MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
Musings on Vision - Printable Version
Eyesight Improvement Forum
Musings on Vision - Printable Version

+- Eyesight Improvement Forum (https://www.iblindness.org/forum)
+-- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.iblindness.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Bates Method (https://www.iblindness.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: Musings on Vision (/showthread.php?tid=1534)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Re: Musings on Vision - Mzero - 08-15-2010

I wanna see this forum come to life.

Re: Musings on Vision - armagdn03 - 09-14-2010

Hello,

I am sorry for not having posted in a bit, I have had to draw my attention elsewhere.

I have at this point, improved my vision by what I would estimate to be 50 percent or two diopters.

I will explain my view or distortion on what I believe is my situation, and perhaps it will pertain to your life.

First I spend plenty of time in front of books and the computer, this is inevitable with our system of schooling, and accomplishment of "work". From a young age I felt that it was important to learn to read faster. Being able to absorb information more quickly meant I would be "better" than my peers. this invariably led me to stop focusing on points, and start focusing on area. Many myopes may notice that they do not notice individual parts of a letter, let alone single points, rather they view the entire word as a single entity at any one instance. Think about the ramifications of this....

1) In order to view the entire word, you need to "zoom out" from the act of central fixation to be able to attempt the impossible feat of fitting the entire area of the word into your focal plane.
2) You are in essence shifting your plane of focus to an area in front of the word you are trying to view, (much like "staring off into space") and forgetting to use central fixation.
3) This causes your brain to devote attention to a much larger area of the focal plane of the optic nerve. Where the eye is designed to have clear vision only at one point, and this is naturally what your brain pays attention to; you have now started to use an area rather than a point, forcing the brain to give extra attention to an area of the focal plane of the optic nerve which CANNOT have clear vision. You can only have clear vision at a point, using the periphery of this point will inevitably result in poor vision because you are biologically unable to see clearly here. Yet if your attention lies in this area rather than a point, you will notice that you see the world in a blur.

If you follow central fixation, you will quite simply no longer pay attention to the blur of the periphery, and only focus on the point of central fixation for which your optic nerve was designed.

It would seem that reading, (among other things) causes one to focus at a point in front of a the intended target, and causes the mind to focus on an incorrect area on the focal nerve.

I have also noticed that our two eyes, are quite independent creatures. It is important to exercise each individually, and shy away from one dominating the other, but I will go into this more at another time.

I hope this is helpful, and I will be more involved in this discussion.

Re: Musings on Vision - armagdn03 - 09-14-2010

By the way this is a rather humorous rant on the shortcomings of the method....

Quote:So let's see - what's been said here, basically, is that there was no improvement in sight because I lacked understanding.
That if only I had 'the understanding' I would be able to see the rings of saturn with the naked eye??? You forget, I read the book, and it's partly BECAUSE of outlandish claims like that that I think it's fake.
As for your statement on lacking understanding - it's fascinating. This to a person who was understanding books on astronomy at the age of six; who maxes most I.Q. tests, and has mastered the intense meditations and complex physical techniques of seven martial arts.
I'm willing to look at the Bates method again, but if at a younger age I recognized it to be fake... what I think is that the Bates method WAS A WAY TO MAKE MONEY - for Bates and his original publisher. It's that simple.

Mastered intense meditation??? I assume this individual has reached an enlightened state. :Smile Being of such high IQ one would think that he would realize that ability is not intrinsically related to absolute and immediate understanding. Many smart individuals do not understand many things, or misinterpret. Not to say that they cannot understand, simply that they have not devoted the time and positive energy towards understanding.

Always need to laugh in life!

Re: Musings on Vision - DaniFixe - 09-18-2010

He is back! Good! You point to a detail that i never think,reading very fast was cause of myopia. I always thought it was normal...but i see is another problem related to my bad eyesight.
About central fixation,after reading a lot and seeing a couple of videos i think now that i understood how it works (i hope). Yesterday i sit in a front of an apple. Starting to divide in 4 dots (up,down,left,right) then focusing on 1 of those 4 dots and dividing in another dots,but nothing different on my vision has happen. I said to my eyes to focus on a small dot,but seems that my focus feel like running from there and create a lot of disconfort for me.I don't feel power over my focus in small areas.

