MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
Re-start - Printable Version
Eyesight Improvement Forum
Re-start - Printable Version

+- Eyesight Improvement Forum (https://www.iblindness.org/forum)
+-- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.iblindness.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Bates Method (https://www.iblindness.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: Re-start (/showthread.php?tid=1594)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Re: Re-start - seetheleaves - 12-10-2010

JWLBOYCE Wrote:To keep you updated

Ihave been taking this kind of tonic thingy for the last week or so, and have noticed a huge improvement iin my fatigue Smile - Thank you soo much Smile

I have been trying to palm for a few minutes before I go to sleep, but apart from that I really don't get time to do much - would you recommend that I try to build it in around my daily routine?

Thanks

James Smile

That's great!! What's in your tonic?
I have a hard time building palming into my daily habits as well. I actually find long swings are easier to do because it's less about imagining and more about doing. Unless I'm in the right frame of mind or know that I have extended down-time ahead of me it's hard to palm with any benefit because I'm just not focused on it.

Re: Re-start - JMartinC4 - 12-10-2010

Pikachu Wrote:I'd say that integrating palming, as with any exercise, into a daily routine can be quite difficult and should only be done if you really feel that you want to do it. Sorry, didn't know a better way to phrase that last sentence. What I'm saying is that if you're going to spend time palming, you should actually want to do it. If you don't want to do it, it's a waste of time, in my opinion. I've actually been trying Quackenbush's vision habit thingy and trying to use them as much as possible throughout the day. I only palm or swing when I feel like doing it.
Hmmm.... I think I have to disagree. I know, because I held the same opinion, that 'palming' seems like a big production - but in fact it is a simple resting method used by normal sighted people. I realized this when I happened across Dr. Bates' description of a one-handed alternate method of palming (in one of the magazine articles I found on the main website here).
For an anytime anywhere restful moment or more of palming, cover both eyes with one hand, laid directly across them, index finger along your browline. I've seen it before and now I know why normal sighted people do it. It is also much less conspicuous than the full out double handed palming method.
(Also, if you've seen people shade their eyes from the sun as they look into the distance on a sunny day - they place their closed and flattened hand, palm downward, along their browline, and it improves their distance vision by shutting off glare I suppose. American Indians apparently did it judging from stereotypical paintings and movies. If you then drop the hand so that it covers your eyes, you are one-handed palming.)

Re: Re-start - JWLBOYCE - 12-10-2010

HI - Ill check what is in the tonic for you as soon as I get home, I'm away until Sunday - It definitely has helped though Smile - thanks

I was speaking to a natural vision teacher yesterday, who basically convinced me that there was not much more she could tell me and that having lessons would be pointless, becasue she can only teach me the habits that I already know Smile
She also said that integrating palming can be very dificult and that I should try doing the next best thing - just close your eyes and do exactly the same. I do this quite frequently and it works for me Smile
Today I have been really concentrating on noticing opositional movement again, and on breathing abdominally, and it has definitely helped - I was sat in a Physics lesson, doing a test, and looked up about 5 or 6 times, and had clear flashes that lasted for that whole time - everything seemed to swing so much easier during that time as well. Today, I have had clearer vision all day Smile

Give you more info. when I get back Smile

James

Re: Re-start - Pikachu - 12-10-2010

@JMartinC4: Perhaps I wasn't clear enough in my post. What I was really referring to was the "palm-o-thons" that last half an hour or more. For those to be of any use, you have to actually want to do them. In contrast, palming for a few minutes here and there is really quite relaxing in most cases.

Re: Re-start - JWLBOYCE - 12-15-2010

hi again Smile

In the tonic is loads of vitamin A and B, and iron as well Smile
Its not that I don't want to palm - I would love to, its just I don't get time to, and it looks a bit funny to be doing in the middle of a free lesson at school haha Smile so Instead I rest my head down and close my eyes Smile
I'm not a big fan of long swings either - they are growing on me, but I find it reallly difficult not to notice anything - is this normal?!? Generally I try to imagine oppositional movement as much as possible during the day - is this just as good?

Thanks

James Smile

Re: Re-start - Pikachu - 12-15-2010

@JWLBOYCE: I don't see anything wrong with noticing objects as you swing. I believe that TRYING to notice objects while swinging is bad. As for trying to imagine oppositional movement throughout the day, I believe that it is even better, as long as you can keep it up throughout the entire day. I have problems remembering to do all the things I need to do (i.e. blinking, breathing, shifting, etc.), so I usually focus on one throughout the day. You might not have all of those problems though, so it might be easier for you.

Re: Re-start - JWLBOYCE - 12-16-2010

Right - I'll give it a go.

I often forget to practice good habits - but I chant in my head, Sketch, Blink, Breathe, Move, Centralise, Relax as are the 6 main points in Relearning to See, and it helps me.

Thanks Smile

James

Re: Re-start - Pikachu - 12-16-2010

Lol. For me, it's impossible to do all six simultaneously. I can't even do the first three at the same time. I've found that the easiest way to master them all is to focus on one at a time until each one becomes second-nature. You're already so close, so perhaps you don't have this problem?

