MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
Most terrifying thing - Printable Version
Eyesight Improvement Forum
Most terrifying thing - Printable Version

+- Eyesight Improvement Forum (https://www.iblindness.org/forum)
+-- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.iblindness.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Bates Method (https://www.iblindness.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: Most terrifying thing (/showthread.php?tid=1563)

Pages: 1 2

Most terrifying thing - ailpin - 08-18-2010

So I had recently failed my DMV vision test.

I went to an optometrist who tested my eyes. He discovered I have -3D myopia. But he didn't give info on astigmatism or anything like that. Which I likely have given my family history. My mother has presbyopia, my father is perfect vision, my sister has questionable perfect sight, my paternal grandmother and her family have a large occurrence of astigmatism and what not, my maternal family also has large amounts of astigmatism and other conditions)

He said that given I had -3D myopia it would have been in about Gr.8 that my vision went, since I am now going to Gr.12, he was right. I had never really said anything about my vision problems to my parents because I thought it would go away if I rested enough or ate healthy. But it didn't. My distance vision never bugged me. Even at -3D I could and can still function properly (in athletics and the like).

So my glasses are now being made/ordered as I type this.

I really want to be able to restore my sight to as best as possible naturally.

I've read about the Bates method, Plus lens therapy, etc. My optometrist said that the Bates method was dangerous because of the sun gazing and what not. He didn't say anything about the Plus lens therapy. I would really like to return my vision back to a range were glasses would not be needed. As of now, I need glasses for distance like driving and reading the chalk board. I've also looked at Orthokeratology, but as I've read on the internet is that contacts of any kind are bad for the eyes.

But as the title of the thread, my experience at the optometrist was very scary, all these machines and things looking at my eyes or flashing lights at my eyes and what not.

Thanks,
Ailpín

Re: Most terrifying thing - JMartinC4 - 08-18-2010

Ailpin - Ask your optometrist about neonatal eye antibiotics. Ask him if, instead of 'myopia', you might be suffering from 'nearpoint fixation disorder'. That is a condition wherein under unconscious stress you revert to holding onto or 'fixating' at the nearpoint because as a minutes-old infant in the hospital your normal eyesight was rendered an unequal and unequally-timed blur for an hour or more (the second eye gets treated a few seconds or more later, and was probably pinched open in order to put the second treatment in - the pinching may be the root cause of the astigmatism). And, while you were made functionally blind (20/400) by the antibiotic ointment, before it wore off you would have had to rely on surrounding sounds and sensations to orient yourself, as your normal 20/20 or better eyesight was necessarily 'fixated' on the blur. Also you were being soothed by everyone including your mother/parents during that time. Since your parents were probably not told the truth of this procedure, they could not consciously help you out of it. The end result is an imprinted, ingrained memory of blur as a 'good' thing, and later on under the stress of normal development, that latent memory reasserts itself. Good luck!
Smile

Re: Most terrifying thing - Ares - 08-18-2010

In comparison to Lasik, Intralase or even PRK, Sunning is much safer.
According to that logic, All Africans must be blind... You know any African with perfect vision? Exactly...
But i will be honest. Bates' method is not just dangerous, but lethal, for the Billion dollar industry that dosen't care if you suffer, as long they have the money coming.

You are a smart guy. You proved that by coming here. That means you search from all prespectatives and points of view. So, really, how much did your glasses cured you? Exactly....

Anywhere heard of someone getting weaker glasses without developing another condition? Exactly again...

You will only hear Bate's Followers getting weaker glasses. So only Bates' follower can be cured.
NO! Having you current prescription impaled on your eyes for ever is not cure.
Such dreadfull operations with much more dreaded side effects, heaved to be illegal!

So, welcome aboard!
I wont give you a candy, but a black coffee. And i will speak the truth, If you choose to walk that path, most of the people you know, would be against you. Parents, wifes, girlfriends, your boss at work, almost every one. And to be honest, the whole society will look you like crazy or alien of some short.

