MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
Why progress is slow, and most people are never truely cured - Printable Version
Eyesight Improvement Forum
Why progress is slow, and most people are never truely cured - Printable Version

+- Eyesight Improvement Forum (https://www.iblindness.org/forum)
+-- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.iblindness.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Bates Method (https://www.iblindness.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: Why progress is slow, and most people are never truely cured (/showthread.php?tid=1569)

Pages: 1 2 3

Re: Why progress is slow, and most people are never truely cured - JMartinC4 - 09-15-2010

Andrea Major Wrote:I don't think anyone here agrees with JMartinC4. His logic of connecting the Neonatal Antibiotic Eyedrops to the Bates Method is very twisted in my opinion. Now that wouldn't be a problem, but the fact that he discourages most newcomers to this site is. However, if I am wrong and you do agree with him, please post a reply!
Oh, Andrea, Andrea, Andrea! I am not discouraging anyone from the Bates Method - never have and never will. Why are you trying to spread untruths about me? Is your last name Iscariot? Or Iago? Or Arnold (as in Benedict)? The truly discouraging thing is your persistence in trying to discredit me and my original and helpful insights into the problem of nearpoint fixation disorder. BTW - What exactly have you brought to the Community Forum that is new or informative or helpful?
:'( Wink 8)
What you're actually trying to do is to 'bully' me, and as 2extreme2fit and I have discussed, that's not going to work.
O0

Re: Why progress is slow, and most people are never truely cured - Nancy - 09-18-2010

JMartinC4, I'm also tired of your beating the drum about the evils of neonatal antibiotics, at every opportunity, to newbies who just want to understand Bates better, needing mostly only basic information and some encouragement. If your understanding of neonatal antibiotics has helped you, great! However I don't think it's necessary for everyone and it's certainly not Bates. Because you keep mentioning it, this emphasis can obscure other more important basic Bates techniques like palming or chart work. I don't expect you to change your opinion or stop posting, but I'd prefer to hear about what's working for you and not about something which might not have even happened to get more stressed about. Thanks for understanding.

DaniFixe, the purpose of standing nearer the chart is so you can see a few lines without straining. Don't make a big production of it -- just move forward where you're comfortable looking at the top. When I stood too far away, I was straining constantly to see anything well, so hardly improved at all. Learning to look at something far away (a small letter more than a few inches from my nose for me) without strain was a big step forward to me in my improvement. At first, I didn't think I could relax at all without closing my eyes -- if I looked, I strained. The chart helped me break this habit.

Re: Why progress is slow, and most people are never truely cured - 2xtreme2fit - 09-19-2010

Nancy Wrote:JMartinC4, I'm also tired of your beating the drum about the evils of neonatal antibiotics, at every opportunity, to newbies who just want to understand Bates better, needing mostly only basic information and some encouragement. If your understanding of neonatal antibiotics has helped you, great! However I don't think it's necessary for everyone and it's certainly not Bates. Because you keep mentioning it, this emphasis can obscure other more important basic Bates techniques like palming or chart work. I don't expect you to change your opinion or stop posting, but I'd prefer to hear about what's working for you and not about something which might not have even happened to get more stressed about. Thanks for understanding.

I hope this doesn't start any heated discussion but I agree with Nancy a 100%.
Also, I'm still very curious about JMartinC4's experience with the Bates Method.

Re: Why progress is slow, and most people are never truely cured - JMartinC4 - 09-19-2010

Nancy hasn't cured her own vision, let alone anyone else's.
Andrea Major hasn't cured her own vision, let alone anyone else's.
2extreme had great vision into his teens then lost it a little bit and then regained a little control but hasn't cured himself or anyone else.
None of them offers any new insights or improvements to basic Bates. Apparently for them the Bates Method is the only endeavor in human history which has needed no improvements in 100+ years. Bates to them must be not just a genius, but a god!
Not only that, but they seem to embrace all manner of pseudo-science which I doubt Dr. Bates would have given a thimbleful of credence to.
Yet all three disparage my proposed ideas, innovations and improvements to Dr. Bates methodology and theory.
Hypocritical jealousy, anyone? Sad O0 8)

Re: Why progress is slow, and most people are never truely cured - Pikachu - 09-19-2010

Quote:Nancy hasn't cured her own vision, let alone anyone else's.
Andrea Major hasn't cured her own vision, let alone anyone else's.
2extreme had great vision into his teens then lost it a little bit and then regained a little control but hasn't cured himself or anyone else.
None of them offers any new insights or improvements to basic Bates. Apparently for them the Bates Method is the only endeavor in human history which has needed no improvements in 100+ years. Bates to them must be not just a genius, but a god!
Not only that, but they seem to embrace all manner of pseudo-science which I doubt Dr. Bates would have given a thimbleful of credence to.
Yet all three disparage my proposed ideas, innovations and improvements to Dr. Bates methodology and theory.
Hypocritical jealousy, anyone?

