MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
Hi! Mind if I introduce myself here? - Printable Version
Eyesight Improvement Forum
Hi! Mind if I introduce myself here? - Printable Version

+- Eyesight Improvement Forum (https://www.iblindness.org/forum)
+-- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.iblindness.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Off Topic (https://www.iblindness.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Thread: Hi! Mind if I introduce myself here? (/showthread.php?tid=1565)

Pages: 1 2

Re: Hi! Mind if I introduce myself here? - sunlight456 - 08-19-2010

contact lenses aren't good for your eyes: apparently they cause irritation. so what do you think is a good reason? I'm just trying to solve a problem here and I want to believe in the Bates theory. If I didn't I wouldn't be here. And if I were truly vain, I would get surgery. Which I am not.

are you going to help me or tease me? I really don't
appreciate your mockery. why do you believe I should be sentenced to use of corrective lenses for the rest of my life when I could be doing something positive for my eyes?

are you reading this right now? I really don't want you to mock me. What do you think is a good reason to improve your vision? If you're talking about helping others, I don't think you're helping me, and I have a lot of close people that I would most certainly wish to help if I could understand the Bates method better.

Re: Hi! Mind if I introduce myself here? - JMartinC4 - 08-19-2010

sunlight456 Wrote:are you reading this right now? I really don't want you to mock me. What do you think is a good reason to improve your vision? If you're talking about helping others, I don't think you're helping me, and I have a lot of close people that I would most certainly wish to help if I could understand the Bates method better.
I am not mocking you. I don't understand you. Lenses improve vision, and so does surgery. But you don't want that. You haven't explained why not, and you haven't even estimated the duration of your loss of distance vision as I asked. And yes,
I am talking about helping others while we help ourselves. But without an understanding of the root cause(s) of our disorder, the results are ephemeral. So I will stop answering your posts. Sorry about that!

Re: Hi! Mind if I introduce myself here? - sean - 08-19-2010

Hi Sunlight456

Read Bates' book which is available for free on this website. Perhaps skip the first and last couple of chapters or so for the moment. You will see other material mentioned on this forum. Don't get hung up on any one of the relaxation techniques but take it lightly but determinedly. For example I got absolutely nothing from palming but amazing results from use of imagination with my eyes open (ie imaginging an object my eyes are not actually looking at), but I am going to give paloming another go now. Could I also suggest setting a few minutes aside every morning (or whatever) just to relax or simply do nothing, just be yourself. You might be thinking of this as changing your behaviour to improve your eyesight, but doing the latter might well achieve the former more easily - just an idea. The circumstances under which you developed myopia remind me of my own. You seem self aware for someone so young - wish I had been like that at your age! I got myopia when I was 10. I remember feeling under enormous stress at the time. These are just a few random thoughts.

sean: Thanks for your help I appreciate it. how do you do the imagination thing? do you look at a blank wall while you imagine or what? what sort of things do you do as bates practice?

Re: Hi! Mind if I introduce myself here? - David - 08-19-2010

Well look, the reason I got into vision improvement was because I didn't want to wear glasses cuz they were ugly and cumbersome, and contacts were no fun either. I maybe only avoided laser surgery because it was so expensive and I had heard that it wasn't recommended until your mid-20s or so when you stop growing. Only as I got into it did I see that there was a real problem occurring that I had to fix, and my main reasons changed.

Dave

Re: Hi! Mind if I introduce myself here? - IndigoGhost - 08-19-2010

Yeah guys, you should take it easy on sunlight as no matter what the reasons for there want to get rid of glasses you should still help them anyway. Doing otherwise helps nobody.

Re: Hi! Mind if I introduce myself here? - sean - 08-20-2010

Sunlight

Yes, I should give an account of the open-eye imagination as I practise it and I've been thinking of doing that for a good while now. I don't really do much else, just relax my eyes whenever I'm conscious that I'm straining, but I'm going to try palming again. I think it's a case of all roads lead to Rome. You could say I'm keeping it simple! Also, as for David's comment above, I'd be much the same. I'd guess that at the start if someone told me I'd have no further eye problems for the rest of my life and I could carry on wearing glasses I think I'd probably have settled for that and waved goodbye to this. But definitely not now. One way of putting it is that it helps me 'to be myself' but it's not that easy to define I suppose.