Re: Musings on Vision - Andrea Major - 09-18-2010

Reading doesn't cause myopia. If reading caused any problems with the sight it would have to be hypermetropia (farsightedness) rather than shortshightedness. Myopia is caused by straining to see at the distance. It would be more helpful to think of myopia as simply another form of amblyopia (general weak vision) with an advantage. The advantage is that the sight is still quite perfect at the near point. Reading, actually, the faster it can be done, the smaller the letters and the dimmer the light, is very beneficial for the sight because it is impossible to do without the use of central fixation. The letters, words read appear to be seen all alike not because of eccentric fixation but because of an illusion of the mind. Do the words seen all alike appear quite sharp and black? That is proof of the existence of central fixation. As Bates describes it, there are two illusions that take place: 1. only a small area regarded is seen best at once, 2. the shifts of the eyes are so rapid that the image of small areas appear to be seen all alike. If there were no shifts, if the eye "defocused" as in the phenomenon of eccentric fixation, the words seen would be blurry, the black print would appear grey and impossible to make out.

Blaming reading or any of our methods of reading for our vision troubles is actually 18th Century Opthalmology and has been disproven by Bates and others for quite a while now. The theories created around it are quite interesting, including this newest one by armagdn03 but I am afraid are terribly wrong....
In fact, I believe, it is important to encourage people to keep reading (without glasses, of course), even if they are unable to do anything else for their vision, as that may be the one thing that will preserve their eyesight for a long time to come.

Thanks,
Andrea

Re: Musings on Vision - armagdn03 - 10-04-2010

Andrea Major Wrote:Reading doesn't cause myopia. If reading caused any problems with the sight it would have to be hypermetropia (farsightedness) rather than shortshightedness. Myopia is caused by straining to see at the distance. It would be more helpful to think of myopia as simply another form of amblyopia (general weak vision) with an advantage. The advantage is that the sight is still quite perfect at the near point. Reading, actually, the faster it can be done, the smaller the letters and the dimmer the light, is very beneficial for the sight because it is impossible to do without the use of central fixation. The letters, words read appear to be seen all alike not because of eccentric fixation but because of an illusion of the mind. Do the words seen all alike appear quite sharp and black? That is proof of the existence of central fixation. As Bates describes it, there are two illusions that take place: 1. only a small area regarded is seen best at once, 2. the shifts of the eyes are so rapid that the image of small areas appear to be seen all alike. If there were no shifts, if the eye "defocused" as in the phenomenon of eccentric fixation, the words seen would be blurry, the black print would appear grey and impossible to make out.

Blaming reading or any of our methods of reading for our vision troubles is actually 18th Century Opthalmology and has been disproven by Bates and others for quite a while now. The theories created around it are quite interesting, including this newest one by armagdn03 but I am afraid are terribly wrong....
In fact, I believe, it is important to encourage people to keep reading (without glasses, of course), even if they are unable to do anything else for their vision, as that may be the one thing that will preserve their eyesight for a long time to come.

Thanks,
Andrea

I am afraid I have to disagree with your assessment (And agree partially with what you have written). Much of what is taught about reading quickly involves "scanning" or attempting to take in and acknowledge multiple words, sentences, and even paragraphs at one instance. This once fell into a sect of "speed readers" but it is now taught in some school districts, This is coupled with learning new symbols, scripts both near and at the black board across the room. Here is an interesting couple quotes from Dr. Bate's book

Quote:"I have made many dogs myopic by inducing them to strain to see a distant object. One very nervous dog, with normal refraction, as demonstrated by the retinoscope, was allowed to smell a piece of meat. He became very much excited, pricked up his ears, arched his eyebrows and wagged his tail. The meat was then removed to a distance of twenty feet. The dog looked disappointed, but didn't lose interest. While he was watching the meat it was dropped into a box. A worried look came into his eyes. He strained to see what had become of it, and the retinoscope showed that he had become myopic."
from "THE CURE OF IMPERFECT SIGHT BY TREATMENT WITHOUT GLASSES" CHAPTER IX

