MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
Most terrifying thing - Printable Version
Eyesight Improvement Forum
Most terrifying thing - Printable Version

+- Eyesight Improvement Forum (https://www.iblindness.org/forum)
+-- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.iblindness.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Bates Method (https://www.iblindness.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: Most terrifying thing (/showthread.php?tid=1563)

Pages: 1 2

Re: Most terrifying thing - ailpin - 09-01-2010

Thanks everyone for your responses!

I will indeed avoid the use of glasses and contacts. As of right now I'm not wearing any correction, which I find most comfortable (I'm also not comfortable with 20/15 vision with the correction why not just 20/20 or 20/30?). I'll need to wear contacts or glasses for driving though. In my province one must have 20/50 vision at worst to be able to drive with no correction. So I will probably order such allowing lenses/contacts soon.

I can actually see quite well for my apparent acuity. My optometrist told my parents in such away that they think I'm blind. But I know I'm not.

My father isn't against the natural method, but my mother has been sucked in by the "professional" opinion.

EDIT: To add would one think that I am a Anisomyopic person? Given my uneven refractive powers?

Ailpín

Re: Most terrifying thing - Pikachu - 09-01-2010

Don't know what "anisomyopic" means, but it's not uncommon to have one eye more strained than the other, especially if you start to use one eye more than the other. My left eye is about -1.50 diopters worse than my right.

Re: Most terrifying thing - ailpin - 09-01-2010

Pikachu Wrote:Don't know what "anisomyopic" means, but it's not uncommon to have one eye more strained than the other, especially if you start to use one eye more than the other. My left eye is about -1.50 diopters worse than my right.

Anisomyopic means Uneven refractive states of the two eyes or something along those lines.

How does one go about evening out the two eyes... in the reversing manner not the worsening manner.

Ailpín

Re: Most terrifying thing - Andrea Major - 09-01-2010

Don't worry, you are not anysomyopic. It would have to be a lot more difference between the two eyes. This kind of variance is quite usual. You can perhaps convince your mom eventually, if you become quite educated on the subject of vision. As a start, perhaps you can tell her that 30% of the people who had worn glasses most of their lives will have a serious organic eye condition by the time they retire from their work and will face blindness. Statistics don't lie, however, optometry refuses to admit that there is a clear cause & effect. I don't like to think of Dr. Bates's method as "natural" actually. The word "natural" has been overused to a point that it is too often suggestive of something lacking science, research and evidence. Bates was actually quite a scientist, examining 30000 people and conducting hundreds of conclusive experiments before he would publish his findings. Read the original Bates book and also the mainstream optometrist theories. That way you will see how little sense they make. The only argument they can make on the side of wearing glasses all the time is that your eyes may lose focusing power at all ranges (amblyopia), but you can prevent that by reading small font daily from a close range (because that you can only do if you maintain your range and is much better for you than glasses.)
The Bates method requires a lot of commitment. If you just refuse to wear your glasses in the name of the Bates Method (a mistake I made way back when), you are not doing yourself nor the popularity of the method a favour. The progression of myopia may also not stop. Please let us know how you are doing and stay in touch!

Re: Most terrifying thing - clarknight - 09-02-2010

Heres some videos and free help; http://cleareyesight.info/
Also Carina Goodrichs website gives free video audio lessons. http://cleareyesight.info/id82.html
Read Sorrisi's blog for 3 years of vision improvement and how she reduced her lenses. http://sorrisi.wordpress.com/

Clark

Re: Most terrifying thing - Ares - 09-07-2010

Stay away from contacts, ya hear me?
When someone gives you contacts, say, "No".

Glasses for driving, (do you really need to drive?) and maybe a pair of lower glasses will be fine. But stay away from the contacts!!! They will f#(k your eyes up. Having wear them for five years, believe me, i know...

And tell to the guy that told you to wear them all the time, that he is an idiot and he must be lobotomized!
My optometrist always told me to not to wear glasses when i can go without them and that contacts must be worn 10 hours max. You have not so high myopia to have to wear them all the time.
Your optometrist is an idiot that he doesn't even know what they teach in the optometrist school of the incurable refractive errors doctrine.
I know that calling him idiot can be insulting, but i have to emphasize. Stay away for him!

Now, do something simple. Lay down, or sit somewhere, and relax. Think about something pleasant, and you will see better. Permanent of temporary is not important at this time. The important is to demonstrate to yourself the change.

If you fail, sit down and really relax this time. Wink

Re: Most terrifying thing - clarknight - 09-07-2010

The shape of the eye/cornea changes frequently and does change for the better when Bates method is applied.
The contacts will never fit the changing cornea and can scrape, infect, scar the cornea and can result in blindness.
Contact lense solutions are often a cause of eye infections.
Wear reduced eyeglass lenses only if necessary for safety driving, work... and keep them on a string so you can hang them around the neck and use sparingly.