Be ready for that. I know i sound like an @ss, but this is what I and i guess many others face every single day.
But al least there is a place to call home. And is this forum.

Re: Most terrifying thing - ailpin - 08-18-2010

Ares Wrote:In comparison to Lasik, Intralase or even PRK, Sunning is much safer.
According to that logic, All Africans must be blind... You know any African with perfect vision? Exactly...
But i will be honest. Bates' method is not just dangerous, but lethal, for the Billion dollar industry that dosen't care if you suffer, as long they have the money coming.

You are a smart guy. You proved that by coming here. That means you search from all prespectatives and points of view. So, really, how much did your glasses cured you? Exactly....

Anywhere heard of someone getting weaker glasses without developing another condition? Exactly again...

You will only hear Bate's Followers getting weaker glasses. So only Bates' follower can be cured.
NO! Having you current prescription impaled on your eyes for ever is not cure.
Such dreadfull operations with much more dreaded side effects, heaved to be illegal!

So, welcome aboard!
I wont give you a candy, but a black coffee. And i will speak the truth, If you choose to walk that path, most of the people you know, would be against you. Parents, wifes, girlfriends, your boss at work, almost every one. And to be honest, the whole society will look you like crazy or alien of some short.

Be ready for that. I know i sound like an @ss, but this is what I and i guess many others face every single day.
But al least there is a place to call home. And is this forum.

Hey JMartinC4, I'll ask him about those neonatal drops.

Hey Ares, thank you!

I've read about the natural methods for along time now. So every test I went through I questioned. I questioned the toxic drug the put in your eyes to paralyze your pupils. I questioned everything.

Once I get my glasses I'm going to order a lower power online from the linked websites around the forums here.

By not getting lenses for 3 years I've saved my vision according to a website that stated that without correction the unassisted nearsighted eye seldom gets below -3D.

I'm ready to walk down this path. I'm used to people be against me or looking at me like I'm crazy. I get enough of that at the gym where I train. I don't care what people think in all honesty.

You don't sound like an @ss, you're telling it like it is. I prefer that. I don't like fancy ways of communicating.

Ailpín

Re: Most terrifying thing - Nancy - 08-18-2010

When you get the -3D pair, only wear them when you really need them, maybe for driving. For the computer you should use something weaker, or no glasses at all if you can look without straining. Pay attention to when and how you're straining your vision -- one of the main problems with glasses is that they hide that from you, so you keep it up and your vision just gets more strained and then you need stronger glasses. You're going in the other healthier direction.

Re: Most terrifying thing - ailpin - 08-18-2010

Nancy Wrote:When you get the -3D pair, only wear them when you really need them, maybe for driving. For the computer you should use something weaker, or no glasses at all if you can look without straining. Pay attention to when and how you're straining your vision -- one of the main problems with glasses is that they hide that from you, so you keep it up and your vision just gets more strained and then you need stronger glasses. You're going in the other healthier direction.

I will do.

When he was using the phoropter I was getting a headache with the lenses.

I really am not looking forward to wearing lenses for driving. Or any activity when I am clearly functional without glasses.

Ailpín

Re: Most terrifying thing - JMartinC4 - 08-18-2010

Doctors and lawyers and op-thal-mol-o-gists
Dentists and preachers and eye antibiotics
Corporate politicians dancing on strings -
Those are a few of my most terrifying things!
Big Grin

Re: Most terrifying thing - ailpin - 08-19-2010

My father asked if I would choose the natural route for vision once I got my lenses.

My mother said she didn't want me doing them.

I'm ready to practice the Bates Method! >Big Grin

Ailpín

Re: Most terrifying thing - ailpin - 08-31-2010

So it turns out my father supports me in my natural methods my mother doesn't. Ah well at least there is one person in my household supporting me. My mother is getting me contacts and the whole bit. I really don't like the way the glasses (and I include contacts with this) make me perceive things. I feel trapped behind the glasses I'm always aware they are on my face when I need them for driving and such. I even noticed after 10 minutes of wearing the glasses my sight got slightly worse but once I relaxed it was fine. I even tested my vision when I came back from vacation it was 20/200. But as soon as I got stressed out by being back home in the smog of things it slipped back again.

