MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
Re-start - Printable Version
Eyesight Improvement Forum
Re-start - Printable Version

+- Eyesight Improvement Forum (https://www.iblindness.org/forum)
+-- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.iblindness.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Bates Method (https://www.iblindness.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: Re-start (/showthread.php?tid=1594)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Re: Re-start - seetheleaves - 10-14-2010

JWLBOYCE Wrote:It's strange, but this week so far I've had no clear patches - since Saturday. I've not been doing anything different than last week :S

Any Ideas??!??
Thanks

Just a thought but maybe the answer is already in your post?

Change it up a bit - maybe vision improvement has become too routine for you and not spontaneous/ exciting / interesting enough? I would suggest reading the Bates magazine issues and see if anything pops out at you as fun to try.

Re: Re-start - 2xtreme2fit - 10-14-2010

What bores you, degrades you.

Re: Re-start - JMartinC4 - 10-14-2010

WHAT GORES YOU, DEBRIDES YOU.
WHAT CORES YOU, ABRADES YOU.
WHAT IGNORES YOU, PARADES YOU.
O0
I haven't a clue what such statements really mean. Nothing, probably. Jibber-jabber.
Smile

Re: Re-start - JWLBOYCE - 10-14-2010

Ahh right = I see (get it ) where your coming from Smile

Thanks Guys - Ill give it a go Smile

James Smile

JMartinC4 Wrote:I haven't a clue what such statements really mean. Nothing, probably. Jibber-jabber.

Ah, typical JMartinC4. Looks like you just can't be any friendlier than that, can you?

Re: Re-start - JWLBOYCE - 10-14-2010

I've been trying to change things up a bit - just randomly stopped doing homework and palmed for about 30 seconds. Clear Flash Smile

I've had one or two through out the afternoon as well - thanks guys, I guess I was just losing my visual interest and taking for granted my eyesight Confused

Thanks - I really appreciate your help Smile

Ill keep you updated

james Smile

Re: Re-start - JMartinC4 - 10-14-2010

2xtreme2fit Wrote:
JMartinC4 Wrote:I haven't a clue what such statements really mean. Nothing, probably. Jibber-jabber.
Ah, typical JMartinC4. Looks like you just can't be any friendlier than that, can you?
It's not about friendship - yet - it's about clear vision. Jibber-jabber doesn't help ayone attain clear vision. It's simply distracting. Like red herring across a bloodhound's trail. Or dirt thrown in an opponent's eye. Or yelling 'fire' in a crowded unfiery theater.

Re: Re-start - liquidlight - 10-14-2010

Don't forget that the goal is to take the relaxation gained from doing the techniques, and to slowly incorporate that into your usual routine. That is key!

So when you do long-swings, and you achieve a relaxation, notice how it feels and then try to achieve that feeling throughout your usual daily activities as well. Its not necessary to stop in the middle of class to do conscious long-swings or shifting -- you need only remember the feeling that happens when doing those activities, and reproduce it without having to do those things. That's something that is so easy for us to forget, yet it's the whole point.

Just take a bit more time when doing the techniques, to "notice" things, instead of just doing the techniques as a chore. Smell the roses -- feel the relaxation in your eyes, how your face feels, how your neck feels.

Someone said earlier that math/physics and some other classes produce more people with myopia -- and this would seem to be true. These are hard-core left-brain subjects and thus have the tendency to engrain people into left-brain habits. If you find yourself persuing one of these subjects, it may be best to try to incorporate a bit of right-brain activity into your day to compensate and relax yourself. The brain wants to play and have "fun" (thus why we must dream to survive or else we go insane). Asking it to be serious all the time will only strain your mind and body.

Smell the roses. Notice how you feel. If you discover you're tense, take some slow deep breaths and LET GO.

JMartinC4 Wrote:It's not about friendship - yet - it's about clear vision. Jibber-jabber doesn't help ayone attain clear vision. It's simply distracting.

And it happened so that the same Jibber-jabber made sense to James & he had a flash of clear vision.