And another good one here,

Quote:Children with normal eyes who can read perfectly small letters a quarter of an inch high at ten feet always have trouble in reading strange writing on the blackboard, although the letters may be two inches high. A strange map, or any map, has the same effect. I have never seen a child, or a teacher, who could look at a map at the distance without becoming nearsighted. German type has been accused of being responsible for much of the poor sight once supposed to be peculiarly a German malady; but if a German child attempts to read Roman print, it will at once become temporarily hypermetropic. German print, or Greek or Chinese characters, will have the same effect on a child, or other person, accustomed to Roman letters. Cohn repudiated the idea that German lettering was trying to the eyes.(1) On the contrary, he always found it "pleasant, after a long reading of the monotonous Roman print, to return 'to our beloved German."' Because the German characters were more familiar to him than any others he found them restful to his eyes. "Use," as he truly observed, "has much to do with the matter." Children learning to read, write, draw, or sew, always suffer from defective vision, because of the unfamiliarity of the lines or objects with which they are working.

Modern children ARE shifting in reading, however they are focusing in Areas over their shift in an effort to read faster rather than over finite points. There was a brief "trend" towards what are called "Montessori" based programs, or what could be called hands on curriculum, which invariably led to improved vision amung its students, because teaching was approached differently, students were encouraged to take a dynamic approach to investigation, moving around objects, viewing them from whatever angles they wished, manipulating they first hand, rather than a static approach of sitting still and rigid from a distance. A quote from Better eyesight: the complete magazines of William H. Bates By Thomas R. Quackenbush

Quote:The fundamental reason, both for poor memory and poor eyesight in schoolchildren, in short, is our irrational and unnatural educational system. Montessori has taught us that it is only when children are interested that they can learn. it is equally true that it is only when they are interested that they can see.

"Education and myopia

A number of studies have shown that the incidence of myopia increases with level of education[90][93] and many studies[97] have shown a correlation between myopia and IQ, likely due to the confounding factor of formal education."

^ Mark Rosenfield, Bernard Gilmartin (1998). Myopia and nearwork. Elsevier Health Sciences. p. 23.
^ Mavracanas TA, Mandalos A, Peios D, et al. (December 2000). "Prevalence of myopia in a sample of Greek students".
^Sperduto RD, Seigel D, Roberts J, Rowland M (March 1983). "Prevalence of myopia in the United States". Arch. Ophthalmol.

The above quote shows another interesting correlation which shows a correlation between a learning style, success in the classroom or dominant mode of thought (IQ testing) and poor eyesight. This is a stretch from the evidence presented, but there are many studies for the curious equating socioeconomic status, to IQ, to eyesight, to athletic ability etc..... Be careful at how you interpret data however, these only show perceived correlations, not modes of change.

Re: Musings on Vision - Andrea Major - 10-08-2010

Hi Armageddon,

Simply put again, You are Wrong! You are confusing Reading/Learning To Read with the Educational System/Process. One has almost nothing to do with the other, other than the fact that usually people learn to read in school, where the Educational Process takes place...
None of the excerpts you have gathered from Bates support your theories about the evil effects of reading. You need to read the book again and some of the articles to get it. But don't feel bad, most people misunderstand the method, unfortunately. It is so different from what we believe in, that it is almost impossible at the first read to really pay attention to what he is saying. If your only purpose of reading his work is to try to prove a preconceived notion, you will fail at understanding what it is all about. All that crap about the relaxation, memory and imagination is what it is all about - the part most people like to just skip over at first... (I was also guilty of it for a long time until I decided to dedicate at least 6 months of my life to try to understand and learn with an open mind, every single day. I still cannot say I fully understand, but I can say I am now beginning to and that I will really need to put in more time and patience, not because it is necessary for my cure, but because it is one of the most interesting thing I have come across in my life... Also, I was once a victim of some stupid book that totally misrepresented Bates's work... )
Anyhow, I really should not care about what you think. I just wish that you don't go around town, telling people that you understand the Bates Method and that they should stop reading books to preserve their vision, because:
#1 You are misrepresenting the Bates Method
#2 young people are especially very vulnerable and their career choices/successes could be influenced by such statements

It is OK for you to admit that the method is working but you have no clue why. Most people don't understand it and can still succeed with it. In fact, you can believe in some very crazy things and still improve your eyesight at the same time, because it is all about visual confidence...

If you have any questions, that you are sincerely searching answers to, I would be happy to try to answer them...