I need help...

Ailpín

Re: Most terrifying thing - Pikachu - 08-31-2010

What kind of help do you need? Are you trying palming or shifting or any of the Bates method "exercises" (<--a misnomer, but I don't know what else to call them) yet?

Re: Most terrifying thing - ailpin - 08-31-2010

Pikachu Wrote:What kind of help do you need? Are you trying palming or shifting or any of the Bates method "exercises" (<--a misnomer, but I don't know what else to call them) yet?

Well I need help grasping the swinging thing. Palming, blinking and shifting are my favourite "exercises" (blinking and shifting is well more like something naturally occurring in a emmetropic person).

I also need some advice on what to do with the glasses & contacts, my optometrist told me to wear them all day (I just got them today). I left the place with them on but took them off. It didn't feel natural I had bad balance and everything was noticeably smaller. I ned glasses/contacts for distance, but not near should I find a plus lens to wear over my contacts for reading? Or should I order weaker contacts and glasses to aid in myopia reversal?

Sorry if what I wrote is all over the place lots is on my mind,
Ailpín

Re: Most terrifying thing - sorrisiblue - 09-01-2010

ailpin Wrote:So it turns out my father supports me in my natural methods my mother doesn't. Ah well at least there is one person in my household supporting me. My mother is getting me contacts and the whole bit. I really don't like the way the glasses (and I include contacts with this) make me perceive things. I feel trapped behind the glasses I'm always aware they are on my face when I need them for driving and such. I even noticed after 10 minutes of wearing the glasses my sight got slightly worse but once I relaxed it was fine. I even tested my vision when I came back from vacation it was 20/200. But as soon as I got stressed out by being back home in the smog of things it slipped back again.

I need help...

Ailpín

Alpin - what you wrote above is important, don't ignore these feelings of discomfort and being trapped. Give what you wrote above to your parents to read. also, please read and give them the following:

about the sun:
your opthalmologist is concerned about sun gazing with the eyes open. This is commonly misunderstood and not what Bates recommended as a practice as part of his method. He recommended closing the eyes and turning the head gently in sunshine. This is something everyone does naturally on the beach because it feels good. If you follow it with palming it is very restful. People get confused on this (sun gazing) part because in his book, Bates describes how patients of his looked at the sun directly and a few improved their sight by this means. This information was meant to remove fear of the sunshine, a far cry from recommending people to look directly at it. It is also not representative of the thousands of people he helped using other means. He didn't recommend looking directly at the sun, he recommended reducing light sensitivity. Often, this is simply achieved by spending more time outdoors. He published 10 years of magazines after the publication of his book. In these, if he recommends a sun treatment, he teaches first to reduce light sensitivity by the closed eye sunning described above. Remember, the Bates method is based on learning to use the eyes properly, in particular learning central fixation! The whole sunning thing gets blown way out of proportion.

I have improved my eyesight a lot with the Bates method and my biggest advice to you is to GET A TEACHER. I started with -8 glasses and -0.5 astigmatism in each eye. Now I do almost everything without any glasses. I use -3 when needed. I taught myself, so it is possible, but realized later that I could have actually benefited much faster with the help of a teacher. Not just one group lesson as is common, but multiple one on one lessons.

Maybe 6-8 lesslons like this will cost about 300 dollars, but put this into perspective what you are getting. The teacher will be able to quickly evaluate what works best for you, and what you should practice first (1 to 6 weeks). To get the equivalent teaching yourself will take reading multiple books and trying a lot of things that don't work in order to find what does work (about a year). As your vision improves, the teacher will modify what you practice. The teacher can also demonstrate how this works to both you and your mother, which I am sure will win your mother's support within 30 minutes. Most teachers offer full money back if you aren't satisfied, so you can't lose. Does your optometrist offer that? Genuine Bates method teachers teach because they know it works and they are passionate about sharing it. It is important that both your parents support this! Lessons in the long run will be way cheaper than contiually getting stronger glasses. And you will learn the method much quicker than teaching yourself. you are at the stage that 6-8 weeks of working with a teacher on this would be very helpful and may improve your eyes enough that you don't need these glasses at all. A teacher will also help you get a weaker prescription that is still safe and legal for driving, but that will feel more comfortable than the full prescription.

