MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
Lots of Questions - Palming, Improvement, etc. - Printable Version
Eyesight Improvement Forum
Lots of Questions - Palming, Improvement, etc. - Printable Version

+- Eyesight Improvement Forum (https://www.iblindness.org/forum)
+-- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.iblindness.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Bates Method (https://www.iblindness.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: Lots of Questions - Palming, Improvement, etc. (/showthread.php?tid=1582)

Pages: 1 2

Re: Lots of Questions - Palming, Improvement, etc. - Pikachu - 08-31-2010

@sorrisiblue: That's okay. I'm happy enough that everyone here is nice enough to take the time to help and give advice. I'll do some experimenting myself and see how it goes. I suppose it's much harder to do without a support?

@2xtreme2fit: So it's kind of like imagining color then? And how do you get these other shades to show up? Do you do it to the point where you can pretty much see it or is it more in the imagination?

Re: Lots of Questions - Palming, Improvement, etc. - sorrisiblue - 09-01-2010

Pikachu Wrote:I suppose it's much harder to do without a support?

I find I need support in order to let my shoulders relax, but I have heard from other people that don't need the support. Give both ways a try! I suppose it will depend on where your tension lies.

hope you find something that works out for you!
sorrisi

Re: Lots of Questions - Palming, Improvement, etc. - Pikachu - 09-01-2010

Thanks. I'll keep experimenting and see what happens. I feel that it's only a matter of time now. Not if, but when! Smile

Re: Lots of Questions - Palming, Improvement, etc. - Pikachu - 09-01-2010

Just wondering: What methods do you use for visualization while palming? I've tried a bunch of methods, with mixed levels of success. So far, the most successful has been to take deep breaths and counting them, trying not to think about anything else.

Re: Lots of Questions - Palming, Improvement, etc. - 2xtreme2fit - 09-02-2010

Pikachu Wrote:So it's kind of like imagining color then? And how do you get these other shades to show up? Do you do it to the point where you can pretty much see it or is it more in the imagination?

It is imagination definitely - not necessarily color though, any object with central fixation can be a subject of imagination. I imagine elaborate sequences which relate to things that interest me deeply, they can be a movie sequence, a completely synthesized music video of the music I'm listening now while palming at the same time.
I usually imagine a small area of red/black - my favorites, try your favorites. They don't have to be exceptionally real but just a reflection of your memory.

Re: Lots of Questions - Palming, Improvement, etc. - Pikachu - 09-02-2010

Oh, I see what you mean now. Am I supposed to shift and focus with central fixation for this "memory"? Or is it better to "let it go where it wants to"?

Re: Lots of Questions - Palming, Improvement, etc. - 2xtreme2fit - 09-02-2010

Pikachu Wrote:Oh, I see what you mean now. Am I supposed to shift and focus with central fixation for this "memory"? Or is it better to "let it go where it wants to"?

Both are to be done simultaneously - shift while looking or imagining things that interest you. You will tire your eyes trying to shift on an uninteresting object/memory.
Keep your mind entertained by keeping a sense of variety or else you will bore yourself to the point of degrading your vision even more.
Shifting should become natural after a while of consciously doing it. Then you will unconsciously favor looking at things or imagining them with central fixation.

Side Note : You cannot do or practice central fixation but you have to achieve it instead by doing the other things that relax your mind/eyes.

Re: Lots of Questions - Palming, Improvement, etc. - Pikachu - 09-03-2010

All right. Thanks. I gave it a bit of a try last night. I actually surprised myself: I didn't expect to imagine the colors so well! That feeling lasted for maybe 20 seconds and then it kind of wore off. I know that it probably was NOT a clear flash, but it still gave me that sense of surprise. So it's typically better to imagine motion sequences rather than static pictures, correct?

Re: Lots of Questions - Palming, Improvement, etc. - Ares - 09-03-2010

You can't imagine anything static actually. Thats the best way to demolish your vision...

Look at the scotomata after looking at the Sun, they always move. Theres nothing physical on them, they have to physical form or matter. They are just images stucked at the optic nerve, but the mind spins them around.

This is how the brain actually sees. Immobile things must be seen mobile.

Ok, i know you where mentioning on the "Mind Television" think, but if you use the mind as a Photo-Viever, when you have an error of refraction, you actually risking to stop or destroy the progrees you have done.

So, see things moving!!!

Re: Lots of Questions - Palming, Improvement, etc. - Pikachu - 09-03-2010

I see your point. What I actually meant to say was "Should I imagine something that is itself moving (for example, a scene from a movie) or should I imagine something that isn't typically thought of as moving (like a stuffed animal) and imagine it as moving?

Re: Lots of Questions - Palming, Improvement, etc. - Andrea Major - 09-03-2010

If you can easily, effortlessly imagine something moving (swinging from side to side) a small area or a letter, that's best. But you may not be able to as that is an indication of relaxation already gained. I think imagining something moving that usually moves (like your car on the highway zooming by) or something from a movie, or a scene from an airplane is a good start, too. The whole point is to gain relaxation while letting go of images (to help reduce the staring at images for your mind's eye before you can do the same with your physical eye.) Others cannot imagine anything with their eyes closed. In that case, it helps to actually observe things moving. What helped me was when my husband drove me around, I would look out the side window and keep my eyes on the meridian strip (gently). Not trying to focus, everything (naturally) becomes blurry as it is impossible to focus on moving objects at that speed, but when I looked at something stationary above for a second, it would appear to be crystal sharp. A very gentle, very efficient exercise to try.

Re: Lots of Questions - Palming, Improvement, etc. - Pikachu - 09-07-2010

I understand now. Thanks for clarifying Smile

I just thought that I should mention that I've practiced blinking and that I've noticed that I'm a bit more relaxed nowadays.