MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
Re-start - Printable Version
Eyesight Improvement Forum
Re-start - Printable Version

+- Eyesight Improvement Forum (https://www.iblindness.org/forum)
+-- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.iblindness.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Bates Method (https://www.iblindness.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: Re-start (/showthread.php?tid=1594)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Re: Re-start - Nancy - 12-29-2010

Congratulations on your change in attitude -- this is very important. A positive relaxed mindset coupled with the right vision habits will get you there -- many people have one but forget the other, but I've found both are necessary for me to continue to improve.

Re: Re-start - JWLBOYCE - 01-01-2011

Thank you Smile - I am feeling the beniefits already.

I have been making a huge effort to practice good vision habits - it has had a great impact already Smile

THanks

James

Re: Re-start - seetheleaves - 01-04-2011

Hi James,

Great job on pinpointing those memories which will help you move forward! Smile I think the same thing is happening for me - although my imaginings are more about what I want to be in the future (since I don't have memories of great eyesight as a child). Yesterday as I was palming I let my mind wander to the feeling of achieving what I wanted most (which isn't perfect eyesight, actually, - it's more about who I want to be) and I indulged that dream for a long time, just enjoying how inspiring it was. Then I opened my eyes and looked at my Snellen and I swear I saw so clearly and without any effort at all that I was amazed! And the little voice inside of me said something like: 'all you need for seeing is a visceral JOY and desire...'

The other thing I would add is that I'm a perfectionist too. I had another breakthrough about a week ago where I understood that my perfectionism is just another form of staring. Such as...I want something to be perfect and I grip onto it and try to control it and basically squeeze out all of the spontaneity and fluidity that's naturally there. And it feels to me exactly like gripping onto a scene with my eyes, trying to see everything perfectly at once, denying the universal swing, blocking out the movement, not enjoying the spontaneity of seeing but trying to hold everything perfectly still instead. It has helped me tremendously to remind myself of this habit of 'life staring' whenever I realise how frustrated I am when I slip into perfectionism.

Re: Re-start - JWLBOYCE - 01-04-2011

Nice work, well done Smile - I suppose I don't really give myself enough credit for clear patches I do have. Even if it is water on my lens, its still clear isn't it? I can close my eyes and relax and when I open them, things may be clear for maybe half a minute. Not 20/20 clear yet, but definitely clearer. How do you manage to keep it there?!?

That is a very good analogy - I am going to try my best to stop being a perfectionist, and just be an "Ill-do-my-best-onist." Its just soo hard to stop it though, for example. For my pilot training course I need 5 Cs in the GCSEs, (which are what you sit when you are 16, for any people who aren't from Britain). I got 7A*s. 3As, and 3 distinctions in BTECs. So All in all, including the BTEC Equivalents, I Have 17A*s and 3As. To work for British Airways you need 2Cs at A-Level (which is the equivalent of the SAT in the USA). I am sitting 4, but I just cannot imagine how I would feel if I did not get all A*s and As. Its really silly, but I just can't let the exam beat me (or anyone else in my year).

I think we are at roughly the same stage in our Natural Vision Improvement Smile

James

Re: Re-start - seetheleaves - 01-04-2011

Quote:I think we are at roughly the same stage in our Natural Vision Improvement

Yes it sounds like it! Smile

How do I keep clear flashes? Let's see.... Well, if I'm looking at the Snellen I like to roll over a line as if I'm reading it instead of stopping at each letter - I find that this prevents me from affixing a stare to one specific letter. So for example I would read:

F E L O P Z D

as: "fel ohp zid"

and then swiftly move on to 'reading' another line or section of a line - It's like doing a short swing across the chart. Or I just do short swings where I trace the borders of the chart back and forth, up and down, or horizontally across to keep my eyes moving. I take short glances at the actual letters when I feel confident that I'm relaxed, but only short, not long enough to stare. When I know that I am losing my clear flash I close my eyes to prevent myself from straining to keep the flash going.

If I'm not working with the Snellen and I'm outside then I shift my attention alot and practice simple central fixation or looking for details to prolong clear flashes (and these aren't neccessarily long-lasting singular clear flashes but more like multiple, spontaneous clear flashes that come and go often, alternating with my normal lowered vision)

I commend your determination to excel in your studies! You don't have to lower your exam expectations - maybe instead you could try to decrease the pressure you feel when you are studying for them. Every now and then stop and remind yourself that you understand what you are learning (even if you don't Wink ) and that you feel confident in your ability to remember the information when the time comes, that you trust you will achieve the results you deserve. Add in some palming or swinging to enhance the relaxation and see what happens...

As always - good luck! Smile

(oh and as a sidenote - when you DO get a job with BA maybe you could tell Heathrow Airport to stop being such a clusterf*#^! ;D )

Re: Re-start - JWLBOYCE - 01-04-2011

Thank you very much.

I had to take my eye chart down so I could put up christmas decorations, but it is going back up on Thursday, so I'll give that a go.

It is remembering to practice the techniques whilst I am doing other things that I find hard - Ill keep at it though Smile

I will try that with my revision and homework as well Smile

Well, if it was up to me there would be a third runway there - it is awfully busy for the pilots Smile

Thank you very much

James Wink

Re: Re-start - JWLBOYCE - 01-05-2011

Today I have been trying my best to practice good vision habits all day.

I am quite pleased - after JMartinC4 mentioned about hypnotism, I decided that I would try to self hypnotise myself to maybe find out where my strain occurs, if that makes sense. For the last few days just before I go to sleep, when I am lying in bed, I practice this self hypnotism method. Although I have not found the cause of my strain, I notice that whenever I have finished my eyesight is noticibly clearer, although not 20/20, but it is still an improvement.