Re: Re-start - JWLBOYCE - 12-20-2010

I find that when I concentrate on one, they all fall into place Smile

I have been watching some of the videos on cleareyesight.info, in particular the Close vision one - I have 20/10 vision up close, I can see 1.5 print from 14 inches, and I can centralise on the tiniest grains of sand, and having watched the video I have noticed one thing that I have been doing wrong with my distance vision.

When I look up close, the images just seem to glide past - I can long swing with no stopping at all, and everything seems to be so free and easy. That is what I have been doing wrong - I have just been looking at two points and centralising, rather than letting my eyes glide over every things and centralise - I suppose its locking on in a sense. Tomorrow I am going to make a really big effort to let everything glide in the distance and see how it goes.

Ill let you know Wink

James

Re: Re-start - JWLBOYCE - 12-23-2010

I'm getting really really frustrated with improving my eyesight at the moment - I've been off school for almost a week, and although I have been revising for exams in January, I have been trying my best to centralise, move, relax etc.

I have not felt tired, I have been having 9-10 hours sleep per night, and this week I haven't even had any sign of vision improvement over these holidays.

I am seriously considering just giving up, and wearing glasses/contacts when I am a pilot - I have been practicing the Bates Method for 2 years, and so far I have had about 5 clear patches that I believe are real, the rest I am thinking were just tears on my eyes. I am really really desperate not to have to meet the CAA Class 1 medical pilot exam vision standards that are 6/9 in each eye individually, and 6/6 in both eyes together, but I really don't think I will. I am well within the limits for the initial medical, that is -6.0, so I am thinking to myself, why don't I just go for the medical with glasses? The only thing stopping me is that it would go against what I have been practicing over the last 2 years (and even pilots who wear glasses don't look cool Smile )

I have 6 months before the Medical exam. So in these next 6 months I need to gain 20/20 or better vision. I will not give up until the moment I am sat in the optition's Chair at Gatwick Airport Medical Centre, and even after that I would not wear the "crutches" to see - only when I am flying, however, even then I would still feel defeated.

I am going to re-analyse all of the techniques, and have a re-re start as of now.

T = -6 months, current prescription, 20/50 and 20/100. In 6 months I WILL have 20/20 and 20/20, or better when t=0.

Please may someone tell me where to start - I am going to adopt the technique of focusing ono one technique at a time, for a week at a time, or until I have mastered it individually, then i will draw them all together.

Thanks, and merry christmas Smile

James Smile

Re: Re-start - JMartinC4 - 12-23-2010

Unjudgmentally - Since 'becoming a pilot' is more important to you than curing your nearpoint fixation disorder, I think you should probably do whatever you need to do to satisfy whatever is most important to you.
I suspect that, like me, you were somehow 'hypnotized' at birth to accept blurry vision as normal - and you can't unhypnotize yourself (and clear your eyesight permanently) until you figure out how you were hypnotized and what the post-hypnotic suggestions were. But you (and me, too!) can't figure that out because it was like a one-time pad secret code, only worse because nobody knew it was happening - not you, not your parents, not even the medical persons who prepared you for the hypnosis by instilling the eye antibiotics. Read about Hypnosis here: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypnosis">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypnosis</a><!-- m -->
and think about all the sounds and environmental effects that were going on while you were subjected to 20/400 blur in each eye, with a few seconds or more time differential between each eye.
Diabolically Difficult to figure out and overcome. But it was done for your own good, right? Newborns can't see anyway, right? Newborns don't remember anything anyway, right? Good luck!

Re: Re-start - JMartinC4 - 12-23-2010

On the other hand, MY eyesight and vision continues to improve. I AM gradually figuring out (even if it's mostly unconscious or subliminal) the secret hypnotic 'codes' that convinced me, as a NEWBORN, that blurry vision is normal and preferable when looking into the distance, and/or that if I keep looking at/fixating on blurry stuff it will become clear on its own, etc... And I'm doing that by constantly remembering the fact of my exposure to neonatal eye antibiotics, and by using the Bates Methods to try and counteract those hypnotic and muscle-memory effects. ...

Re: Re-start - seetheleaves - 12-24-2010

Oh no! Sad

I'm sad to hear that you are struggling! But I have to say that it sounds perfectly normal under you circumstances. Deadlines? The pressures of education and a (highly stressful) new skill? Pilots' testing? A due-date for perfect vision? ACK! You're stressing me out, it's no wonder your vision improvement hasn't taken a leap forward these days. My honest take on this is not different from JMartinC4
Quote:Unjudgmentally - Since 'becoming a pilot' is more important to you than curing your nearpoint fixation disorder, I think you should probably do whatever you need to do to satisfy whatever is most important to you.

Your first priority is the Pilot's license, that's clear and admirable. Everyone knows that the pressure that comes along with a pilot's responsibilities is intense (my brother is a pilot). I don't think anyone here would judge you for doing what you need to do to move your life forward. We've all needed glasses and contacts to get us through parts (sometimes very long parts) of our lives. There are members here who juggle wearing corrective lenses for work while still continuing Bates' practices every chance they get. Making a concession for your life's work does not mean you are abandoning Bates and natural sight forever. You know it's there, you know how to use it - the ultimate answer doesn't just go away because you take a step back from it. Perhaps after you've grown really comfortable with the next phase of your life you can - in a relaxed and confident way - pursue Bates Method full-time. But trying to cram in an intense-study of it under the limitations you have right now is definitely just adding pressure and therefore the exact opposite of what you are trying to achieve - relaxation.

