem been different (less critical). Still, I feel you should lighten up.
BTW, if you think that Bates Methodology is not withstanding then perhaps you are not looking to cure yourself through it.
Instead, you are looking to find a different cure which suits your interpretation of eyesight problems, right?
I guess it leaves only one person for you to consult for your eyes : yourself.

No, I have sought the answer to clear vision flashes for 35 years. I found Dr. Bates' methodology five years after experiencing a flash. I have been practicing it ever since. Not until the past year did I discover a possible new-to-me root cause, and that discovery has produced incredible improvements in the flashes and their duration and my control over them. I credit Bates Methodology with helping me get a foot onto the right path, but the neonatal blur theory now has me running toward permanent clear vision. Enjoy it? I love it. BTW - have you asked your parents if you received the eye treatments?