@JMartinC4: I don’t think that’s a fair statement. The thing is, the Bates method HAS worked at least to some extent for many who have tried to improve their vision. Please don’t attack people individually on these forums. I thought the whole point of having a “Community” forums was so that we can band together and work toward our common goal: Improving eyesight. That said, your idea about neonatal antibiotics is not completely out of the question and it certainly is an interesting idea, but I think what the annoyed the others was that you post about neonatal antibiotics a bit too often, even in threads that ask questions about other stuff (like palming, shifting, swinging, etc.). Your theory has its own place in these forums, but I don’t think it belongs in every thread.

Re: Why progress is slow, and most people are never truely cured - JMartinC4 - 09-19-2010

Pikachu Wrote:@JMartinC4: I don’t think that’s a fair statement. The thing is, the Bates method HAS worked at least to some extent for many who have tried to improve their vision. Please don’t attack people individually on these forums. I thought the whole point of having a “Community” forums was so that we can band together and work toward our common goal: Improving eyesight. That said, your idea about neonatal antibiotics is not completely out of the question and it certainly is an interesting idea, but I think what the annoyed the others was that you post about neonatal antibiotics a bit too often, even in threads that ask questions about other stuff (like palming, shifting, swinging, etc.). Your theory has its own place in these forums, but I don’t think it belongs in every thread.
Pikachu, Let me pick at you: Can't you read between the lines? They attacked me, I did not attack them. They frequently post about things like auras and chakras and mind-reading and palm reading and phrenology and happy-feelgood-pseudoscience. Why don't you take them to task for that?
But thanks for admitting the possible veracity of my discovery of the banal evil of neonatal eye antibiotics. I believe they are the reason the basic Bates Methods stopped working for most people. That's why I can't help referring to them practically whenever I post.
Here's another random idea of mine: If we Americans can stop being enamored with aggressive go-getters, we will make some more incredible discoveries. If we can't, we will end up in the ditch of history's discarded lies.

Re: Why progress is slow, and most people are never truely cured - Nancy - 09-20-2010

By your standards I may not have been cured. However, I actually considered posting on the success stories thread yesterday about driving in a challenging area for hours, only occasionally using my glasses to read the signs, when I used to wear -10 hard contacts all day long. See my blog if you're interested in the details. I'm glad now I didn't post -- you are acting like an "aggressive go-getter" (your words) to attack anyone who dares to say you might want to modify your approach, so you'd probably have said I shouldn't be calling myself a success story! I have helped lots of people learn Bates habits and reduce their dependence on glasses, I just don't brag about every one of them here. When I said I'm glad the understanding of neonatal antibiotics is helping you, you totally ignored it. I did not attack you so please don't attack me. I see this forum as an information exchange and place of encouragement and companionship for those on a similar journey to improve their eyesight naturally. Please keep your tone respectful when you refer to others here.

Re: Why progress is slow, and most people are never truely cured - 2xtreme2fit - 09-20-2010

I don't know what to say to you, JMartinC4...it just doesn't do any good accusing me (or anyone else) of ''attacking'' you. Nobody here speaks ill about you or your theory of Neonatal Eye Antibiotics - I certainly have not. The only bothersome thing is the amount you post on your theory BUT as I have already said, I cannot stop you from it.
BTW, I am still legitimately curious about your experiences.

Re: Why progress is slow, and most people are never truely cured - JMartinC4 - 09-20-2010

Gospel of St. Matthew, Chapter 23, Verse 13: Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you shut up the kingdom of Heaven against men. For you neither go in, nor do you allow those entering to go in.
Moral, Aesop's Fables, The Dog(s) in the Manger: Ah, people often grudge others what they cannot enjoy themselves.
My version: Unhappy dogs jealously over-zealously protect that which they do not even understand.