Re: Musings on Vision - JMartinC4 - 10-08-2010

People usually learn to read at home. Mom and/or Dad sit with the child, holding a book much too close, and at an incorrect angle, reading aloud and encouraging the child to follow along and participate. Children imitate everything. They follow their leaders. When Mom and Dad don't have good eyesight or vision habits to being with, the problem is confounded for the nearpoint fixated or tendencied child. If reading isn't balanced with outdoors time and instruction/leadership, either the child's visual abilities will suffer, or if the opposite - not much reading but a lot of outdoors, then the child's educational abilities will suffer. It is a diabolical catch-22 conundrum. It didn't use to be that way. Smart people didn't use to almost always become 'myopic'; athletic outdoorsy people weren't almost always under-educated. Both eyes used to work well together. We didn't use to almost always have one eye with much worse vision than the other eye.

Re: Musings on Vision - armagdn03 - 10-11-2010

Andrea Major Wrote:Hi Armageddon,

Simply put again, You are Wrong! You are confusing Reading/Learning To Read with the Educational System/Process. One has almost nothing to do with the other, other than the fact that usually people learn to read in school, where the Educational Process takes place...
None of the excerpts you have gathered from Bates support your theories about the evil effects of reading. You need to read the book again and some of the articles to get it. But don't feel bad, most people misunderstand the method, unfortunately. It is so different from what we believe in, that it is almost impossible at the first read to really pay attention to what he is saying. If your only purpose of reading his work is to try to prove a preconceived notion, you will fail at understanding what it is all about. All that crap about the relaxation, memory and imagination is what it is all about - the part most people like to just skip over at first... (I was also guilty of it for a long time until I decided to dedicate at least 6 months of my life to try to understand and learn with an open mind, every single day. I still cannot say I fully understand, but I can say I am now beginning to and that I will really need to put in more time and patience, not because it is necessary for my cure, but because it is one of the most interesting thing I have come across in my life... Also, I was once a victim of some stupid book that totally misrepresented Bates's work... )
Anyhow, I really should not care about what you think. I just wish that you don't go around town, telling people that you understand the Bates Method and that they should stop reading books to preserve their vision, because:
#1 You are misrepresenting the Bates Method
#2 young people are especially very vulnerable and their career choices/successes could be influenced by such statements

It is OK for you to admit that the method is working but you have no clue why. Most people don't understand it and can still succeed with it. In fact, you can believe in some very crazy things and still improve your eyesight at the same time, because it is all about visual confidence...

If you have any questions, that you are sincerely searching answers to, I would be happy to try to answer them...

I believe your last post got me off on a tangent which did not align with my original postulate which was that bad vision habits can be seen through the act of reading, not that reading in and of itself its the cause of bad vision habits. Many acts can be done incorrectly to result in a poor outcome for perpetrator. Take for example typing. Correct typing posture dictates a horizontal line be made between the forearm and the hand, that minimal angle be present. Having "lazy wrists" places increase in strain on the tendons and protective tissue which connect the musculature of the forearm to each of the fingers. Typing with to large an angle to either side (depends on the individual, and considering other variables) will cause the well known disorder known as "carpel tunnel" syndrome. Is it correct to say that typing causes carpel tunnel??? No.

Is it correct to say that incorrect typing causes carpel tunnel? Perhaps.

Much of our developmental years are spent in a learning system which should ideally teach us how to learn. The prevailing dogma being observational method based around "sit still and listen" rather than the dynamic interactive approach of apprenticeship, Montessori, "tribal knowledge" etc. Do you not find it interesting the amount of stress Bates places on dynamics? One movement? On reducing the tendency to sit still, or stare?

To view an area and take it all in at once is not a dynamic event, to view multiple points in a scanning motion, always using central fixation, brings the visual event into the time domain, making it a time lapse event with duration rather than simply a static event fixed in time.

The diffuse vision people get when they are not using their ocular capabilities correctly is very much entwined with observational method, as people use their senses as observational tools. To that extent, to say that poor reading habits is the cause of bad vision, or bad vision the cause of poor reading rabbits is a divisionist tactic. Perhaps the exist simultaneously, two facets of the same event. In fact, when image software engineers create filters like "diffuse" what they do is take individual points or "pixels" of data, containing a coordinate location (single point in space) and extrapolate an area out of it while maintaining the restricted dimensions of the image. This causes pixel areas to overlap, blurring definite edges, corners and defining features. In fact the very process of doing so is making an "eccentric" (meaning about a different center) area for each pixel, so that each point becomes many.

