MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
Night Vision - Printable Version
Eyesight Improvement Forum
Night Vision - Printable Version

+- Eyesight Improvement Forum (https://www.iblindness.org/forum)
+-- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.iblindness.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Bates Method (https://www.iblindness.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: Night Vision (/showthread.php?tid=1592)

Pages: 1 2

Night Vision - JWLBOYCE - 09-03-2010

Hi guys,

I have vision around the -0.5 mark, and I have recently noticed that my night vision has decreased hugely. I have around -3 at night time, it is scary. I know that the cones don't pick stuff up as well at night time, but this is pretty scary.

I've noticed this before for a time, then I either forgot abnout it or just got on with it?

Any tips/ideas/experiences????

Thanks

Re: Night Vision - Nancy - 09-04-2010

Sunning, paradoxically, will improve your night vision. Also see if you can go for walks after dark without glasses a few times a week. Vision at night is different, without the sharp clarity and color to guide you -- you need to pay much more attention to true depth.

Re: Night Vision - Ares - 09-04-2010

When there is no Sun, there is no Light.
When there is no Light, there is Darkness.
People doesn't like that, and made artificial lighting.
Artificial lighting is a mess. Thats why in comparison to the Sun, the light at night are at least poor, sending only a few rays of light in the eye.
Vision at night is not worse, most of the time is just like the day vision.

Simply, what Nancy said above is true in night vision. That creates the "bad" vision at night.

So, you can't have -3 at night, unless you made your mind produce this effect. That would be interesting...

Re: Night Vision - JWLBOYCE - 09-05-2010

Ok Guys, thanks. Ive never work glasses anyway so walking in the dark without them is no factor. Ill try eating loads of carrots Smile Ill let you know how I do Smile

Thanks

James

Re: Night Vision - Ares - 09-05-2010

Carrots is a myth started by English in WWII ti hide the existence of Radar.

But if you really want to see in the dark, here is how to do it.
[Image: Recon-2NVG.jpg]
Humans doesn't have a Tapetum lucidum, so we have to use technological means to see in the dark.

Re: Night Vision - JWLBOYCE - 09-05-2010

Really! I never knew that Smile Thanks

Haha, I like it. Thanks.

Re: Night Vision - Ares - 09-07-2010

Well, to be honest there is a chance that humans are able to see better in Moonlight, but not a chance to see like cats or dogs. We miss a very basic component. The Tapetum lucidum. So we have to use devices like the one pictured above.

Our eyes are "used" to the dark due to a chemical reaction if i remember right. So, some chemicals might made it happen more quickly, but we will not see better than passing half hour in the darkness.

The subject is something that interest me so i would like to know ant new info.

Also, you can check stuff like this out.
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.wikihow.com/See-in-the-Dark">http://www.wikihow.com/See-in-the-Dark</a><!-- m -->

As for the carrots, they have some vitamin A, but until you buy them, all vitamins are gone, and the amount of vitamin is small anyway. And i don't know anyone with better night vision by getting vitamin A. I took vitamin A myself, i stayed at the same s#%t as always....

Re: Night Vision - Nancy - 09-07-2010

Peter Grunwald (Eyebody) told me one of the things that helped him improve his severe myopia (-10) the most was waling after dark for hours on his New Zealand property which didn't have electricity at the time. The body responds to the demands we put on it.

Re: Night Vision - JWLBOYCE - 09-07-2010

Nice - I suppose you can't strain as much when there is nothing to see Smile

Re: Night Vision - Andrea Major - 09-07-2010

Hi Jwlboyce,

I am very curious, How did you arrive at these numbers? (-.5 vs -3 at night) Did an optometrist check or did you somehow do your own measurement? Can you give us details as I am very interested in these things right now and would like to hear people's personal experiences. Interestingly they never measured my focal length at dimmer lights and I wonder if they should be at higher degrees of myopia (to be true to themselves.) For example, they do have a category called "night myopia" and yet they never check people's vision at night, (to my knowledge) shouldn't they be if they are going to let us drive at night? ....

Re: Night Vision - Pikachu - 09-08-2010

@Andrea Major: A very good point. A quick Google search got me to an excerpt of a scholarly article:

Quote:Current knowledge of the refractive shifts (twilight myopia, night myopia, dark focus) that occur as the luminance is progressively lowered from photopic levels is reviewed. In complete darkness, myopic changes of the order of 1 dioptre are typical in young adult subjects. These gradually diminish as presbyopia is approached. The possible role of these refractive changes in causing visual difficulties for young drivers on the road at night is considered. It is concluded that high mesopic levels (about 1 cd/m2) of road luminance produced by street and vehicle lighting are normally too great to allow significant refractive shifts to occur, although acuity will be reduced due to light-dependent neural changes. Under these circumstances it appears unlikely that specific night-driving prescriptions will be beneficial: the accurate correction of normal refractive errors is, however, more important during night than day driving due to the greater blur associated with the larger night-time pupil. Suggestions are made for further experimental work in this area.

Re: Night Vision - JWLBOYCE - 09-08-2010

-0.5 is what the optition gave me (if I can remember correctly) about 3 years ago - annoyingly he didn't give me a prescription. However I look at eyecharts at nighttime, and it is really scary because even the top letter is not perfectly clear and and I would have to Try to see the second line, so it is 20/200, which is around -2.5. Allow for the tiniest bit of astigmatism and its -3 Sad AT THE MOMENT. I know that real soon it is going to be awesome.

Thanks

James

Re: Night Vision - JWLBOYCE - 09-12-2010

Just to keep you updated - I have found that it was just because I was getting tired that my habits were getting worse at night time - I've been going to bed earlier, and I've just read the 20/70 line in my kitchen, which is a great improvement from this time last week at night Smile

Thanks for the help

James

Re: Night Vision - clarknight - 09-12-2010

I use my eyes with Bates Method day and night and at night=where-ever there is a source of light and vision is crystal clear.
Only when the light goes low enough to shut off the cones in the retina and central field and then only the rods are working in very dim light will the vision be less clear. see Night Vision Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5JxOFVi3hc&feature=channel and use Basic Bates Method also. Relax, shift.., blink, think a positive thought, enjoy the objects in the dark. Shift on a object under a street light, objects, people inside a lighted building through a distant window, shift on the moon. I used to have blurry night vision. After learning more about the Bates Method, (Thomas Quackenbush's class) one night in dountown South San Francisco I realized I could look across the street and see the people working in the hardware store, way in the back of the store, clear and it was so easy.

Re: Night Vision - JWLBOYCE - 09-13-2010

I will tell you when I have any further improvements - in my 18 months of practicing the Bates Method, it has only been over the last 2 weeks that I have appreciated how easy it is to see, and I am feeling better about my eyes even after that short amount of time Smile