Once you have learned the method, there is the added benefit that you will know how to help others in your family! I introduced the method to my sister and she has had similar success to mine.

contact lenses lead to more injuries than any other medical device. do your research on this, they aren't for everyone. I wore them for long hours and they caused veins to start growing over my cornea (BAD!), as seen by my optometrist.

david has instructions here for finding a teacher: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.iblindness.org/teacherassns.html">http://www.iblindness.org/teacherassns.html</a><!-- m -->
It's obviously best to find a teacher in your area, but some really good teachers do correspondence lessons ( I know of and have spoken with Gene Younger, Esther van der Werf, and Meir Schneider).

If you need inspiration, read the testimonials on Esther's site: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.visionsofjoy.org/testimonials.htm">http://www.visionsofjoy.org/testimonials.htm</a><!-- m -->
or about how Meir Schneider recovered from blindness: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.self-healing.org/navigation/instructors/meir-schneider/">http://www.self-healing.org/navigation/ ... schneider/</a><!-- m -->
my own blog documents my progress since I started the method: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://sorrisi.wordpress.com/">http://sorrisi.wordpress.com/</a><!-- m -->

well, I wish you the best of luck. I sincerely hope that you share your thoughts and this post with your parents. I wish that my parents had known/considered these things before I got into glasses. It's way easier to improve the sight before glasses are worn.

best wishes, sorrisi

Re: Most terrifying thing - sorrisiblue - 09-01-2010

ailpin Wrote:I ned glasses/contacts for distance, but not near should I find a plus lens to wear over my contacts for reading? Or should I order weaker contacts and glasses to aid in myopia reversal?
Ailpín

THese glasses are for 20 feet and beyond. Anything nearer than that will strain your eyes. In fact, you have already demonstrated to yourself that these glasses strain your eyes. That's an important thing to remember. Can you just read with out them? that is a natural 'plus' lens since you have removed a -3D.

Think about this: You could do everything before you got these glasses without any glasses.

I'd say just use them for driving. If it was me I would get the weakest pair possible to allow legal driving and practice the Bates method to see everything else more clearly. That will lead to quickest progress in my opinion. If you start waffling around doing plus lens and Bates and ... then you're just diffusing your learning and will end up with less. see my post above.

I think you should aim higher. Why have a goal of -1.25 glasses when you already know glasses strain your eyes and when what you want is 20/20 vision and not needing any glasses at all? Let it happen! Don't unconsciously or consciously limit yourself to a refractive error.

Sorrisi

Re: Most terrifying thing - Pikachu - 09-01-2010

Well sorrisi pretty much covered everything. Avoid wearing glasses and contact lenses whenever possible. See if you can do reading and other simple tasks without them comfortably. I've had glasses for almost 10 years now and I can tell you that my vision has gotten worse and worse over those ten years steadily. Now, I have no choice but to wear light glasses for reading. Try talking to your parents and see what they have to say. If they insist that you have to wear glasses or contacts, don't give up! See if you can find the time to practice the Bates method (better done without glasses or contacts).

Re: Most terrifying thing - Nancy - 09-01-2010

One more thing about driving with glasses: take the opportunity to remove them at stoplights or when crawling through a traffic jam or construction, and put them on top of your head within easy reach. You're driving without glasses! So what if it's only 1 mph? You might be surprised how much you can see without them. You really want to break that habit of thinking "I need glasses to see anything at all". Of course, make sure you're legal and driving safely, that you can see 20/40 (or whatever is legal where you live) if you're going any faster than walking speed.