Now, to several of your most ill construed points....

"your theories about the evil effects of reading"
"I just wish that you don't go around town, telling people that you understand the Bates Method and that they should stop reading books to preserve their vision"

First I never stated that I understood the bates method. We all have our own distorted understandings. I stated at the beginning of this thread that I had just started a short while back.

Second Both of these quotes paint pictures vastly different from anything I have ever posted. I never touted the evils of reading, nor encouraged a single soul to stop reading. I stated, bad vision habits could be seen in bad reading habits. This was a premeditated choice of topics because many people spend a large portion of their day in front of reading material, and it allows them an opportunity to practice correct vision and central fixation while "doing what they do". I have also never said to

To my last point. If you believe someone is incorrect, Encourage their growth. Help them see their error, and offer a more sound view. It is a ridiculous idea to simply state that they are wrong, offer no relevant competing view, place words into their mouths, and then finish up with a saintly offer to help them if they come to you. Please take your leave unless you wish to discuss in a proper manor.

Re: Musings on Vision - JMartinC4 - 10-11-2010

Smile 8) O0 Smile Wink :
armagdn03 Wrote:... Both of these quotes paint pictures vastly different from anything I have ever posted. I never touted the evils of reading, nor encouraged a single soul to stop reading. I stated, bad vision habits could be seen in bad reading habits. This was a premeditated choice of topics because many people spend a large portion of their day in front of reading material, and it allows them an opportunity to practice correct vision and central fixation while "doing what they do". I have also never said to ... To my last point. If you believe someone is incorrect, Encourage their growth. Help them see their error, and offer a more sound view. It is a ridiculous idea to simply state that they are wrong, offer no relevant competing view, place words into their mouths, and then finish up with a saintly offer to help them if they come to you. Please take your leave unless you wish to discuss in a proper manor.
Smile 8) O0 Smile Wink You Go, armagdn03!!

Re: Musings on Vision - Andrea Major - 10-14-2010

So let's recap what has been achieved here:
1. An admission that you don't fully understand the method
2. A slight shift in opinion, from the idea "reading causing loss of central fixation" to "reading could cause loss of central fixation"
3. JMartinC4 got his personal satisfaction that at least one other person on this forum wishes I would go fly a kite!! ;-)

Highly amusing!
Anyhow, what is wrong with stating someone is wrong? (I wish people would be honest with me once in a while when I am wrong and told me so... is that a perverted wish for a person to have?!) I didn't bring up any competing views as you call them, because I got the impression that you are in a state-of-mind only able to share ideas and not take in anything. (Based on the direction of this whole entire post...I could be wrong about this, but this is just what I perceived) Also, you gathered quite a fan-base, and people were ready to believe anything you said, and I thought that was dangerous for their own understanding... I wanted to provoke you to go back to the book and some of the articles and read. It is an amazing read and you will get more and more out of it the more times you read it. Also, I cannot, in a reasonable amount of time explain here what it is all about, but if you had any specific questions, I would love to try to answer them, and so would others. But let me just say this much: Bates speaks highly about reading. He also says that it is almost impossible to ruin the eyesight with any mechanical action. It is always only a strain that causes the blur. If someone reads and is successful (the letters and words form thoughts in their minds), it is a gratifying event for the mind and always improves the vision, no matter what technique is being used (fast, slow, even if you skip or scan). Seeing whole words all at once is not a lack of central fixation. It is a result of a double illusion, first of the eye and the mind...I think I wrote this down already but got no sign whether you paid attention to it (either disagree, agree, or want more info...)
Because we are so familiar with the alphabet and written language, reading is easy, it activates the imagination (because of the almost perfect memory most people have of the image of the 26 letters.) and it cannot ruin the eyes. Now on the other hand, looking at an unfamiliar language, especially where unfamiliar characters are used, can quickly make a person myopic or hypermetropic, because there is no memory of the characters, the imagination is no longer able to help the vision, causing a strain and a lowering of the vision....
Is this better? I am giving so much away now...