Clark NIght

Re: Most terrifying thing - Nancy - 09-07-2010

I wore hard contact lenses for 30+ years. It's been pretty windy here the past few days and yesterday when I went outside I had the thought "I'm SO glad I'm not wearing contacts any longer! (I haven't thought about them for a long time.) Dust always blew in my eyes when the weather was like this, and now I don't have to worry about it!". If you've ever gotten a speck of dirt under your contact, you know that awful needle-in-the-eye feeling, and your eye is so traumatized it's slammed shut and you can hardly pry the contact out! Why do this to yourself?

Re: Most terrifying thing - ailpin - 09-07-2010

Thank you all for that information.

I think I will just go through with getting the contacts BUT I will not wear them. I'm not squeamish when it comes to touching my eyes. But hearing about getting something stuck under the contact on your eye is rather disturbing. But if worst comes to worst I will have to wear them. Which will not likely happen.

I'm getting more and more comfortable with the idea of wearing my glasses when needed.

Also recently my relative decided he would test my glasses and ask me strange questions like how many fingers and stuff from a distance. Once he was done playing around I took them off and he said "but don't you like seeing clearly?" I said that they were for "distances or driving and such." he then said "No they are for seeing out of". I felt as if I was being looked at like I was a moron for not wearing them full-time.

Ah well that's life you do something out of the ordinary and you're viewed as though you're running on a lean mixture.

Ailpín

Re: Most terrifying thing - Pikachu - 09-08-2010

Quote:Also recently my relative decided he would test my glasses and ask me strange questions like how many fingers and stuff from a distance. Once he was done playing around I took them off and he said "but don't you like seeing clearly?" I said that they were for "distances or driving and such." he then said "No they are for seeing out of". I felt as if I was being looked at like I was a moron for not wearing them full-time.

You shouldn't feel like a moron. Judging by the way your relative talked to you about your glasses, it sounds like he's never worn glasses before (is that correct?). If that's the case, it's understandable why he would say that. Some people who have never had eyesight worse than 20/20 don't really understand what it's like to have imperfect vision. As for the strange questions, you'll likely have to answer those a lot more in the coming years. Sometimes, my friends joke around with me and ask questions as if I were blind, but some people are really ignorant of the fact that poor vision does not equal blindness.

Re: Most terrifying thing - ailpin - 09-08-2010

Pikachu Wrote:
Quote:Also recently my relative decided he would test my glasses and ask me strange questions like how many fingers and stuff from a distance. Once he was done playing around I took them off and he said "but don't you like seeing clearly?" I said that they were for "distances or driving and such." he then said "No they are for seeing out of". I felt as if I was being looked at like I was a moron for not wearing them full-time.

You shouldn't feel like a moron. Judging by the way your relative talked to you about your glasses, it sounds like he's never worn glasses before (is that correct?). If that's the case, it's understandable why he would say that. Some people who have never had eyesight worse than 20/20 don't really understand what it's like to have imperfect vision. As for the strange questions, you'll likely have to answer those a lot more in the coming years. Sometimes, my friends joke around with me and ask questions as if I were blind, but some people are really ignorant of the fact that poor vision does not equal blindness.

No he wears glasses/contacts so does his wife and children. But I think they didn't grasp the 20 feet intention of the minus lenses. I felt like I was being made fun of with all the question asking.

Poor vision indeed does not equal blindness. I've proven that to myself and a few others.

Ailpín

Re: Most terrifying thing - Nancy - 09-09-2010

When people don't understand something, it's a lot easier to make fun of it than ask questions in a way that shows they really want to learn and understand.

Re: Most terrifying thing - JMartinC4 - 09-09-2010

People who ask questions like this are not trying to learn anything; they are trying to find a way to 'marginalize' you, and justify their own preconceived beliefs which are like a security blanket for them. If they can turn you into a misguided nutcase then all remains right with their world; If not, their world becomes chaotic.
If only you were a Doctor of Science or something respectable! You might Wow! them with facts and figures and stupendous knowledge never known before. You might turn on their vision with new magical powers! But what you're spouting is some sort of 'pull yourself up by your own bootstraps' to overcome a problem for which they already have what they consider a very satisfactory explanation of and solution for.
Now, the best thing to do is to carry on, acting as if everything is okay. The unfortunate part is that you mentioned it to them before gaining very much control over your own vision. "First remove the mote from your own eye, that you may see to remove the mote in your brother's eye."
I would suggest blowing his/their minds with the proposition that neonatal eye antibiotics are a possible root cause of their nearpoint fixation disorder (stop referring to it as 'myopia').
ailpin Wrote:
Quote:Also recently my relative decided he would test my glasses and ask me strange questions like how many fingers and stuff from a distance. Once he was done playing around I took them off and he said "but don't you like seeing clearly?" I said that they were for "distances or driving and such." he then said "No they are for seeing out of". I felt as if I was being looked at like I was a moron for not wearing them full-time. ...he wears glasses/contacts so does his wife and children. But I think they didn't grasp the 20 feet intention of the minus lenses. I felt like I was being made fun of with all the question asking. Poor vision indeed does not equal blindness. I've proven that to myself and a few others. Ailpín