And I think the whole (self-inflicted) stigma of wearing glasses as a pilot probably stems from not wanting to appear less capable than the other guys - I say that because when my brother had his first poor vision exam results that's the way he felt. He tried NVI while other guys got lasik. And those guys who got lasik probably did so to hide the perceived stigma of not being good enough. Given the options, wearing glasses for now isn't so bad - I mean, you're not cutting open your eye and throwing away your chances for NVI in the future. And in the meantime - when you aren't flying or studying, you can continue your Bates work - even if it's not for immediate results but just to learn it better. And it's still a great practice for helping you relax - something you'll definitely want to do between flights Smile

No worries! Hang in there!

Re: Re-start - JWLBOYCE - 12-24-2010

Ah righty, thank you guys, I see your viewpoint - just because I would need them to fly with, doesn't mean I would wear them all the time - Pilots under CAA Laws are only allowed to work 900 hours a year anyway, and then for the rest of the time I would not wear them.

Although flying is a tough career path, I think that it will be a lot more relaxing than what I am used to at the moment, and so I may find it easier to improve my vision Smile

I will definitely keep at the Bates Method though, and try my best (without straining) to meet the requirements without glasses, but I like your viewpoints that if I do have to wear glasses whilst flying, it would not be forever, just whilst I re-learn to relax.

I've noticed as well that I am an absolute perfectionist, which I know isn't good for getting clear eyesight, but I just can't help it. I play the organ, (and that may be another reason why I am maxed out at the moment - I've had 10 carol concerts in the last 2 weeks) and If I even make one tiny wrong note during the whole service, I am beating up on myself. I know its stupid, because lets say I play 5 carols, thats probably a few thousand notes I would play, and 1 was wrong. Its a tiny percentage error, but I still think I've done badly. It sounds really petty, and I have been trying to stop it, but I can't Confused

Thanks for your comments guys Smile - Have a greeat Christmas Smile

James Smile

Re: Re-start - JWLBOYCE - 12-29-2010

Hi Again,

Over the last few days, I seem to have made a few breakthroughs (I think - please may you let me know if you have experienced anything similar, and if they were helpful)

Firstly, let me apologise for my negativity in my previous post or two - I was just frustrated, tired and most of all, desperate to get 20/20 or better eyesight.

Over the last few days, I have been ill, and so have had lots of time to think. I have realised that I am able to see the white floaty objects that appear when most people with a prescription experience when they close their eyes. I spent about an hour just remembering what it was like when I had 20/10 vision, and especially the moments when my mum used to say, "James, you've got good eyesight, just read that for me." My favourite one is from when I was 10, on this perfectly sunny day, with not a cloud in the sky, when I read a diversion sign from over a mile away. I clearly remember my friend, who was sat in the back of the car, saying that he could not even see it with his glasses on, and the amount of pride I felt at that moment will drive me in improving my vision.

I just let my mind wander over all of the amazing things I could see, and indeed what I will be able to see again after I have overcome my temporary, but still annoying, bad habits.

Whilst my mind was wandering, I realised that I have had some major improvement in my eyesight. When I first started NVI my right eye was not switched on, and I built up images of the day that, after 3 months, I was able to see out of it again and the huge increase in peripheral awareness I gained. I remembered how I was moving my eyes so much, and how I was centralising well, and blinking.

I then noticed that all of the white floaty things had gone - I was just sat there with my eyes closed, brain working, and no floaty things.

When I started closing my eyes and thinking as I would normally, they started to re-appear, so I have decided my mind is too busy, and needs some centralisation as well.

I started to imagine I was walking down a corridor, and every few steps the walls would change colour. As I moved down the corridor, the corridor moved towards me. As I looked left, the corridor moved right. My eyes were centralising perfectly, and I could feel the relaxation running through my whole body. I imagined that the air I breathed in was red, representing all the pressure of our Left Brain Soceity, and that the air that I breathed out was blue, representing peace, and relaxation. As I was doing this, I could feel something in my hands and feet, so I decided that this was all of my stress being moved away from my body.

Hope this makes sense - I seem to have just rambled a bit Smile

James

Source for determination: I have been reading some posts on yahoo answers, and nearly all top answers about the Bates method are very sarcastically saying that the method doesn't work. The people that write these comments, and indeed the people who vote for them to be top, are very one minded in their view of NVI. Just because it doesn't work immediately, doesn't mean it doesn't work - Radiotherapy doesn't work immediately, but it certainly does its part in killing cancerous cells.
These answers have made me even more determined than ever to be able to say, "I used to have a prescription, although small. Now, I don't wear Contacts, Glasses and I haven't had any surgery, but I have clear, natural eyesight." And I'll prove it to them by reading a diversion sign again Smile