JWLBOYCE Wrote:I've been trying to change things up a bit - just randomly stopped doing homework and palmed for about 30 seconds. Clear Flash Smile
I've had one or two through out the afternoon as well - thanks guys, I guess I was just losing my visual interest and taking for granted my eyesight

What to do when you are sick of the routine?? - Do something random.

Re: Re-start - JWLBOYCE - 10-15-2010

THanks for this guys Smile

I do study Left brain subjects - and I also counter this by doing music - right brain. I really enjoy just stopping my homework and going to play the guitar, or organ or something - I find it helps me to relax.

Your right -- I was finding the habits a chore, rather than updating my interest by looking at our changing world Smile

Thanks

James

Re: Re-start - hammer - 10-16-2010

2xtreme2fit Wrote:What bores you, degrades you.

...When he found palming helped him, he asked:
"Can I do that too much?"
"No," he was told. "Palming is simply a means of resting your eyes, and you cannot rest them too much."
A few days later he returned and said:
"Doctor, it was tedious, very tedious; but I did it."
"What was tedious?" I asked.
"Palming," he replied. "I did it continuously for twenty hours."
"But you couldn't have kept it up for twenty hours continuously," I said incredulously. "You must have stopped to eat."
And then he related that from four o'clock in the morning until twelve at night he had eaten nothing, only drinking large quantities of water, and had devoted practically all of the time to palming. It must have been tedious, as he said, but it was also worth while. When he looked at the test card, without glasses, he read the bottom line at twenty feet. He also read fine print at six inches and at twenty...

I don't want to be tedious. Wink

Re: Re-start - Pikachu - 10-16-2010

Lol, tedium works for some people, I guess. Big Grin

Re: Re-start - 2xtreme2fit - 10-17-2010

"...and had devoted practically all of the time to palming."

The word here is DEVOTED. If he didn't want to regain his eyesight, would he have ever visited Dr. Bates?
And how many of us can keep ourselves interested for such a long time?
As such, routine palming is boring & not palming itself. James knows it by his experience.
If the quote didn't make sense to you, I can't help it - just let it be the way it is.

Re: Re-start - JWLBOYCE - 10-18-2010

Just a quick point - this is hard to explain, but I'll give it a go.

Has anyone else found that as their vision improves, they seem to notice more blur? I have found that, even though I can see further down on the eyechart, it seems that lots of other things are blurier at the moment. So for Example, a car number plate, something I previously don't remember if I saw clearly or not, now looks blurry if its from a distance of lets say 10 metres. Is this because your eyes just naturally avoid blurry objects if at all possible, when you are not thinking about them?

Thanks

James

Re: Re-start - JMartinC4 - 10-18-2010

JWLBOYCE Wrote:Has anyone else found that as their vision improves, they seem to notice more blur? I have found that, even though I can see further down on the eyechart, it seems that lots of other things are blurier at the moment. So for Example, a car number plate, something I previously don't remember if I saw clearly or not, now looks blurry if its from a distance of lets say 10 metres. Is this because your eyes just naturally avoid blurry objects if at all possible, when you are not thinking about them? Thanks James

This has been true for me as well, although the quality of the blur is different.
Questions: 1. Does the blur seem different from the usual blur - i.e., more like a shmeary/greasy/oily blur than a more overall blur - i.e., more like it is corneal/tearfilm related?
2. Is it usually associated with just one eye - maybe your worse eye or non-dominant eye?

I believe there are at least three levels of blur along the visual system pathways:
1. corneal tearfilm blur; 2. retinal blur; 3. mental blur.
I believe the 2nd and 3rd types of blur are actually a result of the 1st type, and occur largely because the two eyes have different levels of blur, and they do not work well together for distance looking. The different blurs become unified in the mind so as to be less distracting and at least allow the mind to concentrate.
The mind can't resolve the differences and so goes with the better eye input, stabilizing and fixating everything but not curing anything. The better eye becomes dominant. The other eye doesn't really know what to do with itself and just joins in whenever it can - which is at the nearpoint. As vision improves, so does coordination and synchronization of the two eyes' input. They start working together a little better. The different types of blur start to separate out again and the mind resists because it doesn't want to start over again. On the other hand, the flashes of clear(er) vision are a fascinating reward....