MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
Terminology: Nearsight-Fixation Disease versus Myopia - Printable Version
Eyesight Improvement Forum
Terminology: Nearsight-Fixation Disease versus Myopia - Printable Version

+- Eyesight Improvement Forum (https://www.iblindness.org/forum)
+-- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.iblindness.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Complementary Methods (https://www.iblindness.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: Terminology: Nearsight-Fixation Disease versus Myopia (/showthread.php?tid=1536)

Terminology: Nearsight-Fixation Disease versus Myopia - JMartinC4 - 07-21-2010

I have decided that I do not technically have myopia or nearsightedness - because that condition. as it is currently scientifically defined, denies that I could ever have had a true flash of clear distance vision, because my eyeballs are too long and my eye lenses are not flat enough and I cannot control either of those factors. Thus myopia is an irreversible organic condition, probably genetically-determined.
So, since I know that I have in fact had many instances of clear distance vision, and am gaining more and more control over my eyesight, I actually have nearsight-fixation disease: My eyes tend to fixate at the nearpoint for some reason, and they fixate unequally at that.
:Smile Wink

Re: Terminology: Nearsight-Fixation Disease versus Myopia - Nancy - 07-22-2010

Good re-framing. Just the loosening of "my myopia" to "this myopia pattern I sometimes exhibit" can start people moving toward a more natural and healthy way of using their eyes. Give yourself a label and you'll live to that self-definition.

Re: Terminology: Nearsight-Fixation Disease versus Myopia - David - 07-22-2010

I think even better would be wording that implies that it's something you do rather than something you have. I like the word 'disorder' in this context, because that word sounds mutable, and people are somewhat familiar with the idea of psychological disorders that seem to take over a person but really have no basis in reality but habit, or in other words there's no organic thing causing it.

Dave