Re: Why progress is slow, and most people are never truely cured - Andrea Major - 09-20-2010

OK then! :-)
How about we get back on topic?! I often wonder about this pessimistic title: "Why progress is slow, and most people are never truely cured". How does someone make a statement like that? I know a whole bunch of people who have cured their vision, even without knowing the Bates method. Some people just refuse to put on glasses and make life changes so that they don't have to drive (because then of course they believe that they would have to wear them...). There are a whole bunch of cases of "mysterious recoveries". Optholmalogy has it all covered. If it happened at a young age, they say, the person must have had ciliary muscle spasm myopia, which, of course, can spontaneously recover; if it happens at a later age, they say that presbyobia is covering up myopia, causing apparent normal vision for the time being. Some people just never go to the optometrist. They notice that their vision became slightly blurry, but also notice if they do something it helps and go on with their lives. This one person exercised his eyes shifting from a nearby object to a distant one very rapidly over and over. Did it every night for a while and never had a problem after that. I later told him about the Bates method, he said it sounded crazy! I think the people who are most likely to turn to the Bates method are the ones who need it the most. For me, glasses have never helped. I never believed that the progression would stop in my case. It is only natural that for people like that, progress would be slow. There are people who are very comfortable with their glasses or laser eye surgery. They are very confident that glasses are the right thing for them because that's what they have been told. If the Bates method was main stream, they would be the first ones to be cured, because then it would be the Authority telling them what to do. Those don't over-analyze, obsess about the whole process, which always hinders progress to some extent.
I also want to say that I think Nancy is doing great! She is nice and encouraging with everyone, always has a few good words to the newbies, even when most of us just cannot be bothered. We have a lot to learn from her. -10 diopters are very high. I know 2 people with such high myopia. One of them in his 40's already facing retinal detachment; the other person had cataract and macular degeneration in her 50's!
That's just to put some things into perspective...

Re: Why progress is slow, and most people are never truely cured - Pikachu - 09-21-2010

I'll risk sounding dumb, but I think that progress comes as quickly as you believe it will. If you don't really believe in it, it might never happen no matter how dedicated you are to the Bates method.

And a few last words for JMartinC4: Your logic and the premise of your posts are correct in most cases but it would be very nice if you could use a more respectful (and preferably friendly) tone towards your fellow forum members. I understand that you're very enthusiastic about your views, but it's not always so obvious to others.

Re: Why progress is slow, and most people are never truely cured - 2xtreme2fit - 09-22-2010

Pikachu Wrote:I'll risk sounding dumb, but I think that progress comes as quickly as you believe it will. If you don't really believe in it, it might never happen no matter how dedicated you are to the Bates method.

And a few last words for JMartinC4: Your logic and the premise of your posts are correct in most cases but it would be very nice if you could use a more respectful (and preferably friendly) tone towards your fellow forum members. I understand that you're very enthusiastic about your views, but it's not always so obvious to others.

To Pikachu,
I believe that thought is anything but dumb. Willingness to mend your ways will bring improvement & ultimately success.

To JMartinC4,
It's always fun arguing with you.

Re: Why progress is slow, and most people are never truely cured - JMartinC4 - 09-22-2010

2xtreme2fit Wrote:
Pikachu Wrote:I'll risk sounding dumb, but I think that progress comes as quickly as you believe it will. If you don't really believe in it, it might never happen no matter how dedicated you are to the Bates method. And a few last words for JMartinC4: Your logic and the premise of your posts are correct in most cases but it would be very nice if you could use a more respectful (and preferably friendly) tone towards your fellow forum members. I understand that you're very enthusiastic about your views, but it's not always so obvious to others.
To Pikachu, I believe that thought is anything but dumb. Willingness to mend your ways will bring improvement & ultimately success.
To JMartinC4, It's always fun arguing with you.
Yesterday and today I am having the greatest clear flashing imaginable. It is the culmination of everything that has been discussed on this incredible website with all of you incredible people. My wife has to have a biopsy. Hopefully it will be nothing. If not, I can't predict the future. God has no sense of timing. He apparently doesn't know much about emotional pain. Life is fair; people aren't.

Re: Why progress is slow, and most people are never truely cured - sean - 09-23-2010

I'll say a prayer for her, John.