This morning, I went into the kitchen to get breakfast, and read the clock on the oven. It was not perfectly clear, but I read it - 11:17, its still in my memory Smile So its a good start Smile

I am back to school tomorrow, and until today I thought that means no clear patches etc. However I have made a positive change today - I can have clear patches when at school. Just becasue now it is hard work at school, doesn't mean it always has been, so I am going to remember all of the times at school when I have had 20/20 vision, and indeed when I first started there when I was 10, 20/10 vision.

I have a nice relaxed timetable tomorrow - physics with my favourite teacher, who only seems to make us laugh and doesn't seem to teach us anything (although he does), and geography with another funny teacher. Three free lessons in the afternoon can give me chance to do some homework. And that is another thing that I have just though of - I always seem to be rushing in my free lessons to finish my work before I get home. If I am relaxed then I can spread it out over the time, and not get to stressed at one particular time.

Last thing - I notice that when I look up close, my eyes glide over everything. Far away they jump. That is my main focus of tomorrow: I am going to glide my eyes freely and easily over my target, that will be a small patch in the centre of my eyesight.

I shall let you know how it goes Smile

James Smile

Re: Re-start - JWLBOYCE - 01-06-2011

Eyechart is back up today, now im up to the 20/60 or 20/70 mark Confused, so Its a step in the wrong direction for now, but I'm putting that down to it being the first day back at college.

I have been trying my best to let objects glide past me all day, with mixed results. It started off really well, I was managing it really easily when I first got up, and in the library during my free lessons, there was definitely a marked improvement for about 15 minutes. Not 20/20 yet though, but definitely clearer - the edges of everything seemed a lot sharper.

However, then, as commonly occurs, when I went outside after school, I just couldn't see anything properly - it is always like an unclear flash, but it is horrible. I literally have to be about 5 feet away from someone to know who it is - it is horrible, and happens quite often. Any Ideas?!?

Thanks

James Smile

Re: Re-start - Pikachu - 01-06-2011

Why do you think your vision gets worse when you leave school? You say it frequently occurs, so logically, there must be something going on. I think that if you can figure out what that something is, you can figure out how to relieve yourself of the problem. Perhaps it is some source of stress, some anxiety or fear, or possibly even a subconscious habit. If it is one of the first two, you need to take steps to eliminate it. If it is the last one, you may want to do some exercises during the time said problem occurs.

I don't know what it is or what would definitely fix it. I have enough difficulty trying to figure out my own problems and fixing those. I'm just giving you some suggestions in the hopes that you can figure something out. Good luck!

Re: Re-start - 2xtreme2fit - 01-07-2011

Quote:However, then, as commonly occurs, when I went outside after school, I just couldn't see anything properly - it is always like an unclear flash, but it is horrible. I literally have to be about 5 feet away from someone to know who it is - it is horrible, and happens quite often. Any Ideas?!?

Look into your life, there's something definitely negative about leaving school - perhaps the fun ended for you outside school, or maybe its the Sun, or seeing your parents. Look into all your possibilities, narrow it down to a single reason.
I'm not saying this well help overcome that unclear duration, but you will know it will keep on happening until you change your outlook about it.

Re: Re-start - JWLBOYCE - 01-07-2011

Today it happened again.

I've read part of a post in the exercise desciption forum, saying you need to relax your mind, and that people generally make the bates method overcomplicated. Centering and relaxing my mind is what I don';t do - last night I was complaining to my mum about things that were happening as far away as July. I need to be living in today and in the present.

I'll give it a go Smile

James

Re: Re-start - seetheleaves - 01-07-2011

"Presence" is a great way to center your mind.
Whenever your mind runs away from you, you can move your focus to the 5 senses. Let yourself feel instead of think. Or move your focus entirely to your breathing.
It's challenging at first, but with some practice it gets easier.
A clear mind = clear vision.
Smile

Re: Re-start - JWLBOYCE - 01-07-2011

That is definitely true - Whenever I manage to clear my head, I feel so much more relaxed and then I should be able to see clearly. I say should, because most of the time I manage this just before going to sleep so it is dark.

In the post also, it mentioned about being on the brink of improvement at all times, its just you need to release the strain. I often find my self really tired, and find myself getting confused in my head because it is so busy. On these occasions I can close my eyes for a second or two, and produce a clear flash. I suppose I should make more use of these times when they arise.

Thanks

James Smile

Re: Re-start - JWLBOYCE - 01-10-2011

Over the weekend I have been concentrating on mindfulness, which is getting easier by the day. I have found, like other people reported, that I can go to sleep much faster - last night it was about 15 minutes, compared with 3 and a half hours last week! I have also been having more vivid dreams. 2 clear flashes.on friday and 2 on sunday as well. I'll give you some more info. when I get to a computer Smile

James
Sent from my HTC

Re: Re-start - JWLBOYCE - 01-11-2011

Mindfulness and positive affirmations are my favourite things to do now - They have helped me so much. On sunday, the clear patchse left my head, only momentarily, feeling absolutely clear, and like I said, I have been having more vivid dreams and getting to sleep faster.
Today, It has been quite sunnny where I live, and that has helped as well. I have noticed how much free-er my movements are and I noticed how small the movements I was making were without trying to practice them today - they were just natural.

I have had laods of clear vision today - Even after school was clear. It could be becasue It was lighter than normal? Im not sure, but today has been a very clear day, both weather and vision wise Smile

I came home and the 20/50 line looked clearer than it did yesterday, and I could make out (with probably the same amount of blur that the 20/50 line had yesterday) the 20/40 line Smile

I am absolutely shattered alll the time though, which I think is the cause of my temporary loss of normal visual acuity. I put it down to school, but I mentioned it to the doctor, who said he wants me to have a blood test. So that is all booked in for about 2 weeks.

Thanks

James Smile